watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Berbatov to be captain this week?

Started by bulgariawhite, October 25, 2013, 07:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulgariawhite

With a doubt about Hangeland, will Berbatov be handed the armband? I noticed his whole demanour changed on Monday. Applauding his team mates, his work rate changed, and he scored a goal!!!! Maybe he felt loved and needed. Just wondering if this could be a positive move for this weekends game, and worth a try.

Brown@FFC

Still think it should be Parker/Sidwell, but, Berbatov is our vice captain.

tonynorton

farfouille

Quote from: Brown@FFC on October 25, 2013, 08:08:55 AM
Still think it should be Parker/Sidwell, but, Berbatov is our vice captain.

I also think it should be Parker but maybe he's still too new to the club. I don't think it's a good idea to give the armband to forwards.
I am not sure that the armband was the reason Berba played in that mood. He just loves playing late in the evening, as he mentioned on his Facebook page. ;)
"Everybody's assuming [Berbatov will go] but as far as I know he is a Man United player....my mistake. Oh my God. He's a Fulham player."
- Rene Meulensteen

Berserker

I think it's good that Berbie has the armband.  I think he really likes the challenge and feels more in control etc.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Tooting legend

Brownfc........Berbatov isn't  our vice captain Hughes is.

Brown@FFC

Quote from: Tooting legend on October 25, 2013, 12:32:49 PM
Brownfc........Berbatov isn't  our vice captain Hughes is.

When Hangeland didn't play last season, Hughes took his place, and Berbatov was still captain.

chiefo

Big Martin Jol

Parker would be excellent, but I think he's still too new to the club.

Hangeland, Ruiz and Karagounis are all team captains at international level - and Berbatov, Duff, Parker and Hughes have all captained their national teams either on a temporary basis or up until their retirement.

I imagine Berbatov will get it, he's listed as our vice captain on Wikipedia if that counts for anything. I think it went to Sidwell when both he and Hangeland were off the field at Crystal Palace.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

Never

Ugh. Good player but...I am not sure that this is a good idea. He tends to be somewhat a catalyst to the team performance. If we do well he excels and looks bright, if we don't he tends to get moody and all the arms waiving and posture and all that attitude doesn't help in tough moments. He gets frustrated quite easy in those games. More balanced player would be better, me think. I may be wrong, but I just don't see benefit of him being a captain. And like others say, a forward for a captain is kinda not the greatest idea regardless of the player. Mid player best choice in my opinion.

Count Berbatov

Quote from: Never on October 25, 2013, 06:58:58 PM
Ugh. Good player but...I am not sure that this is a good idea. He tends to be somewhat a catalyst to the team performance. If we do well he excels and looks bright, if we don't he tends to get moody and all the arms waiving and posture and all that attitude doesn't help in tough moments. He gets frustrated quite easy in those games. More balanced player would be better, me think. I may be wrong, but I just don't see benefit of him being a captain. And like others say, a forward for a captain is kinda not the greatest idea regardless of the player. Mid player best choice in my opinion.
Agreed. Defenders best choice. Midfielders, sure. You need someone who'll be on the pitch all the time, every game. Forwards are usually the first change to be made. They're also moody. Depend on their goalscoring form. Think it's the end of the world if they didn't score for a few games.
That said, Berba looked a different player and the team came back improved in the second half. Not sure how much it had to do with the captaincy, but it doesn't hurt to keep it same for another week
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

horse1031

scoring on monday has to help his confidence.  He was captain in the second half when hangers was subbed.  Sad to say, but I think he plays better when he is captain.  Possibly gives a little more effort??

SouthfieldWhite

Berbatov would be the last person I'd give the armband to, sets such a bad example, moaning at team mates

Captains should be encouraging team mates not moaning at them

Although there was a slight improvement at Palace, I still thought his movement was poor and still looks like a big time Charlie to me

I think Parker should be captain, he drives the team forward and is a natural  leader

epsomraver

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on October 26, 2013, 07:51:27 AM
Berbatov would be the last person I'd give the armband to, sets such a bad example, moaning at team mates

Captains should be encouraging team mates not moaning at them

Although there was a slight improvement at Palace, I still thought his movement was poor and still looks like a big time Charlie to me

I think Parker should be captain, he drives the team forward and is a natural  leader

:plus one:

KP_FFC

sidwell for me

parker if he was at the club for longer than a season

RidgeRider

Regardless of accepted practices, or who the proper player should be, if a catalytic figure like Berba plays with more intent because he has the armband, I say let him wear it.  Maybe it's exactly what he needs to focus his efforts. While I agree a hard working player with experience, like Sidwell or Parker, seems to be the better choices (I would prefer Riether myself), maybe in this case, picking the player who would be most positively impacted by that honor is the best choice.

DJinNJ

If we're saying the same team that started the second half against Palace should start against Southampton, then under the same theory we should probably have the same captain. And Berbatov has been the vice-captain, so to take it away from him would effectively be a demotion, which obviously isn't going to help matters. It seems that there would be better options if we're looking for a permanent replacement for Hangeland (seems being the key word, as it most of us were pleased to see Brede succeed Danny, but now most agree that he's not a leader), but if it's only for a few games it has to be Berbatov. Even if it was longer term, he should probably be the captain any time Brede isn't available this season. I'm assuming he was designated as the vice-captain, in which case I don't think there's any need to upset the apple cart, especially if our performances are improving when Berbatov is captain. Parker next season might be a good idea (and there's a good chance Berbatov won't be here anyway), though it would be a shame to have to take it away from Brede.

alfie

Quote from: RidgeRider on October 26, 2013, 02:19:52 PM
Regardless of accepted practices, or who the proper player should be, if a catalytic figure like Berba plays with more intent because he has the armband, I say let him wear it.  Maybe it's exactly what he needs to focus his efforts. While I agree a hard working player with experience, like Sidwell or Parker, seems to be the better choices (I would prefer Riether myself), maybe in this case, picking the player who would be most positively impacted by that honor is the best choice.

Personally i would give it to Senderos, you see him from start to finish talking to his team mates, encouraging and giving 100%.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

RidgeRider

Quote from: alfie on October 26, 2013, 03:40:56 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on October 26, 2013, 02:19:52 PM

Personally i would give it to Senderos, you see him from start to finish talking to his team mates, encouraging and giving 100%.

Also a good choice. There is no bigger cheerleader, literally and figuratively, on the side than Senderos. He oozes enthusiasm and appreciates the supporters as well.

SouthfieldWhite

For those who wanted Berbatov, well done, he really inspired the team today, Parker had to tell him to mark Lambert, which he then failed to do, absolute joke of a captain.
As for not having Parker cause he's new to the club? What that got to do with anything

Berbatov don't deserve his place in the team let alone captain it