watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Singing Sections......

Started by Adam87, October 24, 2013, 03:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam87

A couple of reasons this subject has gone through my head, not least because how impressed I was with the palace fanatics in the corner of the Holmesdale stand who really should be applauded for the atmosphere they bring to home games, also watching the Dortmund fans with the colour and singing/passion they brought to a quiet and almost embarrassing emirates stadium, again this highlights where German football have got it so right and English football have got it so very wrong. No wonder all the football supporters in this country look in envy at how there league is run and how there fans have the "freedom".

So, we know our acoustics are not the best, nobody's fault that, just the way it is, but that could change depending on how we develop the ground in the next 10 years, hopefully they will think about trying to keep the noise in, but would a singing section of our own help the team...now we don't need several thousand because that is never going to happen, but even if we got 500 I think it would make a massive difference at the moment, the club would just need to allocate a section and see if there is enough interest from supporters, and I am sure if they made it reasonably price there would be amongst the younger generation of fans. I think sometimes the club need to think about this.
I also think the best place to have the section is in the Johnny Haynes stand as the noise will stay in with the roof, I don't think the Hammersmith at the back has the acoustics to really make any difference, I think it will be better having their own space at the back of a stand where they will be heard.

Anyway its just an idea, I cant see a negative too it, but there will always be someone who will come up with something.

....and no im not talking about setting up ultras before someone springs that, im talking about a section purely dedicated to improve the atmosphere and to get behind the team at all times. For example.....

CPFC vs CARDIFF - CARLING CUP SEMI FINAL - HOLMESDALE FANATICS (10.1.12)

I think at least the club should see what the feedback is if they put it out there..

Holders

Some of the visiting European sides during the Euro run quite embarrassed us by the noise just a few hundred could make. Basel, for example, never stopped all night.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

alexbishop

if we could get all the fans who travelled to Palace on Monday all together in one section that would be ideal. The noise they made was huge and they didn't stop singing all game. I wonder why we never generate that at the Cottage - then you, think, these fans are all split up and separated round the ground. A singing section I think would be a good opportunity to get all the fans together who want to sing.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

BestOfBrede

I think the idea is reasonable but the section in the ground would need to be discussed, probably with those who aim to take part. Going to the game isn't just about singing - I would think that the participants would also want a good view.
I'm not sure the JH stand is best for that, unfortunately.

King_Crud

Yeah I've been to a few games around the world, in some fairly low leagues, and there's always a loud singing section. It seem the UK is one of the quietest in this regard. I don't think it would take a lot of effort to start it, Palace seem to have created a good set up

dartfordwhite

I thought that H5 was already the 'singing area' with a few in H4 and H6? If this is already common knowledge, then those who want to be more involved should buy tickets for these sections? Makes no sense to try get it moved as Hammersmith end is the home end.
I thought that Palace fans at the start of the game did actually have a fantastic turn out around the whole ground for singing, and after their first goal I could see them all the more up for it and trying to produce an intimidating atmosphere. Would be great the have that at the Cottage every week but I think in general home fans in every ground can be guilty of being quiet whilst the away fans have travelled all that way so are more inclined to make as much noise as possible.
But a few fans getting together to lead the chants (and keep them in time instead of speeding off into a mumble) would be great for us!
I think players can have a great effect on this too. I remember seeing one of the Palace players really giving it to the fans at a corner to get them louder. We need someone (Sidwell, Kasami, Reither?) to really shout back when there's not enough going on.

Adam87

The palace friends I spoke to told me that a while back a lot of younger fans asked if they could improve the clubs atmosphere and the overall experience and in working with the club and its encouragement started to form an area where people could go to sing and stand etc...take Manchester united with there introduced singing section at old Trafford the other night, same thing...

I still think for acoustic reasons the back of the Hammersmith is not going to work, you cant hear them beyond the half way line and I just think it will be a waste. I know the club tried to get a singing area, but they put it in the wrong place in my view and it just hasn't worked, though I don't blame them for trying though.
The again I don't know even if we have the type of fans to do this, im not saying we are less passionate but were a bit different if you understand what im trying to get at.

Im surprised the club haven't looked into this idea already or have at least asked for feedback from supporters on social media etc...

Baider

H5 is most certainly not the singing section. There's about 20 of us..

Adam87

my point exactly baider....the club would have to do some advertising and make it appealing to fans for people to get behind it, because I believe it can happen.

Chesh

you make some good points Adam87, and I make you right about the back of the Hammersmith being the wrong place to have such a section.

I reckon Johnny Haynes from H block towards the cottage - would keep the sound in, not too far from the away fans to have a bit of 'banter', and this part of the enclosure was always where you could influence the team when they came out, and give it to the away team on their way off also.

Regardless of some of the sillier tunes Palace come out with, they at least make an atmosphere, which is definitely something Craven Cottage lacks on most match days nowadays.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Chesh on October 25, 2013, 05:47:34 PM
you make some good points Adam87, and I make you right about the back of the Hammersmith being the wrong place to have such a section.

I reckon Johnny Haynes from H block towards the cottage - would keep the sound in, not too far from the away fans to have a bit of 'banter', and this part of the enclosure was always where you could influence the team when they came out, and give it to the away team on their way off also.

Regardless of some of the sillier tunes Palace come out with, they at least make an atmosphere, which is definitely something Craven Cottage lacks on most match days nowadays.
The problem is.... Do you really think the hardcore vociferous supporters will be happy in the JH enclosure - I don't think they will! I started supporting the Mighty Whites as a boy from that enclosure (Then the Stevenage), but used to look up to the Hammy end in awe of the noise. I couldn't wait to be big enough to start going in there!

The Bronsons

I wonder how much it would cost to sort out the acoustics in the Hammersmith end. Maybe a week or two's wages for a single player? Then turn the top half of the Hammersmith end into safe standing, and introduce a singing section at the same time. We'd be LOUD!

Chesh

Quote from: BestOfBrede on October 25, 2013, 06:16:26 PM

The problem is.... Do you really think the hardcore vociferous supporters will be happy in the JH enclosure - I don't think they will! I started supporting the Mighty Whites as a boy from that enclosure (Then the Stevenage), but used to look up to the Hammy end in awe of the noise. I couldn't wait to be big enough to start going in there!
But back in the mid eighties  to  mid to late nineties the enclosure was where all the atmosphere was (down from H block). To me,  the Hammersmith end (where I had  started) had had it's day by then.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Chesh on October 25, 2013, 07:15:40 PM

But back in the mid eighties  to  mid to late nineties the enclosure was where all the atmosphere was (down from H block). To me,  the Hammersmith end (where I had  started) had had it's day by then.
You may well be correct. To me It seemed to change once we became all seater which deffo changes the atmosphere IMO

Adam87

Thanks Chesh, I agree with you that the Johnny Haynes stand for now is the best place for this if they can get it up and running. I think the roof of the stand will help and the noise generated will be better than area else in the ground.
I think alot of fans are concerned with the atmosphere at the ground. I think we are an easy target for away fans to target.

Bestofbrede...
I just don't think the Hammersmith end is ideal right now, the noise doesn't travel out and I think its better the fans have their own specific area rather than in the middle of the stand. Ideally we would want it in the Hammersmith end but not currently as it is.

Most singing areas are allowed to stand, or the clubs don't go too harshly on them, for example watching the old Trafford singing section...they were not asked to sit down once from their own stewards. Obviously the club decided for the atmosphere to improve you cannot have 1500 people trying to get behind the team whilst constantly sitting down.

Barrie

This sounds like a good initiative, I hope it takes off.  Any possible singing area could be not located too near to the Riverstand Stand of course, in view of the nuisance and disturbance complaints that would ensue.

Or if that doesn't work just blast out some recorded fan noise over the PA system. 

Adam87

Hi Barrie, its just something I was talking about with mates the other day and thought the club could and should look into, I don't see a negative with it....it will encourage younger members to go to games, will hopefully provide a core support and that might eventually transfer to away games once people start getting to know each other etc...I was at the palace game and just thought to myself...."I wish we had something like that".
I don't think the riverside is going to be an option some how... 096.gig
Think a block from the back of the stand to the front in one of the ends of the Johnny Haynes stand would have the best chance to create noise with the roof and the building.

Barrie

Sorry Adam, my remarks, apart from the first sentence, were entirely facetious.   I have commented before that I feel that a more vocal home support would really help the players on the field, and I would welcome the club doing all they can to make a singing section happen.

Chesh

Quote from: BestOfBrede on October 25, 2013, 07:56:33 PM
Quote from: Chesh on October 25, 2013, 07:15:40 PM

But back in the mid eighties  to  mid to late nineties the enclosure was where all the atmosphere was (down from H block). To me,  the Hammersmith end (where I had  started) had had it's day by then.
You may well be correct. To me It seemed to change once we became all seater which deffo changes the atmosphere IMO
Yep - on that, we are all agreed. In fact, it's not been the same since we came back from Loftus Road (in terms of atmosphere that is - not that I would change much else about the Cottage!)