News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A short piece I wrote for my local paper back in Tasmania....

Started by Hazey, May 08, 2010, 01:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazey

Thought a few of you may be interested in this....

Little did I know back on that cold, London winter Wednesday night in February 2005 that I was being seduced?  The crisp air, heightening my senses, chilled breathe lingering in the perfect stillness; lips pursed, eyes wide, gloved fingers fidgeting in excited expectation.  I was totally absorbed.

Looking back now this was the night I started falling in love.

So far from home, what would Mum and Dad be thinking as I became more infatuated with this slow burning desire I was feeling on the other side of The World?  Would they be upset?  Perhaps thinking that such feelings and love could delay my return home?

I still get goose bumps and can't help but grin as I recall those final seconds......before kick off!  The evening dew glistening on the floodlight pitch, as I stood with 20,000 fellow fans to cheer on my local team in the English Premier League – Fulham Football Club.

When you settle for a time in England, you quickly learn that football is engrained in just about every aspect of life. You find yourself falling for a game which can be as equally as frustrating as it is intoxicating.  The on field prima-Donna antics of ridiculously overpaid athletes has you cringing at the contempt they show while on the other hand the tension and excitement of a last minute goal or brilliant save to avoid defeat gives you sheer exhilaration.

I had made a choice, and just like others presented to me in my lifetime I had taken the road less travelled.  Within a few miles of my home there were two clubs and I chose Fulham Football Club over there bigger, uglier corporate cousin, Chelsea.  At first it was probably due to actually being able to get tickets, but it soon becomes apparent there is something pretty special about London's oldest football club, with its heritage listed ground on the bank of the Thames.

It hasn't been an easy ride and for the first few years it was tough work to sit through games where Fulham struggled to even touch the ball, let alone score, but the club keep battling and my feelings of pride and attraction intensified to a point where the seduction was complete on the final day of the 2007-2008 season.  At Christmas Fulham were well entrenched in the relegation zone, without a coach and a dead certainty for relegation.

Enter, Roy Hodgson, a composed, elegantly spoken English journeyman manager who had enjoyed success on the continent over the years was convinced to take the helm and some how miraculously steered Fulham to that point on the final day, when around the 80th minute, captain Danny Murphy managed to head the ball into the back of the net, Fulham won 1-0 and avoided relegation on goal difference.

Two season on, I now find myself a season ticket holder and about to embark on what is definitely a once in a lifetime chance, not just for me, but realistically Fulham Football Club itself.  After a brilliant 2008-2009 season of punching well above our perceived weight, Fulham hit the heady heights of 7th in the Premier League and secured a place in the Europa League.

The Europa league is really created to help the bigger clubs, who for one reason or another get knocked out early from the Champions League.  The extra TV coverage and exposure brings more sponsors and filling out the league with smaller clubs from all over Europe generally gives them a chance to get some silverware in the trophy cabinet.  So it was with low expectations but huge excitement that Fulham fans watched in the early qualifying rounds in July last year.

As Fulham clocked up just under 20,000 miles a remarkable belief began to grow within the Fulham players and even the most pessimistic of supporters.  After holding our own in a two legged war of attrition against Italian giants Roma, then fighting off Swiss Champions Basel we made it through to the elimination rounds.  And here in the last 32, things definitely got no easier.

What took place over the next 6 weeks is nothing short of amazing as the team dug in and put up gritty away performances, determination and indefatigueable self belief form to somehow come from behind and force our way past last years UEFA champions Shaktar Donetsk, Italian giants Juventus, German champions Wolfsburg and Champions League regulars Hamburg.

Suddenly it is no longer a tantalising, distant fantasy, but reality that I will be there in Germany, in love, and with a real belief that I may see my lover achieve a miracle.  I can only imagine the hunger with which a lifetime supporter craves this long night of unrivalled passion and exhilaration with Fulham.

So if you are tuning in to the final, keep an eye out for the two Launceston lads with the Aussie flag in the stands and give us a cheer in support of a dream that even against the odds, in a sport dominated by money, a little romance is still possible!

Come on you whites!
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

CorkedHat

I spent four years in Ulverstone on the NW Coast, Hazey, where I edited the local newspaper.
In all that time I only met one other Fulham supporter although I also saw on the Collectors TV program a guy from Launceston who was also a Fulham fan. Indeed he appeared on the program wearing a Fulham shirt.
Where on the Island are you from?
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Lighthouse

Great stuff.

I have said it many times but as an old fan who used to be thrilled when there were stories of another Fulham fan anywhere in England, it is great to read about other fans from far flung places. Like Norwich. Or even another Country. Makes me very proud of our club.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

finnster01

Good stuff Hazey.

Look out for an old geezer in an old Fulham top in Lederhosen and maybe we can grab a brew and some German Barbie
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Hazey

I'll have on my new Zoltan T shirt with the image that is my avatar to start with, then switching into my fabeld Zamora COYW T shirt as I've worn it to every European game and we haven't lost one so I am too scared to change the mojo.

Quote from: finnster01 on May 08, 2010, 01:33:26 AM
Good stuff Hazey.

Look out for an old geezer in an old Fulham top in Lederhosen and maybe we can grab a brew and some German Barbie

At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

Hazey

I'm a Launnie boy Cork.  Actually just been passing the time looking at land and houses, then emailing them to the Welsh Missus to tempt her....

Quote from: CorkedHat on May 08, 2010, 01:16:56 AM
I spent four years in Ulverstone on the NW Coast, Hazey, where I edited the local newspaper.
In all that time I only met one other Fulham supporter although I also saw on the Collectors TV program a guy from Launceston who was also a Fulham fan. Indeed he appeared on the program wearing a Fulham shirt.

MGBadrock

hazey, im also an australian fulham fan although im from melbourne and iv actually seen your aussie flag quite a few times on the tv.  iv always wondered who it was and was glad to see that there are more aussie fulham fans!
keep up the good work!

AmericanJames

Good work mate, I wish my older brother an I could be over there cheering on the mighty whites with you lot but unfortunately I will be stuck in the states cheering alone in the states. Have a beer and a laugh for me please.

Fulham for the Cup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

CorkedHat

Quote from: Hazey on May 08, 2010, 03:34:44 AM
I'm a Launnie boy Cork.  Actually just been passing the time looking at land and houses, then emailing them to the Welsh Missus to tempt her....

Quote from: CorkedHat on May 08, 2010, 01:16:56 AM

So you are a Jimmy Boags man then, Hazey. I did some work on the Examiner when I was there and I am quite fond of Launnie.

gang

ScalleysDad

Punctuation, prose, emotion and compelling .................. from an Aussie. Blimey.
Well done, might see you in Hamburg as I doubt anybody else will be wearing 'that' T shirt.................

LBNo11

...Hazey, thank you for a lovely read. You should keep in contact with Corked Hat, a talented writer who left our shores for Australia. You have a talent...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Steve_orino

Mr. the Haze, a very good write.   :clap_hands:

Incredible the amount of good writers we have on this MB...including the Great Mr CorkedHat.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

CorkedHat

Quote from: LBNo11 on May 08, 2010, 02:01:40 PM
...Hazey, thank you for a lovely read. You should keep in contact with Corked Hat, a talented writer who left our shores for Australia. You have a talent...

Fanks fur that LB. Ive always bin good at speling and gramer and my punksheation as been good to

flynny

very passionate and heart felt, good to hear our fans with such positive expression on club and not negative depression as usual.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: flynny on May 09, 2010, 06:21:25 PM
very passionate and heart felt, good to hear our fans with such positive expression on club and not negative depression as usual.
We'll probably be meeting up with Hazey in Hamburg Flynny, which reminds me i must pm him my number  :doh: .

FatFreddysCat

Just a thought Hazey, being an Ozzie you wont be wearing bloody flip flops will  you?  :dft007:

CorkedHat

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 09, 2010, 06:29:48 PM
Just a thought Hazey, being an Ozzie you wont be wearing bloody flip flops will  you?  :dft007:

Thongs, if you don't mind Fred. Those flip flops we wear on our feet are called thongs :035:

Hazey

Thanks for all the positive reactions guys.

I haven't heard anything back from the sports editor yet, so they probably won't publish it.

Ah well you can only try.

No thongs for me FFC, actually it sh*tes when blokes do that, going round all too cool for school in the middle of bl**dy winter in them!

Have got yr number mate, will drop you a text when we burst thru the ash cloud and land.

chez

A lovely read Hazey, from the heart... made me smile.
:sir_roy:

Many Fulham supporters where ever they maybe Wednesday will be in a state of excitment/nerves.... just remember you are not alone!!