News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anyone flying into Bremen and then getting the train to Hamburg?

Started by Admin, May 07, 2010, 03:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

If so, I'd appreciate some advice. I've not been away for a while so a bit worried about getting it right 1st time. Me and the old man are deprating from Stanstead airport at 06.30am Tuesday and will be arriving at Bremen airport at 08.50am Tuesday.

I've been told that there is a main line train service just outside or not far outside the Bremen airport which goes direct to Hamburg and takes 75 minutes for around 20 Euro's return. I don't need the return as I'm not coming back until Friday morning. I've also been told that there is an express train that gets you to Hamburg quicker in about an hour. If this is correct, how much is it and does it go from the same train station.

When arriving in Hamburg, my Hotel it literally a stones throw from the train station so I don't have a problem with this. It's something like turn left, 100 yards up the road on the right, can't be missed.

Now....

Coming back, our flight from Bremen is 09.25am Friday morning arriving in Standstead at 09.45am Friday morning (we're going for 4 days). Typical Ryan air times but thats all that was available. Obviously got to be at the airport an hour before the flight plus the train back might take 75 mins so does anyone know if a train goes from Hamburg at stupid o'clock to get us there in time  :dft005:

Any help would be appreciated and if there is anyone flying in-out of Bremen at those times from Stanstead then it wouldn't be a problem buddying up.  :59:

The Doctor

We're flying into Bremen as well, but only doing an overnighter.  A mate has organised the trains, and he did it through http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/

There are direct trains from the airport (flughafen) to Hamburg Hbf (Hauptbahnhof = main train station) which seem to run every hour and cost €19, as well as running stupidly early for your return trip.

Hope this helps

Admin

Hi The Doctor thanks for this. I've had a quick look at the website and will study it a little better tonight after 10 pints. Do you have to book your train tickets through that website direct or can you pay for them directly at the train station? I noticed it gives times, dates etc which is good for working out a route but when putting in my destination, it came up with loads of different places in Hamburg. Is it Hamburg hbf that we need and none of the others? Thanks.

The Doctor

I've never been to Germany before, so can't answer if you can buy tickets at the station on the day I'm afraid.  We just opted to buy our tickets through the website on the assumption that an advance ticket is cheaper, just as it would be over here.  You can have the tickets e-mailed to you so you can print them out, which saves a bit of hassle.

I honestly don't know where all the other places in Hamburg are, but sticking with Hbf is the safest option.  Its an abbreviation for "hauptbahnhof", which (if I remember my GCSE German rightly) is the main railway station.  Applying the same caveat, flughafen = airport.

As you'd expect, the hauptbahnhof is centrally located in terms of Hamburg's public transport network (map at http://www.hvv.de/pdf/fahrplaene/usar/USAR-Plan.pdf )

JBH

Petty sure that you can purchase tickets on the day, I have travelled in Europe before by train and have never had to pre purchase a ticket, you can eith get them at the ticket window or machine both of which take Cash of Credit Card

Good Luck

FatFreddysCat

Not 100% sure but i thought Hamburg Altona was the main station, but could be anoputher line.

cebu

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 07, 2010, 06:34:18 PM
Not 100% sure but i thought Hamburg Altona was the main station, but could be anoputher line.
Hamburg Hbf (main station) and Hamburg Altona are separate stations!

And you can buy tickets at the station(s). On the day. Might have to stand though, if you're unlucky.

clintclintdeuce

Was in this airport last year... very user friendly. There will be people in the center of the airport to help you with your trip that speak english. Bremen is a crisp and clean city, and I highly suggest stopping in the town and having or grabbing a few pints of HAAKE BECK.... only sold within 45km or so of the plant, one of the best beers ive ever had.
The Dude abides.

finnster01

I have been to Bremen, but not the airport. It is a neat city, has a nice cathedral and stuff like that, but not much to do really. The old town is pretty neat it is by the river (Weser).

I am going straight to Hamburg from NY but now they have delays due to the ash poo again. They have to go way up in Greenland and come back down again, which will potentially cause me some time issues as I arrive in the morning (via Frankfurt) unless that Icelandic volcano stops farting for a bit.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

clintclintdeuce

my avatar photo was actually taken outside the Becks plant in Bremen now that I think of it
The Dude abides.

flirpit

Hi, I don't think there's a train station at the airport; you have to get a tram to bremen hbf (there's a direct tram there) and then from there you can get a train that takes about an hour to hamburg; i think they go to hbf and altona so you should find out which train station your hotel is near. use the bahn.de website to find times, will cost between 20 and 30euro each way depending on if you go on a metronome or an IC which is nominally faster but i think the difference between bremen and hamburg is only 15minutes.
@garthurabbott

KCat

If you check in  online ...16 hours before (do it at an internet cafe) it makes the airport less stressful
and if you both have only hand luggage you can go straight to the departure gate no queuing to check in

Would you not consider staying the night in Bremer .????????.a hotel near the airport then you would not have to rush Dad ................most hotels on the Continent can be cancelled up to 48 hours before  the first night ...phone the hotel direct they are usually really cool about it