watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Not enjoying the game

Started by NorfolkJim, September 30, 2013, 01:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorfolkJim

I don't know if someone else could do better than Jol but he has had a fair bit of time now and I have to say it's been pretty mediocre. Not since Sanchez have I found myself not enjoying the matches. The team just do not look good and what is more concerning, there isn't any improvement to be seen either - whats the game plan?

The truth hurts a bit when Jol says Fulham can't expect to be a top 6 club - I know that thanks to the money machine the Prem has become there are 7-8 contenders for those top slots and we are in the also rans and likely to stay there. This is why those Euro games were so precious, I might never get another chance at that kind of adventure! But the way he said it - its like anything higher than 18th is the ambition. It is - but I'd hope we could at least dream for better.

I don't need to win every game to enjoy supporting Fulham, nearly 40 years of FFC required me to get more than just the thrill of winning from attending games; but the last couple of years have been really, really dull stuff and I'm tempted for Saturday to have a little insurance in place and put £10 on 0-0

Brown@FFC

Thats the main problem. Its not results, which are important, but the performances. They are so slow, dull, ineffective etc, we have no chance of threatening. We have has the least shots in the league, but the most against us. What sort of football is that?!

Airfix

Quote from: Brown@FFC on September 30, 2013, 01:26:04 PM
We have has the least shots in the league, but the most against us. What sort of football is that?!

Shexsy!

HatterDon

To quote my fellow South Texan [who never posts on here anymore but still reads], "I hate watching the team I love." Oh, by the way, he said that to me LAST season, not this one.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

mangoputney

Quote from: Airfix on September 30, 2013, 02:22:51 PM
Quote from: Brown@FFC on September 30, 2013, 01:26:04 PM
We have has the least shots in the league, but the most against us. What sort of football is that?!

Shexsy!

+1
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

FFC1987

Don't understand this concept that results are only a part of it and performances are just as important. If we had struggled and picked up points against Newcastle, WBA and Cardiff, we wouldn't be complaining as much as we would be top 10. Its all about the results regardless of how we get them. Sadly this is a fact. Its a results industry.

HatterDon

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 30, 2013, 02:40:57 PM
Don't understand this concept that results are only a part of it and performances are just as important. If we had struggled and picked up points against Newcastle, WBA and Cardiff, we wouldn't be complaining as much as we would be top 10. Its all about the results regardless of how we get them. Sadly this is a fact. Its a results industry.

I gently disagree. What passed for football against Newcastle, West Brom, and Cardiff was still fully worth every complaint even had we won them all.

Brown@FFC

Quote from: HatterDon on September 30, 2013, 02:42:39 PM

I gently disagree. What passed for football against Newcastle, West Brom, and Cardiff was still fully worth every complaint even had we won them all.

+1

SimpleTactics

and its not like we are getting the results anyway with our terrible performances so your point is invalid anyway

Vinnieffc

An American Football coach once commented 'If results and winning aren't important, why bother keeping score ?'

PokerMatt

I understand what you're saying, but the way I see it is if you are playing well but not getting results then there's at least hope that results will turn around. If the results AND performance are both missing, frankly how are you going to fix it?

That's where we are right now, in my opinion. We never look like winning so any result is likely to be down to luck. That's not the way to get consistent wins.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

NorfolkJim

Of course you want to see the team win games but lets face it, we are priced out of the top places so we will not win as many games as those teams with massive support and backing - theres a reason why every other person claims to support Man Utd. Of course I want Fulham to win every game but I accept that isn't going to happen so I get my pleasure from much more than just the result. Of course theres nothing quite like sitting back and reflecting on a great game and a win but they are all the sweeter when they come if you dont win every game. I can't imagine supporting Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona or some other massive team - it would bore me.
But none of this changes the situation at the moment that the team under Jol are playing uninspiring poor quality football and it seems like everyone is looking forward to playing us.

alfie

Quote from: NorfolkJim on September 30, 2013, 04:57:13 PM
Of course you want to see the team win games but lets face it, we are priced out of the top places so we will not win as many games as those teams with massive support and backing - theres a reason why every other person claims to support Man Utd. Of course I want Fulham to win every game but I accept that isn't going to happen so I get my pleasure from much more than just the result. Of course theres nothing quite like sitting back and reflecting on a great game and a win but they are all the sweeter when they come if you dont win every game. I can't imagine supporting Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona or some other massive team - it would bore me.
But none of this changes the situation at the moment that the team under Jol are playing uninspiring poor quality football and it seems like everyone is looking forward to playing us.

One of the big misconceptions in my opinion is that Fulham fans think that our players are vastly superior to anyone around us, i don't subscribe to that view, i think our players apart from 1 or 2 are average at best, we have players that once were very good, and we have players that may one day be very good, but mostly average, just because a team comes up from the Championship does not necessarily mean their players are inferior.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

HatterDon

Quote from: Vinnieffc on September 30, 2013, 04:11:47 PM

An American Football coach once commented 'If results and winning aren't important, why bother keeping score ?'

Yeah, well, what do bloody yanks know about proper football?  starsnstripes

Logicalman

Sorry, I disagree. If I watch the team play well, play with their hearts and try, it makes me feel good. If we lose, but have played well, that's just the way it goes, I do feel a little sorry for not picking up the points we might have deserved, but I applaud the players.

If we play poorly, then getting the three points is simply a consolation prize, as I always fear when we come up against a team that knows their stuff, we'll be caught out, so the consolation prize has a bittersweet taste to it.

I believe our players are paid enough to make an effort week-in and week-out, I have to at my job, and some of them them earn as much in a week as I do in a year!

Perhaps I'm just too old to appreciate the winning at all costs attitude, points are all that matters and it doesn't matter how you get them, whether you have the best penalty-divers in the industry or you have the hardest players who kick the opposition off the pitch, I prefer not to watch those teams. If we are relegated from the top div (not for the first time in my life) I will be disappointed, but it won't be the end of my world.

sipwell

Quote from: HatterDon on September 30, 2013, 02:42:39 PM

I agree with Donster. I don't know about you guys but against those three teams I just FELT they would score. It was an accident waiting to happen.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!