News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

clapping goals scored by the opposition??

Started by Tempest, October 13, 2013, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest

Do you? I mean, a proper worldy being stuck past our keeper, can you appreciate the skill and applaud (after that initial oh fcuk it reaction) the opposing player or a definite silence?

Can't think of individual goals but I have clapped opposing goals just out of pure appreciation. Admittedly I have my limits, Luiz v Us last season was quality, can admit that but never going to clap them.

So is it wrong? Anyone recall any particular goals against us that made you react in appreciation?
Live in Falmouth!

jarv

I believe, and always have, it is important to appreciate good play by the opposition. However, the game has changed tody. It is all about the money, all about the points (40 points). Every team is scared of going down so that transfers to supporters, more likely to be less appreciative. My thoughts are there is more  fp.gif today than  :clap_hands: 

Rhys Lightning 63

I'm on the same boat as you. A goal from a corner, meh, but a 30 yard screamer or a very good volley, you have to applaud that
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Captain Fulhamerica

I remember the screamer that David Luis had against us last season.  We were playing so well and it was such a gut punch, but it was a great goal.  Don't think I clapped, but after the initial shock I definitely appreciated it.

HatterDon

I'll always applaud great play from anyone, but a "30-yard screamer" doesn't get nearly the amount of appreciation from me as does a 5-man quick passing movement that results in a clear and open shot.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Scrumpy

I certainly have in the past, and would like to think that I still would.

It's this sort of thing, like clapping the opposition goalkeeper, that we Fulham fans should really try and keep going to keep us unique. Fewer and fewer other fans do this nowadays.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

LBNo11

...it depends on the player for me, if the dark side of SW6 scored a cracker against us I cannot show appreciation, but usually give credit where credit is due. A few seasons ago Arsenal tore us a new one at home and Thierry Henry gave a football masterclass, you couldn't help applauding such skill...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

David Allen Crankshaw

I wouldn't clap a goal from our opponents but I always clap the opposition's keeper. I'm always disappointed when they don't respond.

Cravenawin

Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on October 13, 2013, 08:59:59 PM
I wouldn't clap a goal from our opponents but I always clap the opposition's keeper. I'm always disappointed when they don't respond.
Can never understand why the Hammersmith end applaud the oppo goalkeeper when he comes out. Doesn't happen anywhere else in world football I'd imagine.

Southcoastffc

Of course.  we see some great football (some of it from Fulham.....) and some great goals, which deserve to be applauded.  While the circumstances meant I didn't have the heart to clap the Cardiff winner a few weeks ago I did say 'wow what a great goal'. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Burt

Appreciate? Yes... Openly applaud? Rarely...

I do remember us being ran ragged by a certain Mr Thierry Henry at the Cottage a few years back, and when he got substituted the applause was universal. A simply awesome display.

Jack Fulham

I remember Henry got an ovation from whole ground when being subbed against us at Loftus Road. Destroyed us.

Burt

May have been Loftus Road Jack... My memory isn't what it used to be  092.gif

Kent Cassandra

Always clap great goals, but the Cardiff winner was such a shock to the system that I couldn't respond, it took me ages to get off my seat.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

mikeyffc28

Definitely.  I would always applaud a good goal or a piece of skill from an individual or team.  That is why i watch football, to be entertained.  Whilst I always want the outcome to be a win for Fulham, if there is good quality entertainment then I will acknowledge it.

PaulJ123

Could never applaud the goal at the time but I do appreciate them

F(f)CUK

I can recall about a handful of occasions where I have applauded a goal by the opposition.  Usually I just silently mutter something under my breath about it being unstoppable.  Unless it is Mr Mutch for Cardiff in which case I just walked off in a huff.

filham

I go through the motions of applause for an opposition goal just to demonstrate good sportsmanship but only with a fraction of the vigour and none of the passion shown for a lucky Fulham goal.

Rupert

I recall, back in the 80's, applauding a Brentford goal at the Cottage, an absolute belter from thirty-odd yards. 2-2 draw, I think, which sounds better than it was as they had a man sent off after five minutes for chinning our goalie. Ah, the not so good old days...  092.gif
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Andy S

I always feel so gutted when we concede a goal that it is the last thing to spontaneously do especially in a hushed Hammy end. However I do sometimes say to my son a minute later what a great goal the was. Especially when six of our players are left on their backsides. I think it is a matter of being disrespectful to our own supporters as well. As for applauding the opposition keeper I used to but that has all but gone now Except for somebody like Shilton Seaman or Van der sar.