News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mention of the old food/drink hut at back of hammy end got me thinking.....

Started by Guinness Haze, October 02, 2013, 11:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guinness Haze

....how much the place has changed.

There was a similar hut at putney end, right?
Big scoreboard appeared at same end; a crude noisy yellow disc thingy.
Goal nets that were under so much tension, the ball would rebound out twice as fast!

Be interesting to see what people remember

cheerupjimmyhill

Toilet rolls hanging from the nets, old St John Ambulance men sitting on a on old wooden bench in the corner, fat bald referees, guy walking round shouting 'nuts come and get your nuts', the smell of bouvril, time of first goal tickets (think called golden goal), keepers without gloves, muddy goalmouths and strangely remember the ball when on the center spot almost looking like a balloon. 

Also although being upset when we lost don't remember it pushing me to depression for a week like it does now :)

cmg

I think I remember a bunch of blokes (St Johns?) going round the pitch at h/t with a canvas blanket into which fans threw coins. I remember throwing coins - but trying to hit the blokes. Which seems a bit anti-social, but then I suppose I was a rather anti-social kid - probably a bit late to apologise now, but I suppose they got some cash. I wasn't a great shot, anyway.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: cmg on October 03, 2013, 12:44:03 AM

I think I remember a bunch of blokes (St Johns?) going round the pitch at h/t with a canvas blanket into which fans threw coins. I remember throwing coins - but trying to hit the blokes. Which seems a bit anti-social, but then I suppose I was a rather anti-social kid - probably a bit late to apologise now, but I suppose they got some cash. I wasn't a great shot, anyway.
Thanks for that cmg...
I know I shouldn't but it made me laugh - brightened up my morning!
064.gif

The Old Count

I remember all of the above.

What about the bloke selling the papers outside after the game. 'All the late racing news. All the late racing news.'
Did anyone ever eat from one of the stalls outside?  Didn't look that appetising. The onions smelt good though.

Fulhampete

Used to be a brilliant German sausage stall or is it just another of my confused memories?

spikey norman

I remember a bloke outside the ground holding a big board selling rosettes and badges from different clubs.Also the smell of Bovril and cigarette smoke wafting around the ground and the noise of rattles.
When I first started going in the 60's the sign above the then Stevenage Road stand read Fulham Football and Athletic Club

Ged

:005: :005: :005:
Quote from: Fulhampete on October 03, 2013, 09:09:47 AM
Used to be a brilliant German sausage stall or is it just another of my confused memories?
German Sausage Stall ? Tarquin?  but everybody else calls it the Hot Dog Stall

MJG

Anyone who used to go around 68-72 and bought rosettes and badges from two young men selling them, they were my old man and his older brother.
They used to go round all the London clubs doing it. I also remember making them as well when I was a kid. We had a garage full of all that crap.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

keith

I remember  all of the above and, also, Twenty Two players on the pitch who all held British Passports!!.Blimey, i'm old.

spikey norman

Quote from: MJG on October 03, 2013, 09:24:35 AM
Anyone who used to go around 68-72 and bought rosettes and badges from two young men selling them, they were my old man and his older brother.
They used to go round all the London clubs doing it. I also remember making them as well when I was a kid. We had a garage full of all that crap.

I must have bought my Fulham rosette from one of them -still have a couple of the old lapel badges -the one shaped like Craven Cottage and one of the old club crest

MJG

Yes we used have lots of things like that which we stuck on them.
I remember FA Cups made of tin foil which we stapled onto the card.

The Old Count

Quote from: MJG on October 03, 2013, 09:24:35 AM

I remember the rosette blokes. Your old man and uncle...amazing.

BedsFFC

Programmes with the same design for whole season and looking eagerly at the lines up in the programme, which, apart from late injuries was the team that played

frei bentos

Quote from: BedsFFC on October 03, 2013, 09:49:27 AM
Programmes with the same design for whole season and looking eagerly at the lines up in the programme, which, apart from late injuries was the team that played

So often there was a change though. Happy memories, back when i actually used to buy programmes, which i havent done for at least ten years..