more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (31/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 31, 2013, 04:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

We shot ourselves in the foot, admits Fulham defender

John Arne Riise admits Fulham only have themselves to blame after they were dumped out of the Capital One Cup by Leicester City last night .

Hugo Rodallega gave the Whites the lead, only for blunders from Maarten Stekelenburg and Philippe Senderos to put the Championship club in the driving seat.

The game looked like heading for extra time as both sides traded blows after the break, but a last-gasp Lloyd Dyer strike earned Leicester a 4-3 win.

And Riise says Martin Jol's men shot themselves in the foot.

He admitted: "We've only got ourselves to blame. We sat back and they came back with two goals. We won't be happy with that.

"It could be down to concentration or whatever, but we shouldn't have lost those two goals.

"After being 1-0 up we should've killed the game off. We were sloppy with some passing, which gave them some chances.

"It was tough to take, especially after coming back from 3-1 down. It's a big blow but they worked hard and played well.

"All credit to Leicester. They proved why they are in the top two of the Championship."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shot-ourselves-foot-admits-fulham-6253779?

WhiteJC

Adel's Anguish

Adel Taarabt was left gutted after an 89th-minute strike from Lloyd Dyer condemned Fulham to defeat in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday evening.

Having initially taken the lead, the Whites found themselves 3-1 down to Leicester City only to storm back with two goals before Dyer's heartbreaking winner, and Taarabt was frustrated that Fulham were unable to control the game having opened the scoring.

"We were 3-1 down and I think we did so well to come back to 3-3," he told fulhamfc.com. "But then 30 seconds or a minute after we equalised, we concede another goal.

"If it had gone to extra-time then I think we would have won the game, but that's football for you. We should have killed them once we scored the first goal but we stopped playing when we really should have scored a second and a third goal to kill the game."

The Foxes proved to be worthy opponents at the King Power Stadium and, with Nigel Pearson's men flying high in the Sky Bet Championship, Taarabt admitted Leicester would have gone into the match with real optimism.

"They had nothing to lose because they came up against a Premier League team and they don't have the opportunity to do that every weekend," Adel explained. "So it was a chance for them to show that they can fight against a Premier League side and that's what they did and they won so it was unlucky for us but good for them.

"Of course when you play a Championship side they always look forward to playing against a Premier League team so for them it's like a Champions League game. They are doing well and they are full of confidence as they're in the top two in the Championship."

A major plus from the tie was Taarabt's return to action as he made his first appearance for a month, and the Morocco international showed plenty of glimpses of what Fulham fans can come to expect and enjoy when he's back at full fitness.

"For me it was a good game to have 90 minutes," he admitted. "Although obviously I would have loved to win because it was the Quarter-Finals after so we're all disappointed but we have to recover from this quickly for the weekend.

"It was nice to play the whole game because I didn't think I would play 90 minutes but I felt good after the game and I think I would have been fine to play extra-time too because all three substitutions had been made. For me, it's good because for one month I had pain in my ankle and now I can take the positives from playing 90 minutes."

Things don't get any easier for the Whites with Manchester United visiting the Cottage on Saturday before a trip to Anfield seven days later, but Taarabt wants to see his side embrace these big fixtures and go all out to secure as many points as possible.

"We've got two big games now against Man United and Liverpool and we have to do everything we can to try and get points," he said. "Obviously Man United is a very hard game but we're at home and we have to look forward to getting points off good teams.

"We didn't get anything against Southampton – who are another good side – so at home we have to look to take maximum points."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/30/adels-anguish?

WhiteJC

Dimitar Berbatov: A troubled genius in need of some tough love?

Dimitar Berbatov's gutless display for Fulham against Southampton at the weekend showed the underlying concerns of a troubled genius.

Dimitar Berbatov is famed for his lackadaisical and unorthodox style. His strolling of the pitch makes him appear aloof, a maverick, but one whose work rate has been called into question all too many times in his high profile career.

I ask, is it time that Martin Jol gave Dimitar some tough love?

Berbatov arrived at Craven Cottage in late August 2012, leaving behind Old Trafford in the process. It signalled Berbatov's return to London, following a three-year spell at Tottenham Hotspur, before a £40m move saw him join Sir Alex Ferguson's ranks at Manchester United in 2008.

Somewhat of a cult hero, Berbatov's languid approach to the beautiful game has frustrated many, notably Sir Alex Ferguson. Whilst he has always been known for being able to produce something out of nothing, being capable of turning a game on its head or providing a moment of inspiration to drive his team forward, many have been able to overlook his deficiencies when it came to work rate.

The Bulgarian's game appears serene, composed and never appears anything less than within a status of complete control. Often, this has been interpreted as laziness. His ability to bring team-mates into play with a deft flick, or a quick burst of technical play has won his many admirers.

Questions over his commitment remain.

This was perhaps best demonstrated last Saturday. Featuring in the late kick-off, in which Fulham visited St. Mary's Stadium to face Southampton, Berbatov's laid back character gave way to a portrayal of frustration and lack of interest. Having been pressed fast and hard by Southampton's back-line and the combative Victor Wanyama, it appeared that Berbatov's interest in the game was waning.

When Rickie Lambert scored the opener for Southampton from a set-piece, a quick glance at the replays confirmed that Lambert was supposed to have been marked by, you guessed it... Dimitar.

What made the replays all the more galling for Fulham supporters was that Scott Parker had led Berbatov to Lambert, repeatedly instructing the Bulgarian maverick to "mark Lambert!"

In truth, Parker could have done little more to assist the former Manchester United man, unless he had been prepared to hold his hand and do the job himself. The logic made sense, place the towering presence of Berbatov against the towering presence of Lambert. However, no sooner had Ward-Prowse whipped in the corner, Berbatov had taken his eye off the prize, allowing Lambert to stroll away to head in Jay Rodriguez's flick on at the far post. Parker's head was in his hands, and rightly so.

Whilst there is no doubting the immense attacking contribution Berbatov can bring to a side, especially one such as Fulham, who at times found themselves rescued by the brilliance of Berbatov, there comes a stage where the question has to be asked.

Can Fulham afford to carry Berbatov anymore?

You will find little greater evidence of a 'passenger' in a game than Berbatov's display against Southampton. Disinterested, petulant and non-plussed, Berbatov painted the image of a man who had little interest in competing, and very little interest in the end result. Disregarding his lack of effort towards marking Lambert, Berbatov appeared unprepared to pressure the opponent. In addition, when Berbatov was felled by Croatian defender Dejan Lovren and his Southampton compatriots, Berbatov showed appetite only for bemoaning his luck to the referee.

A strange outcome, considering the importance placed on his relationship with Martin Jol, and the importance of Jol's management in encouraging Berbatov's move to join the Cottages in West London. Even stranger, when you consider that Jol's future has been the subject of much speculation in recent weeks.

With just one goal in the first nine games of the 2013/14 Premier League season, and with Fulham languishing just two points above the relegation zone, perhaps it's time Martin Jol gave Dimitar some tough love.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013/10/30/ca-dimitar-berbatov-a-troubled-genius-in-need-of-some-tough-love/?

WhiteJC

Wales boss Chris Coleman in frame for the vacant managerial position at Crystal Palace

Wales manager Chris Coleman has become a leading contender to become the next manager at Premier League basement club Crystal Palace.

Former Fulham manager Coleman is struggling to agree terms over a new contract with the Football Association of Wales and is considering the Selhurst Park vacancy created by Ian Holloway's departure last Tuesday.

Coleman is reported to be keen on leading his old club fight for survival and wants his friend and fellow former Palace central defender Kit Symons to be his assistant.

Bookmakers have installed Coleman as second favourite for the job behind former Stoke manager Tony Pulis after taking a flurry of bets.

Pulis is staying coy about his chances if taking the Palace post and said about returning to management: 'It has to be right for all concerned.

'I've had a good break and enjoyed it. It's been lovely to be home with the family but I'm starting to get itchy feet.

'I think it has just got to be right and it has got to be right for everybody. You talk about taking over at a club if a club wants you, but it has also got to be right for the manager going in there.

'Whether it is clubs that people have talked about or not, it is just finding the right fit, and, hopefully, one of those will come along pretty quickly."

Palace have spoken to Martin O'Neill, who has been unemployed since Sunderland sacked him in March, but reports in Ireland suggest he is not keen.

Former Birmingham, Aston Villa and Rangers manager Alex McLeish, ex-Charlton chief Alan Curbishley and former Chelsea and Portsmouth manager Avram Grant have also been linked with he job while Neil Warnock could make a return to the club.

No decision is expected before the weekend and caretaker coach Keith Millen will be in charge for Saturday's Premier League outing at West Brom.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/30/wales-boss-chris-coleman-in-frame-for-the-vacant-managerial-position-at-crystal-palace-4166924/?

WhiteJC

Fulham chairman seems content with failure but fans are not – time to sack Martin Jol

A 4-3 defeat to Leicester in the Capital One Cup has proved to be the final straw for many Fulham fans (Picture: Getty Images)

There are only so many insipid performances that a group of even the most devoted, understanding fans can endure before they begin to ask the most damning question of all – should Martin Jol be sacked?

The answer has not been so immediately obvious of late. While performances have been consistently dire, results have meandered – some in Jol's favour, many not. The wins over Stoke City and Crystal Palace, for example, have helped hide an underlying attitude of innate inferiority.

However, the 4-3 defeat to Championship side Leicester City on Tuesday evening was the evidence we all needed that, under Jol, Fulham are taking backwards steps; receding into the lower league entity from which we battled so hard to leave.

We have become complacent, safe in the thought that such a talented group of individuals will find form eventually

It's not as simple as the Dutchman being a bad manager – his record is too glowing for that. He is a premium manager but not at the right club. Some people just do not suit some teams. Jol does not suit Fulham.

He is too audacious for us. His reluctance to defend is the root of many of our problems. His team selection is fancy, yes, but impractical. Fulham need pragmatism and that has been shown in the success of Roy Hodgson and, dare I say it, Mark Hughes. We don't need Jol and Jol, quite frankly, would be better off without us.

Conceding four goals against Leicester shows that. Mustering one shot against Southampton shows that. The lack of enthusiasm, energy and camaraderie shows that.

We have become complacent, safe in the thought that such a talented group of individuals will find form eventually. But it's been almost a year since we have truly performed well for 90 minutes, and it's a downwards slope that is only getting steeper. Jol has built a very good squad, that much is clear, but he is not the man to get the best out of them.

So what will it take for Shahid Khan to pull the trigger? Nobody knows. And that is the unfortunate side effect of a new chairman. We don't know his personality or his patience. It could be two, three or maybe four more truly gutless performances before Khan sits up and realises he can make a difference here.

His running of the Jacksonville Jaguars shows that, while wealthy, he seems content with failure. Unfortunately, it's a little different in SW6.

We don't expect trophies or silverware, but we expect a certain degree of effort and, given the squad we have, relegation should not be a genuine concern.

It is now, though, and for that reason, Jol needs to go. Sooner rather than later.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/30/fulham-chairman-seems-content-with-failure-but-fans-are-not-time-to-sack-martin-jol-4166793/?

WhiteJC

Direness part 2
By rich on October 30, 2013
Via something White Noise posted on twitter/

This looks at shots/shots allowed, too.

Fulham summary:

Relegation candidate #3. Fulham have been historically terrible – only 7 teams in the past 12 seasons have had a 9 game stretch where they had a TSR of 0.300 or lower. Fulham have done that against the easiest set of opponents of any Premiership team this season.. Amazing.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/direness-part-2/?

WhiteJC

Hurricane Khan: Martin the Eye of the Storm
by CHRIS GILBERTSON on OCTOBER 30, 2013

So, another loss was compounded by another tactically absent performance last night

Having taken the decision, a few weeks ago, to take an emotional step back from Fulham for a little while, I must confess my life has been quite refreshing. Following the draw with West Brom and the loss to Cardiff quite a few fans, myself included, whipped ourselves up into quite the frenzy. What good can come from that?

In the meantime, Fulham have won a fortuitous home victory against a toothless and tactically mis-managed Stoke, beat a hapless Crystal Palace thanks to two world class goals, lost abysmally to Southampton and gone out of a cup that we were lucky to still be in after being the second best team in the victories over both Burton and Everton. In essence, we are back to square one.

Except there's now one major difference, this time around nearly the entire social media-active fanbase is in a frenzy. Last night saw an enormous number of impassioned cries for heads on spikes, and one head in particular.

There appears to be a head-in-the-sand mentality in the club's hierarchy : "If we keep our heads down, maybe the supporters will forget there's a systematic problem". Random acts of individual brilliance will only get you so far, but they do work in temporarily deflecting attention. They have also, frustratingly, saved Martin Jol's job on more than one occasion already.

Had Hugo Rodallega not equalised at Burton Albion, we could be several months into a new regime. We could already be talking about an integrated tactical system and optimistic youth development, rather than an absence of tactics and youth getting a maximum of one representative in the first team at a time.

Therein lies the problem. The current on-pitch management of Fulham is tactially inept, though it almost feels wrong to use the word inept as that implies there are tactics. There don't seem to be any at all. The chosen pathway for the first team appears more akin to chaos theory than the beautiful game. Jol's mantra of putting eleven men on the field, a couple of whom are still within a few years of their prime, in the vague hope that perhaps they will magic three points is becoming so blindingly frustrating that I'm sure it's not just the fans who are getting ready to lay down their arms in exasperation.

As time presses on, what is becoming increasingly evident and worrying is the off-field management's refusal to address the issues at hand. Last week saw Shahid Khan, our undeniably charismatic new owner, in London as his Jacksonville Jaguars were in town for the first of their four annual matches at Wembley. What became increasingly obvious during this visit is that the pigskin form of football is where his priorities lie, at least they seemingly do for now. When your football club becomes third on the list of your owners' business priorities, it takes special day-to-day management to keep the ship straight.

Fulham's Board of Directors now consists of four men – the aforementioned Khan and Mark Lamping, his right hand man from Jacksonville and the lone non-exec Director of FFC, along with CEO Alistair Mackintosh and Finance Director Sean O'Laughlin. Mackitosh and O'Laughlin have to run the business, covering every management role from Director of Football to Operations. Yes, there is a management board in place, but show me another successful limited company with a turnover stretching into nine figures with a board of this size and I'll show you a pig that can fly.

While both Mackintosh and O'Laughlin appear football savvy, and both are genuine fans of the game, to give them what is akin to day-to-day absolute power is a considerable risk from Khan. If I were buying a £200m business in an industry I had no idea about, I might look to take an expert or five with me, just to make sure those already running the business there were doing a decent job.

At Fulham, there is seemingly nobody there to view the situation from a step back. Perhaps then, it is no surprise that decisions are taking longer to be made than they should. Football is not the NFL, a season of failure followed by retrospective accountability, as was the formula in Jacksonville, is not a viable plan here. Relegation looms large. Operational synergy can get you a sponsor or two, but it doesn't win matches and to downgrade the club's ambitions to mere survival is, at this stage, tantamount to heresy when Mohamed Al-Fayed spent over a decade working hard so that Fulham could look forward, and not back.

Last week's Google session with Khan and several fans was little short of orchestrated gimmickry under the watchful eyes of the ever-controlling Fulham press department. Khan's answers to the mostly pre-determined questions were bland, non-committal and largely unsatisfactory. Did you wonder why none of the mainstream press picked up the session despite doubtlessly being sent to all of them in a press release.

When asked about young players, Khan was justifiably able to tout Kasami thanks to his wonder-strike the night before, though he ignored the fact Pajtim was the only player under-25 on the pitch for FFC that night. When asked about ticket prices, he spouted nonsense about players wages, and when asked about the Riverside Stand he refused to say anything concrete despite the planning application receiving full planning permission in July.

The press interviews that circulated with Shahid Khan on Friday were, on the other hand, rather impressive. Khan is a master of neutral audience PR. Talk of respecting heritage and operational synergy sounds great to a less heart-invested mind who won't ask "how?".

I don't want to indefinitely judge the man on the basis of his first three or so months. Coming into the Premier League as a self-confessed football newbie must be incredibly daunting, even if he chose to pay £200m for the privilege and lives on another continent. He clearly invests emotion in the team as was shown by his celebrations at Palace. Perhaps we can only hope he becomes a fan like us. It is, after all, important for an owner to remember why football clubs were founded in the first place.

The next three months will prove crucial in Fulham's season and in Khan's tenure as custodian. If the head-in-the-sand management continues past January, the trouble that's been brewing will have become a fully-fledged superstorm, and we all know how much the UK press love a storm. Should Martin Jol's management stretch much beyond a loss to Manchester United in three days' time, Khan may find a few more people, rightly or wrongly, turning the focus of their attention to his chairmanship.

He could of course prove the ruthless and demanding Chairman that there are whispers he is behind the wide smile. Should Martin Jol's charge come to an end in the hours or days to come that is only the first half the job. Choosing the correct replacement is a far harder task than simply deciding whether or not to pull the trigger. But losing can become an indelible habit and without stage one of the process, the club cannot expect to move forward.

This quagmire has been developing for some time; Khan's arrival has merely fallen at a time when affirmative action was needed, not a period of learning and indolence. Under-spending, indifferent results and poor performances stretch back beyond the short term memory of just this season. Time has been and gone, and now come again, for something to change, and change very soon. If it doesn't, then I doubt I would be the only fan taking a step back, and I'm not sure how that fits into the Chairman's plan for a sustainable business.

COYWs

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/10/hurricane-khan-martin-the-eye-of-the-storm/?

jarv

Hammyend's comment "losing can become an indelible habit" It already has. You can see it in the players body language, they look afraid and look like they know they are going to lose every time they step on the pitch now.

Joe McDonald

Quote from: jarv on October 31, 2013, 11:48:44 AM
Hammyend's comment "losing can become an indelible habit" It already has. You can see it in the players body language, they look afraid and look like they know they are going to lose every time they step on the pitch now.

not sure that is true, look at the way the team celebrated ogether when the goals were flying in at Selhurst Park.  Does the negative atmosphere at Craven Cottage influence their performance?  AVB has said the Spurs players are feelingthe pressure/expectation at White Hart Lane...