more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (04/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 04, 2013, 09:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Bent: In It Together

Darren Bent insists Fulham are determined 'to put things right' against Stoke City on Saturday (3pm).

The Whites' somewhat disappointing start to the season continued last weekend when an injury-time strike by Jordon Mutch condemned Fulham to a 2-1 home defeat by Cardiff City.

But Bent, who arrived at the Club on loan from Aston Villa in August, is keen to forget about the loss to the Bluebirds and focus on getting three points from the clash with Mark Hughes' Stoke at the Cottage.

"The defeat against Cardiff was, as you'd expect, very difficult to take," Bent told the official website. "When you lose a game so late in the day, it's always tough. It wasn't our best performance, but I thought a draw was probably the fair result.

"Obviously you have to do your best to move on, and that's been the focus this week – we want to put things right against Stoke this weekend. We know that we have more to give, and I think we've seen glimpses of that so far. It's just a case of it coming together for us. 

"We just need to put it out of our heads now. If we can get three points on Saturday, before the international break, we can regroup and hopefully take a positive performance into the game at Crystal Palace in a few weeks' time.

"If we can string a couple of victories together, then we'll soon be pushing ourselves up the table. We all share that belief; it's a good group here at Fulham and we're in it together. That's really important."

With the season still in its infancy, England international Bent believes it's not time to panic, predicting plenty more twists and turns before the campaign concludes.

"I've been playing in the Premier League for a long time, and experienced lots of ups and downs," he said. "This is an extremely competitive league, make no mistake, and quite often the margins between winning and losing are very slim.

"Of course, there are a few things that we can improve and work on, but we certainly haven't been outplayed. Last week, against Everton in the League Cup, we played some great football, so hopefully we can show that again.

"We'll work hard as a team and defend from the front. It's about finding that balance, and, with a bit of luck, hopefully things will click into place for us."

The Potters are under a new manager in Welshman Hughes, with the former Whites boss taking over at the Britannia Stadium in the summer. They, too, have had a mixed start to the season as Hughes tries to bring his own philosophies into play.

"Saturday is a good opportunity for us, and although Stoke are a good side, I think we can get the result we need," stated Bent. "Stoke will be tough, like they always are, but we can make the home advantage count and get the three points. They [Stoke], under Mark Hughes, have a slightly different approach to previous seasons perhaps.

"They will be up for the battle, because their core group of players have been doing that for years. But they can mix it up a bit more now, they've got players that can get it down and play. They're a good side, and will be targeting three points themselves, but hopefully we can come out on top.

"It was a close game at Craven Cottage between the two last season, so I'm told, with a decent strike from Dimitar Berbatov the difference on the day. You have to take your chances and, if involved, I'll do my best to make an impact."

Bent has found the net twice for Fulham this term – but believes the best is yet to come.

The striker added: "I didn't really have a pre-season, so I'm still finding my feet a little. But I'm getting stronger by the day and feeling a lot sharper. I've got a couple of goals so far, and I'd certainly like to add to that tally over the coming weeks and months."

Tickets for Fulham v Stoke are still available on General Sale. Buy yours online at fulhamfc.com/tickets.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/03/in-it-together?

WhiteJC

Stoke City: 'Fulham can edge tight game,' says Darren Bent

DARREN Bent says Fulham will have to take any chances that fall their way to edge a close game against Stoke City.

The 29-year-old has scored twice in six appearances since joining the Cottagers on loan from Aston Villa and is hopeful he can bag a third on Saturday.

He is expecting the Potters to be as powerful and organised under Mark Hughes as they were under Tony Pulis but reckons he can leave them empty handed.

"Saturday is a good opportunity for us, and although Stoke are a good side, I think we can get the result we need," he told the official Fulham website.

"Stoke will be tough, like they always are, but we can make the home advantage count and get the three points. Under Mark Hughes they have a slightly different approach to previous seasons perhaps.

"They will be up for the battle, because their core group of players have been doing that for years. But they can mix it up a bit more now, they've got players that can get it down and play. They're a good side, and will be targeting three points themselves, but hopefully we can come out on top.

"It was a close game at Craven Cottage between the two last season, so I'm told, with a decent strike from Dimitar Berbatov the difference on the day. You have to take your chances and, if involved, I'll do my best to make an impact."

Bent will come up against his old teammate Stephen Ireland this weekend, another member of Villa's "bomb squad" who were cast out from Paul Lambert's squad and have left in search of regular football.

He believes he is slowly finding his form to help fire Fulham up the table.

"I didn't really have a pre-season, so I'm still finding my feet a little," he said.

"But I'm getting stronger by the day and feeling a lot sharper. I've got a couple of goals so far, and I'd certainly like to add to that tally over the coming weeks and months."

Read more: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-City-Fulham-edge-tight-game-says-Darren/story-19882616-detail/story.html#ixzz2gjs5CR98
Follow us: @thisisstaffs on Twitter | thisisstaffordshire on Facebook

WhiteJC

Former Fulham loan star admits he could be on the move

English clubs are on alert after AC Milan's Urby Emanuelson hinted he could leave the club in the summer.

Fulham landed the Dutchman on loan last season and Martin Jol remains an admirer - although his future at Craven Cottage is uncertain.

Other teams in the Premier League have tracked the 27-year-old, who has failed to command a regular starting place for Milan.

And Emanuelson says he could seek to leave if things do not improve.

"We'll see how things go. The season has just begun and I am a Milan player," the versatile midfielder told Italian TV station Mediaset.

"I have to see how things develop here and we'll see what happens at the end of the season."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/former-fulham-loan-star-admits-he-could-be-move-13100362627#m3DT3vRS7Pa1fwFO.99

WhiteJC

Fulham Hold Talks With Potential Martin Jol Successor

Cottagers considering Jol sacking after poor form.

Fulham have held talks with former Manchester United assistant manager Rene Meulensteen as they consider the future of under-performing manager Martin Jol, according to an exclusive report in the Daily Express.

Jol only took over as manager at Craven Cottage in 2011, but is under pressure after a poor start to the season, which has seen them lose four out of their six opening games in the Premier League, leaving them in 18th place.

With big names such as Dimitar Berbatov, Darren Bent and Adel Taarabt at his disposal, Jol is widely seen as having under-achieved with this side, and his days as head coach may now be numbered as Fulham take some steps to appointing his successor.

The man they have in mind for the job is Jol's fellow Dutchman Meulensteen, who although inexperienced as a manager, is highly rated for his coaching techniques after his fine work at Manchester United.

The 49-year-old is seen as being highly influential in the remarkable rise of Cristiano Ronaldo at Old Trafford, and has been linked with a number of managerial vacancies since leaving the club this summer.

Fulham have already held talks with Meulensteen, who is keen on taking the job if the Cottagers part company with Jol.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/10/03/fulham-hold-talks-with-potential-martin-jol-successor/?

WhiteJC

Everton to rival Aston Villa and Fulham for ex-Bhoy?

Aiden McGeady could head to Goodison in January but Aston Villa and Fulham are also interested.

Roberto Martinez is reportedly keen to rekindle his interest in Spartak Moscow winger Aiden McGeady with the Ireland international keen to return to British shores. Everton's Spanish boss was previously linked with a move for the former Celtic star during his time as manager of Wigan, and came close to landing the 27-year-old back in January, only for the deal to ultimately collapse.

But despite that setback McGeady is still believed to be eager to depart the Russian club, even though he has made seven appearances already this season, scoring once.

According to a report from Izvestia, the 27-year-old has been identified as a target for three different Premier League clubs, with Everton joined by both Aston Villa and Fulham in tabling a deal for the player. Everton could well be the player's preference though, given the presence of compatriot Seamus Coleman in the Toffees' squad and his previous eagerness to link up with Martinez at Wigan.

The Merseysiders could also offer McGeady the prospect of European football next season, having made an unbeaten start to the current Premier League campaign.

No fee has yet been quoted but it is thought that Spartak would be eager to recoup a fee as close as possible to the £9.5 million they paid for the player back in 2010.

Celtic could meanwhile be another potential destination for the player, who came up through the ranks at Parkhead, making 185 first-team appearances and scoring 31 goals in the process.

Any move to Everton could see McGeady initially operate as midfield cover for Kevin Mirallas and Leon Osman, though given the Belgian's susceptibility to injury, there could be plenty of first-team opportunities.

The Toffees top-four credentials look set to be put to the test this weekend though, with Roberto Martinez's team travelling to the Etihad to face Manchester City.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/10/03/jb-martinez-plotting-everton-move-for-mcgeady/?

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham vs. Stoke City

Fulham host Stoke City in the Premier League on Saturday in a game that could reportedly spell the end for Martin Jol's time in charge.

He will be up against the man whose place he took at the helm at Craven Cottage Mark Hughes with both sides struggling for points.

Fulham were beaten for the fourth time in five league games last weekend at home to Cardiff City, while Stoke lost to Norwich City at the Britannia Stadium.

The hosts will remain without Matthew Briggs and Maarten Stekelenburg, but Scott Parker could be available despite being taken off against Cardiff.

Matthew Etherington is unlikely to be risked following the car crash that kept him out of the Norwich game.

Recent form

Fulham: WLLDLL

Stoke: LWWDLL

Possible starting lineups

Fulham: Stockdale; Riether, Hangeland, Amorebieta, Richardson; Dejagah, Parker, Sidwell, Kacaniklic; Ruiz; Berbatov

Stoke: Begovic; Cameron, Shawcross, Huth, Pieters; N;Zonzi, Wilson; Walters, Adam, Arnautovic; Jones

Sports Mole says: 1-1

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/preview/preview-fulham-vs-stoke_108833.html

WhiteJC

Hughes ruled out of NI squad

Aaron Hughes has been ruled out of the Northern Ireland squad due to injury in the team's remaining World Cup qualifiers against Azerbaijan and Israel.

At a press conference on Thursday, manager Michael O'Neill said Plymouth Argyle's Rory McArdle has replaced the Fulham defender who was injured in training.

Chris Brunt, Chris Baird and Sammy Clingan all feature in the qualifying clashes.

Striker Kyle Lafferty - who O'Neill openly criticised after his dismissal in the Portugal game - is suspended for the Azerbaijan game but will be on standby for the Tel Aviv clash with Israel.

Kilmarnock midfielder Clingan has missed NI's last three qualifiers because of a knee injury.

O'Neill's side will be aiming to bounce back after the dismal 3-2 defeat to Luxembourg last month.

"They are the players that have served us throughout this campaign," O'Neill said.

"Certainly, we only made one change between Portugal and Luxembourg. Whilst we got a lot of plaudits on the back of the Portugal game, albeit a disappointing result in the end, they weren't the best in the world then and similarly they're not the worst in the world on the back of the Luxembourg game.

"I think they understand that that level of performance was poor. It was their poorest performance of the campaign, there's no doubt about that.

"Having spoken to a number of the players, they are well aware of that and I think this is an opportunity for them to put that right."

Northern Ireland take on Azerbaijan in Baku on next Friday and finish the campaign against Israel four days later.

NI squad to face Azerbaijan and Israel:

Carroll (Olympiacos), Mannus (St Johnstone), McGovern (Falkirk), McAuley (West Brom), J Evans (Man Utd), Bruce (Hull), Hodson (MK Dons), D Lafferty (Burnley) Cathcart (Blackpool), McArdle (Bradford), Baird (Reading), Davis (Southampton), Norwood (Huddersfield), McGinn (Aberdeen), Ferguson (Birmingham, on loan from Newcastle), C Evans (Blackburn), Brunt (West Brom), Clingan (Kilmarnock), Grigg (Brentford), McKay (Inverness), Paterson (Huddersfield), Ward (Derby), Magennis (Aberdeen).

http://www.u.tv/Sport/Hughes-ruled-out-of-NI-squad/a267960b-cab9-45a6-830c-c3098e6191ac?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Stoke

Fulham boss Martin Jol is feeling the heat but I think he is a really good manager who is just having a really bad time.

Of course, because Fulham have got a new owner and Jol wasn't his pick, you start thinking that there is a bit of inevitability about him being sacked.

Jol has got matchwinners in his squad, it is just he does not know his best team yet.

I would like to see more of the Darren Bent and Dimitar Berbatov partnership up front because, if they click, Fulham will start creating and scoring goals.

The crowd have been on Jol's back recently but on Saturday they might focus on Stoke boss Mark Hughes, who quit as Cottagers manager in 2011 because he said Fulham could not match his ambitions. They will want to put one over him.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0
Palin's prediction: 1-2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24338311?

WhiteJC

Hughes regrets decision to leave Fulham

Mark Hughes has admitted for the first time that he made a mistake in walking out on Fulham over two years ago.

Hughes will return to Craven Cottage this weekend with his new club Stoke City and will dredge up memories of his acrimonious departure from the club in June 2011.

The Welshman turned down the possibility to sign a new two-year contract with then-owner Mohammed Al Fayed and chose to activate break clause in his deal - before he eventually ended up in his ill-fated alliance with Queens Park Rangers.

Hughes has spoken at length about his problems at QPR, but has also admitted that he may not have become embroiled in the mess at Loftus Road, if he had remained working with Al Fayed.

"In hindsight I should not have left Fulham when I did. That is something I have thought about. I had such a fantastic time at the club and I felt that we had a great season," said Hughes.

"We finished eighth in the Premier League and we had some good times. I view my team there as a success. I hope that most Fulham fans think that too, but I don't feel that I have anything to prove to them."

Al Fayed, the Fulham chairman, was furious after Hughes activated the break clause and tendered his resignation and now the Welshman's successor Martin Jol is finding himself under pressure after a poor start to the season.

Suggestions have already begun that Fulham's new owner Shahid Khan is considering making a change and Martin O'Neill has been linked as a possible successor to the Dutchman.

Hughes is aware of the rumours flying around concerning Jol's future, but he is more concerned about repairing the damage caused by last Sunday's 1-0 home defeat by Norwich City and has stressed again there is no rift in his dressing room, after suggestions of a bust-up between Ryan Shawcross and Kenwyne Jones.

"No rift between Kenwyne and Ryan happened. I don't know why the reporter wrote what he did and I am more interested in putting things right with a good result," said Hughes.

"It was disappointing not to reach the levels we had reached earlier in the season and we need to put that right.

"There is a sense of disappointment in the air with the players, but they are a good group and we want to look forward and put things right, but we are under no illusions that it will be difficult."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/244103.html#lvYyLbpei2od315x.99

WhiteJC

Premier League Preview: Fulham v Stoke City

Struggling Fulham will seek to arrest a five-game winless run in the Premier League when they welcome Stoke City on Saturday.

Martin Jol's side slipped into the bottom three with a last-gasp 2-1 defeat to Cardiff City last weekend and they have not won at Craven Cottage in their last seven league matches.

Fulham's home record against Stoke does offer some cause for optimism, however, with the London club having prevailed in seven of their last eight meetings.

Dimitar Berbatov's first-half strike proved the difference last season, but the Bulgarian striker is yet to score a league goal this term.

In fact, no Fulham player has managed more than one goal in the top flight so far in this campaign, although Berbatov and Darren Bent were both on target in the 2-1 League Cup victory over Everton.

Their hunt for a first league win since the opening day will be hindered by the absence of Scott Parker, who lasted just seven minutes of the Cardiff clash before being withdrawn with a calf injury.

Fellow midfielder Ashkan Dejagah is also set to miss out with the same problem, having featured just once this season, in the League Cup first-round triumph against League Two Burton Albion.

And defender Aaron Hughes is also ruled out after suffering a knock in training.

The visitors, who have not won in three league matches, tend to struggle on the road and this weekend's clash will mark their 100th away game in the Premier League.

With just 15 wins so far, Mark Hughes will know that his side will have to up their game if they are to pile more pressure on his Dutch counterpart.

The Welshman has few selection concerns to contend with, although he confirmed that Jonathan Walters faces a late fitness test.

"Jon Walters is the big doubt for the game, but apart from that we are okay," he said. "We have one or two bumps and bruises in the camp, but nothing that should keep any of the lads out of the game on Saturday."

Meanwhile, Hughes has been quick to play down the prospect of facing his former club, having resigned from his post at Craven Cottage in 2011 after less than a year in charge.

"I don't think I am going there with a point to prove," he insisted. "I am sure that most Fulham supporters will have looked at the job that I did there and be very happy with it. We had a slow start but made a very strong finish, and ended up in eighth position in the Premier League, which was a fantastic finish for us.

"In hindsight, maybe I made the wrong decision (to leave). When I was there I had a few doubts about one or two things, and maybe saw things differently to others.

"But I am here at Stoke now though and my sole focus is on going there, performing to the best of our abilities and winning the game. They had a disappointing result last time out and we have been good away from home, so we are going there in good spirits."

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2013/October/03/premier-league-preview-fulham-v-stoke-city/

WhiteJC

Premier League: Stoke boss Mark Hughes admits he made mistake in leaving Fulham

Former Fulham manager Mark Hughes admits he probably made a mistake leaving the club when he did.

Hughes, who takes his Stoke side to Craven Cottage this weekend, resigned as Fulham boss in the summer of 2011 having led them to an eighth-placed finish and Europa League qualification through the Fair Play League.

At the time, he said: "As a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences", while then owner Mohamed Al-Fayed branded him a "strange man" and a "flop".

Speaking ahead of this weekend's fixture, Hughes said: "I left under something of a cloud.

"At the time I made the decision to leave because, given what I knew and what I thought was going to happen in the future, I couldn't commit to a new contract.

"I made the decision to leave but, with hindsight, it was probably the wrong decision.

"When I was there I had a few doubts over what kind of investment would be made available to strengthen the team. I interpreted that as maybe the club didn't want to keep on progressing.

"Obviously, almost immediately after I left they started investing in good players and spending some money, so I probably got that wrong.

"I don't think I have got anything to prove there. I am looking to go back there with my team now, which is Stoke, and do well. We need to get back on track."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11701/8954577?

WhiteJC

News: Cauley Woodrow extends loan

Striker to stay with Blues for a further 28-days
Cauley Woodrow has extended his loan deal from Premier League side Fulham by a further 28-days.

The young striker has featured four times for Blues so far this season, twice from the start, against Morecambe and Scunthorpe, and twice from the bench, against Bury and Bristol Rovers.

Phil Brown said: "Cauley has come in and done well so I'm delighted he'll be extending his stay with the club.

"It's good news for everyone concerned and means we've got very good options up front."

Read more at http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/031013-cauley-woodrow-loan-1093467.aspx?#b0SXuvFl0jo0svcw.99

WhiteJC

Fulham defender ruled out of Stoke clash

Hughes faces more times on the sidelines after suffering a setback in training

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes
Aaron Hughes will miss Saturday's crucial clash with Stoke City after breaking down in training.

The Fulham defender hasn't featured since the defeat at Newcastle in August due to a thigh problem.

Hughes was set to return to the fold to face the Potters at the weekend, only to suffer a setback in training this week.

The 33-year-old will also miss Northern Ireland's World Cup qualifiers against Azerbaijan and Israel.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-fc-defender-aaron-hughes-6134266?

WhiteJC

Everton & Fulham eye cheap McGeady deal

Exclusive

Everton and Fulham are hoping to bring Spartak Moscow's Aiden McGeady to England on a relatively cheap deal after the winger entered the final year of his contract with the Russian club.

The 29-year-old moved to the Lokomotiv Stadium in the summer of 2010 for £9.5 million from Scottish Premier League outfit Celtic – a deal which at the time made him the most expensive player to be sold by a Scottish club.

Everton manager Roberto Martinez was interested in bringing the Republic of Ireland international to Goodison Park over the summer but a move for the wideman did not materialise before the 2 September deadline.

However, McGeady has now entered the last year of his deal with Spartak and the former Celtic winger has no plans to extend his stay in Russia.

The Moscow outfit do want to lose him on a free transfer in the summer and are therefore willing to cash in on him when the market re-opens in winter.

A source has told SportsDirect News Martinez will re-ignite his interest in McGeady in January and is hoping the 27-year-old's contract situation will mean he can get him on Merseyside for less than the £6 million that Spartak want for his signature.

The Spanish coach is likely to face competition from their Premier League rivals Fulham who are also interested in a move for the wideman.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/33415-everton-fulham-eye-cheap-mcgeady-deal.php#.Uk58RRa_wds

WhiteJC

New Fulham Fashion

Browse the brand new Fulham Fashion ranges today.

Fresh into the warehouse, these collections are currently available online only, hitting the Stadium Store next week. Shop from fantastic pieces such as the Clark Crew Neck Sweater (£34.99) as worn by Kieran Richardson.

Be amongst the first Fulham fans to get hold of these exciting new styles, also including Fulham FC Denim Jeans in adult and child sizes. Order online now for delivery straight to your door.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/03/new-fulham-fashion?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Stoke City preview: Team strengths, tactics and stats
Check out all the vital statistics ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting at Craven Cottage

Ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting, between Fulham and Stoke, see how the sides compare on possession, pass accuracy, tactics and much more

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-v-stoke-city-preview-team-strengths-tactics-and-stats-8857038.html

WhiteJC

Sascha Riether v Geoff Cameron: Head-to-head analysis ahead of the clash between Fulham and Stoke City
Check out all the vital statistics concerning
the two sides' midfielders ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting at Craven
Cottage

Ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting, between Fulham and Stoke City, see how the sides' defenders Riether and Cameron compare.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/sascha-riether-v-geoff-cameron-headtohead-analysis-ahead-of-the-clash-between-fulham-and-stoke-city-8857106.html

WhiteJC

The FourFourTwo Preview: Fulham vs Stoke

Premier League | Craven Cottage | Sat 5 Oct | 3pm

Billed as
Unpopular former Cottagers boss looks to pile more pressure on current one.

The lowdown
Fulham fans are suffering from 'same old story' syndrome. It had all started so well with an opening day away success at Sunderland – only their 35th in 231 Premier League trips – but what was once 'Fortress Craven Cottage' has turned into a house of horrors. Last weekend's defeat to Cardiff was Fulham's sixth in their last seven at home, their longest winless run in the top flight since 1966, and late goals are continuing to cost the Cottagers dear.

Jordon Mutch's 25-yarder meant Fulham have conceded in the 84th minute or later for four successive league matches, with manager Martin Jol calling on his team to tighten up if they are to get anywhere in the coming weeks. As ambitious new American owner Shahid Khan watches on and supporters voice their discontent, the Dutchman knows he needs a result fast, and he could pick up some much-needed kudos by getting one over a Fulham hate figure.

Mark Hughes had led Fulham to eighth in the table and a Europa League spot in 2010/11. But he left fans angered and dismayed by resigning less than a year into the job, claiming the club's ambitions "just to stay in the Premier League" did not match his own. A tumultuous 10-month tenure at nearby QPR followed, but Hughes is having more fun further north as he steadily transforms Stoke.

The Potters head to the capital knowing they shouldn't have too much trouble improving on their last performance. A soporific display, in which they recorded just a single – and tame – shot on target, saw them lose 1-0 at home to Norwich. "We were below par," said Hughes. "This is a Premier League game and we need players to perform. We never got any pace or power into our game which is unlike us."

Indeed, Stoke made almost as many passes as Arsenal at the Emirates, ironically being undone by three set-pieces. They will look to their previous trip to London for inspiration, after beating West Ham.

Team news
Scott Parker lasted just seven minutes of Fulham's defeat to Cardiff and the Cottagers missed his assurance in midfield. Ashkan Dejagah, Matthew Briggs and Maarten Stekelenburg remain sidelined but Aaron Hughes may be back after a groin problem. The defender has not featured since the 1-0 defeat at Newcastle.

Stoke winger Matthew Etherington, who scored the winner the last time Stoke won away at Fulham, missed the defeat to Norwich with whiplash after being involved in a car accident, while Jamie Ness has a thigh injury.

Key battle: Karagounis vs N'Zonzi

N'Zonzi continues to have a standout season for Stoke. The former Blackburn man has been the Potters' best passer in all but one of their league games and was even the best passer on the pitch at Emirates Stadium two weekends ago. In the expected absence of Scott Parker it will be down to Steve Sidwell and wily Greek veteran Karagounis to win the midfield battle that may well determine the overall victor.

The 36-year-old replaced the injured Parker against Cardiff and was second only to Gary Medel in the passing stakes, as well as making 6 ball recoveries. In Fulham's 3-1 defeat to Arsenal in August, Karagounis came on after 75 minutes but still ended the game as the Cottagers' best tackler.

The managers
Jol holds the upper hand over Hughes with three wins, while the Welshman has yet to defeat his Dutch counterpart in seven meetings – the most recent a 1-0 Fulham win at Loftus Road in February 2012. The previous six were all Spurs-Blackburn encounters.

Jol needs his hoodoo over Hughes to continue, having felt the wrath of the Fulham faithful after last week's reverse. "They [the fans] expect us to do better. If you are in the bottom three or bottom five – even if it's early in the season - you get pressure. I take responsibility."

Facts and figures
Fulham have won four of their five Premier League home games against Stoke, including the last three in a row at Craven Cottage.

Stoke City have netted only eight goals in their previous 10 Premier League games against Fulham.

Fulham have picked up only one point in their last seven league matches at Craven Cottage (L6, D1).

The Whites have conceded a goal in 17 of their last 18 Premier League home matches, with their only clean sheet in this run coming versus Stoke (1-0 in Feb 2013).

Mark Hughes managed a win ratio of just 29% in the Premier League at Fulham; below current boss Martin Jol (32%).

Stoke have averaged 426 passes per game under Mark Hughes so far – well above the average under Tony Pulis over his five Premier League seasons with the Potters (280).

Both Stoke and Fulham have scored only four goals in their six Premier League games in 2013/14 – no side has netted fewer.

Fulham have conceded a goal in the 84th minute or later in each of their last four Premier League matches.

Five of the six goals that Stoke have conceded in the Premier League this season have arrived before the 38th minute of the game.

Fulham have allowed their opponents more shots on target than any other Premier League side this season (39).

FourFourTwo prediction
This fixture has been good to Fulham in the past, with seven wins in the last eight meetings at Craven Cottage. But the other match in that sequence was a 1-0 Stoke win in May 2010 with Matthew Etherington scoring after 83 minutes, and it wouldn't be a huge surprise if lightning struck twice to hand villain Hughes the points.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwo-preview-fulham-vs-stoke#yJtz2sc400cYuObr.99

WhiteJC

Harry Redknapp Rules Out QPR Returns For Loic Remy & Adel Taarabt

Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp says he is not thinking about returns for the players currently out on loan from the club, according to the Daily Express.

The London club suffered relegation from the Premier League last season, and as such have suffered the loss of several of their big names this year, with the likes of Loic Remy, Adel Taarabt and Park Ji Sung all leaving the club on loan for the year.

It had been suggested that these high-profile players could return to Loftus Road if Redknapp's side achieve promotion back to the top flight this year, but Redknapp has moved to rule this out as he is not interested in taking on players who are not committed to the club.

"Remy wanted to go to Newcastle, so good luck to him.

I hope he does well," he said."He's not in my thoughts. I only want people who are here and want to be here, that's all I'm concerned with."Taarabt and all those who've gone on loan, good luck to them. I hope they do well, stay where they are and get a contract there."

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/10/03/harry-redknapp-rules-out-qpr-returns-for-loic-remy-adel-taarabt/?

WhiteJC

Stoke City manager Mark Hughes backs Fulham successor Martin Jol ahead of return to Craven Cottage
Stoke City manager Mark Hughes returns to Fulham for the first time with his successor Martin Jol under pressure to turn things around at Craven Cottage

Mark Hughes could push Martin Jol closer to the sack this weekend as he prepares for his first return to Fulham since his surprise departure.

Hughes walked out of Fulham after less than 11 months in June 2011 amid doubts over the club's ambitions and will head into the game with huge uncertainty surrounding the future of his successor.

Jol is battling against significant unrest from supporters after an alarming run of one point from the last seven home matches and is understood to have told friends he fears his days could be numbered.

Hughes, the Stoke City manager, has insisted that dismissing Jol at such an early stage of the season would be "crazy" but another home defeat for the Dutchman could force new owner Shahid Khan into his first major decision since succeeding Mohamed Fayed .

"It's too early to talk about managers leaving their jobs and it's ridiculous that a quality manager like Martin Jol is under pressure," said Hughes. "He's worked at a high level throughout his career and he has the knowledge and the experience to get through a perceived period of uncertainty. There's a lot of disruption at the start of the season with international breaks and transfer windows.

"The league doesn't settle down until 10-15 games in, it's only then you really know exactly what kind of situation you're going to be involved in.

"Until you get to that point in the season then you can't be quite sure what the season holds for you. After five or six games, when you've got a manager with the experience of Martin Jol in the position, you just need to let him get on with his job because he knows what's required. He knows what he needs to do and he'll get the job done."

Hughes is also set for a hostile reception at Fulham after resigning two years ago, despite leading them to an eighth-placed finish that secured them a Europa League place.

He was described as "a strange man" by Fayed after claiming that Fulham failed to match his ambitions but has admitted that it was a mistake to leave.

Hughes had been in talks over a contract extension but opted to leave and then endured a nightmare experience at his next post with Queens Park Rangers.

He said: "I left under something of a cloud and hindsight is a wonderful thing in football. I made a decision to leave the club because of what was going to happen in the future and I felt I couldn't commit to a new contract.

"Looking back, it was probably the wrong decision. I had a few doubts about what kind of investment was going to be made available to strengthen the team and I interpreted that as the club not wanting to progress.

"But after I left they signed Bryan Ruiz for nearly £11 million so I probably got that wrong. I think most Fulham fans would think I did well in the short time I was there. I don't think I've got anything to prove there."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10354563/Stoke-City-manager-Mark-Hughes-backs-Fulham-successor-Martin-Jol-ahead-of-return-to-Craven-Cottage.html