watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

jol-our worst ever manager ???

Started by MAHLUF, October 27, 2013, 12:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

I think the brain is going.  Was it Hughes who signed Dembele Jol converted him to a midfielder

Andy S

The thing about comparing managers from years ago it is only the results that you can go on as with Vic Buckingham he never had to give post match interviews. However the players were a lot nearer to the public in those days. Training took place at the cottage and fish and chips as a pre match meal was the norm. Even getting drunk over Christmas and our 10-1 victory over Ipswich only to lose 1-0 in the return. It is a different game now.

the nutflush

Jol is just taking the pi55 now.  Those post match comments about refusing to blame Berbatov for our performance are a new all time low. 

Peabody

Quote from: Andy S on October 29, 2013, 09:59:39 AM
The thing about comparing managers from years ago it is only the results that you can go on as with Vic Buckingham he never had to give post match interviews. However the players were a lot nearer to the public in those days. Training took place at the cottage and fish and chips as a pre match meal was the norm. Even getting drunk over Christmas and our 10-1 victory over Ipswich only to lose 1-0 in the return. It is a different game now.

Sorry to contradict but I think you will find we lost 4-2 away to Ipswich.

LRCN

Quote from: HatterDon on October 29, 2013, 01:15:17 AM
Quote from: LRCN on October 28, 2013, 11:49:26 PM
we have not been playing well for a period of months now but haven't been seriously threatened by relegation in the 2 seasons hes been in charge and even now still find us one point away from the top 10 somehow, so no definitely not.

and two points away from the relegation zone

well when you put it like that he doesn't seem that bad at all

westcliff white

Quote from: Andy S on October 28, 2013, 08:03:14 PM
Alan dicks was in a class of his own for being the worst. Branfoot did at least bring Micky Adams to the club. Sanchez brought Hughes Baird and Bullard and Murphy to the club. Buckingham got rid of Marsh yet had a good team and got us relegated. Jol could yet be up there but you cannot judge him until the end

Sanchez didnt sign Bullard, Coleman did he met his release clause, Wigan could not play him after that.
Every day is a Fulham day

GrahamG

I think Jol is our worst in the Premiership era. Sanchez was universally unpopular but he did lose McBride and Bullard to injury (they came back in time to save Hodgson) and at least some of his signings (Murphy, Hughes, Baird, Kamara, Konchesky) made significant if not always consistent contributions. The team now is a complete mess and has been for a season at least. Jol will continue to play favourites and it's difficult to see how we can progress with him in charge.

bill taylors apprentice

Jol the worst? No.

Vic Buckingham took over and tried to modernize and change too much too soon. He moved on too many players and replaced them with poor replacements and veterans past their best.  
The likes of Marsh, Leggat, Langley, Keetch left and we never really recovered until MAF arrived.

The better times in modern history have generally been when we have had a manager who had the respect of everyone and a deep thinking coach supporting him. Stock/Taylor, MacDonald/Harford, Tigana/Damiano, Hodgson/Lewington.
Micky Adams may be the exception but he was the right man in the right place at that time.

Jol seemed to fit the bill as a respected and thoughtful manager who would bring a team of quality, modern coaching staff with him. Sadly this has not been the case

westcliff white

any manager coming in would play berbatov, it is doubtful any manager we could attract would have managed anyone like him style or personality wise.

For me we need to get back to last season 4-4-2 two out and out wide men with two up top, any manager coming in who wants to do that gets my vote, that's not saying i want jol out, but if we do change that's my preference right now. A midfield of Kaca, Kasami, Parker and Dejagah (if fit) with maybe 2 from Bent, Berba, Ruiz and Tarrabt up front
Every day is a Fulham day

ron

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on October 29, 2013, 01:22:31 PM
when we have had a manager who had the respect of everyone and a deep thinking coach supporting him. Stock/Taylor, McDonald/Harford, Tigana/Damiano.

....and a well known current England manager who took his first choice coach with him.

Quite a few of us now appreciate the éminence grise that was Ray Lewington, because the deterioration in our play and his departure look linked.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: ron on October 29, 2013, 01:35:25 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on October 29, 2013, 01:22:31 PM
when we have had a manager who had the respect of everyone and a deep thinking coach supporting him. Stock/Taylor, McDonald/Harford, Tigana

....and a well known current England manager who took his first choice coach with him.

Quite a few of us now appreciate the éminence grise that was Ray Lewington, because the deterioration in our play and his departure look linked.

Very True.
I missed the obvious one in my haste.

filham

Quote from: Peabody on October 27, 2013, 12:23:20 PM
To me, Vic Buckingham ranks up there, along with Dicks and Mackay, Sanchez also figures, so Jol has a long list in front of him

A defeat tonight, an early exit from the FA Cup and relegation would result in Jol becoming worst manager to date in front of those other candidates.

On the other hand a Wembley final and a top ten finish and he would be up there with the best.

MAHLUF

epsomraver

Vic Buckingham took over and tried to modernize and change too much too soon. He moved on too many players and replaced them with poor replacements and veterans past their best. 
The likes of Marsh, Leggat, Langley, Keetch left and we never really recovered until MAF arrived.

Sorry Bill but they were sold for the money against Buckingham's wishes, Jim Langley said so and it is well documented

ron

Quote from: epsomraver on November 10, 2013, 02:54:28 PM

Sorry Bill but they were sold for the money against Buckingham's wishes, Jim Langley said so and it is well documented

...but there is a humorous tale about what caused Keetch's departure, involving tap dancing and an invitation to go forth and multiply.........

MAHLUF

Lighthouse

From an established Prem side to a struggling side with little backbone. I think Jol is up there with the worst. He stills seems unsure of the side he has and how they should play. He is negative in the set up and frankly has been lost from day one. Yes it's silly comparing Jol with Dicks.

But on a personal level Dicks and Jol have been the managers who seem the most incapable of helping the team.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Andy S

It is no good pinning things on here comparing who is the worst manager as all circumstances are different. All I can see is they were all below the required standard. As far as Jol is concerned I think he has gone past his "sell by date"