watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Match fixing

Started by Andy S, October 12, 2013, 07:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Snooker's Ronnie O 'Sulivan has said that he was offered a Bribe 10 years ago. In 1964  David Layne, Peter Swan and Tony Kay were all banned from the game for life. Could match fixing exist in football today?

Fulham76

Quote from: Andy S on October 12, 2013, 07:17:17 PM
Snooker's Ronnie O 'Sulivan has said that he was offered a Bribe 10 years ago. In 1964  David Layne, Peter Swan and Tony Kay were all banned from the game for life. Could match fixing exist in football today?

You'd need a lot of players from the same team to be in on it. Pretty difficult for 1 or even 2 players to fix a match on their own.

Andy S

Unless you are a goal keeper

Fulham76

Quote from: Andy S on October 12, 2013, 07:27:57 PM

True. But you'd have to be pretty good at selecting the games to 'fix' to make sure they earnt you loads of cash. Doubt you'd get too many opportunities if you kept making the mistakes that affected the outcome.

Tempest

Across the world this is a problem, was a section on Talksport I think this week about the influence of Far East betting syndicates but aiming at the lower leagues as they're more likely to accept and need cash bribes to get by.

Slightly different but Le Tissier admitted to putting the ball out of play straight from kick off in order to allow a bet to be paid. Not sure if he placed the bet or a friend, but he failed, apparently tried to make it look like a genuine pass and turned out it was a perfect pass to his winger.

If you look at recent games in Spain involving Madrid and Barca, I wouldn't be surprised if there is something amiss with the referees out there.

I really don't see why people thing the PL is whiter than white?? Drugs (acknowledged that some players "injured" for long periods were in rehab, fixing, as for owners, what better way to launder money than a football club. All my opinion of course, apart from Le Tiss and the drug thing no proof of any of it.
Live in Falmouth!

fulhamben

Quote from: Tempest on October 12, 2013, 07:52:59 PM
Across the world this is a problem, was a section on Talksport I think this week about the influence of Far East betting syndicates but aiming at the lower leagues as they're more likely to accept and need cash bribes to get by.

Slightly different but Le Tissier admitted to putting the ball out of play straight from kick off in order to allow a bet to be paid. Not sure if he placed the bet or a friend, but he failed, apparently tried to make it look like a genuine pass and turned out it was a perfect pass to his winger.

If you look at recent games in Spain involving Madrid and Barca, I wouldn't be surprised if there is something amiss with the referees out there.

I really don't see why people thing the PL is whiter than white?? Drugs (acknowledged that some players "injured" for long periods were in rehab, fixing, as for owners, what better way to launder money than a football club. All my opinion of course, apart from Le Tiss and the drug thing no proof of any of it.
has a footballer ever been caugth taking performane inhancing drugs? its normally just recreational drugs which is just a bad lifestyle choice as opposed to cheating to try and sway an outcome of a match
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

ron

No names, no pack drill......but..........(even then, allegedly....) 

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Fulham76 on October 12, 2013, 07:41:53 PM

True. But you'd have to be pretty good at selecting the games to 'fix' to make sure they earnt you loads of cash. Doubt you'd get too many opportunities if you kept making the mistakes that affected the outcome.

That's why Bruce Grobbelar got away with it. He 'allegedly' was in on a match fixing thing whilst at Liverpool, but during the match that he was 'allegedly' fixing, he pulled off about 10 stunning saves so that nobody would latch onto it
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

btings

It most certainly exists. It happens all over the place, including in World Cup qualifiers. It just depends whether it is happening in the Prem.

fulhamben

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on October 12, 2013, 09:53:23 PM
Quote from: Fulham76 on October 12, 2013, 07:41:53 PM

That's why Bruce Grobbelar got away with it. He 'allegedly' was in on a match fixing thing whilst at Liverpool, but during the match that he was 'allegedly' fixing, he pulled off about 10 stunning saves so that nobody would latch onto it
he dived the wrong way against wimbledon once and saved it instead of letting it in, he said it cost him thousands
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

The King

Of course it exists in football, and it's quite massive as well. Outside Europe, but in Europe too. For example the Serie B is nothing but fixed matches.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: fulhamben on October 12, 2013, 09:41:59 PM
has a footballer ever been caugth taking performane inhancing drugs? its normally just recreational drugs which is just a bad lifestyle choice as opposed to cheating to try and sway an outcome of a match

Think there was a lower league player than got caught.  Not sure if it was accidental or intentional though, but he didn't get that big of a ban I don't think.

From the all knowing Wiki:

"In the 2002-03 season, Rushden & Diamonds goalkeeper Billy Turley was let off with a mere warning after being found to have taken the anabolic steroid nandrolone.[15] He was later banned for six months for testing positive for cocaine, which is deemed to be a recreational drug, becoming the only player so far to be banned after a domestic league match.

Middlesbrough's Abel Xavier was banned in November 2005 from football for 18 months by UEFA for taking anabolic steroids after testing positive for dianabol after a UEFA Cup match on 29 September 2005. He is the first player in Premiership history to be banned for using performance-enhancing substances, as opposed to recreational drugs.[16]

Adrian Mutu of Chelsea was banned after he tested positive for cocaine in the 2003-2004 season. He was banned for 7 months and was subsequently sacked by Chelsea.[17]"

God The Mechanic

And http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23088834 which is the one I was thinking of.  Two year ban.

HatterDon

There's been a lot of match fixing -- always at the behest of bettors. It's not going to happen at the Prem or Championship level. a good 4th or 5th tier match or an early FA Cup match is the best bet. Players at that level need the money.

And it doesn't even have to be a difference in the result. The timing of the first goal or a penalty call could do it.

There's been some reports of coercion in Central Europe and Asia -- "If you lose this match you'll get money. If you DON'T, we'll harm your family.

Not something I think can be replicated at top level leagues in Western Europe or North America.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

btings

Quote from: HatterDon on October 13, 2013, 04:02:10 AM
There's been a lot of match fixing -- always at the behest of bettors. It's not going to happen at the Prem or Championship level. a good 4th or 5th tier match or an early FA Cup match is the best bet. Players at that level need the money.

And it doesn't even have to be a difference in the result. The timing of the first goal or a penalty call could do it.

There's been some reports of coercion in Central Europe and Asia -- "If you lose this match you'll get money. If you DON'T, we'll harm your family.

Not something I think can be replicated at top level leagues in Western Europe or North America.

Europol's "Operation Veto" investigation flagged 680 suspect games across the globe from 2008-2011, including some in the Champion's League.

Good intro piece from Brian Phillips: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8924593/match-fixing-soccer

grandad

There are a few match officials who could be on the take. Look at all the penalty appeals that were missed against Stoke.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Andy S

Watch what you say grandad I'm sure the Referees in the UK are squeaky clean

cmg

It would be naive to think that skulldudgery is entirely absent from the beautiful game, but it, along with other fluid-action team games, is one of the more difficult to fix. Cricket, with its many one-on-one confrontations, is easier - especially, as we have seen even at the highest level, when it comes to 'spot' fixing. Snooker must be the easiest game of all to fix - the minutest fraction of a millimetre can effect the outcome of a complete frame and the players have the kind of skill which would enable them to make misplacements of that nature.

The most obviously fixed football match I ever saw was the infamous final Group 2 match of the 1982 World Cup in which a 1-0 win for Germany over Austria would see both teams qualify at the expense of Algeria. Germany scored after 10 minutes and no further attempt to score was made by either side for the rest of the game. Whether this was pre-arranged was never proved. Of course the scheduling of the games that made this (and the 6-0 win by Argentina over Peru in the previous WC) possible was to blame, and has now been changed.

RidgeRider

there are rumors to widespread use of performance enhancing drugs in football. It would be highly unlikely that some players aren't trying to use PED's to enhance their games given the amount of money involved. I'm unaware of what testing programs there are in place.

Also, there was a book out very recently about the rampant match fixing that goes on globally. Name of author and book escapes me

Read this.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24159550

Putney

Match fixing tends to happen in leagues where the football associations won't investigate because they're corrupt as well.