more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (28/09/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 28, 2013, 07:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Parker In The Programme

The 2013/14 season is a big one for Scott Parker.

As well as looking to establish himself in the black and white of Fulham following his August switch from Tottenham Hotspur, the midfielder is determined to win back his place in the England squad as Roy Hodgson's side attempt to secure a spot at next year's World Cup.

Parker told Saturday's matchday programme: "First and foremost, the key thing when you're trying to get into an England squad is that your form needs to be good, and the team you're with needs to be doing quite well really. I feel like everything's in place to achieve that because we [Fulham] are a good team that could achieve something this year and I feel like I'm in a good place personally to do that as well.

"It's going to be difficult; as a nation we want to bring through the younger lads and I can totally appreciate that but, at the same time, I feel that if I can play some good football and get in good form then I'll have a decent chance of earning a place back in the squad."

To read the full interview with Parker, in which he also recalls an incident while at Newcastle United that saw Fulham's Jimmy Bullard sidelined for 16 months, pick up an official matchday programme on Saturday.

Other exclusives in the only matchday magazine that matters - which is available to download digitally from 9am on Saturday - include:

Chairman Shahid Khan's thoughts on the season so far
Martin Jol's regular programme notes
Maarten Stekelenburg takes the Fulham 50 challenge
Former Cardiff City defender Darren Purse on this weekend's clash
Steve Wigley on the second-year scholars at his disposal
And Leroy Rosenior is Yesterday's Hero
Priced £3.50, the 84-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Fans can also order copies directly from www.programmemaster.com

The programme is also available as an app with added video content from 9am on Saturday, so whether you're at home or away, you need never be without it on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Apple's Newsstand. The programme is also available via the Pocketmags app on Kindle Fire and Blackberry Playbook. You can subscribe for the whole season for the digital edition or buy a single issue for £1.99.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/27/parker-plan?

WhiteJC

Burn hopes Birmingham run can aid Fulham role

Dan Burn is hoping Birmingham City's cup run will earn him a new Fulham deal.

On loan Cottagers defender Burn netted his first goal for City in their 3-1 League Cup win over Swansea City on Wednesday.

The display put Birmingham in the last 16 for the first time since 2011 when they went on to beat Arsenal in the final.

Burn reckons Blues are on the march again.

But he is looking at the big picture at Craven Cottage.

Burn, 21, said: "I've got one more year left at Fulham, hopefully I can make the first team.
"It's always been my aim to play in the Premier League with Fulham.
"That's what I've wanted ever since signing for them.
"I had good experience on loan with Yeovil last season, now this is the next step.
"I'm trying to prove myself in the Championship.
"But I'm enjoying being at Birmingham this season. And now we're starting to get results, the confidence is building."

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/33042-burn-hopes-birmingham-run-can-aid-fulham-role.php#.UkZ5bBwctwc

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol admits the difference between success and failure in Premier League is nothing

Martin Jol is aware success and failure in the Premier League is determined by fine margins and hopes, for once this season, luck is on the side of Fulham against Cardiff on Saturday.

The Cottagers beat Everton in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday to end a six-match winless sequence at home, but are still chasing a second league win of the season following the opening-day defeat of Sunderland.

"The difference between being successful and not is nothing," said Jol, who was booed following Fulham's most recent home league game, the draw with West Brom.

"If we had won the game against West Brom, we would've been in the top half of the table."

Instead, Fulham enter this weekend's fixtures lying in the relegation zone.

Yet Jol is boosted by the prospect of fielding on-loan Aston Villa striker Darren Bent up front alongside Dimitar Berbatov, having had limited opportunity to do so in the early weeks of the season.

Fulham are without first-choice goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg (shoulder), winger Ashkan Dejagah (calf) and defender Matthew Briggs (hernia), but defender Aaron Hughes (thigh) and midfielder Bryan Ruiz (ankle) could return if they pass fitness tests.

Jol has confidence the temporary move for Bent will pay dividends this term, with the England striker's start yielding two goals, despite being curtailed by injury.

The recruitment of Bent was better business, according to Jol, than Cardiff's big-money deal for Andreas Cornelius, who was signed on a reported £8million deal from FC Copenhagen.

"We knew him (Cornelius)," Jol said. "He was on our shadow list, but I thought it was not only too much, but we couldn't afford to buy him.

"We've got Bent. That is probably not long-term, because he will go back to Aston Villa, probably.

"During the time he (Bent) is here, hopefully he will score goals and hopefully more than Cornelius."

Jol hopes Cardiff's open approach will aid his side, but he is also wary of the newly-promoted Welshmen.

"If you look at Cardiff, they're very organised," Jol said.

"They've got pace up front and they've always got some activity. They'd like to hurt you.

"It's not a walkover, of course not. It's a strong team with good qualities. They've invested a few bob as well.

"It won't be easy, but how many games are easy in the league?

"It's never easy. They will come at you, they will try to have a go.

"You get more space and normally it's easier. If you get more space with the players we've got - and we've got some space up front now - hopefully we can make it easier for ourselves.

"If not, I can live with a narrow win as well.

"Hopefully we are strong enough."

Like Jol, Sweden winger Alex Kacaniklic knows the quality of Cardiff, who beat Manchester City earlier in the season.

"Cardiff are a good side and they have shown that already with good results," Kacaniklic said.

"We go into every game with the same mentality, to win the game and play our football.

"I saw the game against Manchester City and that shows that they are a very good side. They are good on the counter and work hard."

Kacaniklic hopes for successive wins.

"If you keep winning, everybody gets used to winning," he added.

"We won (on Tuesday), three points on Saturday and then we have another home game, so that could be another three points."

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-09-27/fulham-boss-martin-jol-admits-the-difference-between-success-and-failure-in-premier-league-is-nothing/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Cardiff City: Martin Jol hopes for change of luck - and three points this weekend
The Cottagers have not won in the league since the opening day of the season

Martin Jol is aware success and failure in the Barclays Premier League is determined by fine margins and hopes, for once this season, luck is on the side of Fulham against Cardiff on Saturday.

The Cottagers beat Everton in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday to end a six-match winless sequence at home, but are still chasing a second league win of the season following the opening-day defeat of Sunderland.

"The difference between being successful and not is nothing," said Jol, who was booed following Fulham's most recent home league game, the draw with West Brom.

"If we had won the game against West Brom, we would've been in the top half of the table."

Instead, Fulham enter this weekend's fixtures lying in the relegation zone.

Yet Jol is boosted by the prospect of fielding on-loan Aston Villa striker Darren Bent up front alongside Dimitar Berbatov, having had limited opportunity to do so in the early weeks of the season.

Fulham are without first-choice goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg (shoulder), winger Ashkan Dejagah (calf) and defender Matthew Briggs (hernia), but defender Aaron Hughes (thigh) and midfielder Bryan Ruiz (ankle) could return if they pass fitness tests.

Jol has confidence the temporary move for Bent will pay dividends this term, with the England striker's start yielding two goals, despite being curtailed by injury.

The recruitment of Bent was better business, according to Jol, than Cardiff's big-money deal for Andreas Cornelius, who was signed on a reported £8million deal from FC Copenhagen.

"We knew him (Cornelius)," Jol said. "He was on our shadow list, but I thought it was not only too much, but we couldn't afford to buy him.

"We've got Bent. That is probably not long-term, because he will go back to Aston Villa, probably.

"During the time he (Bent) is here, hopefully he will score goals and hopefully more than Cornelius."

Jol hopes Cardiff's open approach will aid his side, but he is also wary of the newly-promoted Welshmen.

"They've got pace up front and they've always got some activity. They'd like to hurt you.

"It's not a walkover, of course not. It's a strong team with good qualities. They've invested a few bob as well.

"You get more space and normally it's easier. If you get more space with the players we've got - and we've got some space up front now - hopefully we can make it easier for ourselves.

Like Jol, Sweden winger Alex Kacaniklic knows the quality of Cardiff, who beat Manchester City earlier in the season.

"Cardiff are a good side and they have shown that already with good results," Kacaniklic said.

"We go into every game with the same mentality, to win the game and play our football.

"I saw the game against Manchester City and that shows that they are a very good side. They are good on the counter and work hard."

"We won (on Tuesday), three points on Saturday and then we have another home game, so that could be another three points."

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-v-cardiff-city-martin-jol-hopes-for-change-of-luck--and-three-points-this-weekend-8844348.html

WhiteJC

Premier League: Martin Jol insists margins are fine between success and failure

Martin Jol is hoping that luck will be on the side of Fulham when they entertain Cardiff City on Saturday.

The Cottagers are without a league win since the opening day of the season at the Stadium of Light - and their last home league win came against QPR on 1 April.

"The difference between being successful and not is nothing," said Jol. "If we had won the game against West Brom, we would've been in the top half of

the table.

"If you look at Cardiff, they're very organised. They've got pace up front and they've always got some activity. They'd like to hurt you.

"It's not a walkover, of course not. It's a strong team with good qualities.

They've invested a few bob as well.

"You get more space and normally it's easier. If you get more space with the

players we've got - and we've got some space up front now - hopefully we can

make it easier for ourselves.

"If not, I can live with a narrow win as well. Hopefully we are strong enough."

Like Jol, Sweden winger Alex Kacaniklic knows the quality of Cardiff and expects a thorough test on Saturday.

"We go into every game with the same mentality, to win the game and play our

football.

"I saw the game against Manchester City and that shows that they are a very

good side. They are good on the counter and work hard."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8944361?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Cardiff

Fulham were not very good for an hour or so on Tuesday against Everton in the Capital One Cup, but then they looked a completely different team - I suspect Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent will be the partnership that starts up front against the Bluebirds.

Cardiff were beaten in injury time by Tottenham last week but they stayed in the game for so long because of their goalkeeper David Marshall and I think he will be in for another busy afternoon.

The Cottagers have not won since they beat Sunderland on the opening day of the season but I don't think they have got anything to worry about. A win here will lift them up the table and out of the relegation zone - and that is what I expect to happen.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1
Green's prediction: 0-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24281521

WhiteJC

Fulham v Cardiff

By Alistair Mann
BBC Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday, 28 August

Fulham pair Aaron Hughes and Bryan Ruiz face fitness tests on their respective thigh and ankle injuries.
Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg, Ashkan Dejagah and Matthew Briggs are all still sidelined.

Cardiff forward Peter Odemwingie could be rewarded with his first Premier League start for the club after scoring on his full debut in the midweek League Cup defeat at West Ham.

Fellow striker Andreas Cornelius remains out with an ankle problem.

MATCH PREVIEW
When Fulham beat QPR on 1 April, it virtually ensured their Premier League status and, with eight games still left to play, it seemed another top-ten finish was within their grasp.

However, they subsequently ended the campaign by claiming just four more points, losing six of those final matches and scoring just seven more goals in the process.

That stuttering form has again plagued them at the beginning of this season too. Fulham have earned just one point since the opening-day win at Sunderland, leaving them in the bottom three of the fledgling table. Only three goals scored indicates their most significant failure.

Fulham's April Fools Day success remains their last three-point haul at home. A heartening midweek victory in the Capital One Cup against Everton did at least bring some respite at Craven Cottage - the fact that the scorers were Darren Bent and Dimitar Berbatov was equally significant too.

The weekend visitors have also been disappointing of late; Cardiff are winless in the last three, having failed to capitalise on their stunning efforts in humbling Manchester City.

Like Fulham, Cardiff have also found goalscoring a problem - drawing a blank on three occasions already. Top scorer Frazier Campbell's brace against Manuel Pellegrini's Manchester City side is his only successful day so far.

With such statistics, it's perhaps heartening to note that there's never been a goalless draw in the history of a fixture which dates back to the 1920s!

The football annals also offer a particularly good omen for the visiting supporters, as the last time Cardiff won an away game in the top division was back in 1961 at...Craven Cottage.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
The clubs last met 15 years ago, with Fulham winning 2-1 in each leg of their League Cup first-round tie.

Cardiff won the most recent league encounter 4-1 at Fulham in January 1997 when both clubs were in the Football League's lowest tier.

There has never been a goalless draw in 25 league and cup matches between the two clubs at Craven Cottage.

Fulham
Fulham are winless in their last six league matches at Craven Cottage. The draw with West Brom a fortnight ago ended a run of five straight home defeats.
That is their only point in four matches since winning at Sunderland on the opening day.
They have kept just one clean sheet in their last 17 home matches in the Premier League (1-0 v Stoke on 23 February).
Martin Jol's side are the joint-lowest scorers in the division with three goals in five matches.
Last season's 15-goal top scorer Dimitar Berbatov has yet to score in four league appearances this campaign.

Cardiff
Cardiff's last top-flight away win came against Fulham in November 1961. They have since drawn four and lost 11 of their 15 away fixtures in the division.
The Bluebirds didn't manage a single attempt on target during last Sunday's defeat by Tottenham, who had 29 shots - the most by any team in a Premier League game this season.
They have only led a Premier League match for 11 minutes this season - in the 3-2 home win over Manchester City.
All four of their Premier League goals have come after half time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24185239?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Cardiff manager Malky Mackay says Martin Jol is the right man for Fulham

Malky Mackay has backed under-fire Fulham manager Martin Jol as he prepares to take his Cardiff side to Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Fulham currently lie in the relegation zone in the Barclays Premier League with only four points from their first five matches.

But Mackay believes Fulham's midweek Capital One Cup victory over Everton proves the experienced Dutchman is still the right man to take Fulham forward.

"People have an opinion in football and these days with the social media aspect it is highlighted even more.

"But Martin is an experienced manager who has a group who have just gone and beaten Everton on Tuesday night. It just shows you the strength of the team.

"They are a club who have been in the Premier League for a good number of years and they are very stable."

Cardiff are themselves looking for the first victory in four matches. Mackay is relishing the challenge of trying to get his side back to winning ways but says the game against Fulham will be no easy task.

"We realise it is an away game and that's tough as you have seen every week," he said. "But we are relishing going up there even though it will be a tough task.

"I know the individual skill that at least half a dozen of their present team have got and they have five or six individual match winners and an experienced manager, so we have a task in hand but we are looking forward to it.

"Every week there is a challenge in the Premier League and there is no easy week.

"If you ever start thinking like that, then good luck, because I am not sure you will last very long.

"It's about making sure you treat everyone with the same importance and it is the same as last year."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8944388?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham v Cardiff City match preview
A
look ahead to Saturday's Premier League fixture at Craven Cottage

Martin Jol's side began the season with a confident 1-0 win against bottom of the table Sunderland, but have unfortunately failed to maintain this winning form since, having picked up just one point in their other four games. But after a 2-1 mid-week win against Everton in the Capital one Cup, things look on the up.

Cardiff City have had a turbulent introduction to the Premier League losing their first game to West Ham, but then going on and pulling off a tremendous home performance against Manuel Pellegrini's formidable Manchester City squad, resulting in a 3-2 win to the newcomers.

Malky Mackay's men find themselves one point ahead of their opposition leading up to Saturday's fixture and will be yearning for a win, hoping to distance themselves from the ever approaching relegation zone. Fulham find themselves currently third from bottom and are in desperate need of a win and those precious three points, which should enable them to climb out of the bottom three.

KICK-OFF: Saturday, 3pm.

PAST THREE MEETINGS:

Cardiff 1 (Eckhardt) – Fulham 2 (Salako, Morgan), League Cup, August 1998.

Fulham 2 (Beardsley, Lehmann) – Cardiff 1 (Williams), League Cup, August 1998.

Fulham 1 (Eckhardt OG) – Cardiff 4 (Fowler, White 2, Haworth), League Division 3, January 1997.

STATS:

The two sides have faced one another in 47 league fixtures, with 20 wins each and 7 draws.

Fulham and Cardiff have never met in the Premier League.

Fulham have gone 4 games without a win, or a clean sheet.

ODDS:

Fulham to win: 2.14

Draw: 3.45

Cardiff to win: 4

TV: Highlights on Saturday 28 September, BBC One, 22:30-23:55.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-fulham-v-cardiff-city-match-preview-8844391.html

WhiteJC

Fulham keen on Greek defender Manolas

Fulham are tracking Olympiakos centre-back Kostas Manolas ahead of a January raid.

Manolas came very close to joining Everton last year and the club even agreed personal terms and a fee with AEK Athens.

The move broke down, though, and he eventually moved to Olympiakos.

Premier League scouts have tracked him for a while now and Fulham are the latest side to express an interest in the Greek international.

His contract expires in 2016 and Martin Jol could press ahead with a move in the forthcoming transfer window.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/fulham-keen-greek-defender-manolas-13092761919#2Ld8BwkSehfFO9fL.99

WhiteJC

Jol plans to pick off Cardiff's open approach to spur change in Fulham's fortunes

Martin Jol is aware success and failure in the Premier League is determined by fine margins and hopes, for once this season, luck is on the side of Fulham against Cardiff on Saturday.

"We won [on Tuesday], three points on Saturday and then we have another home game, so that could be another three points."

Fulham enter this weekend's fixtures lying in the relegation zone.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/jol_plans_to_pick_off_cardiff_s_open_approach_to_spur_change_in_fulham_s_fortunes_1_2819223

WhiteJC

Cardiff's visit offers Fulham clean-sheet win opportunity
A returning Dimitar Berbatov can make the difference against a far from incisive away attack.

Cardiff weren't free-scoring travellers for much of last season's Championship-winning campaign and little has changed in the top flight, where Fulham can justify odds of 11/5 about beating them to nil at Craven Cottage.

Cardiff were limited to one goal or less in 10 of their final 15 road games of 2012/13.

Since their arrival in the Premier League the situation hasn't improved, with Peter Whittingham's second-half effort against Hull their only away goal in two league games outside the Welsh capital this season.

The division's newest Welsh representatives are 11/4 for success, with Martin Jol's men evens for victory and 23/10 the odds on offer about a stalemate on the banks of the River Thames.

Malky Mackay's men have averaged a miserable 1.5 shots on target on the road this season.

At the top level their trouble with expressing themselves amongst inhospitable environs may be melting into a more general inability to score, with their home mean of 2.3 only slightly more heartening.

All in all the Bluebirds have been denied a goal in three of their five matches this term, giving a Fulham defence which has shipped a goal or less in every match bar meetings with Chelsea and Arsenal this season a real chance of keeping a second Premier League clean sheet in six games.

Fulham have scored at least once in all but four of their last 22 home games.

If they can do so against a team that troubles the keeper as little as Cardiff it may well be enough to seal a pressure-relieving victory for Jol.

It was only the crème de la crème of the Premier League that were able to deny Fulham in front of their own fans last term, with all four of those blanks drawn against clubs that finished in the top five.

Last season Dimitar Berbatov scored three times in five games against the promoted sides.

The Bulgarian scored the equaliser on his return from injury in Fulham's confidence-boosting Carling Cup win last time out and his undoubted class enabled him to fill his boots against Premier League newbies last term.

Berbatov is 5/1 to add to his Craven Cottage account by opening the scoring against the Welsh side, something the visitors have only managed once in their seven games this season – against Accrington Stanley.

Top bet: Fulham to beat Cardiff to nil @ 11/5

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/cardiffs-visit-offers-fulham-clean-sheet-win-chance,45631.html?#sthash.GLzhQx7P.dpuf

WhiteJC

Fulham v Cardiff City

Fulham will be looking to move out of the relegation zone when they host Cardiff City in the Premier League.

Dimitar Berbatov made a goal scoring return against Everton midweek and will be hoping to on target against a solid Cardiff back four.

The visitors could hand deadline day signing Peter Odemwingie a starting role at Craven Cottage on Saturday with the Nigerian eager to score his first goal for the club.

Aaron Hughes and Bryan Ruiz will face late fitness checks ahead of kick-off while Andreas Cornelius is Cardiff's only long-term absentee.

Key stats
Both Cardiff and Fulham have only managed one win in the Premier League so far.

Brede Hangeland will make his 200th Premier League outing for Fulham should he play a part on Saturday.

The last time these sides met, the year was 1996.

Fulham injury news
Aaron Hughes, Ashkan Dejagah and Matthew Briggs have all been ruled out of the tie.

Cardiff City injury news
Andreas Cornelius is Malky Mackay's only injury worry ahead of the game.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league-previews/33049-fulham-v-cardiff-city.php#.UkZ9-Rwctwc

WhiteJC

Elsad's Great Start

Elsad Zverotić is delighted to be plying his trade with Fulham in 'the best league in the world.'

The versatile Montenegro international joined the Whites from Swiss side Young Boys on transfer deadline day but had to wait until Tuesday's Capital One Cup clash with Everton for his Fulham debut.

The 26-year-old put in an assured performance at right-back as the Whites returned to winning ways and was pleased to be given his chance.

"It felt great; winning in the first match is a great start," he told the official website. "The atmosphere was amazing, the fans were great and they made me feel welcome. I'm very happy.

"The goal we conceded was unnecessary and unlucky because we played well and I thought we were the better team. But it was great to see that we didn't give up and came back from behind. For me personally it felt great and I found myself in a good match."

Prior to his switch to SW6, Zverotić, who has 34 international caps, had spent his whole career in Switzerland, taking in spells at FC Bazenheid, FC Wil, FC Luzern and Young Boys.

"Compared to Switzerland, everything is so much bigger," he said. "The Premier League is the best league in the world. I'm very happy that I'm with Fulham and I'm very glad that I made the move.

"Everything happened really quickly and smoothly. When we came to an agreement that evening I was just happy and I was looking forward to moving to London and I've been welcomed by everyone at the Club."

Able to play across the backline or in midfield, Zverotić insists he has no preference to a certain position, stating: "I don't have a favourite. I can play in different areas which is an advantage, but in general I love to play football and I don't mind whether it's left or right or a bit to the front."

After playing his part against Everton, Zverotić is now hoping to be involved against Cardiff City on Saturday (3pm) as the Whites look to earn their first home league win of the campaign.

"Yes, it's certainly our aim to win and follow up on the great result against Everton," he added. "I hope we can win and show a good game."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/27/elsads-great-start?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Cardiff City: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Cardiff at Craven Cottage on Saturday Sep 28, 2013, kick-off 15.00 (BST).

Saturday, September 28 2013
Fulham v Cardiff City
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 15.00 BST.
TV: Highlights BBC ONE Match of the Day.

Fulham (Possible, 4-4-2): Stockdale; Reither, Hangeland, Amorebieta, Richardson; Duff, Sidwell, Parker, Kacaniklic; Berbatov, Bent.
Out: Dejagah (calf), Briggs (hernia), Stekelenburg (shoulder).
Tests: Hughes (thigh), Ruiz (ankle).

Cardiff (Possible, 4-1-4-1): Marshall; Théophile-Catherine, Caulker, Turner, Taylor; Medel; Whittingham, Kim, Gunnarson, Bellamy; Odemwingie.
Out: Cornelius (ankle).

Referee: Craig Pawson. Matches: None.

Team News
Fulham defender Aaron Hughes and midfielder Bryan Ruiz face fitness tests to determine if they will be fit for Saturday's Premier League clash at home to Cardiff.

Hughes and Ruiz have been absent with thigh and ankle injuries, respectively.

Ashkan Dejagah, Matthew Briggs and first-choice goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg are still out.

Meanwhile, Cardiff manager Malky Mackay could choose to hand Peter Odemwingie a first Premier League start for his new club at Fulham.

Odemwingie scored in the midweek Capital One Cup defeat at West Ham and could usurp Fraizer Campbell in the lone striker role at Craven Cottage.

Mackay is otherwise expected to stick with the side that suffered a last-gasp defeat to Tottenham last weekend.

Andrew Taylor will make his 100th appearance for the club, while Kevin McNaughton has joined Bolton on a month-long emergency loan.

Match Notes
In an age when virtually no manager is more than six games from the sack, Martin Jol will be feeling the heat more than most.

Fulham's start suggests another season of flirting with relegation, and only a win will do here against a Cardiff side that is developing a worrying habit of playing very well and then losing.

Expect them to play a cagey, counter-attacking game here.

Betting: Home 10-11, Away 5-2, Draw 5-2.

Stat of the game: Fulham's Brede Hangeland is set to make his 200th Premier League appearance.

Jonathan Liew's prediction: Fulham 2 Cardiff City 0.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10331693/Fulham-v-Cardiff-City-match-preview.html

WhiteJC

May the toppling of Michael Jackson's statue spell the end of the football-music crossover
Football and music have no business together. Just look at their joint history if you have any doubt about it

"Gone too soon" – three words I'm sure we all expressed when on a balmy June evening in 2009 we heard the news Michael Jackson was dead at 50. The sentiments those three words convey couldn't have been further from the lips of anyone this week – except perhaps Mohamed Al Fayed – when the gaudy effigy of the late singer that had stood controversially outside the ground of Fulham FC in London was taken away from public view after 29 months.

Fayed, the club's former owner, had intended the sparkly simulacrum of the singer to stand as testament throughout the ages to the fact that yes, Jackson did alight on Craven Cottage in 1999, and he did witness Fulham beat Wigan 2-0. No evidence exists that Michael ever attended again, though we have it on the tycoon's good authority that Jacko was a big fan of the club, hence the not-incongruous-at-all tawdry immortalisation. Or at least immortalisation was the intention – like the Third Reich and Steve Brookstein's pop career, it was expected to last for many more years than it did. But then, Al Fayed had perhaps not anticipated that as soon as the statue was erected, opposing fans would choose to serenade Fulham's teams, owner and fans with chants – to the tune of Village People's Go West – of "Statue of a paedophile".

On the arrival of new owner Shahid Khan in July, Fulham's fans were apparently petitioned about what they'd like to do with the statue (without getting too creative), and the chimera was gone within the blink of an eye, stored away and covered in a blanket like one of Jackson's children.

"I respect Mr Fayed and know he had good intentions in paying an individual tribute," said Khan, "however, the removal of the statue is the right thing for Fulham Football Club."

Meanwhile the rest of us cheered! Hooray! For football and music, the uneasiest of bedfellows, should never – and I mean never – ever meet again. Finally, in 2013, this symbolic gesture, this moment of clarity, this new broom sweeping away all the haplessness and idiocy that came before it! Now, perhaps, we can put to an end once and for all the idea that pop and the beautiful game can live together harmoniously. History is on our side.

In 1990, following two decades of interminable and accursed football records, an eddy in the spacetime continuum nearly occurred when New Order put out the half-decent World in Motion, though thankfully like England, they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by unleashing John Barnes with his woeful flow to restore balance. That's as close as football and pop ever got to artistic nirvana.

The litany of crimes before and since is as long as one of Peter Crouch's arms: The Anfield Rap, Spandau Ballet's Steve Norman and Martin Kemp joining Melchester Rovers in Roy of the Rovers,Glenn and Chris's' Diamond Lights, Glenn and Chris calling themselves Glenn and Chris (when the superior Hoddle and Waddle moniker was screaming out to be used), the photo "opportunity" in which West Brom's three black players – nicknamed by their manager Ron Atkinson, "the Three Degrees" – lined up alongside the actual Three Degrees (a photo that now seems a bit racist, especially in the light of Atkinson's later televised remarks about
one the world's best and most famous players, who happened to be black). Then there's Gabby Agbonlahor receiving death threats for breaking a One Direction member, the pairings of Ashley and Cheryl Cole, Frankie Sandford and Wayne Bridge, Dizzee Rascal and James Corden. And not forgeting Olly Murs turning up at every charity football match ever, Diana Ross's remarkable penalty miss at the 1994 World Cup in the United States ...

And still we're barely started on the list of shame. We've still got to think of Three Lions. Yes, Three Lions, Baddiel and Skinner's patriotic anthem of smug. All that feckless George Cross waving and liver-bothering seemed like a lark at the time, though the moment football and pop coalesced on a settee on Fantasy Football League in the mid-90s is perhaps the most regrettable. The flashbacks still haunt us: the spectres of Loaded, the Spice Girls, Zoe Ball in a Liverpool top, Tim Lovejoy's face, secondrate landfill indie bands on Soccer AM ... it's like a torrid dream. A time when the pale and interesting and those that weren't English were forced to hide away while the gurning xenophobes and the drunks hijacked culture, and football became commodified and diluted and a campaigning platform for Tony Blair. And while we're on the subject of Blair, 10 years ago Saddam Hussein was toppled in Firdos Square in Baghdad by Allied Forces. It was supposed to be the conclusion of a war, though it turned out to be just the beginning. This time, in toppling the King of Pop, let's hope it's Mission Accomplished and pop and music will go their separate ways once and for all. Let the war be over.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/sep/27/michael-jackson-statue-football-music?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Cardiff City: Squad sheets

Tuesday's victory over Everton in the Capital One Cup relieved some of the pressure on Martin Jol, whose job is said to be in jeopardy following an unconvincing run of form. By coming from behind to win, Fulham showed the bite and balance that critics have accused them of lacking, and the likes of Adel Taarabt, Darren Bent and Dimitar Berbatov moved closer to full fitness. But that was against a weakened Everton side and Fulham will have to raise their performance even higher to prevail against a Cardiff team that have already demonstrated their determination to stay in the top flight. Shahid Khan will be watching closely. Paul Doyle

Kick-off Saturday 3pm

Venue Craven Cottage

Last season n/a

Referee C Pawson

This season G0

Odds H 15-13 A 14-5 D 12-5

Fulham v Cardiff City: Probable starters in bold, contenders in light.
Illustration: Graphic

Fulham

Subs from Etheridge, Senderos, Riise, Hughes, Boateng, Ruiz, Karagounis, Zverotic, Duff, Taarabt, Rodallega

Doubtful Hughes (thigh), Ruiz (ankle)

Injured Stekelenburg (shoulder, 5 Oct), Dejagah (calf, 12 Oct), Briggs (hernia, 19 Oct)

Suspended None

Form LDLLWW

Discipline Y7 R0

Leading scorers Bent, Kasami, Sidwell 1

Cardiff City

Subs from Lewis, Connolly, Hudson, Campbell, Brayford, Smith, Gestede, Noone, Mutch, Cowie, Mason, Lappin, Maynard, Kiss, Velikonja, Amondarain

Doubtful None

Injured Cornelius (ankle, 5 Oct)

Suspended None

Form LDDWLD

Discipline Y5 R0

Leading scorer Campbell 2

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/27/fulham-cardiff-city-squad-sheets

WhiteJC

Marathonbet's Donation

Thanks to one Fulham fan's half-time heroics, the Fulham Football Club Foundation received a donation of £700 from global online bookmakers and Club sponsor, Marathonbet.

Life-long supporter, Scott Maltman, won a Twitter competition to take part in the 'Shoot The O' half-time challenge at the Fulham versus Arsenal fixture on Saturday 24th August. The 20-year-old from Uxbridge held his nerve in front of a packed Craven Cottage, kicking seven balls through the 'O' of a Marathonbet inflatable target in less than a minute. For every successful kick, Scott won himself a £100 cash prize, the total of which Marathonbet pledged to match with a donation to the Fulham Football Club Foundation.

Scott joined Marathonbet CTO, Stan Reoutt, and Sam Windridge, Head of Commercial & Fundraising at Fulham FC Foundation, for the cheque presentation which took place on Friday at Fulham's Training Ground at Motspur Park.

On bagging himself a total cash prize of £700, Scott said: "It took me a while to find my range but when one went in the others quickly followed. I wasn't counting my shots so when I finished and I was told I'd won £700 for me and the Foundation I couldn't believe it!"

The pledge was made as part of Marathonbet's ongoing commitment to reward fans for their support this season. Marathonbet CEO, Graham Luke, said: "We'd like to offer our congratulations and thanks to Scott for his impressive spot-kick skills which made this donation possible. It's a pleasure to be able to support the great grassroots work the Foundation does in the local community."

Fulham FC Foundation CEO, Steven Day, said: "We'd like to say a great thank you to Scott for his well-placed kicks and of course to Marathonbet for their generous donation. The funds will help us to deliver inspiring programmes within the local community, in order to achieve our goal of building better lives through sport."

This donation follows the successful Marathon Trip journey laid on by Marathonbet at the start of the season, which saw the First Team Sponsor put on free coach travel for 200 fans travelling to the away game at Sunderland. In addition, each fan received a new away shirt for the game and were joined en route by Fulham legend Luis Boa Morte.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/september/27/marathonbets-donation?

WhiteJC

Cardiff have been exposed and Fulham should see them off

Fulham edged out Everton at Craven Cottage in midweek in a cracking cup tie and are now 25/1 to lift the trophy at Wembley.

And they are 6/5 to beat Cardiff on Saturday – a price which makes plenty of appeal despite the fact that Fulham have only taken one point from their last 18 available on home soil.

The Welsh side have had their limitations exposed since their famous win over Manchester City earlier in the season and this is a game that Fulham should take maximum points from.

Dimitar Berbatov has only scored twice in his last 12 league games but he is 5/1 favourite to score the opener at the weekend, with Darren Bent 11/2.

I fancy a 2-0 home win for Fulham, which is priced at 10/1 at BetVictor.

Berbatov remains 1/3 favourite to score most league goals for the Whites this term but if Bent can be kept fit the 9/4 could be the answer.

Tottenham have only won three of their 42 Premier League games against Chelsea, but they are our marginal favourites to beat their London rivals in Saturday's eagerly-awaited encounter.

No team in Europe's top leagues has conceded fewer goals this season than Spurs, who have let in only one.

Andre Villas-Boas' side are 17/10 with BetVictor to win this weekend's derby, with Chelsea 15/8 and the draw at 23/10.

It will be interesting to see if Jose Mourinho perseveres with Samuel Eto'o or goes with Fernando Torres after the latter's man-of-the-match performance against Swindon in midweek.

Following Romelu Lukaku's goal for Everton at Upton Park last weekend we have altered the prices on which Chelsea-owned striker will score most Premier League goals this term and bet:

Lukaku 11/8
Eto'o 5/2
Torres 3/1
Ba 6/1

Incidentally, Chelsea are 15/2 to win the Capital One Cup and such is the strength of their squad, that that looks a good bet to me despite them being drawn away to Arsenal in the next round.

If Arsene Wenger persists in playing Bendtner and co then the Blues will thrash the Gunners and that price looks too big to me.

Chelsea are currently 11/4 to regain the league title, with Manchester City 7/4 favourites and Tottenham 10s.

QPR march on at the top of the Championship after their latest 1-0 success and Middlesbrough would do well to get anything against them.

Boro have been disappointing so far this season, although they do tend to score goals.

We are unashamedly behind Rangers and believe they will win the Championship and make them 5/4 for the title.

They are 17/20 for all three points this weekend, which looks too big given Rangers' excellent defensive record.

Charlie Austin is 12/1 to be the Championship's top scorer and 15/4 to score the opener at Loftus Road on Saturday and 11/10 to find the back of the net at any time during the 90 minutes.

If you fancy Austin to score the only goal of the game we bet 22/1 and we bet 6/4 that the R's keep another clean sheet.

For all your weekend odds check out betvictor.com.

Be lucky

Charlie

http://www.westlondonsport.com/west-london-sport/cardiff-have-been-exposed-and-fulham-should-see-them-off

WhiteJC

Martin Jol can't wait to set Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent loose on Cardiff

"You need the weapons but with Berbatov and Bent we've got that now," says Cottagers boss

Plan B: Bent and Berbatov should get Fulham firing again, says Jol
Reuters

Martin Jol is ready to unleash his star strikers Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent on Cardiff this afternoon.

The Fulham boss has been able to start the pair together just once since Bent's arrival from Aston Villa in August due to injuries.

However, the duo showed glimpses of what they can do with a goal apiece in Tuesday night's Capital One Cup 2-1 victory over Everton after Bent climbed off the bench to score the winner.

Both players have been hampered by hamstring problems in recent weeks. But they are now back to full fitness and ready to fire struggling the Cottagers up the Premier League table, starting today.

"If they are not there you realise there's maybe not enough goals in us," said Jol. "You need the weapons but with Berbatov and Bent we've got that now.

"I used them both against Newcastle and it wasn't great but I wanted to build on that.

"I had a word with Berbatov – when you play in that position what can you do better, what can you do more? Bent's goal against Everton was right out of nothing and that's exactly what I had in mind when I signed him.

"We've had a win now but when we scored, Berbatov was playing with Bent.

"We have to build on certain positive things and will see what the formation will be and hopefully get better from there.

"Last season Mladen Petric wanted to go to the ball and so did Berbatov. Fortunately enough, Bent doesn't want to go to the ball – he wants to go to the goal.

"So I think they are a good ­combination."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/martin-jol-cant-wait-set-2313031#ixzz2gAXvj9cd
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook