watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Was this an illusory 4-1 win?

Started by Forever Fulham, October 23, 2013, 06:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

I'm just wondering if the team played with more gusto, more attacking freedom, because the players felt more confident against a promoted team on the ropes.  I wonder how many times out of ten Kasami could duplicate that amazing goal.  The team beat up one of the weakest teams in the Prem.  Confidence, what's between the ears, can produce outsized performances.  I'm excited about Kasami, about Senderos, about Berbatov's work rate, about Ruiz's movement and passing, about Sidwell, but will some of them go back into a tentative shell when they play a top half team?  Has this game given them spillover confidence going into a tough schedule ahead.  Hope so.   Self-confidence is so important to the outcome of fairly evenly matched games.  Self-belief.  Look at Man U's current record.  Same players plus a Croatian teenager and Fellaini.  A defensive line that is a year older--true. But still, the same team, now playing poorly without Ferguson to give them the confidence they currently lack under Moyes. 

Forever Fulham

Oops.  Adnan is Serbian/Albanian, not Croatian.  Sorry.

HatterDon

Well, Kasami's goal is the best he'll score in his career, and Sidwell's is likely the best he'll score this season, so -- by definition -- we're not going to see a repeat of those two corkers the rest of the season. What can be duplicated is the attitude and conviction we saw yesterday:

1. Berbatov applauding a player for his effort in delivering what was a pretty poor pass.
2. Senderos, Berbatov, Bent, Sidwell attacking corners with gusto.
3. Ruiz delivering free kicks to a target other than the first opponent's kneecap.
4. The team coming out for the second half determined NOT to sit on their lead and play negatively.
5. Players willfully running when we gained possession in our half so that our defenders/central mids had multiple targets. Kasami's goal is the perfect example of this.

We can play like that next week. Winning 4-1 on the road? Well, I'd love to see it again, but I'd rather see the performance rather than the result. The performance is something we have control over.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Holders

I do hope we repeat the performance - I shall be in Cornwall with  a Soton supporter on Saturday and we'll be watching the game in a pub.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

JackyFulham90

There is no reason why we can't play like that all the time, not every single game will it work but we have a lot of quality in our squad enough to trouble any side we face

WhiteJC

Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 23, 2013, 06:55:12 PM
I'm just wondering if the team played with more gusto, more attacking freedom, because the players felt more confident against a promoted team on the ropes.   

Palace weren't a pushover (until the 3rd goal went in) at the time we were 1 nil down, away from home against a team that believed that we were there for the taking, before that wonder goal how many of us were confident of a result? a goal of that quality injected belief in our team, something thats been missing for a long, long time, perhaps now its back, the next few games will show?

St Eve

Perhaps we just needed confidence and a wonder goal or two gave us that. Perhaps we needed our first choice keeper back to steady the defense. Perhaps Bent and Berbs in the same time is the right decision - maybe Bent was a bit off but his mere presence is threatening. Perhaps we have now got the basis of a consistent team line up. We shall see but I am positive about the future which includes Jol, Berbs and Ruiz even though they have taken a lot of criticism recently. Although I am not a Senderos or Sidwell fan I tip my hate to them, but there is still a lot of concern over Richardson. A great win - bring on the Saints

Count Berbatov

The signs were there vs Everton.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

BestOfBrede

Quote from: St Eve on October 24, 2013, 12:06:38 AM
Perhaps we just needed confidence and a wonder goal or two gave us that. Perhaps we needed our first choice keeper back to steady the defense. Perhaps Bent and Berbs in the same time is the right decision - maybe Bent was a bit off but his mere presence is threatening. Perhaps we have now got the basis of a consistent team line up. We shall see but I am positive about the future which includes Jol, Berbs and Ruiz even though they have taken a lot of criticism recently. Although I am not a Senderos or Sidwell fan I tip my hate to them, but there is still a lot of concern over Richardson. A great win - bring on the Saints
Blimey - you have said, almost to the word, my exact thoughts. Including the players you mention!
(Although I would tip my 'hat' to them!  :005:)

St Eve

Quote from: BestOfBrede on October 24, 2013, 08:25:11 AM
Blimey - you have said, almost to the word, my exact thoughts. Including the players you mention!
(Although I would tip my 'hat' to them!  :005:)

We are just smarter than everone else!!

Forever Fulham

I'm not sure Stek made the impact you suggest, but I'm too happy to argue.  Mostly I agree with you.  Confidence can become contagious.

Irelands_number1

Steks pings were outrageous! His distribution was absolutely quality!

HatterDon

Quote from: Irelands_number1 on October 24, 2013, 07:52:15 PM

Really? Because I can't remember him delivering one kick to a Fulham player on Monday. He was as zoned in on the opposition as Black Mark was his last two seasons.

Mind you, he's got amazing reflexes and his balance is excellent. He's also got strength when he gets low. I'm looking forward to watching him some more.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

the nutflush

Quote from: Irelands_number1 on October 24, 2013, 07:52:15 PM

Compare his distribution to Schwarzers.  Miles better.  No disrespect to Schwarzer (Im an Aussie) he was a great shot stopper but his distribution was awful.  Its great to have a keeper that can pinpoint a player in the other half of the pitch.