watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The differences, what annoys you?

Started by valdeingruo, October 04, 2013, 08:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valdeingruo

Football/Soccer is a language amongst itself and sometimes it doesnt translate across the sea, what annoys you in the translation?

For me its when reading an article the "football" is removed. "Mr. Khan has just purchased Fulham Soccer Club"

Call me odd but I refuse to call the English game "soccer" I will refer to my Columbus Crew as such but not vice versa.

Thoughts?
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

YankeeJim

We yanks learned the game as "soccer" which of course is a word invented by our former colonial overlords. I find it odd that the word effects said overlords in such a way. Perhaps, it just bugs them that we don't follow their lead.

What I find annoying is when I tell a friend or a neighbor that I don't enjoy the NFL and can only tolerate college football when one of the football mills isn't playing and they are flabbergasted that I have spoken such heresy.

Happiness is when Chelsea & USC lose in the same weekend.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

b+w geezer

The word "soccer" does originate here; it's just we don't use it any more, perhaps because it sounds too public (UK English for private....) schoolly. It did indeed arise as a way of distinguishing our game from "rugger" but went on be used in contexts as indisputably English working-class as here: www.amazon.co.uk/Twenty-Years-Soccer-Tommy-Lawton/dp/B0007JENCK

Logicalman

I have a similar issue YJ. I hardly use the term soccer, unless the person I'm speaking to is so perplexed by the term football not referring to the American game.

I have, however, formed an opening gambit that leaves colleagues here in no doubt to which game I am referring to, when asked what sports I watch, I always reply, "Football, the real world football, not the American version" and that seems to settle with most people.

I guess when chatting with other football fans over here though terms that grind, is when they use Goal Tender and Overtime, or for newbies watching their first  football game, they ask when the breaks are and appear genuinely shocked when I tell them there's one at Half Time.

BarryP

What annoys me most is that otherwise friendly folks fail to recognize that in a sport they will recognize as the worlds game there are differences in terminology used in various nations and they are quite ready to mock those that don't use their countries lingo when discussing the sport.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Logicalman

Quote from: BarryP on October 05, 2013, 01:29:18 PM
What annoys me most is that otherwise friendly folks fail to recognize that in a sport they will recognize as the worlds game there are differences in terminology used in various nations and they are quite ready to mock those that don't use their countries lingo when discussing the sport.

I don't think anyone used the term 'mock', the question was what annoys you.

There are plenty of times I use the wrong terminology when watching NFL or college football, and often my hosts will put me right, one of which was the term extra time for overtime, which totally confused me as others have told me both are used, but, that's the way life is.