Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (16/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 16, 2013, 08:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Bent: Me and Berbatov can be lethal partnership

On-loan Aston Villa striker confident he can play alongside Fulham talisman

Fulham striker Darren Bent

Fulham frontman Darren Bent insists his strike partnership with Dimitar Berbatov can work.

The pair have so far failed to forge a relationship in attack, with injuries hampering their progress.

Boss Martin Jol admitted he is struggling to find space for the duo in the same starting XI.

But Bent, who has scored three goals since his switch to Craven Cottage, says it's only a matter of time before the duo strike up an understanding.

He told Fulham's Google+ Hangout: "The manager wants to work on the partnership with me and Berba. We haven't really had a chance yet because of injuries.

"On the training pitch we are working on things and trying to get it going.

"Berba can play with anyone because he's that good a player.

"But partnerships take time. Hopefully we will be firing on all cylinders soon."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bent-berbatov-can-lethal-partnership-6173726?

WhiteJC

MFG's Primary Project

In September, participants from Fulham Football Club Foundation's My Future Goal programme worked with a local primary school to plan a special event for their pupils.

The process of arranging a new and innovative event allowed the young people involved to develop skills in coaching, event planning and organisation in a professional, real-life setting. The young people, aged 16–25, had never done anything like this before and organised and delivered a multi skills event for pupils from Avonmore Primary School in Hammersmith & Fulham, supported by qualified Foundation staff as part of the 10-week project they were enrolled in.

The My Future Goal project is a sport and employability programme, run by Fulham FC Foundation and funded by Barclays Spaces for Sport, targeting young people who are not in education, employment or training. It aims to increase employment opportunities by helping them learn life skills such as communication and team work, as well as giving them work related training. The young people organised the event from start to finish involving all aspects of the day, from preparing session plans for each group and activity, to handing out prizes to all the pupils at the end.

Avonmore Primary, a partner school of Fulham FC Foundation, had the opportunity for 60 pupils to be involved in the event delivered at Bishops Park and Katie Jewers and Touria Chaouki, Year Four and Five teachers from the school, commented: "A big thank you to Fulham Football Club Foundation! Everyone had a great day, and this is down to the enthusiastic and friendly coaches. We look forward to hopefully working with you again in the future."

Steven Day, Fulham FC Foundation CEO, commented: "The event was very beneficial for the participants; it enabled them to learn new skills in a real life environment where good organisation and safety were of the highest importance. This is the first time we have involved a local primary school in the project and it has been very successful. We hope to run similar events in the future offering opportunities to participants from our programmes with support from local community partners."

The next cohort for the 'My Future Goal' programme will start in January; applicants who are interested in enrolling on the programme will need to attend an open day.

For more information on these please contact Fulham FC Foundation on 0870 442 5432.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/15/mfgs-primary-project?

WhiteJC

Dropping Dimitar Berbatov could benefit Fulham in the long run this season

Martin Jol has relied on Dimitar Berbatov to make a difference at Fulham, but could dropping the  forward be the answer to all his problems? (Picture: AP).

Darren Bent thinks he can strike up a lethal partnership with Dimitar Berbatov.

Having seen the way the pair have started the season together, few Fulham supporters will be as optimistic.

'Hopefully we'll be firing on all cylinders soon,' the former England international stated in an unnervingly upbeat question and answer session on the club's website.

Many feel that 'hopefully' was the operative word there.

Bent and Berbatov, from what we've seen of them so far, simply don't mix.

Berbatov has been lacklustre throughout this campaign and Bent has only truly shone when on his own.

It's difficult to be precise as to why they don't blend. From a distance, they would appear a match made in heaven.

Darren Bent has struggled to make an impact at Fulham this season (Picture: AFP/Getty Images)

The Bulgarian likes to pull deep and retrieve the ball and his creativity knows no bounds. Bent, meanwhile, sits on the line and relies on his pace to make his mark. Berbatov, as such, is to Bent what Bobby Zamora was to Andy Johnson. Just a little more refined.

But therein lies the problem. Berbatov isn't really like Zamora. The former Manchester United man doesn't have the work rate, the determination or the strength of our former terrace favourite.

Yes, Berby can pick out a pass and take on a defender, but his hold up play is poor and his contribution to the game is, generally, non-existent.

That leaves Bent secluded when, without his former Tottenham Hotspur partner alongside him, he would be able to rely on the likes of Bryan Ruiz and Pajtim Kasami to provide the link to midfield and the smattering of well placed through balls.

It leaves a rather troublesome argument for Jol to ponder; should Berbatov be dropped?

The obvious answer is no. He made our season last year and has the potential to do so again.

But, if you look a little deeper, removing Fulham's most audacious ever signing from the first 11 could well provide its benefits.

By no means should it be terminal.

Berbatov should still have his part and should still start the majority of games, but Jol's natural reluctance to remove him from the picture should be questioned.

If he's having a somewhat regular off-day, substitute him. If the tempo has slowed down and the striker's influence is waning, pull him off.

It worked against Stoke City, if only through injury.

And it could work again in the future. Maybe such a bold decision could make our season.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/15/dropping-dimitar-berbatov-could-benefit-fulham-in-the-long-run-this-season-4146754/?

WhiteJC

Fulham defeat would see heads drop at Palace

EAGLES columnist WILL TAYLOR believes only victory in Monday's televised relegation six-pointer with Fulham will suffice or the doom and gloom at Selhurst Park will only deepen.

IN recent years I have approached every international break with a growing sense of disdain.

The mundane certainty of England's qualification is almost as inevitable as the inescapable failure that embraces us at the start of each new tournament.

This time, however, I welcomed the respite from club competition.

Aside from Dwight Gayle's consolatory strike at Anfield, four demoralising defeats in quick succession has seen little cheer emanate from SE25 in recent weeks.

In fact, it was rather refreshing to discuss the frustrating nature of an ailing team with a nation rather than simply a portion of south London.

There are several similarities that come with supporting Crystal Palace and the England national side.

The same unbridled passion exists at the core, but it has had to make room for soaring ticket prices and numerous managerial changes. There is also that familiar nagging feeling of underachievement and dogged insistence upon choosing the hardest route towards success.

We are both seeking out the next hot prospect that will reignite fire into the relentless chants of supporters, even if it disguises the fact that the probability of silverware grows ever bleaker.

But whereas England have all but overcome their make-or-break fixtures, the Eagles are just about to embark on arguably their season-defining moment.

Next week the club will host Fulham for their debut on Sky's Monday Night Football in a game which will see Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher analyse our every defensive lapse and misplaced pass.

It's safe to say they won't be short of material.

At Liverpool, the back four resembled adolescent school boys camped deep out in the wilderness.

Adrian Mariappa was the only player who seemed accustomed to his new surroundings, while Dean Moxey was tied in every Boy Scout knot imaginable before foolishly attempting to 'engage' with cool kid Raheem Sterling.

But despite allowing wave upon wave of the Red Sea to crash against our fragile rearguard, there were a few glimmers of hope further up the pitch.

Jose Campana emerged from the bench to once again stake a claim for a regular starting role, Jimmy Kebe continued to look positive if somewhat apprehensive in front of goal and the return of Yannick Bolasie provided that missing ingredient of flair.

Our crisis in confidence is still painfully evident, rearing its ugly head every time we venture into the final third of the pitch, but at least it's something we will share with our opponents this time out.

Dimitar Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz currently flicker between uninterested and unimaginative, while former talisman Moussa Dembele and Clint Dempsey have been replaced with a collection of unflattering misfits.

However, gift Fulham an ounce of creative freedom and Selhurst Park will represent the perfect stage to revive their miserable fortunes.

The media circus has been parked outside Craven Cottage for a while now, eagerly waiting to cart Martin Jol away along with that statue of Michael Jackson.

But if Ian Holloway fails to capitalise on an ageing team hanging precariously on the ropes, then it's likely the tabloid vultures will swiftly turn their attentions and instead begin feasting on the despair and dejection at our club.

Several members of the squad have expressed their belief we are close to turning it around.

But anything less than three points against Fulham would invite a sense of doom and gloom, especially with Arsenal, West Brom and Everton on the horizon.

I worry that once heads finally drop, the rest of the club will quickly follow.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/10739377._/?

WhiteJC

December Fixtures

Tickets for our three home games in December go on sale from 10am on Wednesday 16th October.

The Whites face Tottenham Hotspur under the floodlights on Wednesday the 4th (8pm), Aston Villa travel to the Cottage on Sunday the 8th (1.30pm) and last season's Barclays Premier League runners up Manchester City are our guests on Saturday the 21st (3pm).

Season Ticket Holders and Members will be able to purchase up to four tickets for each of these fixtures from 10am on Wednesday.

If you want access to the best tickets, sign up for Membership today from just £5 for juniors and £20 for adults. Find out more at fulhamfc.com/membership.

Season Ticket Holder Special Offer

A limited number of half price Aston Villa tickets in the Hammersmith and Putney Ends (£20 adults and £10 juniors) are available for Season Ticket Holders to buy for friends and family. Find out more here.

More Ticket Information

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/15/december-fixtures?

WhiteJC

No Big Changes Yet Under New Owner Shahid Khan Explains Fulham Goalkeeper Neil Etheridge

Fulham goalkeeper Neil Etheridge has revealed that the players are yet to really notice changes from the switch in ownership over the summer.

American billionaire businessman Shahid Khan bought the Cottagers from Mohamed Al Fayed in July, with the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars NFL team having big ambitions for Fulham.

But while Etheridge knows that is indeed the case, he cannot report any significant day-to-day changes at Craven Cottage just yet, with Khan, for the goalkeeper, yet to stamp his authority on the club.

Speaking exclusively to Inside Futbol, Etheridge said: "The chairman, at the moment, hasn't made much difference but that's because he's just joined the club this summer.

"We're not even six months into the season yet. At the moment he's yet to stamp his authority down but I know he has high expectations and I know, as like all chairmen, he wants the best for his team.

"I believe fully there will be some changes. I know they want to extend the stadium and improve the training ground. But it's still early stages."

One change that was quickly made at Craven Cottage however was the removal of a statue of the late Michael Jackson from outside the ground, a tribute installed by former owner Al Fayed.

"I think I've only seen it two or three times to be honest and it was something the old chairman felt strongly about and obviously it was very close to him to put it into the stadium", Etheridge said when asked about its removal.

"For the players, it didn't make a difference, really, on what happens on the training field or what happens in matchdays so it wasn't exactly a big deal if it was there or not."

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/10/16/no-big-changes-yet-under-new-owner-shahid-khan-explains-fulham-goalkeeper-neil-etheridge/104300/#iRmyS8o3RMZ94LKP.99

WhiteJC

Attention Turns To Fulham As The Internationals Conclude In Style

Morning all.

Rejoice, the international break is finally over! Following last night's group games, we know the identity of the majority of nations who will compete at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, with England having thankfully booked their place in genuinely impressive fashion.

The conclusion of the international fortnight, saw four of our players involved in games for their country, with Barry Bannan's Scotland facing Croatia at Hampden Park, Damien Delaney and Ireland hosting Kazhakstan, Mile Jedinak and the Soceroos meeting Canada in a friendly and Adrian Mariappa squaring off against Hondurus in Jamaica.

The Scots produced arguably the most impressive result of the night, coming out as 2-0 winners over Croatia, not that Bannan will have been overly happy with his individual performance. Deployed on the right wing by Gordon Strachan, Bannan spent the majority of the game being forced to cut back onto his left foot whenever looking to get a ball across, an aspect of the game that will have led to feelings of frustration on his part. To further intensify any feelings of annoyance for Bannan, he would go on to miss a penalty in the 73rd minute, before Naismith reached the rebound first to tuck home Scotland's second goal of the evening.

The Jamaicans earned a creditable draw, having fallen behind twice against Honduras. With Mariappa at the heart of their defence for the full 90 minutes, they did their level best to stifle a Honduras side who still have now booked their place in Rio next summer, and were rewarded with a point. Unfortunately, they have ended the campaign rock bottom of the group but will certainly take some heart dork last night's result.

Elsewhere, Damien Delaney remained an unused substitute, as Ireland defeated Kazhakstan 3-1, whilst Mile Jedinak played the vast majority of Australia's 3-0 victory over Canada at Craven Cottage, as the Aussies bounced back from a pair of hefty losses against Brazil and France respectively to secure a real morale boost following the sacking of their manager on Friday night.

With the internationals now over, we will see the return of league football this weekend, as the team look to recover from a string of four consecutive defeats with a win at home to Fulham. Whilst it may seem on paper as though Holloway's sprawling squad stand very little chance of survival, the relative strength of our last four opponents must be taken into account when assessing our chances.

Away fixtures at Manchester United, Southampton and Liverpool plus a home game against an extremely talented Swansea side didn't provide us with a great deal of optimism in the search for points, whereas the arrival of a far from harmonious Fulham to Selhurst Park, under the guidance of under-fire Martin Jol, provides a far more realistic opportunity to bank a vital three points.

With the game taking place in front of the TV cameras, you can be sure that both players and fans will be ready for the challenge, as we look to build upon the promise we displayed as a group in the second half at Anfield some eleven days ago. Admittedly, every side in the Premier League posses a raft of players that can hurt you in a split second, with Fulham being no exception. The likes of Berbatov and a Bent in particular, will be causing no end of headaches in our tactical approach to the tie, but having been forced to cope with the likes of Rooney, Lambert, Sturridge and Suarez in the last few weeks, you could forgive our defence for not worrying unduly about the problems the aforementioned pair may give them.

No one would suggest that our task is a straightforward one, regardless of opposition we face from week to week in the Premier League, but the simple fact that the international break is over and done with is enough to keep me going for now. It's been like pulling teeth.

Until tomorrow.

http://hltco.org/2013/10/15/attention-turns-to-fulham-as-the-internationals-conclude-in-style/?

RaySmith

Not sure I agree with your comparison of Berba to Zamora.

Obviously different types of player, but I think Berba does hold the play up well and keep possession, though many say he slows it down too much, and does show hard work, strength and determination in his play, and contributes at least a much as Zamora to the team effort , more i would say-

although not goals so far this season, but he has been unlucky, but remember how Zamora was ridiculed for not scoring in his first couple of seasons  here- his attitude and work rate were also questioned at certain times.

I do think Bent and Berba will play successfully together for Fulham - though it won't be like Johnson and Zamora.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: RaySmith on October 16, 2013, 09:35:19 AM
Not sure I agree with your comparison of Berba to Zamora.

Obviously different types of player, but I think Berba does hold the play up well and keep possession, though many say he slows it down too much, and does show hard work, strength and determination in his play, and contributes at least a much as Zamora to the team effort , more i would say-

although not goals so far this season, but he has been unlucky, but remember how Zamora was ridiculed for not scoring in his first couple of seasons  here- his attitude and work rate were also questioned at certain times.

I do think Bent and Berba will play successfully together for Fulham - though it won't be like Johnson and Zamora.
I think you're right though I would note that Berba's work rate has dropped significantly this year. One thing Zamora has on Berba is he will pass the ball quicker, quick lay offs etc. That's it though. Zamora's the inferior finisher, less creative, lower work rate (going by Berba last season), gets forward even less, rarely shoots, can't dribble. Clearly Berba's the far superior player. The problem is with Jol, he's not been able to find the right system to get the best out of Berba, whereas Roy managed to do so with Zamora.

WhiteJC

More International Action

Craven Cottage is set to host yet another international friendly match, with Italy taking on Nigeria in November.

The game will kick-off at 7.45pm on Monday 18th November, with prices starting at £20 for adults and £10 for under-16s and over-65s.

The game follows the recent Australia versus Canada clash and will be Nigeria's third trip to the Cottage having lost to the Socceroos back in November 2007 and drawn 1-1 with the Republic of Ireland back in May 2009. For Italy, it represents a first appearance in SW6 for the national side.

Nigeria will go into the game knowing whether or not their place at next year's FIFA World Cup is secured, as it comes shortly after their Second Leg Play-Off clash with Ethiopia. The Super Eagles narrowly defeated their African rivals 2-1 in the First Leg, and will be confident of seeing the job through on home soil.

Italy, meanwhile, qualified at a canter as they finished the campaign unbeaten, topping their group by six points, with half a dozen wins and four draws guaranteeing their spot in Brazil.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/16/more-international-action?

WhiteJC

Coleman still uncertain on future as Wales boss

The former Fulham boss has confessed that in spite of a draw in Brussels on Tuesday, he is still considering whether he is the right man for the national team job

Wales boss Chris Coleman admits that his future remains uncertain despite a 1-1 draw in Belgium in their final World Cup qualifier.

The former Fulham manager watched his side snatch a last-gasp draw in Brussels as Aaron Ramsey's goal two minutes from time cancelled out Kevin De Bruyne's 64th-minute strike.

The result gave Wales some solace from a campaign that saw their hopes of reaching the finals in Brazil next year extinguished some time previously and, with a new deal with the Welsh FA still to be agreed, Coleman is considering whether or not he is the right man for the job.

When questioned by reporters about his future after the game, he replied: "I said before the game that my contract finished at the end of November and I'm always looking long-term and the bigger picture but I won't change what I've said.

"I'm going to be there for the Finland game [a friendly in November] and then after that I'll look at everything and I will decide if I am the man going forward or not.

"Maybe someone else will decide that before I do but we'll enjoy [this result] and these last 10 days."

Coleman was also quick to stress that his tenure should not be decided on the back of the last two games, where they have picked up four points from a possible six.

"I want people to be realistic, to look at the whole campaign and the problems we face," he added to Sky Sports. "I don't want to be involved in something that's fickle and short-term, I want to be involved in something that's long-term.

"If I was going to say goodbye to it, I would have to make 100 per cent sure that it was the right decision for me. I want Wales to succeed and, if I don't think I can do that, then I will be more than happy to step aside."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/468/internationals/2013/10/16/4337180/-?

WhiteJC

United Sold Out

Tickets for Fulham versus Manchester United on Saturday 2nd November (3pm) have now sold out.

You can make sure you have priority access to tickets for all the big matches at Craven Cottage by becoming a Fulham Member, from £20 adults and just £5 for juniors.

Find out more and buy online at fulhamfc.com/membership.

A limited number of hospitality packages are still available for this match. Find out more by calling 0208 336 7555 from 9am-5.30pm Mon-Fri, or email [email protected].

Season Ticket Holders and Members still wishing to buy tickets to the game can do so from our Official Ticket Marketplace partner, viagogo. Visit viagogo.co.uk/fulhamfc to find out more.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/16/united-sold-out?