more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (17/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 17, 2013, 08:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Inside Selhurst Park

Ahead of Monday evening's London derby at Selhurst Park, we caught up with Crystal Palace season-ticket holder Lauren Hurley to get an insight into her team.

It's not been the smoothest of starts for Palace this season – what have you made of the campaign to date?

It has been disappointing. Saying that, I didn't expect us to start particularly well – I don't think anyone did! The most frustrating thing is how weak we are defensively as a lot of the goals we're shipping have come from silly defensive errors. We also look toothless in attack at times and we're pinning our hopes on our star striker – Glenn Murray – coming back from injury in January. As downbeat as the above sounds, there are positives. We might have lost six out of seven games, but we've played some decent football and been unlucky at times. I'm making the most of the new away days and will enjoy the season whatever happens.

A lot of new players have been brought in and that always creates a transition period doesn't it?

It does, and unfortunately we don't have the luxury of time for the new signings to gel. We need to start picking up points otherwise we'll be cut adrift. Our fantastic team spirit has arguably been diluted by the sheer volume of new faces at the club. I understand we need cover – it's a long old season and we're already facing injuries and suspensions – it just seems we've gone for quantity over quality. I hope I'm being overly pessimistic, though, and that we'll see a more settled side soon.

Which of the new signings have stood out for you?

Jose Campana. Signed from Sevilla, he's captain of Spain's Under-20 side. Ian Holloway is introducing him gradually but he has shown real class during his cameos. He's a great passer of the ball and looks very calm and assured in a team prone to moments of madness. The jury is still out on the rest. Marouane Chamakh, our most high-profile signing, works hard and clearly has ability but looks low on confidence. Hopefully he'll nick a goal soon and that will be the catalyst for him to start banging them in.

Talking about the squad in general now, which players should Fulham be wary of?

Mile Jedinak – he's a beast. His ability to rough the opposition up and break up play is excellent; he's such an important player for us. Joel Ward is another one who has made the step up to the Premier League beautifully. We were all gutted when Nathaniel Clyne left for Southampton but we've got a more than capable replacement in Joel. I like to think Dwight Gayle, our record signing, will be full of confidence having scored at Anfield and will be raring to go against Fulham.

Of course, there's a former Fulham player in your ranks – how has Kagisho Dikgacoi fared in his time at the club?

I would describe his Palace career as solid yet unspectacular. Last season he was struggling with fitness but, in fairness, he has made a respectable start to life in the Premier League. He was unlucky to be sent off at Old Trafford earlier in the season and we missed his presence during his suspension. He has formed a good midfield partnership with Jedinak and can expect to start most games.

What is a realistic target for Palace this season – presumably you'd take 17th if it was offered to you now?

I would bite your hand off! Staying up would be fantastic but is it realistic? Probably not. I accept that relegation is a very real prospect; I just hope it's with a fight. All I ask for this season is that we give it a bloody good go.

Have you seen much of Fulham this season and what do you make of Martin Jol's side?

So far this season I've not seen much of Fulham, although I'm aware that their home form, until the recent win over Stoke City, hasn't been great. I was expecting more from Dimitar Berbatov given his reputation, although it hasn't been too much of an issue as Darren Bent is now starting to find his feet. What a shame he didn't end up at Palace instead! Other than that I'm looking forward to seeing what they offer on Monday – obviously I hope it won't be enough to take anything away from Selhurst!

Looking at the table, you're presumably targeting the Fulham fixture as a must-win match?

Absolutely. I view this game as part of a mini-league in the bottom half of the table – we need to pick up points against our fellow strugglers. We showed we can do it against Sunderland and I hope we see a repeat of that. A draw would be okay, but a defeat is unthinkable.

Which Fulham player do you expect to cause Palace the most problems?

Bent. We were so close to signing him that he's certain to pop up with a goal.

What's the best and worst thing about a trip to Selhurst Park?

It's a cliché often wheeled out to describe the older grounds, but Selhurst really is a proper football stadium and you're guaranteed a great atmosphere. That has to be the best thing about it. So far I have been distinctly unimpressed with home atmospheres in the Premier League but you won't find any soulless prawn sandwich brigades here. Another plus is the ground is easy to get to/from (contrary to popular belief!) as there are three overground stations within walking distance. The worst thing is the facilities in the ground, however Fulham fans should find it has improved since their last visit. For example, the owners have vastly improved the catering.

Where can away fans go for a pint before the game?

Avoid The Cherries as it's strictly home fans only. The Victory Club is predominantly a home fans' pub but it's generally friendlier and away supporters are welcome. It's a short walk from both Norwood Junction and the stadium. Get there early – the cheap prices ensure it's always rammed.

What's one chant we're bound to hear at the match?

To the Heartbeat theme tune: "Yannick... Yannick Bolasie runs down the wing for me!" Bolasie is just returning from injury and we're crying out for his creativity. If he's on the bench, we'll soon make it clear to Ollie that we want him out on the pitch!

What's your score prediction for the match?

It's vital we get something from this game. I can't see us keeping a clean sheet but I do feel optimistic, so I'll plump for a tight 2-1 win for the Palace.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/16/inside-selhurst-park?

WhiteJC

Cottagers plot move for United misfit

Fulham are the latest club to be credited with an interest in out-of-favour Manchester United winger Wilfried Zaha.

Zaha has slipped down the pecking order at Old Trafford following the emergence of Adnan Januzaj and is seemingly set for a January exit. Fulham have now been credited with an interest in the 20-year-old and have been tipped to make a loan move for Zaha in the January transfer window. However, the Cottagers will face plenty of competition for the former Crystal Palace schemer as Premier League rivals Newcastle and West Ham are also keen. Palace are also expected to make a move for their former star, while Championship outfit Bolton, managed by Zaha's former Eagles boss Dougie Freedman, have been linked and could make a move now as the loan window is open for clubs outside of the top flight.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/cottagers-plot-move-for-united-misfit-1649348.html?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol on last legs as Fulham head to Crystal Palace
A loss at Selhurst Park could spell the end for the Dutch manager

Despite Fulham's 1-0 win over Stoke in their last Premier League match, Martin Jol has only been usurped as favourite to be the next manager to leave by the bizarre goings on at Cardiff.

With Malky Mackay apparently now leaning towards staying at the Bluebirds, Jol's price of 7/2 looks generous ahead of a trip to Crystal Palace.

A loss at Selhurst Park would surely lead to Jol's exit, as it would leave the Cottagers with just seven points from eight games.

Although Palace have lost six out of seven league games this season, they have shown encouraging signs in their fight for survival when in front of their own fans.

A 3-1 win over Sunderland followed a narrow 1-0 loss to Tottenham Hotspur, with Swansea the other side to collect three points.

Last year the Eagles had the third best home record in the Championship and Ian Holloway will be targeting matches against the likes of Fulham as central to their relegation battle.

Palace won 2-0 the last time the two sides squared off at Selhurst Park and the Eagles are 7/4 to beat Fulham this time around.

Fulham have lost to Newcastle and Chelsea already on the road this campaign and won just four away games last season.

They also struggled against newly-promoted teams, winning just one of six games against Reading, West Ham and Southampton.

There were 11 goals after the 75th minute in those six matches, and in each of Fulham's last six league games this season, a pattern that can be backed at 21/20 to continue.

Late goals have been a feature of Palace's recent games as well, with four after the 76th minute in their last five league matches.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/martin-jol-on-last-legs-as-fulham-head-to-crystal-palace_174989.html

WhiteJC

Holloway glad of extra preparation time for Fulham

IAN HOLLOWAY says he is glad the Fulham match is on Monday this week as it gives him more time to work with his players.

The match at Selhurst Park has been moved to Monday night as it is being televised by Sky, with the game coming off the back of an international break that has seen seven Palace players abroad with their countries.

But the Eagles boss believes that could be a good thing for Palace, as it gives him and his side a couple of days of extra preparation to ready themselves for the visit of Martin Jol's side.

"I am glad it is on Monday," he said.

"It gives us an extra couple of days to work with the players, who won't all be back until Friday.

"We will practice on Saturday and Sunday and it gives us a chance to work on a few things."

Meanwhile, the Eagles boss says the game represents a chance for his side to get a much-needed three points to help them claw their way back towards a cluster of teams just outside the relegation zone.

He said: "We know we need to get a win and there is nothing wrong at Palace that a good three points will put right.

"We have to face up that what we have been doing is not good enough, although a lot of it has not been far off.

"I thought we played really well at Liverpool and showed all sorts of character, but we need points on the board."

Read more: http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Holloway-glad-extra-preparation-time-Fulham/story-19941077-detail/story.html#ixzz2hxqOzzJK
Follow us: @thisiscroydon on Twitter | thisiscroydontoday on Facebook

WhiteJC

England fans should thank Al-Fayed for Three Lions feel-good factor
The Egyptian billionaire took a chance on Roy Hodgson when no other English club would and ought to be applauded for showing such foresight.

Roy Hodgson had just missed out on Euro 2008 qualification with Finland when Mohamed Al-Fayed made him Fulham boss in 2007, yet it was still considered a somewhat left-field appointment at the time.

Now, with Three Lions fans in a feel-good frenzy after England booked their place at the 2014 World Cup a reappraisal of the former Harrods owner seems overdue.

Ungrateful Cottagers that sent back their former chairman's final gift of a colourful Michael Jackson statue should think twice before banishing the Egyptian's memory from their club.

Martin Jol's side are hovering above the Premier League drop-zone under new owner Shahid Khan and need to justify slight 8/5 favouritism at fellow strugglers Crystal Palace to get their season on track.

Despite two successful tournament qualifying campaigns with Switzerland, Hodgson's England claims were ignored in 2007.

The current national team boss has already managed a country at a World Cup having taken the Swiss team to USA '94 and qualified for the last 16 – where they were eliminated by Spain – after a win, a draw and a loss in the group stage.

Hodgson missed out on a trip to his mother country despite qualifying with Switzerland for Euro '96 as he accepted the top job at Inter Milan after the Rossocrociati booked their place in England.

The Three Lions' loss was Fulham's gain as the Croydon native guided the west Londoners to their highest ever Premier League finish.

After steering a Fulham side that were in the Premier League relegation zone when he took over in December 2007 to safety, Hodgson began the process of rebuilding their squad, bringing in key players such as keeper MarK Schwarzer, midfielder Zoltan Gera and striker Bobby Zamora.

At one stage in the 2008/09 season Fulham went on a ten-game unbeaten run in the Premier League and climbed into their highest ever finishing position of seventh, qualifying for Europe in the process.

Hodgson led the Cottagers to the final of the Europa League, emulating his achievement at Inter Milan 12 years earlier.

The England gaffer surprised many when he took lowly Fulham to within a kick of Europa League glory in 2010 when they were beaten in the final by Atletico Madrid in extra time, but eagle-eyed Al-Fayed would have been aware of his acolyte's prowess in the competition before hiring him.

In 1997 Hodgson led a team containing Javier Zanetti, Youri Djorkaeff and Paul Ince to what was then known as the UEFA Cup final and also missed out after a narrow defeat on penalties against Schalke.

Fulham to beat Crystal Palace @ 8/5

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/internationals/world-cup-2014/england-fans-al-fayed-lions-feel-good-factor,46670.html?#sthash.UOQjLim2.dpuf

WhiteJC

Kranjcar will produce where Taarabt failed, says QPR legend Marsh

QPR legend Rodney Marsh believes Harry Redknapp has a better player in Niko Kranjcar than Adel Taarabt.

Redknapp signed Croatia international Kranjcar on loan from Dynamo Kiev in the final hours of transfer deadline day, in light of Taarabt's move to Fulham on a season-long loan.

The manager has since indicated his desire to see the Moroccan remain at Craven Cottage on a permanent deal.

Kranjcar, meanwhile, has made an impressive start to his QPR career, and former Rs No10 Marsh believes he has all the attributes missing from Taarabt's game.

"I think Taarabt is one of those fantastically skilled players that will end up in his career scoring about 20 goals total," said Marsh.

"It has always been the same in football. It is not enough to be talented. You have to apply yourself to your career and you have to apply yourself to playing football matches and you have to produce.

"Some players will produce a hell of a lot more than others. Some will average 20 goals a season throughout their careers.

"One year in the Championship he was fantastic and rightly got all the credit but the bottom line is you have to do that over a 10 or 15-year career and I just don't see him doing that. I do like him though. He is similar to me without the production.

"Whereas Kranjcar is a much more productive player in general terms. I think he is a top quality player."

Marsh is surprised that no Premier League side came in for Kranjcar, who recently admitted he was desperate to return to England after an unhappy season in Ukraine.

"When he was at Spurs he scored some fantastic goals and I don't think he got a fair shake there," added Marsh.

"I don't know if that's because of managers coming and going but now he is with a team that likes him."

Marsh believes that his old side have the quality to achieve promotion this season, but must avoid a repetition of the mistakes that hampered their two previous seasons in the Premier League.

He added: "The squad of players that QPR have got at the moment is certainly good enough to get automatic promotion back into the Premier League but I don't look at it as one year at a time.

"I've said this for years and years and years, I look at it in a three, five and seven-year plan.

"If I was the owners of QPR I wouldn't be looking at this season. I'd be looking at next season and the season beyond that.

"The definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same thing and doing the same thing, and expecting a different outcome.

"I fully expect QPR – should they go up – to make the changes that they failed to do under Mark Hughes.

"I think when you re-evaluate your squad you have to bring in the type of player that isn't just coming for money alone.

"I like players like Clint Hill – they are my type of players. Now you have to have the flair players – people who can create and score goals as well but they have to be joining for the right reasons.

"Under Mark Hughes there were 13 or 14 players and most of them only just came for the money.

"In my earlier days I would have looked at Mark Hughes or whoever the manager was but as you get long in the tooth you realise that ultimately the buck stops with the owner and chairman.

"If they screw up and they don't make the necessary decisions then you end up with what happened at QPR."

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/qpr/kranjcar_will_produce_where_taarabt_failed_says_qpr_legend_marsh_1_2884989

WhiteJC

Jol faces crucial Palace tie

There is growing speculation that Martin Jol faces a must-win game at Crystal Palace if he is to remain as Fulham boss.

The Cottagers have endured a tough start to the season, having managed just seven points from as many games in the Premier League to date. A win over Stoke prior to the international break eased the pressure on Jol, but it has been suggested he could be axed by new owner Shahid Khan if they are beaten at Selhurst Park on Monday. The Craven Cottage side faces a tough run of games following the trip to Palace as they take on Southampton (a) and Manchester United (h) in the league, with a Capital One Cup tie at Leicester in the middle of those two Premier League fixtures.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-faces-crucial-palace-tie-1649455.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham, Norwich and West Ham set to step up chase for Jiloan Hamad as Germans open talks
JILOAN HAMAD is keen to test himself in the German Bundesliga despite being chased by Premier League trio Fulham, Norwich City and West Ham.

The Malmo captain, who is on the cusp of leading his side to the Allsvenskan title and a place in next season's Champions League, revealed earlier this year his desire to play in the Premier League.

However interest from German clubs Borussia Monchengladbach, Freiburg, Hannover and Hoffenheim looks to have turned Hamad's head towards the Bundesliga.

"It is a tough league, I've always wanted to play in the Bundesliga," Hamad told Sportbladet.

The Swedish international, who held talks with the Hammers in the summer, confirmed negotiations were underway with Hoffenheim

He said: "That's one of the clubs that we're talking with. My agents handle this and as I've said before."

The 22-year-old's contract with Malmo is set to expire in January following the conclusion of the Allsvenskan season.

However Nenad Lukic, one of Hamad's representatives, admitted that talks with the German club were far from complete.

"There is nothing that is clear yet. We'll take it slow and wait until after the season," he said.

"He has games to play yet, then we will see what happens."

Despite these developments it is thought Fulham, Norwich and West Ham will still attempt to bring Hamad to the Premier League in the new year.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/345543/Fulham-Norwich-and-West-Ham-set-to-step-up-chase-for-Jiloan-Hamad-as-Germans-open-talks

WhiteJC

Premier League: Dynamo Kiev midfielder Lukman Haruna linked to January move

Lukman Haruna: Flattered by links to Premier League duo

Dynamo Kiev midfielder Lukman Haruna has been linked with a January move to the Premier League, with Fulham and West Brom reportedly interested.

Reports in Nigeria claim the 22-year-old, who joined Kiev from Monaco, has been watched by scouts from Albion and the Cottagers.

Haruna told Skysports.com: "I am definitely flattered by the links with Premier League clubs, I almost joined the Premier League before coming to Kiev.

"Fulham is a very good club in London. My ambition at the moment is to get back into the Nigerian team, I want to be part of the team and give my best to the country.

"I played in the 2010 World Cup and to do the same in the World Cup in Brazil could be fantastic.

"I am scoring goals in the Ukrainian League and hopefully that influences the coach to call me back."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8975715?

WhiteJC

Stoke City lodge complaint with referees' chief over Roger East
Club chief executive Tony Scholes calls Mike Riley to express his dissatisfaction with official's performance against Fulham

Blamed: Roger East officiated Stoke's 1-0 defeat by Fulham Photo: REX FEATURES

Stoke City have made an official complaint to referees chief Mike Riley over the performance of Roger East in their defeat at Fulham.

Tony Scholes, the Stoke chief executive, has contacted Riley to register the club's concerns following East's display in the 1-0 loss at Craven Cottage this month.

East, who was promoted to the Premier League's select group of officials this year, angered Stoke manager Mark Hughes with a number of key decisions and failed to dismiss Fulham's Pajtim Kasami for lashing out at Erik Pieters.

Stoke have fought a long-running battle against the standard of refereeing since their promotion to the top flight and East's performance resulted in Scholes telephoning Riley, general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Board, to voice his frustrations.

East is not taking charge of a game this weekend and will not return to the field until Peterborough's home game against Sheffield United in League One on Tuesday night.

The Wiltshire official was promoted to the elite list in June at the age of 48 and has run two Premier League games so far this season.

Hughes, meanwhile, is ready to send £2.5 million winger Brek Shea out on loan in an attempt to help his World Cup ambitions.

Shea, the United States international, will be allowed out to clubs in the Championship after recovering from a knee ligament injury, with Hughes keen for him to play first-team football.

US coach Jürgen Klinsmann has told the 23-year-old that he must be playing regularly to secure selection for next year's World Cup and is expected to move before the emergency loan window closes next month.

Hughes is also prepared to loan out former Rangers midfielder Jamie Ness, who is yet to make a league appearance for the club since joining in the summer of last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/stoke-city/10384227/Stoke-City-lodge-complaint-with-referees-chief-over-Roger-East.html

WhiteJC

Enforcing A Tactical Shift Against Fulham

Morning all.

With familiar routines appearing following the conclusion of the international break, Ian Holloway and his coaching staff are preparing for the visit of Martin Jol's unpredictable Fulham side with genuine ambitions of victory, rather than a battening down of the hatches.

With nearly two weeks having passed since Suarez and Sturridge blew us away in a madcap 30 minute spell at Anfield, wounds have begun to heal. Whilst few expected us to put up much of a fight against Brendan Rodgers rampant Liverpool, it was to our credit that we battled back in the second half. Rather than rolling over, we kept our minds focussed on the task at hand, receiving a subsequent reward through Dwight Gayle's deft backwards header, which glanced off Mignolet's far post and into the net.

Upon our arrival in the Premier League, wide-eyed enthusiasm brought a sense of optimism over our readiness for the challenges that lay in wait, but in the weeks that have passed since, any rose-tinted assessments of our chances have been well and truly dismantled, thanks to a run of fixtures that would test the most well-adjusted top flight clubs.

Our performances have at times looked a little lacking in cohesion, a byproduct of a mad trolley-dash in the final week of the transfer window which saw a vast array of new arrivals. It would be easy to look upon such a frantic conclusion with scepticism over the forward planning which had or hadn't taken place, but when any club is offered the chance to make a number of additions which could conceivably be the difference between success and failure, it takes an incredibly disciplined outlook to turn them down.

Regardless of your individual stance on the extensive changes made to the squad over the summer, it is now up to Holloway and the players to impose themselves upon the Premier League in a positive manner, with the visit of Fulham providing a much needed opportunity to clear the storm clouds which have hung over us in recent outings. Any game against Manchester United or Liverpool will bring with it twangs of trepidation for a club residing in the lower reaches of the division, whilst meetings with the similarly slick passing styles of Southampton and Swansea have recently become an ominous prospect. When looked at in direct comparison, the threat posed by Fulham will come as a pleasant change for many of our battle-weary players.

What must happen now, is a deliberate shift in our tactical intentions, throwing caution to the wind to some extent, in an effort to demonstrate our attacking strengths against a side who, on paper at least, provide the first feasible opportunity of three points since our last victory at home to Sunderland in August. It will prove a delicate balancing act, given the flimsy nature of our defensive displays in recent weeks, but if we are to achieve our goals this season, there is a need to remove the shackles which have weighed us down on occasion, playing with positivity in every sense.

If we can make the appropriate attacking adjustments without ignoring the need for defensive solidarity, there could well be a hefty reward at the end of the rainbow, how exactly we go about implementing those changes remains to be seen.

Until tomorrow.

http://hltco.org/2013/10/16/enforcing-a-tactical-shift-against-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Ed Chamberlin: Big weekend for Crystal Palace and Andros Townsend

Phew. That was one nerve-wracking, yet thrilling night to be at Wembley on Tuesday. For the first time in a long time it was exhilarating and fun to watch England.

The first part of the qualifying campaign was uninspiring but the finishing straight against Montenegro and Poland was thrilling and congratulations to Roy Hodgson and his team for making it to Brazil as group winners.

We can all now dream, though a dose of reality comes from Sky Bet, who have England at 22/1 to win the 2014 World Cup. I doubt there will be many takers even at that price but this England team seems to be steadily improving and it's good to think that England might go to World Cup as a united, happy group and that Roy will continue to put the accent on attack and they won't die wondering.

It's a fascinating conundrum now for the England management as to how they combine all the attacking talent now available with extra steel in midfield. It's fine to have two in central midfield at Wembley against the likes of Montenegro and Poland but that will surely be too brave against top sides in Brazil.

There were even warning signs against both sides at Wembley, particularly from Poland's counter-attacking on Tuesday night. Hodgson has plenty of time now to experiment and find that balance. England fans seem more realistic these days but it's still good to have people - and players - excited about the national team again.

Andros Townsend was the star of the show in both games and it will be good to see him in action on Super Sunday at Villa Park. Punters who back Townsend at 4/1 to score in the game are bound to get a good run for their money as he will be absolutely buzzing and loves to shoot!

Aston Villa look set to have Christian Benteke back in the side on Sunday, which will give them a big boost.

Benteke has 44% of Aston Villa's goals this season, while last season his 19 Premier League goals accounted for 40% of Villa's goals.

Villa have been an enigma for punters so far this season, busting coupons with wins against Arsenal and Manchester City then losing games you'd expect them to win. Anything could happen against Tottenham on Sunday and it should be a decent game.

Monday Night Football

Monday Night Football returns the following evening with Crystal Palace against Fulham. You sense it is a massive game in Palace's season.

They were unlucky to run in to two in-form teams in Southampton and Liverpool but trips to places like Anfield are not where Crystal Palace's Premier League fate will be decided. It's nights like this that are crucial for survival.

You need to win home games, especially against the sides that are in your mini-league also looking for survival - just as Palace did against Sunderland on the Saturday Night Football last month. They are an 8/5 chance with Sky Bet to repeat that win against Fulham on Monday night.

Fulham have also had a difficult start to the campaign but come here after a vital, morale-boosting win against Cardiff. Martin Jol's side have so much attacking talent in their squad yet goals have been hard to come by.

One goal was enough against Stoke but they haven't scored more than one in any Premier League game this season.

When Berbatov, Bent, Taarabt, Ruiz and co. eventually click, Fulham will be in business but Ian Holloway will be encouraged that Fulham have lost their last two Premier League games on the road without scoring.

Champions Day

Rod Street and his Great British Racing team do a terrific job for the sport but I imagine they always feared the likelihood of heavy ground for their big day and the possibility of a Champions Day without any 'champions'.

At this time of year the former is always likely and having been spoilt by Frankel's presence for the last two seasons, despite the lack of a superstar this year there are plenty of stars on show and we have a really good card to look forward to on Saturday. I hope they get the big crowd their efforts deserve.

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the display of top sporting trophies which will include the FA Cup, Ashes urn, Rugby League Challenge Cup, the Calcutta Cup and Jules Rimet Trophy. Not a bad collection.

Who will win Saturday's big prizes? The best 'story' on the card could come in the opening race, the Long Distance Cup, with the reappearance of the Queen's Gold Cup heroine Estimate. A win for her in the opener would get the meeting off to a flying start.

Being at Royal Ascot to see her win was one of the sporting highlights of the summer and it would be good for the sport and Champions Day to see her triumph again. However, I'm happy to take her on after such a long absence, in totally different conditions and at such a short price (5/2 with Sky Bet).

The one I like is Aidan O'Brien's Eye Of The Storm. He's been progressive this autumn and handled heavy ground really well at Listowel on his penultimate start. He may only have one eye but Eye Of The Storm is a talented horse who could easily develop in to one of the top stayers next season. He'll get weight all round on Saturday and the 12/1 with Sky Bet is worth snapping up.

In the Fillies' and Mares' Stakes I'm looking forward to seeing Hot Snap (7/1 with Sky Bet) tried over this longer trip. She looks like a galloper to me and I fancy her to turn around the Blandford Stakes form with Belle De Crecy.

Hot Snap has never really fulfilled the potential we saw when she blew away Sky Lantern in the Nell Gwyn. Connections still have faith and Saturday could be the day.

This year's QE II doesn't set the pulse racing, especially with Toronado set to defect to the Breeders' Cup. Dawn Approach will be a tough nut to crack but I do like the chances of both Soft Falling Rain and Maxios.

Soft Falling Rain looks like a hugely talented colt and was really impressive at Newmarket last month. He'll have been trained to peak for this and IF he handles the ground after the heaving falling rain, I think Soft Falling Rain will win. On heavy ground, Maxios looks a big danger. Again he is peaking at the right time and will relish a test of stamina.

The French should win the Champions Stakes. I said last week Sky Bet's 5/2 on Cirrus des Aigles should be snapped up and predictably the race has fallen apart around him. Unlike so many of the others, Cirrus des Aigles has been targeted at this race and on this ground should be very hard to beat.

Good luck to Richard Fahey and lots of my Sky Sports colleagues who have shares in Farlow, who will hopefully get in to the final race on the card. On the evidence of his last run at Ayr, where he won the race on the 'wrong' side and with the ground in his favour, Farlow looks set to run a big race.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12037/8976082/ed-chamberlin-big-weekend-for-crystal-palace-and-andros-townsend?

WhiteJC

Liverpool man eyes World Cup spot after turning down Fulham chance

Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson still hopes to secure his seat on the plane to Brazil by playing his way into England's World Cup squad.

The 22-year-old was not selected by Roy Hodgson for the last two qualifiers, which guaranteed the national team's progress to next summer's tournament in South America.

That is despite the fact he has enjoyed an impressive opening to the campaign with the Reds, playing every minute of the Barclays Premier League season so far.

"I think everyone wants to play for England at the end of the day," he told reporters.

"It's a massive opportunity and to play for your country is a real honour but all I can do is keep playing well for Liverpool and keep working hard.

"There's nothing more I can do. When it comes to selection it's up to the England manager to select the best squad he can for the upcoming games."

Henderson's current fortunes are a world away from 12 months ago when, in manager Brendan Rodgers' first season at the club, it seemed he was destined for a bit-part role at best.

Having turned down a move to Fulham as a makeweight in the failed bid for Clint Dempsey the midfielder vowed to improve and make a success of his career at Anfield.

That hard work, coupled with winning over his manager, has made a huge difference to Henderson.

"There were a few areas that the manager and I spoke about to improve on," he added.

"I went away and did what he said and I'll carry on doing so.

"I'll keep working on my game. I want to improve whatever position I'm playing and I want to do the best.

"The manager has put a lot of faith in me. It gives me confidence.

"He's improved my game since he came to Liverpool which I am very thankful for.

"Hopefully I can keep repaying him, keep working hard on the training pitch and improving and learning off other players.

"I want to keep improving all the time as I keep saying and hopefully I can do that and keep fit.

"I am just enjoying playing football at the minute and obviously I have played a lot since the start of the season. I'm just enjoying it.

"It doesn't matter what position I'm playing. I'll give 110 per cent wherever I am put.

"I am learning each and every position so when I'm put in that position I know exactly what I'm doing and to the best of my ability."

http://www.london24.com/sport/liverpool_man_eyes_world_cup_spot_after_turning_down_fulham_chance_1_2885578

WhiteJC

Leggat's Quickfire Treble

On Boxing Day 1963, Fulham reached double figures in a match for the second time in their history – the first was a 10-2 triumph over Torquay United back in the early 30s – when bottom of the table Ipswich Town visited Craven Cottage.

The Tractor Boys had won the Division One title back in 1962, but things had begun to unravel in East Anglia when manager Alf Ramsey departed to take charge of England. When they arrived at the Cottage just under 50 years ago, they were without a win from their 12 matches played away from Portman Road, shipping 33 goals in the process.

Fulham were sitting 16th in the 22-team league going into the game after a solid, if unspectacular, first half of the campaign – although they were unbeaten in the five matches previous to the Boxing Day encounter.

Maurice Cook got the ball rolling just after the quarter-hour mark when he connected with Johnny Key's cross to send a diving header beyond Ipswich keeper Roy Bailey. And, shortly after, Graham Leggat made history when he scored the quickest hat-trick in top-flight history, bagging his treble in a remarkable three-minute spell. His first was a tap-in after an initial effort had come back off the crossbar, before he spun a second in by the post, and grabbed his third with a powerful strike from 25yards.

Bobby Howfield made it 5-0 shortly before the interval when his corner kick was palmed into the goal by Bailey, although Ipswich striker Gerry Baker pulled one back with the final action of the half.

Howfield grabbed his second and Fulham's sixth just minutes after the restart, though, with Bobby Robson then netting what would prove to be his only goal of the season – ironically against the club where he would go on to earn legendary status in later life. Howfield joined Leggat in bagging a hat-trick in the 71st minute and, with just moments remaining, Fulham ensured double figures were reached with Alan Mullery and Leggat each popping up in the closing stages.

The victory catapulted the Whites three places up the standings but if Bedford Jezzard and his side were hoping to build on their largest-ever victory then they were sorely mistaken as they lost the following match 4-2. The opponents? In typically Fulhamish style: Ipswich Town.

Fulham team: 1. Macedo, 2. Cohen, 3. Langley, 4. Mullery, 5. Keetch, 6. Robson, 7. Key, 8. Cook, 9. Leggat, 10. Haynes, 11. Howfield

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/17/throwback-thursday