watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hammersmith End 1970's

Started by The Old Count, October 02, 2013, 05:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Count

Anyone used to stand behind the goal, about six barriers up, in the early seventies.

For two or three seasons I used to stand there with a mate.

Great banter and humour all around. PMSL on many occasions.

Fulham76

Quote from: The Old Count on October 02, 2013, 05:47:24 PM
Anyone used to stand behind the goal, about six barriers up, in the early seventies.

Really? Nice one...

Buffalo76

PMSL ? 1500.gif

LBNo11

...Permanent Madness Seems Likely?

Greenpole for me.

PS: PMSL = peed my self laughing...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

The Old Count

Quote from: LBNo11 on October 02, 2013, 06:28:39 PM
...Permanent Madness Seems Likely?

Greenpole for me.

PS: PMSL = peed my self laughing...

Permanent madness was what you got standing at windy corner

In the Enclosure

Yes - nice to hear Celtic singing one of the old tunes  from the Hammersmith End 60s /70s last night Na Na na Na Hey hey hey kiss her goodbye - think Bananarama re-recorded it in the 90s and it was sung at most grounds
it seems to have survived up there. - Timewarp

LBNo11

...if the dodgy old memory cells are right we used to sing:  "Na Na na Na Hey hey hey - Fulham Football". Mind you in those days we used to sing Knees up Mother Brown and the very tribal 'Rombombayee' prior to a surge forward.

The memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Sir Alec of good Stock

In the 70/80s about 10 yards to the left of the greenpole, but moved slightly downwards in the 70/80s when we got taken by Millwall!

premFlem

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on October 02, 2013, 07:25:13 PM
In the 70/80s about 10 yards to the left of the greenpole, but moved slightly downwards in the 70/80s when we got taken by Millwall!
was that the night game when the crowd was 3000 and 1000 of them were millwall.. 0-0 or 0-1 very dark days them.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

SP

We used to climb up to sit on the elevated sections of the Hammersmith End floodlights as kids.  No H&S back then, I think we were moved off them only once when they developed a fault & smoke started pouring out of the junction box.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: premFlem on October 02, 2013, 07:45:38 PM
Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on October 02, 2013, 07:25:13 PM
was that the night game when the crowd was 3000 and 1000 of them were millwall.. 0-0 or 0-1 very dark days them.
I remember me & my brother up the back, near the hut that sold drinks/pies etc, and Millwall had taken the Green pole area. They were singing some rubbish about taking our end and where are you type of stuff. Anyway, they got bored with no Fulham to fight and started chanting against each other ie we're the west stand and others chanting we're the east (or whatever they had then). Believe it or not they started fighting each other! Me & bruv, who I firmly told to hide hide his scarf, shuffled quietly along until we were nearly in the Stevenage (JH stand) ready for a quick exit!

brightster

I used to stand there with my mate and his dad, grandad and uncles, we used to have a fold up metal stand in behind the barriers as we were under 10 years old in those days!
Don't remember the Millwall game but do remember Man U running us in the Hammersmith End.

Burt

I started off behind the goal we were kicking toward when it was a nipper, in the days when you could get from one end to the other.

As I got older I graduated to the green pole, with Brother Burt and his mates.

In those days I also went to the Bridge as most of my school chums were of the blue pursuasion, the trouble there was far worse than anything I have ever seen at the Cottage. Liverpool in the cup (when Chelsea were Div2) and Sunderland in the League Cup (when the police horses came on).

spikey norman

Quote from: LBNo11 on October 02, 2013, 07:07:43 PM
...if the dodgy old memory cells are right we used to sing:  "Na Na na Na Hey hey hey - Fulham Football". Mind you in those days we used to sing Knees up Mother Brown and the very tribal 'Rombombayee' prior to a surge forward.

During the 60's & 70's I used to stand on the top step by the gangway to the left of the Greenpole which gave me a good idea if any trouble was brewing from the away fans standing behind us.
I remember Millwall I think in 1969 , Bristol City and WBA causing a fair amount of trouble
Of the songs I remember singing In Dublin fair city where the girls are so pretty and waving a black & white walking stick in the air - why? Not really sure but everyone else did at the time

MJG

Mid to late 80's used to stand on the first row right above the stairs closest to the river. Used to be a group of about five or six of us.
At times with the crowds as they were it for quite lonely up there.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

The Old Count

Quote from: spikey norman on October 02, 2013, 09:54:21 PM
Quote from: LBNo11 on October 02, 2013, 07:07:43 PM
...if the dodgy old memory cells are right we used to sing:  "Na Na na Na Hey hey hey - Fulham Football". Mind you in those days we used to sing Knees up Mother Brown and the very tribal 'Rombombayee' prior to a surge forward.

During the 60's & 70's I used to stand on the top step by the gangway to the left of the Greenpole which gave me a good idea if any trouble was brewing from the away fans standing behind us.
I remember Millwall I think in 1969 , Bristol City and WBA causing a fair amount of trouble
Of the songs I remember singing In Dublin fair city where the girls are so pretty and waving a black & white walking stick in the air - why? Not really sure but everyone else did at the time

I remember when we played Rangers in the league cup and everyone was singing 'Sha Na Na Na Rodney Marsh, you can stick that Bas***d up your a**e, sideways'

Guinness Haze

Regret not dipping my toe in the hammy end, but it was the eric miller for dad and I.  Could've got up and moved i suppose.  Spare seats and standing room were not in short supply back then and you could pretty much access all areas.

This would have been late 70's, early 80's if memory serves..

NogoodBoyo

I started in the Enclosure on the half way line, then took to walking up and down to follow the action and top get away from misery.  Finally, I settled in the middle of the Hammersmith end towards the back.
Enclosure was definitely where many of the more miserable fans plied their doomsday trade.  Back then (in the seventies) they were as sparky on the team as earth to negative in a dead battery.
Nogood "then I moved away cos of the booing, isit" Boyo

cheerupjimmyhill

Quote from: brightster on October 02, 2013, 09:30:31 PM
I used to stand there with my mate and his dad, grandad and uncles, we used to have a fold up metal stand in behind the barriers as we were under 10 years old in those days!
Don't remember the Millwall game but do remember Man U running us in the Hammersmith End.

That metal stand did us proud :)

Logicalman

Just to the left of the goal, a few steps up when I got in!