more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The View From South Texas -- FFC v. Cardiff City

Started by HatterDon, September 28, 2013, 05:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Uninspiring, Unsurprising, Unacceptable

Today, Fulham performed as poorly at home as I've seen since that cold November day that was Lawrie Sanchez's last game as Fulham manager. On that day against a sub-par Newcastle, Fulham showed little effort and no cohesion. We saw that again today ... at the Cottage ... against Cardiff. Yes, we lost Scott Parker to injury within 5 minutes, and that certainly hurt us, but it doesn't explain the overall lack of impetus, the impossible to detect game plan, nor does it explain the fact that our back four resembled a bunch of fit young gentlemen standing on an underground platform not looking at each other.

If you don't want to read any further [and I certainly don't blame you], just read this: Fulham faced the weakest side we're likely to see at The Cottage this season and let them dictate the terms of the match for nearly all of the 90 minutes. According to the stats I saw, Fulham got off a massive nine shots against the VISITOR's 22. Our corporate inability to capitalize on set pieces – a two-season plus feature of Martin Jol Sexy Football – was matched today by our defense of these same set pieces. Going into extra time it looked as if Fulham would collect possibly our luckiest point since the three at Sunderland on opening day. Cardiff are a good bet for relegation this season, and they could easily have beaten us by five or six. As my British friends like to end statements like these, you do the maths.

So, yes, Stephen Caulker scored an uncontested header off a corner to make it 1-0 in the 12th minute. Bryan Ruiz, on for Jol's latest young sacrificial lamb Alex Kacaniklic, equalized with a "goal of the year" strike [aren't all his goals stunning?] in the 45th minute – completely against the run of play. And Jordon Mutch, who looks a very promising youngster, curled in the winner deep into extra time. A very nice goal it was also. There's the facts. Here's some analysis.

Brede Hangeland had his worst performance in a Fulham shirt today. He didn't mark, he didn't jump, he didn't run, he was the weakest link in a very poor back four today. When he fouled Cardiff's goalkeeper in the second half, it turned out to be the only attack he foiled the entire match.

There was a point a minute or so into extra time when Fulham might have gotten the three points. For the only time all day, Kieran Richardson whipped in a good cross that zoomed across the face of goal completely ignored by Fulham attackers. The Fulham player most likely to have been sniffing around to convert that goal – Darren Bent – had been subbed off for Adel Taarabt.

Finally, at the risk of getting flagged for piling on – yes, yes, I know, a pointy football reference – I must admit that those who have criticized the decision to make Hangeland captain have a point. There have been plenty of times over the last several seasons where Fulham have gone on to the pitch lethargic and disconnected. What we had gotten use to seeing was a short, grouchy midfielder giving them what for and geeing them up. There's only one Danny Murphy, and boy have we missed him since he left, and boy what could he have done for us today.

I didn't stick around to see how the crowd reacted to Jol and the players after the match. I can only imagine that there were boos galore. I certainly know that they was well deserved. Fulham continue to be a side filled with talented players who are lacking only coherent leadership and coaching. I certainly hope that my next View from South Texas will be filled with references to Fulham's new gaffer.

HatterDon's Man of the Match: Are you kidding? Nobody!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

horse1031

good write up.  the message board seems so defeated.  no one knows what to do because of the performance today.

COYW's

BillNRoc

I know this isn't the same squad that had the marvelous European run, but doesn't that seem like it happened a century ago? Surely this must be the last straw; were I closer to London, I'd stop in and help Jol pack a box with his belongings.

Forever Fulham

Against that team, Dempsey would have scored twice.  Easy.

threedhomer

The D figure does not need to be brought up at all in this discussion.  Truth is we should have scored as many in the second half as they should have scored in the first half.  Worst performance since Sanchez?  I don't know.  Worst opposition we will face at home, that I think will be proved to be a joke of a statement.  (Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich and maybe West Ham might finish below Cardiff.  Cardiff did beat Man City)

jarv

Good (but depressing ) write up.  I just listened to Jols post match comments. He really is a clueless imbecile. Totally clueless.