Main Menu

Your favorite away ground and why

Started by RidgeRider, October 01, 2013, 09:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagrant

vagrant

Quote from: Fulhampete on October 02, 2013, 09:19:36 AM
Quote from: Fulham76 on October 01, 2013, 09:21:05 PM
Villa is one of my favourites - nice stadium, good atmosphere. A shame we never win up there though! The one time I remember us winning, I was sat amongst the Villa fans when Simon Morgan & Steve Hayward, I think??? gave us a 0-2 win in the FA cup.

Also, one of the best away games I went to was away at Cambridge on the last game of Micky Adams promotion season. We won, which is a good start & had about 5,000 fans there that day. Total attendance was about 7,500.
Was at the Abbey recently to watch Cambridge play Forest Green. Thought back to that day when we celebrated our promotion. They gave us three sides of the stadium. Great day, well up there in my list of Fulham memories.

Remember being there one bloody cold December night watching a Freight Rovers match.  The things we do for love.  Think it was mid 80's .....  And we won ......

brightster

It quite hard to pick just one as been to over 80 watching the mighty whites, I think it I had to choose it would be the Hawthorns new and old always enjoy it.

Anyone remember Leyton Orient away end with the cage below the stand where they threw the trouble makers in until the end of the game?

b+w geezer

Arsenal's old ground at Highbury was tops for its combination of proper urban, tightness to the pitch, and football architectural distinction. Outstanding in another way was The Valley in the era when one side comprised a gigantic terrace with panoramic views. None of the new stadia really hit the spot for me, but there are certainly traditional grounds that have redeveloped OK. White Hart Lane and the Hawthorns, for example, have always been atmospheric and -- although both substantially altered over the decades -- remain so today. All that's about grounds that one admires/admired....a list of the ones which bring back fond memories would be quite different!

SouthfieldWhite

Although we didnt play there that often, Plough Lane as we alway took a decent follwing and it was local

HatterDon

Quote from: Kell on October 02, 2013, 08:06:24 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on October 02, 2013, 02:37:27 PM
The original Wembley Stadium. Why? Because I got to see Malcolm McDonald put in five goals in one international. I had toured the stadium before, but that was my only England international to attend in person.

V Cyprus 1975 I believe HD

That would be it. Some time before the New Wembley opened, we talked about our international experiences at the old house. I waxed lyrical about this match and I believe two FofFers were also there. Kinda cool.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

EJL

Quote from: Guinness Haze on October 02, 2013, 01:39:36 PM
Emirates does it for me too.  Blew my mind the first time and is still my favourite by far.

:plus one:

Just a beautiful stadium, really.

St Eve

Griffin Park, Brentford for me. Local and intimate like CC

RoyTund

I hate Villa Park.  Bland, feels empty with little atmosphere. 

Goodison Park is a great football ground.

Markffc123

St James Park for me....love that place/and the atmosphere is unreal at times

Two Ton Ted

Used to love going to Highbury. My favourite ground after Craven Cottage.  Just a beautiful stadium.

Favourite away trips in the olden days for me were places like Edgar Street Hereford, Gay Meadow Shrewsbury and Brunton Park Carlisle, but that was mainly for the pre and post match hostelries. 

I really miss the waking up on Saturday morning, thinking, "yes, I will go to the Fulham game" and getting a train to wherever, and paying on the gate. It's simply not possible to do that anymore.

Never ever bloody anything ever.

HillingdonFFC

Love Hillsborough, great old proper football ground. Like a huge blue cavern, for me it seems a lot bigger than what it really is unlike places like Anfield which seem smaller.Love Griffin Park, Dean Court, Goodison too.
Favourite away day for me is a ground which features highly on many peoples least popular and its Selhurst Park. Never quite understand how people hate it, not the easiest to drive to but it's surrounded by stations. Proper traditional football ground in a suburban location. Seen every Fulham game there since 1982. Brilliant trip there in the promotion season against Wimbledon, struggling to remember a bigger away following for us in the league. Superb atmosphere and great pre and post match drink up in the Railway Telegraph in Thornton Heath

Chalky Wight

Portsmouth 4 me Fratton Park its only 1 train the fast cat and 2 stops out of pompey harbour im there. And like our ground it's that classic old ground