watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

View from Southampton

Started by terryr, October 25, 2013, 01:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryr

"If ever there was a side to play with our style, Fulham would be it. 2 strikers who are isolated and anonymous for most of the game, supported by an ageing, lethargic midfield and defence, who will struggle with our pressing.

The same fixture last year was a microcosm of our early season form: a goal threat but let down by disorganised and ponderous defending. I hope this year will display our energy, confidence and perseverance the first 8 games have shown."

"Fulham aren't a bad side, and it will be very easy for us to slip up in this one. Berbatov and Bent will score goals if they get a sniff.

I like Sidwell in the middle and if Ruiz plays, they have a genuine link between the midfield and the front 2.

However, they are a very old side in general. They have 2 days less recovery time.

If we play as we can, we should keep them under wraps. The question mark is if we'll create enough against them, as they're the sort of team who will stick 2 banks of 4 behind the ball and sit. Will imagine this will be a tough watch!"

"Fulham have returned 1000 tickets so block 43 is now open for home fans."

"F*cking dreadful. Don't think we've ever not sold out an away allocation in London since we returned to the Prem. 3/4s of their fans were sat down for the full 90 minutes last season as well!"

"why is it dreadful. This is actually decent for Fulham"

"Premier League team, less than 100 miles away, lots of incentives for fans to travel, team won 4-1 in their last game...would've thought they'd take more than a couple of thousand. Even Reading sold out their allocation at SMS twice in 2 seasons!"

"There is that, i'm just amazed that any team in the top tier would take a small amount to a relatively close away game - maybe i've been spoiled by travelling with our lot these past few years.."

"It is pathetic but it doesn't come as a shock!"

"Although Fulham ran out easy winners against Palace last night they did not play particularly well or with much assurance. They tried to play a passing game of sorts but it was slow, not instinctive and often wayward. The speed and accuracy of our game should have them on the back-foot from the get-go. I honestly cannot see them scoring, on the other hand we're not much better in the 18 yard box and will struggle to improve on the odd goal bundled in in a goalmouth scramble so for me 1-0 to Saints, maybe 2-0 if they are generous enough to give us an own goal."

"Maybe Fulham's fans have been banned from travelling after their disgraceful behaviour at Palace...

Q: You came in for quite a bit of stick at the end from some sections of the fans as you walked off?

"......... I didn't like what they singing. Very disrespectful - can we play you every week?

http://www.slp.co.uk/sport.cfm?id=36...0it%20happened"

"Will Lambert return to the starting 11? Will Ramirez get a place on the bench? Think they're the only two things open to debate. I personally think both things should happen."

"Fulham are an odd team - got some players of real genuine quality, but overall as a team they look old, slow, tired. Definitely a game we should be looking to win and one which I'd like to think we could score a few in."

" do love the lazy "Fulham are an old side" post

Team that played CP -

01 Stekelenburg = 31
27 Riether = 30
15 Richardson = 29
07 Sidwell = 30
04 Senderos = 28
05 Hangeland = 32
10 Ruiz = 28
28 Parker = 33
39 Bent = 29
09 Berbatov = 32
08 Kasami = 21

Average age 29.36"

"Yeah, thats old....we should play at a very high intensity - they won't be able to deal with us."

"For comparison -

31 Boruc = 33
02 Clyne = 22
23 Shaw = 18
12 Wanyama = 22
06 Fonte = 29
05 Lovren = 24
20 Lallana = 25
04 Schneiderlin = 23
17 Osvaldo = 27
08 Davis = 28
09 Rodriguez = 24

Average age 25.0"

"This is going to be a tough one.

Fulham will park the bus and look to sting us on the break. With players like Berbatov they have the quality to do it too.

The smart money is on a tight win but I wouldn't be atall surprised if Fulham leave with a point.

It's games like this that test your credentials, if we are real about top 6 then Fulham need to be beat."

"would like to think we can cause their defence problems. Hangeland is always injured and senderos is no way good

its berbatov and bent that will cause us problems. I guess Kasami is the man of the moment now"

"his will be a difficult game. Fulham are no mugs and Berbatov in the hole will be a test for the cb's and Wanyama.

I think we'll scrape a 2-1 win. Perhaps Gaston from the bench with a late winner."

"Fulham will be on the crest of a wave after monday, Jol will have to ensure they are not complacent. I believe that we are in a prime position to utterly savage them, equally we will be in confident mood but still with something to prove after riding our luck a little v Man Utd.

Saints 3-0 Fulham.

Osvaldo to open the scoring with Wanyama getting one from a set piece. Either Rickie or Gaston will then wrap it up in the closing stages. Wanyama/Lovren/Fonte will keep the Fulham attack quiet"

"Our CB's and FB's have been immense and we have the best combative deep midfield pairing in the Prem with Wanyama and Morgan.

I watched the Fulham Palace game on Monday - Palace were really bad and Fulham really weren't great in large spells. We will get plenty of chances tomorrow and I think we'll take them. I don't expect Fulham to offer much going forward. We won't let them come at us like Palace did."

grandad

Where there's a will there's a wife

FFC1987

It's strange because most Saints I know are humble and pretty down to earth, obviously a little smug at the moment but the majority are just happy considering what could of happened to them. Some of these comments are really quite disrespectful. I guess if I flick through some pages on here I'd find some relating to other teams...Still grinds on me though.

Northern Cottager

I hope we turn them over. I bet they weren't selling out every week in League 1. Watch them plummet down the league to mediocrity and people will stop talking about them in a few games.

General

Should be interesting game you have a quite young and competitive team playing what you could say is an older but much more experienced team. We could turn them over easily on our day - bent berba are good enough to score hat tricks a piece when in form, berba s even scored five at one point and with our back five now being consolidated with amorebieta and stekelenberg I don't see us shipping as many as previously - in fairness only arsenal have undone us.

They're obviously high on confidence as a set of fans, but I don't think there are any clear cut games at the moment apart from maybe Sunderland and crystal palace.

The thing other fans fail to note too is that there has been quite a significant period of settling in quite a few new players to the starting line up - Parker, bent, amorebieta, stekelenberg along with the like of kasami all only just really starting to find their feet, whilst the others are starting to understand how each other plays. Berba and bent for example - we basically brought in an entirely new spine to our team, which everything considered in my opinion means we've got a lot of potential.

Crystal palace for me was the first game where we didn't play spectacularly but the players quality shone through... Nothing spectacular but still managed to thrash them. I sure Southampton will provide a sterner test, but if the players really are starting to enjoy playing together and are starting to get on the same wavelength and they actually build on that confidence gained then teams better start paying more attention to the club.

Squad wise, irrespective of age, with the talent we now have, we really should be in the top half and competing for Europa league spaces. Hopefully this season will prove me right.

FFC1987

At least Portsmouth show some class....... 086.gif

Deanothefulhamfan

In all honesty im not surprised by their comments.... I think southampton are very much the sort of side that will cause us huge problems. I think a draw would be a very decent result for us, I am just hoping their team thinks the same about Fulham as their fans do, and show some complecancy.

Thanks as always to Terry

Big Martin Jol

I'd love to bring them down a notch. Hope the boys can pull out a bit of a surprise.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

RidgeRider

Southampton supporters have every reason to believe they can beat us on their pitch. We are not that good. We've proved that fact over the course of the last two seasons. Just because we beat the worst team, with the lowest confidence in the Prem, doesn't suddenly make us a formidable side. Some of their comments are comments we've made about ourselves. I am happy we got three points off of Palace, but the habit of this team is too lose 2 or 3 in a row after winning a match. Until we prove otherwise, I will remain cautious with my enthusiasm about prospects against anyone because we've proven we are not a good team over and over again.

leonffc

I can't disagree with a lot they've written there tbh!!

However, I will add that I went to St. Mary's in their 1st or 2nd season there and not only did they lose 2-3 to QPR but their home support was so bad that QPR had more fans I think. The place was empty and only QPR sang

leonffc

PS. I went on company freebie and not in the QPR mob.

Bassey the warrior

To be fair they are playing really well right now, much better than us. They have to be the favourites. Question is will they convert their chances, they don't seem to score much. Sidwell and Parker must win the midfield battle.

Danitar

The key for me is to beat lallana and schneiderlin to the ball, do that and I think we have a strong chance of getting at least a point

Count Berbatov

Most of the comments in the OP were spot on though

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Enter the Frei

The first comment for me sums it up well. The Southampton side of this season is exactly the sort of side we normally have issues with. I expect nothing at all from this weekend despite our recent decent record against them.

Jem

Very full of yourself. Pride goes before a fall! S'oton are doing well this season but I think you need a longer track record before you deserve to be quite so cocky.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Fulham99

Sorry had to sign up and don't usually post but I was at ticket office at 4 o'clock and they said we sold 1400 and only sent 400 back and they will be available as pay on the gate

Riversider

Let's wind them right up tomorrow with this,
"" Play up Fulham, Fulham play up ""
082.gif

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Jem on October 25, 2013, 08:44:39 PM
Very full of yourself. Pride goes before a fall! S'oton are doing well this season but I think you need a longer track record before you deserve to be quite so cocky.
Fully agree with this comment.  They are playing well this season, but it is only 8 games.  Lets see the table in 3 months time.  Fancy a draw tomorrow 1-1. 
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Wingnut

Well the Saints fans have lost the run of themselves, as the saying goes over here. Barely a wet weekend back in the PL league and they are mouthing off like a top four team. A win tomorrow will shut them up. COYW.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.