watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Darren Bent

Started by Gezza, October 22, 2013, 08:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gezza

A great win last night but is it only me who thinks Bent's work rate is really poor . His attempts to win , let alone hold up, balls pumped up to him were lamentable. His attempts at tackling were half hearted. I can't think of any positive contribution he made to the team effort. He was our front line striker and had only one attempt on goal. Tell me if I am wrong.

TonyGilroy

He's basically a goal poacher. Last night he wasn't needed but perhaps he diverted the attention of defenders.

He drew a good save from Speroni that led to the corner that let to the Berbatov goal.

It may be significant that his three goals have all come from late substitute appearances. Perhaps as a result of him being fresh against tiring defenders.

valdeingruo

He is as Tony says, a poacher. He will often be in the right place at the right time, and last night it just happened not to be his night. Also this may just be me, but the ball wasnt played to him in the manner that he is accustomed to, so that could have been a factor.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Holders

I noticed that he was running into space when Ruiz took the free-kick as if it might have been intended to be played for him or had come back off the keeper. I think it was more a lack of the right sort of ball supply.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Riverside

He is a poacher agreed.
His one touch did produce a good save .

I don't think yet 100% match fit - hence looks better when he comes on as a sub against tiring defenders.
And the team is not used to playing with anyone that plays like him - so they don't yet know where to look for him or how to reach him .

I would be tempted to use him as a super sub for a while until fitness and team integration are fixed. But I dont want to see Berba up top again .

How about Rodellega to run the defenders into the ground ( which he will do , and he will get the ball more though we know his first touch will not be good ) and then Bent for the last 30 mins ?

alexbishop

I think he had only 9 touches all the time he was on the pitch which was disappointing. For the wages he's on I think we need more contribution from him. That said we know he isn't a hold up striker, or a dribbler or anything. He is a poacher who relies on through balls to run on to and being at the right place to get on the end of rebounds etc. Our service to him was poor last night.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

westcliff white

Bent had 13 touches last night which is a very low number, but to be fair to the man he is not a player who wants balls pumped into him. He likes balls in behind to chase after, as someone mentioned his shot produced the save that led to the corner that berba nodded in.

I would pick Bent and Bertba over Rodders every time, I am not a massive fan, I say it all the time i remember a game he had for wigan against us, he was 6 yards out an open goal and he headed over. yes everyone misses but to this day I don't know how he did. He has very poor control and relies only on his pace as his finishing is not that good either.

ANyway we won thats 2 in a row and lets hope it continues
Every day is a Fulham day

Forever Fulham

I'm not a 'natural' fan of Bent, but he's more than just a poacher.  He has too many goals in his career.  They don't all come from rebounds, loose balls in front of goal--scenarios that typify poaching.  He also creates opportunities for himself, with runs, etc.  But forwards need regular service, not just one or two with long waits in between.  The team must find a way to get the ball to him in the danger area.  Yet he is at least drawing bodies and attention which opens up opportunities and gaps for teammates.  When everyone contributes, good things happen.

PokerMatt

Did you notice how much of the ball Berbatov saw, particularly in the second half? I'd be surprised if he wasn't the player with the most touches and passes in the game. That's because Bent kept the defence back while berba dropped off.

Bent didn't see much of it and probably should have scored but berba had his best game of the season and that's down the the extra space that was created.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

alfie

Quote from: PokerMatt on October 22, 2013, 09:39:07 AM
Did you notice how much of the ball Berbatov saw, particularly in the second half? I'd be surprised if he wasn't the player with the most touches and passes in the game. That's because Bent kept the defence back while berba dropped off.

Bent didn't see much of it and probably should have scored but berba had his best game of the season and that's down the the extra space that was created.

yes i agree with that, Bent may not have scored but he definitely had the defence worried about him, allowing Berba to do his work.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

cmg

Excellent point.
With Bent what you see is what you get. His first touch is not a thing of great beauty, especially when compared with Berbatov's (whose first touch should be in the Tate Gallery). But he will get goals (as we have seen) and can do some of the manual labour. He and Berba together may be (despite reservations) just what we need. Synergy - I think.

PokerMatt

Quote from: cmg on October 22, 2013, 10:20:02 AM

Excellent point.
With Bent what you see is what you get. His first touch is not a thing of great beauty, especially when compared with Berbatov's (whose first touch should be in the Tate Gallery). But he will get goals (as we have seen) and can do some of the manual labour. He and Berba together may be (despite reservations) just what we need. Synergy - I think.

Yep. And it showed in the second half - particularly that magical lay-off berba made for Bent that led to the corner for our third. Berba knew exactly where Bent would be. More time together and I'm excited what they can do.

I personally think they should have been started a while ago. Having two strikers with such different mentalities is so much harder for a defence to contain. Do they push up to close berba's space or stay back to watch the runs of bent? Palace went for the latter and berba was allowed to dictate.

Jimmy Hill

Dead Right he didn't do much in the game but it does allow berba to play, there was a definate ploy that steklenburg would pass it to berba and it really worked.. Thought it was funny how Jol Says Berber doesn't like playing that role but that he has been coming to deep when playing up top anyway so he knew it was the right thing to do. I still think Bent needs to get fitter and Rodders should get some game time maybe against Leicester. But that the right way for us to play.

cottage cheese

Berbatov was all over the pitch thanks to Bent I feel. Was his best game in a while

RaySmith

Bent did  lot of selfless running, and helped create space for Berba.

He doesn't look completely sharp, but that will come through game time, and  i foresee him scoring regularly for us if people give him the ball in the right area, and how he likes it...which will happen as the team adjusts.

simplyfulham

He should of done a lot lot better with his chance.

If he found a corner with his strike, I wouldn't mind. But it was pretty much central.

When a 'poacher' can't even manage to seriously test the keeper or even hit the corners.. What's the point.

PokerMatt

Quote from: simplyfulham on October 22, 2013, 10:59:49 AM
He should of done a lot lot better with his chance.

If he found a corner with his strike, I wouldn't mind. But it was pretty much central.

When a 'poacher' can't even manage to seriously test the keeper or even hit the corners.. What's the point.

I assume you looked at Dembele's stats of few goals and fewer assists and was glad we sold him then? Obviously the bigger picture doesn't matter.

If Bent hadn't have been stretching the defence in the Second half we wouldn't have been so in control. The stat above with berba's touches proves how important bent was. If berba was the lone striker those touches would have left no-one up front and their defensive line would have been in our half. As has often been the case, it must be said.

JackyFulham90

Bent didn't have a great game but he kept there defence on the back foot. For me he is key to the way we play, if he is missing Rodallega should play

TonyGilroy

If we concede four I'm not terribly interested in being told how well the defence played.

If we score four I'll assume that the strikers played a full part.

Southcoastffc

If anyone doubts Bent's movement and ability to draw away from defenders and to pull defenders out of position, take a look again at Kasami's, Sidwell's and Berbatov's goals but keep watching Bent.  I thought he had a very quiet game last night, with little service, but apart from his very good and well-saved shot, watching the clips again I realised that he contributed much more than I noticed when I viewed the game last night.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.