Main Menu

Hammersmith End 1970's

Started by The Old Count, October 02, 2013, 05:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Count

Quote from: BestOfBrede on October 02, 2013, 09:25:36 PM
Quote from: premFlem on October 02, 2013, 07:45:38 PM
Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on October 02, 2013, 07:25:13 PM
In the 70/80s about 10 yards to the left of the greenpole, but moved slightly downwards in the 70/80s when we got taken by Millwall!
was that the night game when the crowd was 3000 and 1000 of them were millwall.. 0-0 or 0-1 very dark days them.
I remember me & my brother up the back, near the hut that sold drinks/pies etc, and Millwall had taken the Green pole area. They were singing some rubbish about taking our end and where are you type of stuff. Anyway, they got bored with no Fulham to fight and started chanting against each other ie we're the west stand and others chanting we're the east (or whatever they had then). Believe it or not they started fighting each other! Me & bruv, who I firmly told to hide hide his scarf, shuffled quietly along until we were nearly in the Stevenage (JH stand) ready for a quick exit!

I'd forgotton about the hut at the back.  I never bought anything from there. Mind you I didn't have much money left after the entrance, programme and pre match pint.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: The Old Count on October 03, 2013, 08:09:28 AM
In the 70/80s about 10 yards to the left of the greenpole, but moved slightly downwards in the 70/80s when we got taken by Millwall!
was that the night game when the crowd was 3000 and 1000 of them were millwall.. 0-0 or 0-1 very dark days them.
I remember me & my brother up the back, near the hut that sold drinks/pies etc, and Millwall had taken the Green pole area. They were singing some rubbish about taking our end and where are you type of stuff. Anyway, they got bored with no Fulham to fight and started chanting against each other ie we're the west stand and others chanting we're the east (or whatever they had then). Believe it or not they started fighting each other! Me & bruv, who I firmly told to hide hide his scarf, shuffled quietly along until we were nearly in the Stevenage (JH stand) ready for a quick exit!

I'd forgotton about the hut at the back.  I never bought anything from there. Mind you I didn't have much money left after the entrance, programme and pre match pint.
I sometimes bought a tea from the hut to try and warm up but it was so hot you had to put it on the white bar thing in front of you for ages before attempting to drink it. I got a pie once and bit a chunk and it was white hot ! I couldn't spit it - I just stood there, eyes watering with my mouth wide open attempting to suck cold air in to cool it down! Had a blister on the roof of my mouth for days. I didn't buy another - ever!   

The Old Count

Quote from: BestOfBrede on October 03, 2013, 08:15:29 AM
Quote from: The Old Count on October 03, 2013, 08:09:28 AM

I sometimes bought a tea from the hut to try and warm up but it was so hot you had to put it on the white bar thing in front of you for ages before attempting to drink it. I got a pie once and bit a chunk and it was white hot ! I couldn't spit it - I just stood there, eyes watering with my mouth wide open attempting to suck cold air in to cool it down! Had a blister on the roof of my mouth for days. I didn't buy another - ever!   

Sorry but that made me laugh.  Glad you didn't spit it out. I could have been a few steps down from you.

MasterHaynes

Used to stand there in late sixties as we slid through the divisions until Pompey came to pvisit with that bloddy bell and charged round the ground, effectively taking over the end with a line of police between them and Fulham. I switched to the Putney end about six barriers up half way betwen goal and the cottage. I would often switch to the Hammy in 2nd half, pausing for a while along the riverbank side to watch my heroes fly past, especially the year we got promoted with Bill Dodgin from the 3rd division when Conway and Barrett were rampant down the wings. I found the same wiity banter and humour around the ground.

One thing which used to identify a Fulham supporter was the ability have a laugh and not take ourselves too seriously. How Times have changed. 

keith

I remember the 69/70 season when Orient,(Yes, really), made a show up the Hammersmith End,68/69, most teams fans congregated up the back, 70/71 the League cup games, QPR, Swindon and Bristol City all stood up the back to the left.

The Old Count

Quote from: MasterHaynes on October 03, 2013, 08:41:22 AM
Used to stand there in late sixties as we slid through the divisions until Pompey came to pvisit with that bloddy bell and charged round the ground, effectively taking over the end with a line of police between them and Fulham. I switched to the Putney end about six barriers up half way betwen goal and the cottage. I would often switch to the Hammy in 2nd half, pausing for a while along the riverbank side to watch my heroes fly past, especially the year we got promoted with Bill Dodgin from the 3rd division when Conway and Barrett were rampant down the wings. I found the same wiity banter and humour around the ground.

One thing which used to identify a Fulham supporter was the ability have a laugh and not take ourselves too seriously. How Times have changed. 

Oh, I don't know.  We don't take ourselves that seriously. At least not the old git supporters.  We've seen the best of times then the worst of times and now, believe it or not, the best of times again.
This is the longest best of times that I can remember.  I suppose expectations are bound to rise.

Sir Alec of good Stock

I may be wrong but,,,,I think it was the day that Bobby Campbell was sacked in 1980/1, Ronnie Goodlass scored and the crowd was about 3,500 with a large number of the 'Wall in the Hammersmith End. I'm pretty sure that I bottled it and stood in the enclosure!

Sir Alec of good Stock

The only time that I personally had any trouble at the Hammersmith End was in 72/3 when we played Roma at home in the Anglo Italian Cup and I was standing right at the back and I had my black/white/red  (we played in red socks in that season) scarf nicked by a couple of Arsenal yobs who had just come along to cause trouble.

As I remember we played Como, Roma, Torino and Bologna in the Anglo Italian Cup, drew all 4 games and finished bottom of the group!

And so there's the answer to the question-Name the international tournament that Fulham played in and never lost a game.

MJG

That Portsmouth game in the early 80's where they ran around the ground fighting, throwing darts, starting a fire is the reason I don't care a dot about that club. Its not nice to see a club go out of business, but for me they deserve everything they get. Hate them more than any other club.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Travers Barney

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on October 03, 2013, 06:35:40 PM

I may be wrong but,,,,I think it was the day that Bobby Campbell was sacked in 1980/1, Ronnie Goodlass scored and the crowd was about 3,500 with a large number of the 'Wall in the Hammersmith End. I'm pretty sure that I bottled it and stood in the enclosure!

Remember it too...seem to recall a lot of their fans chanting 'Petchey must go' about there own Manager...might well have been with you in the enclosure that night!

coyw
We are the whites

The Swan

I started supporting Fulham in 1961 so I did stand in the Hammersmith End. I played football for St Augustines Youth Club in the Sunday league.A lot of our team supported Fulham and we would all get together for the Fulham game.
From about 1964 I took my younger with me. He became a life long Fulham supporter until he sadly passed away in 2003.
The Swan

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: The Swan on October 03, 2013, 08:43:06 PM
I started supporting Fulham in 1961 so I did stand in the Hammersmith End. I played football for St Augustines Youth Club in the Sunday league.A lot of our team supported Fulham and we would all get together for the Fulham game.
From about 1964 I took my younger with me. He became a life long Fulham supporter until he sadly passed away in 2003.

Can you remember when the Hammersmith End had a roof put on it?

The Swan

Yes I can. At least we could keep dry when watching the lads play.
The Swan

cmg

It is said that the sale of Alan Mullery financed the construction of what was (and still is) a remarkably old-fashioned piece of architecture.

For some reason we usually preferred to get wet (and cold) standing under the riverside pylon at the other end. It was only many years after that I realized this was probably the most exposed spot on the whole ground. I guess we didn't notice such things in those days and in any case supporting Fulham has never been a particularly logical business. Of course segregation and then seats took away that kind of choice.
I've blagged my way into the boxes at that position a few times and I must say it's still a cracking spot to watch from.

Chesh

'You'll ne-eeever take the Thamesbank' - aah the memories.

In the late 70s when I was about 9-12, I used to stand about 1/3rd of the way up with my old man, and I can still hear the sounds of the rumbles when the top bit had been infiltrated, and Fulham were doing their best to stand their ground.

Quite a few did actually get repelled, hence the chant above, but the likes of Pompey always took the p*ss of course due to their numbers.

I only started going away in 1980/81 (Brentford away 3-1 was my first), and it was quite normal to see Fulham taking the Royal Oak, and Wimbledon's home end, although to be fair, that was virtually it - although I know attempts had been made on the Loft at QPR up to the late seventies - think I might be getting carried away with the reminiscing of the terrace days.

Seriously and honestly, I don't condone violence at all, but I would also be lying if I said I didn't miss the edginess of the old football atmosphere compared to the almost theatre-like experience of today.

Made in Hammersmith (1968)

premFlem

Quote from: Chesh on October 03, 2013, 11:13:54 PM

In the late 70s when I was about 9-12, I used to stand about 1/3rd of the way up with my old man, and I can still hear the sounds of the rumbles when the top bit had been infiltrated, and Fulham were doing their best to stand their ground.

Quite a few did actually get repelled, hence the chant above, but the likes of Pompey always took the p*ss of course due to their numbers.

I only started going away in 1980/81 (Brentford away 3-1 was my first), and it was quite normal to see Fulham taking the Royal Oak, and Wimbledon's home end, although to be fair, that was virtually it - although I know attempts had been made on the Loft at QPR up to the late seventies - think I might be getting carried away with the reminiscing of the terrace days.

Seriously and honestly, I don't condone violence at all, but I would also be lying if I said I didn't miss the edginess of the old football atmosphere compared to the almost theatre-like experience of today.

Quote from: Chesh on October 03, 2013, 11:13:54 PM

I blame just having 3 tv channels and to many war films for the violence of them days
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

Holders

From the mid-70s onwards, after they built the Riverside, I used to stand just to the left of the green pole (as looking at the pitch) and a few feet down so I reckon I must know  some of the posters on this thread. Before that, when you could change ends, I used to like to stand behind the goal we were attacking, as now normally the Putney end in the first half.

From maybe the 90s, I stood a bit lower just behind  the bloke with the flat cap smoking the pipe.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

I started out in the  early 60s standing on the Thamesbank before the stand was built, then usually stood in the Enclosure, though sometimes ventured into the Hammersmith.

I remember singing all the songs on the cup run in 1975 like Knees Up Mother Brown at the semi-final and replay, with everyone doing the knees up and falling forward several feet - well, that happened every time Fulham attacked, and when John Mitchell scored in the last minute of the replay....!!!