watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Alan Pardew

Started by HatterDon, October 01, 2013, 02:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

I know the man is a running joke with a lot of posters on here, but I watched the Everton v. Newcastle match today and a strange thing happened. Everton -- especially Lukaku -- bullied them all over the pitch in the first half. They showed no offensive threat aside from Ben Arfa, and as they trailed off the pitch with a 3 goal deficit, it looked like Everton could reach double figures.

Here comes the strange thing.

The second half starts with two substitutions -- including the removal of Ben Arfa! On comes a hard-ass defensive midfielder and a new defender. What? You're three goals down and you pull off your most creative attacker for two defensive players? What's up?

Well, Newcastle almost immediately blunted Everton's attack and also immediately took over the game. They scored twice and caused a lot of nervous blue guts at Goodison.

Of course, they did the same thing against us. Their much maligned manager determined that what he was seeing on the pitch wasn't good enough and changed personnel AND tactics and turned the game around. That's why Pardew is one of any number of managers currently employed or looking for a gig who would be a significant improvement over Jol. Time after time, Jol has proven that he cannot effect a change at halftime -- not a positive change at least.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

JudgeBread

Jol brought on Ruiz for Kaca after 41mins on Saturday.

So I suppose you're right about not effecting a change at halftime because he'd tried to change things before then.

Forever Fulham

I agree with that.  I'm a fan of Pardew's work.  Why are people 'dissing' him as my son would say?  

HatterDon

Quote from: JudgeBread on October 01, 2013, 02:26:54 AM

So I suppose you're right about not effecting a change at halftime because he'd tried to change things before then.

Now tell me about his tactical changes to make us take control of the game. The truth is that we sat back and allowed Cardiff to take over the match for the entire second half. Nice cherry picking, though.

Deanothefulhamfan

Interesting post HD.... I have been saying he will be the next manager out, not because he is a bad manager, but things at the top of Newcastle are strange to say the least.... Newcastle have a few tricky games coming up and I think AP will be the next unfortunate casualty. He does like the french players a bit to much for my liking, but not many other complaints about him.

Berserker

I've mentioned previously i think he'd be an option for us
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

alexbishop

If anyone has been reading Rich's thoughts on Craven Cottage Newsround recently you will see he believes the root of our problems is our inability to defend. He figured once we get back to basics, defend from the front, defend well, with good shape, we will start scoring goals again.

This is what Pardrew did at 1/2 time. The defending 1st half was woeful. He probably laid into the team at half time, sured up his defence with two subs and lo and behold they scored twice and looked much stronger second half.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Bassey the warrior

I don't rate him at all. With the squad at his disposal Newcastle should be finishing top eight not fighting for their lives to stay up.

Matt

Pardew has a long-term contract with Toon since their sponsors has agreed to help him with his gambling debt.

DSTM
Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

The Old Count

Quote from: The Moose on October 01, 2013, 08:03:59 AM
I don't rate him at all. With the squad at his disposal Newcastle should be finishing top eight not fighting for their lives to stay up.

Agreed.  We can do better than Pardew.

jarv

Personally, I quite like him. Speaks intelligently. However, failing at Newcastle and failed at West Ham so the only question is....why???

Jol? We all know now why he is failing.

grandad

Pardew would not come here as he likes to have money to spend.
Where there's a will there's a wife

HatterDon

Quote from: jarv on October 01, 2013, 02:46:35 PM
Personally, I quite like him. Speaks intelligently. However, failing at Newcastle and failed at West Ham so the only question is....why???

Jol? We all know now why he is failing.

I have two reasons why he's having difficulty this season at Newcastle: (1) Chairman Mike -- every English village's idiot AND (2) Joke In Ear -- who screwed up several potential signings for the club, including Darren Bent.

How he gets anything done with those two jokes in charge is beyond me.

jarv

HD, probably right. Newcastle and west Ham probably share the prize for having owners who are the biggest clowns in the diivision.

Arthur

Quote from: HatterDon on October 01, 2013, 03:31:44 AM

Now tell me about his tactical changes to make us take control of the game. The truth is that we sat back and allowed Cardiff to take over the match for the entire second half. Nice cherry picking, though.

And you don't think you're cherry-picking - when you've selected a single game and offered it up as conclusive evidence that Pardew is a better manager than Jol?

What of the games - and damned important ones at that - in which Pardew's remedial actions failed dismally?

Newcastle v Sunderland, April this year. Local derby and a relegation battle. Sunderland 1-0 up at the turn-around. Pardew brings on three substitutes between half-time and the 65th minute. What happens? His team are outplayed and humiliated as Sunderland score twice more to run out easy 3-0 winners.

Newcastle v Liverpool, two weeks later. Relegation still a possibility. Liverpool 2-0 up at half-time. Pardew makes two substitutions at the start of the half. What next? Liverpool wipe the floor with his hapless team, spanking them 6-0.

Manchester City v Newcastle, two weeks before the Sunderland game. Relegation concerns are mounting. City 2-0 up at half-time. Pardew substitutes a player then and another early in the second half. What effect does it have? None. City cruise to a 4-0 victory.

Whether Pardew is a better manager than Jol is open to debate, certainly. But for you to scoff at someone else for cherry-picking their defence of Jol is rich, indeed.

rusty shackleford

Alan Pardew is a gobshite

HatterDon

Quote from: Arthur on October 01, 2013, 05:21:55 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on October 01, 2013, 03:31:44 AM

And you don't think you're cherry-picking - when you've selected a single game and offered it up as conclusive evidence that Pardew is a better manager than Jol?

What of the games - and damned important ones at that - in which Pardew's remedial actions failed dismally?

Newcastle v Sunderland, April this year. Local derby and a relegation battle. Sunderland 1-0 up at the turn-around. Pardew brings on three substitutes between half-time and the 65th minute. What happens? His team are outplayed and humiliated as Sunderland score twice more to run out easy 3-0 winners.

Newcastle v Liverpool, two weeks later. Relegation still a possibility. Liverpool 2-0 up at half-time. Pardew makes two substitutions at the start of the half. What next? Liverpool wipe the floor with his hapless team, spanking them 6-0.

Manchester City v Newcastle, two weeks before the Sunderland game. Relegation concerns are mounting. City 2-0 up at half-time. Pardew substitutes a player then and another early in the second half. What effect does it have? None. City cruise to a 4-0 victory.

Whether Pardew is a better manager than Jol is open to debate, certainly. But for you to scoff at someone else for cherry-picking their defence of Jol is rich, indeed.

Well, since it was the only Premier League match played yesterday, it was kind of the only one I could talk about within the context of "In today's match." Interestingly, in each of the matches you chose, his team was behind at the half and he chose to make changes in order to get his side more in the game. Yes it didn't work. It really didn't work yesterday either since they lost. The point is that when his team wasn't performing he attempted to change things.

Jol doesn't as a rule. I'm not saying that he's a better manager than Jol -- although it's clear to me that he is. I'm just pointing out that when your team gets to half time and it's not performing as it should, there IS actually something a manager can do over the break and the following 45 minutes other than compose a list of reasons why his team isn't playing well. Pardew tries to change things. Jol doesn't. If you're happy with Jol's halftime approach that's fine. I'm not.

And, in our "here's another bit of sophisticated tactical analysis" department:

QuoteAlan Pardew is a gobshite