more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hangeland is a worry

Started by The Swan, October 21, 2013, 10:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Quote from: callumc513 on October 22, 2013, 12:03:28 AM
It is vital that he never plays for us again. Terrible performances for at least 18 months now.
Senderos is more than able to replace him.

Okay, that's more than a little over the top. Hangeland has played poorly all season, and his light didn't shine all that brightly last season also, but he's still a very talented CB. I think we're better off with Phillippe and Love Bite playing as the partnership right now, but "it is vital he never plays for us again" is WAY over the top.

Hey, we won today. Lighten up.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Captain Fulhamerica

Hangeland is clearly hurt, he wasn't moving well today at all.  I think we have to accept the fact that he's not a young player anymore and can't play every minute of the season.  He clearly needs a rest. 

Some people seem quick to hold Senderos up as the answer, and he has played well the last few games. There's not doubt he is athletic and plays hard, but he's proven to be accident prone over his career.  Amorebieta is also known as a player that picks up reckless bookings.  It might be a bit of a risk to play them together, I just hope it's a risk that pays off.

Chutney

What a ridiculous post.
C O Y W

callumc513

When was the last time you saw him play well?

callumc513

Quote from: MJs Statue on October 22, 2013, 12:12:01 AM
Hangeland is clearly hurt, he wasn't moving well today at all.  I think we have to accept the fact that he's not a young player anymore and can't play every minute of the season.  He clearly needs a rest. 

Some people seem quick to hold Senderos up as the answer, and he has played well the last few games. There's not doubt he is athletic and plays hard, but he's proven to be accident prone over his career.  Amorebieta is also known as a player that picks up reckless bookings.  It might be a bit of a risk to play them together, I just hope it's a risk that pays off.

When did Senderos last make a mistake that lead to a goal?
And when did Amorebieta last get a booking?

God The Mechanic

Quote from: callumc513 on October 22, 2013, 12:16:23 AM

Didn't he slip over for the fourth goal today?

Junichi

Quote from: God The Mechanic on October 22, 2013, 12:25:59 AM
Quote from: callumc513 on October 22, 2013, 12:16:23 AM

Didn't he slip over for the fourth goal today?
064.gif

Rudolph

Hangeland is clearly hurt, he wasn't moving well today at all.  I think we have to accept the fact that he's not a young player anymore and can't play every minute of the season.  He clearly needs a rest.  

Some people seem quick to hold Senderos up as the answer, and he has played well the last few games. There's not doubt he is athletic and plays hard, but he's proven to be accident prone over his career.  Amorebieta is also known as a player that picks up reckless bookings.  It might be a bit of a risk to play them together, I just hope it's a risk that pays off.

He has played well at every time of asking and has not made these costly mistakes that some of his detractors reel out.  Hangeland has made actual match losing mistakes this and last season.  Senderos is also on the brink of making a good partnership with Amorebiata, both of whom are in their mid to late 20s.  

Coincidently he is also part of a particularly strong Swiss national team, along with Kasami, So he must be doing something right at international level too.  

Phil isn't everyones cup of tea, but I warm to a player who drives forward, gets stuck in, is a handful at set pieces and plays with passion.

Captain Fulhamerica

Quote from: Rudolph on October 22, 2013, 12:41:38 AM

He has played well at every time of asking and has not made these costly mistakes that some of his detractors reel out.  Hangeland has made actual match losing mistakes this and last season.  Senderos is also on the brink of making a good partnership with Amorebiata, both of whom are in their mid to late 20s. 

Coincidently he is also part of a particularly strong Swiss national team, along with Kasami, So he must be doing something right at international level too. 

Phil isn't everyones cup of tea, but I warm to a player who drives forward, gets stuck in, is a handful at set pieces and plays with passion.

I agree with all of that, and I'm not saying Senderos is a bad player. I don't think there's any doubt that he's a starter for us right now, he's earned that.  Has he made a noteworthy mistake recently? No, that's why he's in the team. I just think you take a certain risk when he's on the field.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: MJs Statue on October 22, 2013, 12:49:35 AM
I agree with all of that, and I'm not saying Senderos is a bad player. I don't think there's any doubt that he's a starter for us right now, he's earned that.  Has he made a noteworthy mistake recently? No, that's why he's in the team. I just think you take a certain risk when he's on the field.

Even if he's a possible mistake in the making, I'd prefer that over a guaranteed one with Hangeland at the moment :P  Not that I think Senderos is a mistake waiting to happen, he's been remarkably consistent of late.

SmithyFFC

His having a bad spell, but every player, even the very, very best do. Form is temporary and class is permanent, give it a few weeks and I'm sure he'll be back to his old self.  :54:
FTID

jarv

The late Mr. Finn said it. Aaron Hughes made Hangers look a bit better than he actually is. I agree with that but still think he can be excellent for Fulham. I think since Hughes has not played so much, Hangers slide in form is evident which ties in with some comments that he has not been so good for about 18 months.

fulham1234

I think its harsh to put the entire blame on hangeland for the goal, cross took a lucky deflection that left the defenders a little flat footed and its very difficult to win a header when someone has a running jump on you, even if you are 6ft 6'

callumc513

Quote from: jarv on October 22, 2013, 01:02:51 AM
The late Mr. Finn said it. Aaron Hughes made Hangers look a bit better than he actually is. I agree with that but still think he can be excellent for Fulham. I think since Hughes has not played so much, Hangers slide in form is evident which ties in with some comments that he has not been so good for about 18 months.

Agree entirely, Hughes has always been the better defender.

ToodlesMcToot

Time to stop running Brede out there with a bad back. He's having real trouble jumping from what I can see and not dominating his area up to his own standard. Let the guy heal and let Amorebieta earn his wage.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Deanothefulhamfan

I felt he was terrible, but he has been pretty poor this season.

Senderos and Amboreita have to start the next game imo.

alfie

but he's proven to be accident prone over his career

when? do you have any examples, or is just what everyone says?

What DO you want the guy to do apart from play well, probably the most 100% committed player we have, and if he does make a mistake he never ever hides. Over the seasons Brede/Hughes have been here we have seen them make a few errors, but their name is not Senderos.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Rudolph

Quote from: alfie on October 22, 2013, 10:42:20 AM

but he's proven to be accident prone over his career

when? do you have any examples, or is just what everyone says?

What DO you want the guy to do apart from play well, probably the most 100% committed player we have, and if he does make a mistake he never ever hides. Over the seasons Brede/Hughes have been here we have seen them make a few errors, but their name is not Senderos.

I struggle with this one too.  Recently there was almost a feeling from some, that we were robbed by the referee not giving Stoke a penalty for the dive by Ireland, I guess if only to give them an opportunity to say "look, look, told you so".  Never got this attitude personally and this constant "accident waiting to happen" rubbish, when actual mistakes by other defenders led to goals.  It is almost like an indoctrinated response to win the approval of others.

I have NEVER doubted the ability of Senderos and have gone out of my way to champion his achievements.  Today is a good day and I hope he builds on this by getting a good long run in the first team and more importantly, a longer deal than the 6 months he has with us now.