News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

At the moment would you spend £50million on a new Riverside stand or....

Started by Steven Ageroad, October 28, 2013, 09:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Ageroad

spend it on new players?? Wolves went for a new stand and look where they are now!

Holders

When we built the Riverside in the first place, at the same time Portsmouth spent on players and look where they are now!

Actually, we need to do both as the stand will help to sustain the team so long as we do enough to stay up in the meantime.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

The Equalizer

You could spend £500Million on players and it wouldn't make a difference. The issue isn't with the players, it's with the moron managing them.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

epsomraver

Not the players, it is the manager, simple as that, beat me to it Mr E

Fulham76

Quote from: The Equalizer on October 28, 2013, 09:30:27 AM
You could spend £500Million on players and it wouldn't make a difference. The issue isn't with the players, it's with the moron managing them.

Exactly.

FFC1987

Another example of the stadium taking priority (not speculating it is but let's face it, we haven't been spending) is Ipswich, got champions league, built a new stand and got relegated. Without Jol will we be better? With Jol will it get better? Tough decision but I fail to see some people's view that its objectively down to Jol. Very flawed argument in my view.

Barrie

But we are missing quality in key positions still and have an ageing team.  Not that I'm defending Jol any longer.

Nero

Buying players is short term investment  the stand is long term investment that will allow buying players.  Short term sack jabba bring in hans solo no need to buy players

Buffalo76

Quote from: Fulham76 on October 28, 2013, 09:59:58 AM

Exactly.

:plus one:

alfie

1/2 agree 1/2 don't because as much as the manager decides the tactics, it is the players who pass to the opposition or make defensive errors or attacking errors, i am very much of the view that the players MUST take a big part of the resposibility.

I personally do not think our players are good enough, even if Jol had changed it at 1/2 time it would not have made much difference.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ToodlesMcToot

Sorry. Can't absolve the players in this. They're professionals. They know how to defend set pieces and still just blatantly ignore their responsibilities. They get paid handsomely because they supposedly know how to defend, yet they turn their backs on the ball while defending their man. They're internationals, but flounder under pressure, don't show for the ball, and have little awareness of their surroundings when they possess the ball. Playing from behind they do more passing in the defensive third than they do going forward. Jeez, I don't feel too uncomfortable saying that Stek saw more of the ball while we were in possession of it than Bent did.

Yes, it's resulting from tactical decisions, but it's just as much down to professional and very experienced players just flat out not earning their paychecks.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

grandad

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on October 28, 2013, 01:27:55 PM

Sorry. Can't absolve the players in this. They're professionals. They know how to defend set pieces and still just blatantly ignore their responsibilities. They get paid handsomely because they supposedly know how to defend, yet they turn their backs on the ball while defending their man. They're internationals, but flounder under pressure, don't show for the ball, and have little awareness of their surroundings when they possess the ball. Playing from behind they do more passing in the defensive third than they do going forward. Jeez, I don't feel too uncomfortable saying that Stek saw more of the ball while we were in possession of it than Bent did.

Yes, it's resulting from tactical decisions, but it's just as much down to professional and very experienced players just flat out not earning their paychecks.

:plus one:
Where there's a will there's a wife

MJG

They do know how to defend but lets go back to the corner the other day and Jol's quotes afterwards
' maybe before the game we should have told Berbatov to go on Rickie Lambert'

Well if Berbatov was not told pre match to mark Lambert who was?
Was anyone?
Did they work on who marks who?
Who scouted Southampton prior to this match?

This is what we keep seeing..no match plan. Its just pick Xi and send them out almost Sunday league style.

RidgeRider

In the reality I hope that our owner would invest in both, however, if you gave me a choice, I think we should invest in the new stand, then more more money towards players. The players we have at the club now are quality. As a unit, they are not playing well at the moment. What we should expect from this group is what we saw against Everton, so the quality exists already. There is not a pundit out there, who don't think we have good players.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: MJG on October 28, 2013, 01:45:47 PM

They do know how to defend but lets go back to the corner the other day and Jol's quotes afterwards

Was anyone?

This is what we keep seeing..no match plan. Its just pick Xi and send them out almost Sunday league style.

I never count Jol's comments as matter of fact. There's always some innuendo.

But let's consider that Berbatov really didn't know that Lambert was his man. When he looked around, saw Lambert and saw no one within five yards of a proven goal scorer and a fairly high caliber header of the ball, shouldn't a player with his vast experience....and being the freaking captain of the team....have at very least said something to alert his teammates before covering absolutely nobody?

Heck, I only ever play pickup games...no league. If I'm defending a corner, I'm at very least going to make sure that I'm impeding someone from moving within my own 18. He makes 60 grand a week and decides it's best to cover empty space. Inexcusable. Plan or no plan.

These professionals are forgetting/ignoring things they were taught to do as school children.

alfie

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on October 28, 2013, 02:06:14 PM

Was anyone?

But let's consider that Berbatov really didn't know that Lambert was his man. When he looked around, saw Lambert and saw no one within five yards of a proven goal scorer and a fairly high caliber header of the ball, shouldn't a player with his vast experience....and being the freaking captain of the team....have at very least said something to alert his teammates before covering absolutely nobody?

Heck, I only ever play pickup games...no league. If I'm defending a corner, I'm at very least going to make sure that I'm impeding someone from moving within my own 18. He makes 60 grand a week and decides it's best to cover empty space. Inexcusable. Plan or no plan.

These professionals are forgetting/ignoring things they were taught to do as school children.

But let's consider that Berbatov really didn't know that Lambert was his man

Parker actually took Berbatov over to Lambert and told him to mark him, then he just ignored him.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Vinnieffc

Quote from: alfie on October 28, 2013, 07:00:07 PM

Was anyone?

Parker actually took Berbatov over to Lambert and told him to mark him, then he just ignored him.

Spot on. Parker actually pointed at Lambert and was obviously telling Berba to mark him. As usual he did his own thing and went waalkabout aimlessly in the box. Bad and needless goal to concede. I love Berba but he is now a liability. BerbaOut.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: alfie on October 28, 2013, 07:00:07 PM

Was anyone?

Thanks for correcting my poor memory......something I'm somewhat thankful for when it comes to losses like this one.

Your reminder does nothing good for my mood with regard to Fulham though.  :54:

Forever Fulham

A stadium or new players?   What good is a stadium if we go down?  We need 3-4 quality players who can thrive regardless of the manager.  A creative attacking center mid.  A left back.  A big target man to get Ruiz, Berbatov, and Kasami opportunities.  A winger who can penetrate with pace.  And a new training ground staff to whip the players into shape and teach them how to break high pressure defending.  By now, every club in the EPL has a video of the Southampton game--a blueprint for how to play Fulham through the end of the season...  Few will be able to come close to Southampton's ability to execute it.  But some will have a go at it.