watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

From today's Times: "Concerns at Fulham put Martin Jol’s position in doubt"

Started by Burt, September 27, 2013, 09:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Fulham could part company with Martin Jol next month. The club have concerns about the team's form, a run of only two wins and nine defeats in the past 13 league games that stretches back to April, and problems between the academy staff and manager that they attempted to patch up in a meeting this week.

There are also concerns among fans about an ageing team and the relationship between Jol and some players, such as Ashkan Dejagah, who has been sidelined this season.

Jol's contract expires at the end of this season and Fulham have been considering appointing René Meulensteen to work alongside him, although Roberto Di Matteo, the Italian who was in talks with Galatasaray, would be a front-runner if there was a change in manager.

Meulensteen was dismissed by Anzhi Makhachkala, having previously worked under Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. Fulham are at home to Cardiff City tomorrow.

Shahid Khan, who bought Fulham for £150 million in the summer, is believed to have spent the past couple of months examining how the club have been run, their finances, strategy and transfers. There are thought to be concerns about some fees paid as part of the deals, although there is no suggestion of anything untoward by club officials.

Khan is the sixth American owner of a Barclays Premier League team. A number of them have privately expressed surprise and dismay about the way that transfer deals are conducted in England, the role of agents and third parties.

Jol ended last season with his position in doubt. The club released 12 players this summer and brought in eight. Last season he was close to being dismissed but won the final game. Gustavo Poyet, the former Brighton & Hove Albion manager, was linked with the position at the time.

Some of the fans have turned on Jol this season. They believed that he had signed players with whom he had previously been associated in his career, rather than having identified players for a position.

They are also unhappy about his reliance on players aged over 30 although the club issued a statement this week saying that Jol believed that a balance of youth and experience was key to his plans.

Fulham conceded late goals against Burton Albion in the Capital One Cup, Newcastle United and West Bromwich Albion, which was blamed on Jol having older players. There is unhappiness that some of the club's youth players have not been promoted, about who motivates the team and concern among fans at how Jol was critical and fined Pajtim Kasami when he missed a penalty in a Carling Cup tie against Chelsea in 2011. The club's under-18 side won the past two National Finals and the under-21 side have impressed.

Fulham ended a winless sequence at home of six matches dating back to April with defeat of Everton in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday.

Jol understands the fans' concern. "They're entitled to [be worried]," Jol said. "I'm concerned as well, even the players, even my captain [Brede Hangeland]. If Bent is not there, Berbatov is injured, you realise with the youngsters — [Alex] Kacaniklic and Kasami — there's maybe not enough goals.

"The West Bromwich game was awful; the final minute of the game, the 93rd minute, and we gave away two points. We had four opportunities, the ball was in the net four times and they scored an equaliser. It was pretty tough for us, but if everybody is there, I think we're strong enough to make steps and have a good season."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article3880440.ece

leonffc

Jol understands the fans' concern. "They're entitled to [be worried]," Jol said. "I'm concerned as well, even the players, even my captain [Brede Hangeland]. If Bent is not there, Berbatov is injured, you realise with the youngsters — [Alex] Kacaniklic and Kasami — there's maybe not enough goals.

So its the youngsters fault that we dont score enough? Nothing to do with Ruiz, Kara, and the other senior pro's.

Kasami and Kacanikilic have a lot to answer for!! Another example of brilliant man management  fp.gif

Ordar

The way Jol handled the Kasami incident was a joke.

And I dunno what Jol is on about. He brought these players to the club. There shouldnt be many incidents where both Berbatov and Bent are both injured. Plus Rodellega and Ruiz SHOULD be chipping in goals (which they dont). I think placing the blame on the young players is bad form, especially as Kasami's goal at Sunderland actually won us a game we had no right winning

Holders

I think that I could have written almost all that article and I don't pretend to have any inside information.

So whether it represents anything more tangible than any observer could have come up with I really don't know, except that there are just two ponts that are new to me which might lend a bit more credibility to the whole: 1. the meeting between Jol and the academy staff. 2. The comment that Khan doesn't like deal-making payments. I don't suppose any of us do but if they're legal, part and parcel and other clubs pay them, the only way we can avoid them as things stand is not to sign anybody.

If there are now 6 US owners of PL teams maybe they might build up a bit of pressure to change things by working together but the temptation will always be to make an important deal.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Roberty

It is just stating the obvious - Kaca has not been prolific - 3 goals I think - if we are relying on him for goals we go down.
He is there to provide for the B's and hopefully the Everton game was a turning point
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

TonyGilroy

The two points of interest for me are firstly the alleged problem between Jol and the academy coaches and secondly Khan's unhappiness with the way transfer deals are conducted.

Those didn't come from reading message boards.

I'd like to have chapter and verse on the former but I'm guessing the academy coaches would like more opportunities for more of their "product". So would we all but perhaps you need the experience more when things aren't going well. Bringing kids into a losing team may not be helpful.

Our transfer market is dysfunctional and numerous agents appear dishonest but I'm not sure that one club can take a stand without inflicting serious damage on themselves. Collective action is what's needed.

TonyGilroy

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

jarv

Seems like every time Jol opens his mouth he puts his foot in it. When he says "worried" I think it is with a shrug of the shoulders. Get the feeling from many of his comments he is a stubborn individual.  management of In any business, being stubborn is not a good idea.

TonyGilroy

Stubborn bad but decisive good. A thin line.

Whatever your take on Jol his press conferences really shouldn't be picked apart. It's his second language and managers mostly just utter cliches.

Deanothefulhamfan

I do think Jol should perhaps let someone else talk to the press, as he does seem to cause problems for himself with the way he speaks about players.

That being said, I am surprised we are having so much negative media attention, after us winning in midweek against an unbeaten Everton side, and putting in the performance of the season.

Jol got it spot on midweek, and actually deserves a little praise this week. We will see what he does at the weekend with a fit again Ruiz, hopefully he starts on the bench.

Classic94

The article just reaffirms what we already know - Jol seems reluctant to change his approach and this could be his undoing. In my opinion, his job is still very much on the line. It was a very important result midweek, and I thought the second-half was the best we've played all season. However, one result does not excuse 12 months of poor form. A loss to Cardiff tomorrow and the positivity from the Everton game will be short lived.

Lighthouse

Not so sure about this at all. The way we play annoys fans. The age thing is part of the concern. But when Jol says something about a problem he has had since he arrived the answer is always well couldn't you have solved the problem by now.

The whole Bent thing is a mystery. We have him on loan because we bought a youngster who blah blah blah. I really don't understand it. But besides everything it simply comes down to the way we play.

I will say, that a day after a youngster makes public how well they get on with Jol, we hear there is problem between Jol and the Acadamy. We simply don't know about what is accurate and what is tittle tattle. But the way we play in such a negative way and the way Jol makes excuses about some players and is critical of others has always been a concern.

Interesting how this pans out.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bigalffc

One MJ leaves the club this week another one to follow-and not beforw time.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Logicalman

I'm not going to repeat Holders and TG's comments, but those are the only two talking points.

The article appears somewhat disjointed at times, starting a paragraph about Meulensteen, then abruptly ending it telling us Fulham are at home to Cardiff. Apart from the academy (currently unsubstantiated) item, the rest is just trawled up news items from each week of this season, or what appears to be a general view of American owners as to how transfers are conducted, which, again, is nothing new.

Perhaps this article is closer to what American owners are finding in the Prem American custodians struggling to grasp Premier League riches

Fulham76

They forgot to mention that Jol thinks he'll win away games without attacking.

Burt

Yes, on balance it does seem to be a slow news day space filler of an article cobbled together by surfing the boards, rehashing old stuff, etc. etc.

The only new bit was the academy relations and the examination of some of the deals.

I wonder how much smoke can be generated without there being an actual fire...?

:dft011:

nose

strange timing for this piece.
I am a jol critic but we just had a great win and if that starts a confidence boost leading to a good run then that is what we want. Andthe second half was so encouraging that i am porepared to wait for another game or two, that wasn't a flukey win it was a great performance! We should pat everyone on the back and say keep it up, not insult them.
If we play poorly again on saturday, then is the time to have a go.

MasterHaynes

The first manager casualty has gone, predictably it was Di Canio, the press are now after  filling their columns with the next candidate, if we win on Saturday and Newcastle, Norwich & Villa all lose watch the stories start coming out on those three managers.
I'm sure when these back paper journalists get together they rubbed their hands with glee when a manager they targeted gets the chop.