https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Martin Jol - Dead Man Walking?

Started by JDH101, October 04, 2013, 06:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Jimpav on October 04, 2013, 08:17:11 PM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on October 04, 2013, 07:58:44 PM
I wonder. When the dust has settled, the blood letting has ceased and there is a rainbow over The Cottage will the analysis show the demise of Jol was the introduction of Berbatov?

I was wondering this myself - after all we finished with our highest ever points total in Jols first season.

On the other hand though Berbatov eased to 13 goals last season without breaking a sweat.

I can't help but think that Jol made his own bed though when he signed Berbatov.  He has built his 'tactics' round him and his reluctance to drop him makes it hard to change the way we play.

The goals will always be the key point won't they. Would Petric have flourished, he tore Norwich to pieces and ran the Man Utd back four ragged before Berbatov turned up, or would we have succumbed to a 4.4.1.1 leaving him as isolated. Ruiz might have flourished though as playmaker and maybe having to find a slot for an eleventh man the likes of Kassami, Dejagah and Frei might have had more of a chance. They might have all failed of course .................... but we will never know. The reluctance to drop Berbatov after a series of pitifall performances proved more about Jols inadequacies than his management. When all is said and done I don't suppose Berbaiov can help being five seconds ahead of his team mates, or in some cases ten, eleven ........ fifteen........ three days.........

BestOfBrede

I was going to start a thread before tomorrow's game, plea'ing for full support at a time where calm is required! It was gonna be my Churchill speech to rally the troops. I now see that this is pointless. It seems unfortunately, that there are people that win, lose or draw, will not be happy until we sack the Manager and start again all over from scratch! In fact, I think that some actually want us to lose to prove their point!
It's sad and I wonder where that "still believe" spirit has gone?
Maybe it's the home support as maybe the majority are not as passionate? I fondly remember the amazing support at away games where the chips were well and truly down! For example, Remember when we were 2-0 down at Man city and relegated? We supported the team to make that comeback against all odds and win. Remember away at Pompey last game of the season? It has been known at home as well of course - remember Juve? Why can't we fully support the team tomorrow to victory? What will you achieve by slating the team during play?
If we go 1-0 down - so what? We've been there many, many times and have much more chance of recovering with the supporters actually SUPPORTING!
Oh well......
I give up
093.gif

RaySmith

Agree BoB.

I feel as if i am supporting the team against  my fellow fans, as well as the those of the opposition.

Don't give up , though, I'm not going to - and will always get behind the team and the manager, and i think we represent the majority of Fulham fans, if not the majority on here.

COYW

Burt

I think he is a dead man walking. It was awful to see him after the Cardiff match. Head in hands after the Cardiff winner, and at a loss, almost on the verge of tears, in the post match interview. Felt sorry for him...

Berserker

I wasn't going to go tomorrow as it is the anniversary of my mum's passing.  I just don't know if I can take another depressing disappointing match as I'm depressed enough as it it.  :026:

I also don't think I can stay away and try to pretend nothing is being played until I accidentally see the score later on (or more likely Mr B tell's me).  Oh what a quandary, do I stay or do I go   :023:

Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

bigalffc

Quote from: BestOfBrede on October 04, 2013, 10:16:02 PM
I was going to start a thread before tomorrow's game, plea'ing for full support at a time where calm is required! It was gonna be my Churchill speech to rally the troops. I now see that this is pointless. It seems unfortunately, that there are people that win, lose or draw, will not be happy until we sack the Manager and start again all over from scratch! In fact, I think that some actually want us to lose to prove their point!
Maybe it's the home support as maybe the majority are not as passionate? I fondly remember the amazing support at away games where the chips were well and truly down! For example, Remember when we were 2-0 down at Man city and relegated? We supported the team to make that comeback against all odds and win. Remember away at Pompey last game of the season? It has been known at home as well of course - remember Juve? Why can't we fully support the team tomorrow to victory? What will you achieve by slating the team during play?
If we go 1-0 down - so what? We've been there many, many times and have much more chance of recovering with the supporters actually SUPPORTING!
Oh well......
I give up
093.gif

I agree with the sentiment but on the occasions you cite the team were all giving their all for Fulham this is not happening now.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

JDH101

Oh well......
I give up
093.gif

My original post to start this thread was not the usual JOL OUT which has taken over this board. It was merely that I noticed Khans other team were going to be playing at Wembley in a few weeks and it got me thinking about how convenient that is.

However, since it has become a JOL OUT thread, here is my 2 cents: I've been a Fulham since the day I was born, back in the mid 70s. I've seen, like most of us have, some pretty dire Fulham teams over the years. But I have never seem a team that does not care. Until now. To see a Fulham legend like Hangerland phone in the performance he did last week against Cardiff makes me think he's either unfit or Jol has lost the dressing room. If its the latter, then its hard to come back from that.

What I am trying to say is that just as much as anyone, I want Fulham to win tomorrow and start climbing up the table. However, with Jol in charge I think we will go down. Regardless of the result tomorrow, we would get relegated with Jol in charge. So a win tomorrow just papers over the cracks for me. He needs to go. This team has gone backwards under him and anyone that can't see that clearly doesn't know much about football.

Cheer all you want tomorrow. I will too. But the moment that final whistle goes and Fulham have not picked up 3 points along with a good performance, I will be booing my arse off. Its the only way we can get our message across.

Forever Fulham

I hope that if Jol leaves, Berbatov is given a proper opportunity to flourish under a new system.  Much as some of us want him out as well, he's a world class player with jaw dropping skills.  What we don't know for sure is whether he is playing deep and failing to go up and charge into the cannons by himself because of either 1) Jol; 2) his shell-shocked aged teammates; 3) no one above him (until Bent) to take it and go; 4) or all of the above.  That kind of talent doesn't disappear overnight.  Didn't he win the Golden Boot for crying out loud?!  We aren't so old across the entire roster that we can't put out a nice mix in age, change the lineup, change the direction from the gaffer's chair, and change the result of future games.  Berbatov can be a big part of that.  He needs a second look under a different manager. 

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Berserker on October 04, 2013, 11:05:17 PM
I wasn't going to go tomorrow as it is the anniversary of my mum's passing.  I just don't know if I can take another depressing disappointing match as I'm depressed enough as it it.  :026:

I also don't think I can stay away and try to pretend nothing is being played until I accidentally see the score later on (or more likely Mr B tell's me).  Oh what a quandary, do I stay or do I go   :023:

If I go there will be trouble
An if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know
Should I stay or should I go?

Just to dispel the theory that we are simply Jol Outees we are leaving at about 8am and embarking on a crusade. Should be in Bishops Café for munchies about 2. Now you know you will be really miffed if you don't go and your Mum would not want you pacing about the place .................. and besides its Brian's turn with the half time munchies and he has to pay. Could be more entertaining than the game!

RolandAJ

Quote from: Berserker on October 04, 2013, 11:05:17 PM

I also don't think I can stay away and try to pretend nothing is being played until I accidentally see the score later on (or more likely Mr B tell's me).  Oh what a quandary, do I stay or do I go?

Go. 
For no other reason than to see the head-clasping hand shaking wrestling between MJ and Sparky after Fulham puts Stoke down as a going away present from Martin.
I truly wish Jol was doing a better job. 
I like him and cannot understand how his sides keep coming out flat.

Roland
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."  Milan Kundera

Or does that not count because it doesn't fit your grouch-centric opinion?

Burt

Mrs B, on the basis that if you stay your trouble will be double, of course you need to go...

The Old Count

Oh well......
I give up
093.gif

The team was different then as other posters have mentioned. We were cohesive and played to our strengths. You could see what the manager was trying to do. Roy's post match and pre match interviews were intelligent and thoughtful. There were no sexist references, blunders and Sanchez like lame excuses as there are now.

I've just had two operations. I've missed the last four matches but I will be hauling my sorry backside along to cheer the team on. Even if we lose I won't boo. But I want Jol gone. He doesn't fit a club like ours. I'm sure he isn't an oaf but he comes across as one.

ffc73

Quote from: Jimpav on October 04, 2013, 08:17:11 PM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on October 04, 2013, 07:58:44 PM
I wonder. When the dust has settled, the blood letting has ceased and there is a rainbow over The Cottage will the analysis show the demise of Jol was the introduction of Berbatov?

I was wondering this myself - after all we finished with our highest ever points total in Jols first season.

I can't help but think that Jol made his own bed though when he signed Berbatov.  He has built his 'tactics' round him and his reluctance to drop him makes it hard to change the way we play.

This is what I think now.  Jol is 'blinded' by Berbatov to the detriment of the team and the club

Me-ate-Live, innit??

The Old Count I do hope you recover well from your ops and are fighting fit soon
.......and you summed up the Jols reign very well  :54:

The Old Count

Quote from: KCat on October 05, 2013, 09:52:55 AM
The Old Count I do hope you recover well from your ops and are fighting fit soon
.......and you summed up the Jols reign very well  :54:

Cheers...If we win 3 - 0 I'll probably have a relapse...worth it though.

bill taylors apprentice

I saw on here somewhere Jol "has all the pieces but doesn't know how to put them together" and to a degree I would agree.

Yes, he has had to be "inventive" with his signings due to the clubs situation, he has shipped out some of the older, higher earners who were passed their sell by dates and of course he was unlucky to lose Dem & Dem just after Murphy moved on and he seems to be well thought of in the wider football community.

So why oh why, does he pick teams who look like they are set up to try and win high scoring games but in fact play with fear, little confidence and with lead in their boots?

We may never know, but it can not continue much longer, unlike the "football community" and the press WE know this has not happened over night. He may go on to better things and i would like it to be with us but while the points are important if the style and shape of the team doesn't improve today its time to go.  

alfie

Quote from: HatterDon on October 04, 2013, 08:12:06 PM
He's gone after tomorrow's match regardless of the result.

Whats the lottery numbers HD, unless of course you have absolute 100% inside information, of course if you are correct i will apologise tomorrow.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't