watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I miss Brian McBride

Started by horse1031, October 01, 2013, 08:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horse1031

he would rally the troops and get us out of this mess.  Wish he would go into coaching so we could come back to Fulham and manage.

Rhys Lightning 63

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

valdeingruo

We miss that on field leadership dont we. Would love to have seen how McBride would have got on with Berbatov.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

BestOfBrede

It would have been interesting to see McBride and Dempsey as an attacking pairing. Both 100 percent players that know where the goal is!

Logicalman

Quote from: BestOfBrede on October 01, 2013, 09:26:40 PM
It would have been interesting to see McBride and Dempsey as an attacking pairing. Both 100 percent players that know where the goal is!

:plus one:

.. with Murphy as the midfield general.

nevzter

I still feel we, as Fulham supporters, lost out on a couple of additional years because of McBride's decision to return to MLS.  Not begrudging the man's decision, but he would have played a part in Europa qualifying and, eventually, the squad. 

I miss him for all that he did for Fulham, but I'm biased.

Either Murphy or McBride wouldn't accept Berbatov's histrionics on the pitch.  Period.

COYW
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

Logicalman

You're right, that's why every team needs a good captain on the field.

YankeeJim

Quote from: andersons11 on October 01, 2013, 09:21:50 PM
We miss that on field leadership dont we. Would love to have seen how McBride would have got on with Berbatov.

I think he would have had a quiet word in the locker room. That Berba nose would likely have been rearranged.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Logicalman

Quote from: YankeeJim on October 01, 2013, 11:01:58 PM

I think he would have had a quiet word in the locker room. That Berba nose would likely have been rearranged.

I thought that was Bairds job on the training pitch!!!   :028:

YankeeJim

Quote from: Logicalman on October 01, 2013, 11:04:09 PM

Well, sadly he is gone as well. He did manage to light a fire under Jimmy the Hull man, didn't he?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Logicalman

Quote from: YankeeJim on October 01, 2013, 11:08:09 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on October 01, 2013, 11:04:09 PM

Well, sadly he is gone as well. He did manage to light a fire under Jimmy the Hull man, didn't he?

.. and provide a little blood loss, so it is alleged!  :005:

valdeingruo

Quote from: nevzter on October 01, 2013, 09:59:57 PM
I still feel we, as Fulham supporters, lost out on a couple of additional years because of McBride's decision to return to MLS.  Not begrudging the man's decision, but he would have played a part in Europa qualifying and, eventually, the squad. 

I miss him for all that he did for Fulham, but I'm biased.

Either Murphy or McBride wouldn't accept Berbatov's histrionics on the pitch.  Period.

COYW

I totally agree with your views, i was secretly wishing he would return to Columbus, my local club. However i knew he would return home.

On a side note if we were to put together a no nonsense Fulham XI who would be in it?

McBride
Murphy
Baird

Who else?
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Forever Fulham

When the talking heads in U.S. soccer TV programs gab on, they interrupt each other constantly and do a lot of good natured ribbing.  And they often bring on guest pundits and pepper them with questions and seek their comments.  And you can tell from the body language how they feel about such guests and the weight of their respective opinions.  Against that general backdrop, Brian McBride, sometimes guests on such shows.  He's quieter than most of the color commentators.  But when he speaks, you can hear a pin drop.  People shut up and listen.  They accord weight and value to his perspective.  I don't think any amazing pearls of wisdom pop out.  Rather, just sound thinking and some sharp insight, delivered in a modest, respectful, manner.  In any event, I wouldn't want him managing Fulham.  What if he failed to turn it around?  I wouldn't want the good will he's fairly come by diminished by circumstances he can't fully control.  On a related note, I don't trust ex-forwards as managers.  Most of them are emotionally driven.  Risk takers.  Attention seekers.  A lot of the better ones have a screw loose.  I think centerbacks make the best managers. 

Logicalman

Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 02, 2013, 01:02:49 AM
When the talking heads in U.S. soccer TV programs gab on, they interrupt each other constantly and do a lot of good natured ribbing.  And they often bring on guest pundits and pepper them with questions and seek their comments.  And you can tell from the body language how they feel about such guests and the weight of their respective opinions.  Against that general backdrop, Brian McBride, sometimes guests on such shows.  He's quieter than most of the color commentators.  But when he speaks, you can hear a pin drop.  People shut up and listen.  They accord weight and value to his perspective.  I don't think any amazing pearls of wisdom pop out.  Rather, just sound thinking and some sharp insight, delivered in a modest, respectful, manner.  In any event, I wouldn't want him managing Fulham.  What if he failed to turn it around?  I wouldn't want the good will he's fairly come by diminished by circumstances he can't fully control.  On a related note, I don't trust ex-forwards as managers.  Most of them are emotionally driven.  Risk takers.  Attention seekers.  A lot of the better ones have a screw loose.  I think centerbacks make the best managers. 

Good post, and you're dead right on both counts.  Especially the last one, Dalgliesh comes to mind - great player & crap manager.

Deanothefulhamfan

Brian is a legend at our club, I would love someone like him on the pitch through this difficult time....

I think you make an interesting point about the managers, I can't think of too many decent managers who were attacking players, the majority seem to be defensivley minded. Yet still play very attcking football....