more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The View From South Texas -- Crystal Palace v. Fulham FC

Started by HatterDon, October 21, 2013, 10:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Amazing Performance as Fulham Storm Palace

This was the most enjoyable 90 minutes of football I've seen from Fulham in a very long time. Yes, winning by three goals on the road will make any match more enjoyable, but today's match was all about attitude. Fulham looked ready to attack from the beginning and played aggressively the entire time. The Whites pressed all over the pitch, fought for the ball all over the pitch, and always looked to be the aggressor. Needless to say, we haven't seen anything like this before in 2013.

Palace are a spirited team largely populated by substandard players. On this night, though, spirit wasn't enough – or perhaps more accurately tonight Fulham's spirit balanced out that of the Eagles and the imbalance in overall talent made the difference. Fulham never looked like being controlled, not even after Adrian Mariappa became the latest Premier League player to out-jump Brede Hangeland in the 7th minute. During the following 12 minutes, Palace's tails were up and they expended a ton of effort that Fulham had little trouble controlling. And then came the magic.

I've only been playing close attention to Fulham since the 2003-04 season, and I suppose I've only seen about 150-200 league and cup matches since then, but Pajtim Kasami's equalizer was – by far – the finest goal I've ever seen scored by a player in a Fulham shirt. Not even the 20+ touch, 9 player goal finished by Clint Dempsey against Newcastle two seasons ago comes close. Words can't do justice to this goal, so I'm not going to try. What I will say is when you watch the replay of this goal – which I will do forever – take a look at where Kasami was when Parker got the ball. The boy essentially made his own goal. There's an old story that in his second year in the league, George Best scored a breathtaking goal. The press room at Old Trafford was going crazy when a young reporter shouted, "Time! What's the time of the goal?" An old hand reportedly replied, "Bugger the time, lad. Write down the date."

The wind was truly out of The Eagle's sails when Sidwell scored Fulham's second shortly before half time. Ruiz's free kick pinballed off the Palace wall and came to Steve Sidwell who scored with a glorious volley. Yes, he was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time, but it was also Sidwell who won the free kick in the first place. The predictable cheer followed, sadly. I think it's time to retire that one. We're in the Big Boy league now.

Hangeland was replaced by Amorebieta at half time – injury? – and Fulham did NOT sit back. Instead, the Whites looked hungry for more. Dimitar Berbatov, who was all about working hard, encouraging his teammates, and creating AND exploiting space, showed in the 50th minute what a strong geezer he really is. It was pure upper body strength that allowed him to nod in Fulham's third. Five minutes later, Philippe Senderos got into the act with a tasty little volley off yet another dead ball situation. And that was that.

Fulham looked to go for a fifth, but eventually settled down to play out the string without further excitement. Fulham scored four on the day. Going into the match they'd scored FIVE in the previous seven matches. It was a well-deserved and very well-executed demolition of an inferior neighbor. Fulham not only played up to the level of their talent, but they also played attractive, creative attacking football and, in 2013, matches this pleasurable have been very thin on the ground.

HatterDon's Man of the Match: This is a close one for me. Senderos looked very good today, as did Sidwell, Berbatov, and Parker, but Kasami set the tone for the team early with his relentless running, his exuberant defense, and his constant effort. Well done, Fulham's latest full international.

COYW
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

rusty shackleford

YankeeJim

Maybe Lovebite is simply better than Hangers is this season & Jol finally became aware of that. Well, someone could have told him.

P.S.
Sorry I stole Lovebite. I just think its a great nickname.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

SmithyFFC

Have to disagree, thought we where poor and average until Kasami's goal. Before that we really didn't look like scoring!
FTID

jarv

Didn't see the game but did see the goal. Personally, I think Dempsey's v Juventus tops it.....just.

valdeingruo

Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

btings

Kasami is making even the rough patches of this season feel worthwhile.  Encouragingly, Berbatov is starting to trust him too - he's directing balls towards Kasami on occasion, instead of just to himself.

BillNRoc

The most encouraging moment for me was the late counter-attack when Berbatov looked to both sides and passed to Kasami, whose quality shot had to be deflected by the Palace keeper.

Wish I shared HD's overall level of enthusiasm. Defeating a team everyone tabs for relegation seems like pretty small potatoes, showing us as contenders to finish 13th or so. Two wonder goals do not an offense make. Show me effort and quality against a better team, you'll win me over.

Burt

Thanks Mr HD, broadly agree with your summary, as ever. We were slow out though...

horse1031

good job Hatter, I liked the positive review!  winning 1-4 away from home is an amazing feat and should not be ignored.