watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'm back! Just jotting a few thoughts.

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, October 25, 2013, 01:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Did anybody miss me? Nope? So now I can waffle.

Is anybody worried about the lack of creativity, or more, the lack of chances created by Fulham? We've scored nine goals in the league this season, four from corners (Kasami - Sunderland, Sidwell - WBA, Berbatov - Palace, and Senderos - Palace), three from absolute beauties (Kasami - Palace, Ruiz - Cardiff, Sidwell - Palace), one from a deflected shot (Bent - Stoke) and one from a goalkeepers parry (Bent - Arsenal).

We have some wonderful players, but we don't seem to have many clear cut chances created off of our own back? Can you remember one? Bent at Chelsea comes to mind. It may sound ridiculous but that really may be it. Maybe it could be Martin Jol still working out his best XI? Have we had a fully fit squad yet this season? Have we have a line up where we could think that's our strongest team?

Maybe it's the lack of width? With Dejagah yet to feature in the league this season, we lack that natural width with Kacaniklic struggling to hit the ground running this season for Fulham. We've played Duff, Kasami, Bryan and Taarabt all out wide this season, and none of them scream width, though don't get me wrong, Duff 5 years ago, yes, Duff now? Unsure of what he provides.

Now let me hit you with some assist stats for Fulham in the Premier League this season:

Bryan Ruiz - Senderos at Palace
Bryan Ruiz - Berbatov at Palace
Sascha Riether - Kasami at Palace
Sascha Riether - Ruiz vs. Cardiff
Damien Duff - Kasami at Sunderland
Philippe Senderos - Sidwell vs. West Brom

Not great eh? Hopefully it's a case of gelling rather than a long term problem. With players like Adel Taarabt and Ashkan Dejagah not 100% fit, perhaps we lack a spark, I've not seen as good awing partnership at Fulham than Dejagah and Riether so hopefully that can be reunited as soon as possible. I was going to launch into a spiel about the formation and the tactical requirements  required from specific players but that's for a later stage, maybe tomorrow.

the nutflush

Bassey the warrior

You're right. It's a tactical problem, one that has been the case ever since Dembele and Murphy left not to mention Dempsey. No movement off the ball, thus no one to create chances for.

Herbie

Quote from: The Moose on October 25, 2013, 01:56:23 AM
You're right. It's a tactical problem, one that has been the case ever since Dembele and Murphy left not to mention Dempsey. No movement off the ball, thus no one to create chances for.

The lack of movement at times is one of the more frustrating elements of the way we play.  It's not something I thought I would see under Jol.

Burt

Welcome back sir!

Is it a case of third time lucky?  :dft011:

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Herbie on October 25, 2013, 06:51:05 AM

The lack of movement at times is one of the more frustrating elements of the way we play.  It's not something I thought I would see under Jol.

You're not likely to see anything under Jol.

BillNRoc

To be fair, Kasami created his 1st chance by movement off the ball, though it did take a great pass from Riether plus a great 1st touch plus a miraculous volley to result in a goal. And Berbatov's counter-attacking pass to Kasami led to the late shot Palace's keeper managed to save. Overall, however, we still aren't creating much offense in open play, so F-P T's point is well taken. If we compete at Soton, we could grab a point - but I fear that's not the most likely outcome.

farfouille

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on October 25, 2013, 01:10:10 AM
Did anybody miss me? Nope? So now I can waffle.

I have absolutely no idea who you are but I miss you already. :)
Nice post, and good point on the assists. Our goals so far are results of our individual talents not ones of our team efforts.
"Everybody's assuming [Berbatov will go] but as far as I know he is a Man United player....my mistake. Oh my God. He's a Fulham player."
- Rene Meulensteen

RidgeRider

Welcome back and I definitely missed your posts. Glad you are back.

Your post highlights that we've been a bit lucky so far. Until we can create clear chances we will remain a mediocre to bad team on the pitch and the season will be a nervy one for all. Not something I am excited about. I am hopeful however the points we've picked up recently will shift confidence in a positive direction and players will get their tails up a bit and start playing with more purpose.