News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is it a Berbatov problem, or a Fulham one?

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, October 30, 2013, 11:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

On the social media, I've seen many a complaint about Dimitar Berbatov's ability, heart and work-rate, so I thought I'd try to delve a bit deeper. Let's be honest, a player of Dimitar's ability doesn't just go, as for his work-rate, that's just Berba all over, that's who he is.

I thought I'd look at the average line up from his most prolific seasons at both Tottenham and Manchester United. They both have natural width and pace, as well as a hardworking striking partner. The midfield was also paired with a so-called tackler, and a dictator, by that I mean a Xavi/Murphy, not a Hitler/Gaddafi.

At Spurs:                                                                                                  At Manchester United:

Lennon Jenas Zokora Malbranque                                                           Valencia Carrick Fletcher Nani
          Berbatov                                                                                                    Berbatov
           Keane                                                                                                        Rooney             

And if we compare that to Fulham so far this year, to last year.

Last season:                                                                                           This season:

Dejagah Karagounis Sidwell Kacaniklic                                         Ruiz Sidwell Parker Kasami
                        Ruiz                                                                               Berbatov
                    Berbatov                                                                             Bent

Again, I could be waffling and over thinking the situation but I believe there's a possible correlation in quality with Berbatov having width, a warrior-passer midfield partnership and a hard working forward partner. Just a though.

***Before you tear my head off about Ruiz hard working ability, I think he was one of the top defensive forwards in the league last season though I haven't got the statistics to hand.

Jack Fulham

Its a Jol problem. We have some great players but right now they're badly coached. Under Hodgson we had a plan, a system that we stuck too. Under Jol, I don't see one. You only have to watch the Southampton game to see which team knew what its job was.

Deanothefulhamfan

Interesting point FPT, I still think dejegah missing is our biggest problem, and it would reflect what you are saying...

Think Berba has left the club mentally though unfortunately

RaySmith

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on October 31, 2013, 05:03:39 AM
Interesting point FPT, I still think dejegah missing is our biggest problem, and it would reflect what you are saying...

Think Berba has left the club mentally though unfortunately
Will Jol still play him if that's the case? - his own job is on the line.

I think he generally has worked hard at Fulham - in his own way- but against Soton we seemed completely outclassed and out fought -is it right to blame one man?

He is a luxury player, I suppose, but who have we got in the squad to replace him and his ability? Remember those 15 goals last season.

Deanothefulhamfan

Oh yeah Ray, I agree.... You only need to check my posts to know I am not against berbatov completley.

I just feel he is not suited to our system that Jol persists with, and I feel he is not motivated to be at Fulham anymore. He was the worst he has been all season at Southampton, and arguably at fault for Lamberts goal. He needs to feel loved and to regain some confidence to show what he did last season, but I don't see that changing soon.

I actually wondered if giving him the armband would sort him out mentally but Im not so sure on that anymore.

westcliff white

if we play with two pacey out and out wide men as we did last season then berba will bang in the goals , yes he will still be lethargic around the pitch yes he will still throw his arms up but no one will care if he is scoring. 4-4-2. Assuming everyone is fit and on the top of their game (something we have seen neithe rof this season to date) I would go with

Stek

Reither
Hangeland
Amorebieta / Senderos
Richardson / Amoreibieta

Dejagah
Parker
Kasami
Kaca

Berba
Bent

As i say that assumes everyone is fit, healthy and playing well.
Every day is a Fulham day

The Old Count

The problem is

1. FITNESS.  We look the least physically set up team in the Prem.  I have heard that we do not have a modern dedicated regime for conditioning and fitness training that we had under Roy and Sparky and to be honest it shows.

2. Tactics. They don't fit some of the players we have.  Some of the team are being told to play a certain way that does not suit them. Consequently they look error prone and confused.  Doing this is the most certain way of draining a players confidence.

As for Berba...he needs a bit more managing. That is, he needs to have his sensibilities managed but still be encouraged to behave in a team-centric manner.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on October 31, 2013, 08:22:08 AM

I actually wondered if giving him the armband would sort him out mentally but Im not so sure on that anymore.

Good point about the armband, he may feel a bigger responsibility and improve his own performances in cohesion with being captain. Simple psychological changes could help, actually taking it away from Hangeland could also work in our favour.

The Wild Goat

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on October 31, 2013, 02:27:07 PM
Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on October 31, 2013, 08:22:08 AM

Good point about the armband, he may feel a bigger responsibility and improve his own performances in cohesion with being captain. Simple psychological changes could help, actually taking it away from Hangeland could also work in our favour.
I agree Hangeland hasn't been the same player since he was made captain, personally I would make Parker the captain.

Riverside

Its a Jol problem
Berba is still our most talented individual .
But when he sulks and rips into his team mates he is bad for the team .

If there was a manager that would actually sub or even drop him the result would be one of the following

1) when on the pitch he would be trying and supporting team mates
2) or he would not be playing

Either of these are better than what we have currently

grandad

Berbatov is used to playing with top class players so he can play his own game knowing that the rest of his team can do the grafting. With us we do not have the players anywhere near the class he is used to. This is why he plays all over the pitch looking for some sort of service.He was a one season wonder last season but this year with key injuries & some players hitting poor form it is not working.
The answer , I suppose, is a bit of both.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ToodlesMcToot

For me, the problem with Berba is that his presence on the field requires everyone to play to his strengths and desires. As a club, we cant afford such a player, especially not one at his age and stage of his career.

His wage could be much better spent IMO.

I don't absolve management though. They chose him. They apparently defer to him.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude