watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (04/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 04, 2013, 09:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

DANNY MURPHY: Being paid to talk about football is good fun... but I'm not ready to retire while I believe I can still play in the Premier League

Danny Murphy is the former Crewe, Liverpool, Charlton, Spurs, Fulham and Blackburn midfielder. Murphy won nine caps for England but is now without a club having left Ewood Park in the summer. The 36-year-old has been working in the media for Match of the Day and on talkSPORT. Murphy writes in his debut Footballers' Football Column about being without a club and his ambitions for when he hangs up his boots and names the managers who have had the biggest influence on his career.

People ask if I've retired and the answer is 'no'. I am just really enjoying myself at the moment and figuring out what I am going to do next. The truth is I'm not really sure.

I have started my coaching badges. I am on level B at the moment and I am nearly finished with that. Sometimes you think these courses aren't that great, and people do dismiss them as classroom rubbish, but I've found the experience of being around top-class coaches and looking at the game from this new perspective fantastic.

I have also been doing a lot of media work, radio and television stuff like Match of the Day. I wanted to see if I was any good at it, but I thoroughly enjoy it. Getting paid to talk about football is pretty good fun, I have to say.

Uncertain times: Danny Murphy is without a club after leaving Blackburn in the summer - but has not retired

Sometimes you have to be critical of people you know but that's part of it. If it's honest comment there's no problem.
I've also been quite busy with Stoptober at the moment. It is a government-backed scheme to help people stop smoking in October. Statistically, if you can give up for a sustained period of time it means your chances of giving up are far greater.

I lost my own dad to lung cancer in 2006 and he was a smoker. I know the impact it can have and this campaign is not about being critical or judgmental, but just trying to help.

From a football perspective I have been doing as much as I can without actually being part of a club. I haven't decided wholeheartedly what to do next so while I'm still fit and able and have the opportunity to play, I want to keep myself fit. Right now, I am just happy taking my time and assessing my options, waiting to see what I really want to do next.

It's just the best game. I have played more than 600 games and had some brilliant moments in football, but I still love playing so much. Training on the winter mornings can be tough, particularly if the training isn't good and the team is struggling. I've been in that situation.

But game day is always special. You get that buzz. It is one of the main reasons why I never stayed at a club for too long if I wasn't playing. Last year, we had tough times at Blackburn, but in the heat of the battle it's still brilliant.

I spoke to a friend of mine last week who plays for a local team in Surrey and said I'd be happy to have a game if they are short. He smiled at that, but I think he was a bit worried about me getting kicked and all the rest of it so he didn't take me up on it!

I do still have a couple of options available to me with football clubs in the Championship and League One. I like to think I could do a job in the Premier League, but it gets faster every year and I wouldn't be able to do 90 minutes every week.

But I played for Fulham the year before last and missed only three games. We'll see. For me, a big thing is I don't particularly want to move again unless the opportunity is right. I'm 36 now and the kids are in school.

I must say, day-to-day life is so relaxed now. There isn't that same rigorous schedule telling me I have to be somewhere, or that you can't eat after 7pm the day before a match. It's been kind of strange not having that structure, but it's also quite nice.

I can understand why so many people struggle when that structure goes. For me, I guess it still feels like a holiday because I might yet go back. If I don't go back I'll miss it so much. It's all I've known for 20 years.

Starting out: Murphy began his career under Dario Gradi at Crewe

Hitting the big time: Murphy moved onto from Crewe to Liverpool in 1997

Part of the team: Murphy during his Liverpool days training with Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard at Melwood

But at the same time I think people have problems if they don't know how to replace it, how to fill the void. I've been playing a bit of tennis – golf was never my thing – and I reckon I'm all right at it.

The great thing has been spending time with my children. I have a seven-year-old daughter, a three-year-old son and my oldest son is 17. Last year the two youngest stayed down south while I went up north to Blackburn, so it's been so nice being with them, doing the school run. Normal things like walking the dog.

Last Christmas day I had lunch and then I was straight in the car to get over to Middlesbrough for a Boxing Day game. We have a great life as a footballer, but you do miss a lot of those wonderful family moments that other people might get bored of.

Long term, I'd like to manage. I am not somebody who thinks I could walk straight in and be good. The best managers I have had have been good coaches. At the top level it's largely managing egos and personalities, but I want to be good at coaching.

Good relationship: Murphy says Roy Hodgson treated the Fulham players like adults

Leap for glory: Murphy scored the winner against Portsmouth to keep Fulham in the Premier League in 2008

Premier passion: Murphy played for Fulham and believes he can still cut it in the top flight

I don't care how far down I have to go to get that background. I want to be planning sessions, working on tactics. I am happy to go to work with reserves, academies, anything. I am not egotistical enough to think I am above any of that.

I have had a few great coaches to learn from. Dario Gradi was my mentor at Crewe, he took me from boy to man. He taught me about tactics, where to stand, how to play the right way and he knocked some discipline into me. I was a bit precocious, a bit silly as a kid and he straightened me out.

Crewe was brilliant, one of those clubs where young players will get a chance. I am still in contact with him. He is just a great guy who really knows how to develop young players.

Gerard Houllier was a massive influence at Liverpool. He saw potential in me when I was not really playing in the Liverpool team.

Spotting potential: Gerard Houllier had a big influence on Murphy's career at Liverpool

Big influence: Murphy enjoyed working under Dario Gradi at Crewe and Roy Hodgson at Fulham

Roy Hodgson was brilliant. When he came in at Fulham we had just managed to stay up and over the next few years we surpassed all expectations. He treated us like men and gave the freedom to be ourselves -  a real master of man management.

His coaching is brilliant. The package he brought to the job was so impressive – we got to the final of the Europa League and finished seventh in the Premier League. For Fulham, that was incredible.

The players contributed but it was mainly due to his set up on the coaching field and the fact we would do anything for him. He has a nice presence and he is very honest. But he can be firm; firm but always fair. Players like fairness and honesty and believe me not all managers have that. You can criticise someone in a nice, constructive way. You don't have to make them feel small.

Credit where credit's due: Murphy says Hodgson deserves more credit for the draw in Ukraine

Tactically he deserves more credit than he gets. England didn't play great in Ukraine, but they were missing top players and needed to get a job done. Roy did the right thing to get the result he needed.

The England job is always going to be a no-win, though.

He will ultimately be judged on getting to Brazil and how they do when they get there. I believe when everyone is fit we will qualify and do well when we get there.

Roy always used to say you should never get carried away in success or too despondent in defeat. I think people should listen to that.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2442626/The-Footballers-Football-Column--Danny-Murphy-I-offer-Premier-League-club.html#ixzz2gk0Ba5AB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

SOMETHING FOR THE WEEKEND: Jol must be looking over his shoulder... Allardyce is in the clear for now... and will McClaren make the necessary impact at Derby?

1. Martin Jol will have shuddered when he heard news of Paolo Di Canio's dismissal at Sunderland, for it meant the starting pistol had been fired on the Premier League sack race.
And if the volcanic Italian was an accident waiting to happen, Jol's future is being judged solely on results... and there's not been much encouragement.
With his side winless in the league since the opening day, Jol is understandably the bookies' favourite to be next to get his P45 and there were jeers around Craven Cottage when a late defeat to Cardiff last Saturday left them third bottom.
With just one point taken from the last seven at the Cottage, much better is needed against Stoke City (Saturday, 3pm).

Discontent: Jol will be looking over his shoulder after Fulham's poor form so far this season

Stoke made a clean break in the summer when Mark Hughes replaced Tony Pulis and all talk of the former boss and his style in the dressing room has been banned by chairman Peter Coates.

It came after striker Kenwyne Jones labelled it 'sky football' which, though accurate, caused a bit of a rift between Pulis critics and Pulis apologists – or, erm, Pulists.

2. No such pressures on Sam Allardyce as yet, but the West Ham chief won't want to be lingering fourth from bottom for longer than necessary.

Big Sam was at his most animated during last week's slender loss at Hull as his attack, still shorn of Andy Carroll, failed to unpick a well-drilled defence.

But it is they who will have to be resolute at White Hart Lane on Sunday (4pm) against a Tottenham team who, week by week, are becoming more and more confident.

Trouble looming? Allardyce's job is safe for now, but West Ham's fortunes must improve soon

Allardyce will hope that the 3,200-mile round trip Spurs made to Anzhi on Thursday will fatigue them, but Andre Villas-Boas got through that one without using the likes of Roberto Soldado and Christian Eriksen for the full 90 minutes.

The fixture has sadly become a poisonous one again, with West Ham fans condemned for anti-Semitic chanting and hissing noises during this fixture last season.

The Metropolitan Police have already said they will arrest anyone who utters the 'Y' word during the occasion.

3. What an impact Steve McClaren has made already at Derby County – and he was only meant to have a watching brief.

The former England manager - whose epitaph will unfortunately always be the 'Wally with the Brolly' despite actually being a good manager – couldn't believe what he was watching as Derby found themselves 4-1 down against Ipswich on Tuesday.

So he left his seat in the stands and went down to the changing rooms for an unscheduled pep talk. And whatever he said must have been inspiring as the Rams fought back to draw 4-4.

He takes complete control against Leeds United on Saturday (3pm) and will hope to harness that second-half momentum to record a first win in six.

Involved: McClaren (left) gave an impromptu half-time team talk before his new Derby side came back from 4-1 down to draw 4-4 with Ipswich on Tuesday, but how will his first official match in charge go?

4. It's a family affair at Priestfield on Saturday as the two sons of a West Ham great go head-to-head.

Alvin Martin, the defender who made a whopping 469 appearances for the Hammers over two decades, will have split loyalties as offspring David and Joe play against each other when Gillingham entertain Milton Keynes Dons in League One (3pm).

David Martin will be between the posts for MK as they seek to sustain their impressive start to the campaign and Joe, a midfielder for the Gills, will be seeking to score past him.  Some strong footballing genes those...

5. Tin helmets on at St James Park as Exeter host Plymouth in what is always a 'lively' Devon derby (Saturday, 1pm).

The two teams first locked horns in 1909 and have clashed regularly across the leagues and cups ever since, with Plymouth claiming four points from six on offer last season.

But it's Exeter who have made the more solid start to this season and they could move up into the automatic promotion places with a win. And since they've claimed 10 of their 17 points from losing positions this season, an early Plymouth goal won't necessarily tell you which way it's going to go.

Heated encounter: Exeter (above) face Plymouth (below) in what is always a feisty Devon derby

6. A glimpse into the future at the top end of the Premier League at Stamford Bridge on Sunday morning as Chelsea's Under 21 side take on Manchester City (11am, Chelsea TV).

Chelsea often use these occasions to give fringe players some much-needed game time, so we may see Kevin de Bruyne, who has been an outcast under Jose Mourinho and is wanted again be Werder Bremen.

Patrick Vieira's City team have been unstoppable in the UEFA Youth League, hitting Bayern Munich for six on Wednesday afternoon. The impressive Portuguese Marcos Lopes, who scored three of them, is one to watch.

The future: Vieira's unstoppable Under 21 side at Man City will face Chelsea on Saturday

Not performing: But the Frenchman's young side are in mid-table with just one win in five games

7. Though not as infamous as the Inter-Juventus rivalry, Saturday night's meeting between Juve and AC Milan (7.45pm, BT Sport One) may have just as much bearing on the title race – for one of them at least.

Milan have made a stuttering start to their campaign, with two each of wins, draws and defeats, and they needed in-form Mario Balotelli to save them with a cool stoppage time penalty at Ajax in the week.

Juventus are already sniffing the Scudetto, with 16 out of 18 points to date, but they face a triple threat of Roma, Napoli and Inter if they're to keep the trophy under lock and key.

Super Saturday: Juventus faced Torino in the Turin derby last weekend, and now face an equally important game against Milan

Low down: Mario Balotelli's AC Milan are struggling in Serie A in ninth place

8. Not that we needed much more proof of their present superiority in the European game, but Bayern Munich made Manchester City look like the Champions League novices they are on Wednesday night.

The Treble winners were a red blur of intelligent movement, passing and running at the Etihad and they were scarily clinical in scoring their goals. At the moment, it would take a very special team to top them.

They've not started their domestic season as well as last year – by that I mean they've drawn a game instead of winning them all – and one side that might do them some damage are Bayer Leverkusen in Saturday night's second-versus-third clash (5.30pm, BT Sport One).

Celebration: Bayern Munich's Thomas Muller (right) celebrates with team-mates after making it 2-0 in the impressive 3-1 win over Manchester City on Wednesday night

Upping the fashion stakes: Welling United's Park View Road is known by some as the San Siro

9. Edgar Davids will make his return to the San Siro this weekend ... well, in a fashion.

The Dutchman, who has played for both Milan and Inter during his illustrious career, leads his Barnet side out at Welling United (Saturday, 3pm), whose Park View Road ground is affectionately known by some fans as the 'San Siro' because of the local car dealership of that name that used to have a huge sponsorship board across the roof of one of the stands.

10. Since the demise of the old Home Internationals, the closest we get is the Sky Sports Victory Shield – a competition for the Under 16 teams of the four home nations.

Another edition of the famous old competition – established 1946 – starts on Friday night when England play Wales at Kidderminster's Aggborough ground (7.35pm, Sky Sports Two).

England coach Kenny Swain is certainly revved up for the competition. He said: 'We'll put on a good display to make people go away thinking once again that some very good technical players exist on our shores.

'It is a real honour for all of us to be working with these youngsters, introducing them to the international arena and sharing the pride enjoyed by their families, clubs and schools.'

Well put that man. He'll also be aware that England have a rather excellent record to maintain – 35 times winners, more than double Scotland's tally.

And the players in his squad will want to emulate some past heroes who have featured in the competition, including Peter Shilton, Stanley Matthews, Duncan Edwards, Bobby Charlton and Michael Owen.

Kids stuff: The Victory Shield, which has the home nations' top talents on show, begins on Friday

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2443304/SOMETHING-FOR-THE-WEEKEND-Jol-looking-shoulder-Allardyce-clear-now.html#ixzz2gk1iqWgZ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Time to explore or Khan Shahid deal with it?

As Jordan Mutch smashed in an injury time winner at Craven Cottage last Saturday, the masses around me began to create quite a hostile din, culminating in boos and screams of 'Jol Out', and it had been a long time coming.

For many, myself included, who have looked to back their arguments in retaining the Dutchman's services, they have finally given in and have come to the conclusion that the former Tottenham Hotspur man's tenure is relatively damaged beyond repair, with defeat at home to Stoke City this Saturday all but likely to seal his fate.

Views outside of SW6 will express a perplexed response to sacking Jol as we are only six games into the new season, but the 57-year-old has overseen a run of no league wins at home since April, with the climax of the 2012/2013 season ending in picking up a worrying four points out of a possible 24 in the final eight games of the Premier League campaign.

Fortress

The Whites' recent home form has seen the previous tag of Craven Cottage being a fortress slowly vanish, with the ability to make it tough for opposing sides almost non-existent at this current place in time. Gone are the years of defeating and outplaying clubs in the classier section of the table, with 3-0 drubbings of Manchester United only a distant memory.

A quite remarkable Europa League run back in 2009/2010 which mimicked that of a fairytale was supposed to be the catalyst towards the next chapter in the history of Fulham Football Club. However, following the departure of Roy Hodgson, things haven't gone exactly to plan. It would be argued that we have done well to manage top half finishes since then, and I would agree, but the club haven't taken advantage of our previous European exploits.

Jol came in after the somewhat bizarre departure of Mark Hughes, and with the Dutchman's previous exploits in England, a positive future was envisaged for the Cottagers. Unfortunately, Jol has looked to chop and change his squad since his arrival and for the majority of his time in office, he has looked to create his own squad and has succumbed to blaming lack of activity on the "lack of funds available".

For many a transfer window, Fulham fans have seen clubs around them spending large sums of money on quality players, whilst proceedings at Motspur Park have led to securing loan deals and free transfers, which has become far too regular for anyone's liking. There is a lot of admiration to be had in the way the club refuse to conform to the inflated prices of modern football on regular basis, but stability has been a big issue as a result.

Fulham boast one of the best academies in England, yet the persistence to resort to short-term, ageing solutions instead of blooding in some of the younger generation of players is an example of what has frustrated many fans. The exciting Kerim Frei saw his development grind to a quick halt and was swiftly sold to Besiktas along with Alexander Kacaniklic who has begun to show signs of decreasing ability as he continues his run in the first-team.

The average age of the squad has resembled that of a retirement home and has been a big concern for a while now. It wouldn't come as a surprise if half the squad were due their Freedom Pass in the near future. Joking aside, the Whites boast the oldest squad in the league and it is something that Jol has promised to address, and failed to do so.

This is hard for Fulham fans to swallow, particularly with the impressive opening run to last season's campaign which saw us play a strong Arsenal side off the park at the Emirates and place us in sixth place. Things were looking rosy at that point and the collective opinion was that Martin Jol had finally stamped his authority on the squad and the good times were coming.

Following an unfortunate domino effect of events in a controversial loss at home to Sunderland, which included a red card and three injuries to Fulham players in a 3-1 defeat, things started to go somewhat pear-shaped after an otherwise flawless start and the demise of the Dutchman began.

Predictable

Displays away from Fulham have been predictable and painful to say the least, with urgency lacking, and the necessity to hold onto a draw all too familiar. Negativity away from home has been a constant issue at the club for as long as I can remember, way before Mr. Jol's time.

He seems to have inherited the Fulham curse of turning into Accrington Stanley when we leave SW6. Previously, reliance on impeccable home form was the key towards successes and masking our frequently poor outings on the road. However, with the home form almost as derisory, it has produced a relegation battling side.

I for one am largely disappointed to see how things have turned out with Jol. The future looked bright with him at the realm but this has slowly reduced to a somewhat flickering candle in a big empty room. I will reiterate my stance in not relieving the man of his duties, but if the boys in white fail to pick up points this weekend, I'm afraid it will be the end of the road.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/time-explore-khan-shahid-deal/68387/?

WhiteJC

Stoke City: Mark Hughes laughs off previous 'handshake' with Martin Jol

MARK Hughes has been known to have a few touchline 'handshake barneys' during his time as a manager.

Not least with his Stoke predecessor Tony Pulis on a couple of memorable occasions.

And it's no different, it seems, where Fulham boss Martin Jol is concerned.

The pair didn't see eye-to-eye after Fulham won 1-0 at QPR last season.

Hughes not so Martin jolly

Hughes now laughs about the incident and says they have since spoken amicably at a Premier League gathering.

"It's fine. I'd forgotten about that," he said. "Martin does that, he just touches people on the back of the head. But I'd just been beaten, so I wasn't too pleased. I thought it was the wrong thing to do, so I reacted.

"I just brushed his arm away, that's all I did. But I've spoken to Martin since and we've had a laugh and a joke about it."

Read more: http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/story-19885258-detail/story.html?#ixzz2gk4BinlE
Follow us: @thisisstaffs on Twitter | thisisstaffordshire on Facebook

WhiteJC

Greece Is The Word

Giorgos Karagounis is ready, willing and able to make his first league start of the season in Saturday's (3pm) crucial home clash with Stoke City.

The Greek warrior has had to be content with a place on the substitutes' bench in Fulham's Barclays Premier League games so far this term.

But he replaced the injured Scott Parker seven minutes into last weekend's fixture with Cardiff City – and is hoping to get the nod to start this weekend as the Whites look to turn their fortunes around.

Karagounis told Saturday's matchday programme: "Competition is good for each player and it helps the team. It's up to the Manager to choose who he wants to play - our job is to be ready. Every week, I'll be prepared and waiting to give my all. Everyone wants to play week in, week out, but only 11 can get on the pitch. Sometimes you have to wait for your chance. All I can do is be ready for when the team needs me.

"We expected more than what we've managed so far. But when there are an awful lot of new players in a team, it can take time to find your feet. The Manager is trying to work out our best chemistry but sometimes it takes a while in order to achieve it. We have to be united and stick together to overcome this difficult situation. We must change it quickly because we don't deserve to be so low down in the table."

To read the full interview with Karagounis pick up an official matchday programme on Saturday.

Other key content in the only matchday magazine that matters - which is available to download digitally from 9am on Saturday - include:

Martin Jol's regular programme notes
Sascha Riether takes the Fulham 50 challenge
Former Stoke and Fulham striker Paul Peschisolido assesses this weekend's game
Ex-Whites forward Rob Haworth recalls a League Cup clash with Stoke
Young goalkeeper Marek Rodak outlines his hopes for the future
We continue our look at the players, Position by Position, to have made the biggest impact at FFC
There's a slice of programme nostalgia in Rewind
And Andy Melville is Yesterday's Hero
Priced £3.50, the 84-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Fans can also order copies directly from www.programmemaster.com

The programme is also available as an app with added video content from 9am on Saturday via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags. You can subscribe for the whole season for the digital edition or buy a single issue for £1.99.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/04/greece-is-the-word?

WhiteJC

A misfiring front line is just one problem for Fulham boss Martin Jol

Martin Jol's position at Fulham has come under increasing scrutiny after a poor start to the season and defeat against Stoke will leave him fearing the worst.

Jol looks to be on borrowed time at Craven Cottage after four points from their opening six games have left Fulham third from bottom.

If the Dutchman is to avoid becoming the second Premier League managerial casualty of the season, he needs to arrest a slide that has seen a new campaign start as the old one ended.

Fulham finished last season on a dismal run, losing five successive games before beating Swansea on the final day. At the time not too much was read into the slump but results have not improved and they have now won only two of their last 14 Premier League fixtures.

Fulham are also without a home win in the League for more than six months — since a 3-2 victory over Queens Park Rangers on April 1 — and Jol, whose contract expires this summer, has taken most of the flak.

It has not helped that Dimitar Berbatov (below) and Darren Bent have scored only one League goal between them this season. The pair have only made two starts together since Bent joined on loan from Aston Villa and Fulham desperately need Jol's preferred front pair to start firing.

Berbatov, who has struggled with a hamstring injury and is without a goal this season, is crucial to making Fulham tick. Jol has been criticised for his over-reliance on the Bulgarian but things could quickly fall into place around him if he can rediscover his best form. Bent still looks short of match sharpness.

Jol also has to find a way of fitting Adel Taarabt into a system that includes the creative Bryan Ruiz, while giving enough protection to a defence that looks exposed.

Defensive problems need to be addressed with late lapses proving costly against Newcastle, West Brom and Cardiff.

They look vulnerable without the injured Aaron Hughes and Maarten Stekelenburg, who both remain sidelined for tomorrow. Jol has Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell to shield his back four but there is a lack of protection in wide areas.

Much has been made of Fulham's ageing squad but their experience should be an advantage when trying to arrest the slide, starting tomorrow against a Stoke side, who have lost their last two following a bright start.

Home supporters turned on Jol after last Saturday's defeat by Cardiff and, while new owner Shahid Khan has backed his manager so far, patience is not a trait often associated with Premier League owners.

A negative result tomorrow could seal his fate but Bent insists the squad remains united. He said: "We know we have more to give, and I think we have seen glimpses of that so far. It is just a case of it coming together for us. We all share that belief. It is a good group here and we are in it together. That is really important."

Tomorrow also sees Mark Hughes return to Craven Cottage for the first time since resigning as Fulham manager in 2011. Hughes left under a cloud after less than a year in charge and now admits he probably made a mistake resigning.

The Stoke manager said: "When I was there I had a few doubts over what kind of investment would be made available to strengthen the team. Almost immediately after I left they started investing in good players and spending some money, so I probably got that wrong."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/a-misfiring-front-line-is-just-one-problem-for-fulham-boss-martin-jol-8858557.html

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Stoke: Match preview
A look ahead to Saturday's afternoon clash at Craven Cottage between Fulham & Stoke

Saturday's afternoon clash at Craven Cottage sees two teams currently struggling at the bottom half of the table, battle it out for much needed points.

Neither Fulham or Stoke have set the world alight in the first six games of the season, with Fulham starting the season with a 1-0 win at Sunderland but never capitalising on their bright start, whereas Stoke started with a loss to Liverpool but then went on a three game unbeaten run where they picked up their whole tally of seven points.

Both teams would be on the list for teams odds on for relegation after their depressing starts to the season so a game between them could be a chance for one team to life themselves back up into the top half, because only three points separates 15th (Stoke) and seventh (Man City).

Mark Hughes has added incentive going into Saturday's game, with the mentality that he will want to get one over on his former employers, whilst Fulham will be desperate to pick up points and should be a lot more lethal than the stats lead you to believe with both Darren Bent and Dimitar Berbatov at their disposal.

Team news

Fulham have quite the list of casualties with Scott Parker, Ashkan Dejagah, Matthew Briggs and Maarten Stekelenburg all certainties to miss the clash and Aaron Hughes looking to be left down to a late fitness test.

Stoke on the other hand only have two major injury doubts, with Jon Walters looking like he could miss his first game for Stoke in two years and Matthew Etherington could be left subject to a late fitness test as he continues to recover from whiplash last week. The good news for Stoke is that Brek Shea could return to first team action.

Stats

Both teams have scored just four goals so far this season.

Fulham and Stoke have met five times at Craven Cottage in the Premier League, and Fulham have come out as victors on four of those occasions, including their last three meetings.

They may have shared five Premier League games at Craven Cottage, but they have played 10 in total, and in all 10 of those games Stoke have only managed to score eight goals against Fulham.

Key Players

Fulham: Berbatov is always one to watch, but it depends which Berbatov turns up on Saturday, it could be his game or he could be defended out of it.

Stoke: Marko Arnautovic continues to impress and was one of the shining light of Sunday's defeat to Norwich, he will be wanting to get on the score sheet and prove he can be a prolific goalscorer.

Prediction: It's not gonna be first on Match of the Day and no one will remember the game at the end of the season, it will be a defensive affair and the winner will do so with a solitary goal.

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/130seMa

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

http://www.givemesport.com/387274-fulham-vs-stoke-match-preview?autoplay=on