more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (15/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 15, 2013, 04:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

International Round-Up

Philippe Senderos and Pajtim Kasami were celebrating as the final whistle blew in Tirana as Switzerland confirmed their place at the World Cup with a 2-1 victory over Albania.

The Whites' Swiss pair were both unused substitutes as goals from Granit Xhaka and Michael Lang gave Ottmar Hitzfeld's side an unassailable five-point lead in Group E to clinch a place in Brazil 2014.

A late Zlatan Ibrahimovic goal kept Alexander Kačaniklić's Sweden in pole position for a Play-Off in Group C. With Germany having already qualified, a victory over Austria was crucial to keep Sweden ahead of their rivals. Kaca started and played an important role in the comeback as the Swedes won 2-1 in Stockholm to go three points clear in second place.

Greece continued their pursuit of group leaders Bosnia-Herzegovnia as Giorgos Karagounis appeared in the 76th minute to close out a 1-0 home triumph over Slovakia after Martin Skrtel's own goal. The Euro 2004 winners are level on points at the summit of Group G but have a vastly inferior goal difference, meaning a Play-Off awaits unless the leaders slip up in the final round of matches.

Elsad Zverotić played 90 minutes at Wembley as Montenegro suffered a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Roy Hodgson's England to end their chances of progression, and a hat-trick from Slovenia's Milivoje Novakovic consigned Brede Hangeland's Norway to a 3-0 loss, leaving the Norweigan's Play-Off hopes hanging by a thread.

Already-qualified Costa Rica were beaten by neighbours Honduras, who secured their spot in Brazil with a 1-0 victory, with Bryan Ruiz playing 61 minutes and Fernando Amorebieta came through 90 minutes as Venezuela's fate was confirmed in a 1-1 draw with Paraguay, with both teams missing out on the South American qualification places.

Neil Etheridge kept goal as the Philippines were stunned in a 2-1 defeat to Chinese Taipei in their Peace Cup opener, and Adel Taarabt made his return to international football as a second-half substitute as Morocco were held to a 1-1 draw on home soil by South Africa in a friendly on Friday.

In Under-21 action, Lasse Vigen Christensen was involved for 90 minutes as Denmark came from two goals behind to draw with Slovenia, and Tromso loanee Josh Pritchard played the full match with Wales beating Lithuania 2-0.

Noe Baba and Muamer Tankovic went head to head as Republic of Ireland Under-19s visited their Sweden counterparts on Saturday, with the defender helping to keep his Fulham colleague off the scoresheet as Ireland secured a 1-0 victory in the UEFA Championship Qualifier. The pair each played 90 minutes, whilst winger Dean O'Halloran came on shortly after the break.

Also at the weekend, Emerson Hyndman was in action as United States Under-18s defeated Poland 2-0.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/12/international-round-up?

WhiteJC

Fulham owner Shahid Khan backs under-fire boss Martin Jol

Fulham owner Shahid Khan has given his backing to under-fire boss Martin Jol saying he will give him time to get things right at Craven Cottage.

Jol's future as Fulham manager has been the subject of conjecture for some time after an indifferent start to the Premier League campaign.

Some fans called for the head of the Dutchman after disappointing results at home to West Brom and Cardiff, but the pressure was eased on Jol following last weekend's win over Stoke.

Khan, who bought control of Fulham from Mohamed al Fayed in the summer, admits he has not been happy with Fulham's start to the campaign, but he has no plans to sack the Dutchman.

Martin is a very experienced coach," Khan told the Daily Mail.

"He's a good guy. We've gotten off to a start nobody's happy with, whether you're a fan or you're Martin.

"We want to do better but I'm not the kind of person who's going to act on impulse.

"You go through life and learn valuable lessons. I want Fulham to be very successful. You can't go out of the frying pan and into the fire. That's the most important thing."

Khan believes it is too early to make predictions about Fulham's prospects this season and is not going to make any knee-jerk decisions.

"Relegation is a horrible thought but you've got to keep in mind it's only seven games. You can't jump to conclusions," added Khan.

"You look at the table from Sunderland at the bottom to the point where the congestion that starts at seven points and it is two games, six points. And there are 31 games to play. You can't feel too good and you can't feel too bad.'

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8971794/?

WhiteJC

Bent won't give up on Three Lions

Darren Bent is looking to use his season-long loan spell with Fulham to help him get into England's World Cup squad if they qualify.

The 29-year-old striker has slipped down the pecking order with Three Lions coach Roy Hodgson after a disappointing season at Aston Villa last term when he fell out of favour with manager Paul Lambert. However Cottagers boss Martin Jol swooped to take Bent to Craven Cottage for this season in the summer and he has already scored three goals in all competitions. And the former Tottenham hitman is looking to continue finding the net for the Cottagers in the hope he can force his way back into Hodgson's plans, particularly if England defeat Poland at Wembley on Tuesday night to book their spot at Brazil 2014. "I hope I can get into the World Cup squad, it's been a while since I was involved. If I score a few goals this season and Fulham do well then I will give myself a chance," he said. "I'm not looking too far ahead but if I have a good season I will give myself the best opportunity to be in the squad. I would like to get the nod but Jermain [Defoe] deserves to be in there because he still scores a lot of goals and Rickie Lambert has done well. "I've said since I was youngster that England players should be picked on form so there is no reason [why] I can't be in one of the squads before the World Cup."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/bent-wont-give-up-on-three-lions-1648503.html?

WhiteJC

Cult Hero

Fulham have had more than their fair share of characters over the years, players that for one reason or another have left their mark on the Cottage faithful. Ian McCulloch reveals our most colourful cult heroes...

Sylvain Legwinski looked like a Greek philosopher, drove a battered old Volkswagen to training every day, was affectionately nicknamed 'Monica', and looked way too cool to be spending his time running round a muddy field chasing after a ball. In truth, he was the complete antithesis of the modern-day superstar; but underneath that casual persona lurked a very fine footballer indeed.

Legwinski arrived at the Cottage in 2001 after Jean Tigana had taken Fulham into the Premier League for the first time in their history. A hard-working, talented, ball-playing midfielder, he would be at the heart of the Fulham team for the next five years, a time he looks back on with great fondness.

He is also quietly pleased with being described as unconventional.

"I'm very happy if the way people remember me is that I was different," laughs the Frenchman. "It's a big compliment. I think I had the same reputation in France. I never had the image of the archetypal footballer. What's good about football and sport is that there is room for everybody.

"I've never been interested in trying to be something I'm not; I was just always myself. It's true that in football, people look at me as someone who's different, but as we say in France, 'vive la difference!'

"I don't like it when people are all the same, when they fit certain stereotypes, when everybody does the same thing all the time. I enjoy it when there is diversity. You need characters in football. Out on the pitch is where people's dreams happen. It is important. Different points of view, different ways of doing things - life is richer like this."

These days, Legwinski is back in France as assistant manager at AS Monaco - the club where he started out in football. Not necessarily something he would have foreseen himself doing, however.

"As a young player I would have told you that I would never stay in football once my playing career was over," he says. "I loved playing but I always saw myself doing something else. But as I got older I became more and more interested in all the different aspects of football - not just coaching, but how a club is run, the strategies and the finances - everything about it. It was at Fulham that I first started to take an interest in what was going on around me, and then, when I finished playing I realised how much I loved the game.

"I'm still new to coaching, so I'm still learning, and there is such a big difference between playing and coaching, but I'm enjoying very much what I'm doing and we'll see how things develop in the future."

When it's suggested that perhaps one day he might come back and manage Fulham, he laughs appreciatively.

"I like that very much," says Legwinski. "To tell you the truth, I would love it. Fulham is a very important place for me. I really enjoyed being there, the atmosphere of the Club and the stadium - Craven Cottage was a wonderful place to play - and the people and the players. And I loved playing in England - that's the style of football that I love, where you go out and try to score more goals than the opposition. When I played in France it was all about trying not to concede a goal first and it got very boring."

When asked what particular memories stand out for him, Legwinski starts with the 3-1 victory over Manchester United at Old Trafford.

"Probably the biggest achievement during my time at Fulham," he says. "And deserved, there was no luck about it. At the end, even the United fans clapped us." And of course there was the great European adventure, the Intertoto win and Fulham's first foray into the UEFA Cup, "Just a great experience."

And then there were the goals. Hitting the equaliser against Newcastle United at Loftus Road for instance, a superb long-range screamer from outside the area that curved beautifully round the despairing goalkeeper and into the net.

"Definitely the best goal I ever scored," he says. "It was beautiful. And important too - we were fighting relegation and had been on a bad run."

And finally, the breathtaking late winner against Tottenham Hotspur after being 2-0 down at half-time.

"I remember the ground exploding after I scored," he says. "I just ran and ran because I was so excited. I didn't get many goals in my career, but that was such an incredible feeling. I would have loved to have scored more - every time I did get a goal I asked myself, why am I not a striker! To experience everyone going mad just because you have scored, it was extraordinary."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/12/cult-hero?

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Marcello Trotta played 70 minutes as Brentford were defeated 2-1 at Stevenage Borough in Sky Bet League One on Saturday.

The Italian striker almost broke the deadlock inside 60 seconds when he rose highest to head Shaleum Logan's cross goalwards, only to see Stevenage keeper Chris Day make a decent save. Trotta then had a key role in the opening goal on 13 minutes when he played a one-two with Jonathan Douglas who burst through before lifting the ball over Day, with Clayton Donaldson making sure it crossed the line.

The lead lasted just two minutes though as Bees stopper David Button was caught in possession by Francois Zoko, resulting in an easy goal for the Ivorian. Trotta then saw another effort saved, before Zoko grabbed his second of the afternoon from close range with 26 minutes played – a goal which proved to be the winner despite Brentford's subsequent attacking onslaught.

In League Two, Cauley Woodrow was rewarded for his midweek brace with a starting berth as Southend United travelled to Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium – the venue of Fulham's Capital One Cup Second Round victory earlier in the season.

Woodrow played the full 90 minutes and went close to opening the scoring in the first half only to be denied by Burton keeper Jordan Pickford. The Brewers then had Billy Kee sent off for a second yellow card before half-time, with Southend making their man advantage count late on when substitute Freddy Eastwood's deflected strike beat Pickford.

Also in League Two, Marcus Bettinelli was in goal as Accrington Stanley went close to an upset at AFC Wimbledon, only for a late goal to ensure it was one point rather than three that they left London with.

Kayode Odejayi got the visitors off the mark in the 17th minute when he headed in from Lee Naylor's corner, but the striker was then sent off before the interval for raising his hands to Callum Kennedy.

Bettinelli was an assured presence in goal and made several impressive saves to frustrate Wimbledon, but he was eventually beaten with four minutes remaining when Alan Bennett headed in. The Dons almost won it in stoppage time but Bettinelli was there to deny them once more to secure a point for his side.

Elsewhere in the division, Ryan Williams came on for the last quarter of an hour as Oxford United continued their fine start to the season with a 2-0 home win over Northampton Town.

Two goals in as many minutes just before half-time did the damage, as James Constable's strike and Danny Rose's penalty put the U's firmly in control of the game.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/14/loan-round-up?

WhiteJC

Breathing space for Jol despite new Fulham owner being unhappy at start to season

FULHAM boss Martin Jol has been granted some breathing space, with new owner Shahid Khan say he's prepared to be patient despite a poor start to the season.

The London outfit's opening seven Barclays Premier League fixtures this term have yielded just two wins and a total of seven points, and talk has been rife of Jol's job being under threat.

Regarding the Dutchman, Pakistan-born American billionaire Khan - who purchased Fulham over the summer - said: "Martin is a very experienced coach.

"He's a good guy. We've gotten off to a start nobody's happy with, whether you're a fan or you're Martin.

"We want to do better but I'm not the kind of person who's going to act on impulse.

"You go through life and learn valuable lessons. I want Fulham to be very successful. You can't go out of the frying pan and into the fire. That's the most important thing.

"Relegation is a horrible thought but you've got to keep in mind it's only seven games. You can't jump to conclusions."

Fulham took three points from their last outing, beating Stoke 1-0 at home, and Khan added: "It turned out great but you have to keep in perspective.

"There are 31 games to play. You can't feel too good and you can't feel too bad."

The next game for Fulham, currently 17th in the table, sees them face second-bottom Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on October 21.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/breathing-space-for-jol-despite-new-fulham-owner-being-unhappy-at-start-to-season-29657868.html

WhiteJC

Diarra - A Unique Deal?

The future of Mahamadou Diarra has been mentioned before on these pages but the latest we have is rather interesting.

It would appear that the thirty-two year old Mali international, a player who has had a terrible run of luck with injuries that have seen him sidelined forf iteen months, might be on the verge of signing a unique deal.

Although, officially, he was released last summer, it now transpires that the player could be offered a pay-as-you-play deal with Martin Jol quoted as having remarked about the situation,

"There are different scenarios open to us. He is influential to us on and off the pitch."

If that is the case then pay-as-you-play seems an ideal compromise for both sides.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=335426#ixzz2hlBic3H7

WhiteJC

Staying Positive

The international break, normally seen by so many as an unwanted interruption into our Premier League campaign, might be seen as an added bonus by many.

Having gotten off to a poor start and already having flirted with the relegation places, at the foot of the Premier League table, the international break gives us an opportunity to reflect and, hopefully, put in a few corrective actions to ensure that the only way forward from this point on is in an upward movement.

David Stockdale, twenty-eight, who many feel should be away on international duty with the England squad, has spoken about the mood in the Fulham camp and, despite our lowly position, they are positive thoughts with the keeper remarking to the press,

"I`m confident we will make the top ten"

"You can`t tell Martin has been under pressure."

"He has been telling us not to panic and we will turn it around - he will be proved right."

I sincerely hope so, the win in our last Premier League game before the international break certainly brightened the mood now let`s, once we resume, kick on and head for that 10th spot!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=335427#ixzz2hlBtsJ3A

WhiteJC

Nigeria to play Italy in a friendly hosted by Fulham

Nigeria will play Italy in a friendly at Fulham's Craven Cottage stadium in London on 18 November.

The match against four-time World Champions Italy will take place only two days after Nigeria's World Cup play-off second leg against Ethiopia.

Nigeria won the first leg 2-1 on Sunday and are now fancied to complete the job at home in Calabar on 16 November.

The Super Eagles hope the match against Italy will be preparation for next year's tournament in Brazil.

The match, which will kick-off at 1945 BST, will be Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi's first friendly game against European opposition since he took charge of the the side in November 2011.

Jairo Pachon of Eurodata, Nigeria Football Federation (NFF)'s official match agent, told BBC Sport: "The aim is to play one of the top five or 10 teams in the world before the end of the year.

"I'm glad we could secure an important friendly and big opponent for Nigeria. Italy are number four in the world and that says a lot.

"It's also an important opportunity for the Nigerian community in the UK to see the African champions in action."

Meanwhile, the NFF also confirmed another friendly for their locally-based team who have qualified for the 2014 CHAN tournament in South Africa.

"We are also happy to confirm a match for our Super Eagles locally-based team against Jordan in Omman on the 28 October," NFF spokesman Ademola Olajire told BBC Sport.

"This match that will serve Jordan to prepare for their World Cup play off match against Uruguay will also help Nigeria to prepare for next year's African Nations Championship."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24524307?

WhiteJC

Fulham, Norwich and West Ham to battle FOUR German clubs to sign Jiloan Hamad
FULHAM, Norwich and West Ham target Jiloan Hamad is wanted by four German clubs as the battle to secure his signature intensifies.

Hamad's agent has previously stated his client's intention was to move to the Premier League [GETTY]
The midfielder is attracting huge interest across Europe with a number of superb performances which has put his current club, Malmo, on the cusp of winning the Allsvenskan title and securing a place in next season's Champions League.

Hamad's agent, Ferhat Cifci, earlier this month confirmed interest from the Premier League for his client, but according to reports in Sweden four Bundesliga clubs have now entered the race.

Borussia Monchengladbach, Freiburg, Hannover and Hoffenheim are all interested in bringing the Swedish international, who becomes a free agent in January, to Germany.

The 22-year-old is a target for a number of European clubs [GETTY]

Hamad has been an impressive performer for Malmo helping to take them to cusp of the league title [GETTY]

Cifci previously stated Hamad's intention was to secure a move to the Premier League, however a potential move to the German top flight may scupper the chances of Fulham, Norwich and West Ham to secure a deal.

The 22-year-old's representatives held talks with the Hammers over a move to Upton Park in the summer, but no agreement was reached over a transfer.

Hamad has scored 28 goals in 149 appearances for Malmo since joining the club from BK Forward in 2007.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/345085/Fulham-Norwich-and-West-Ham-to-battle-FOUR-German-clubs-to-sign-Jiloan-Hamad

ron

he looks like a cross between Alan Cumming and Steeeeeed...?