https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Heroic defeat or abject anhialation

Started by nose, October 31, 2013, 04:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Count

Quote from: alfie on November 01, 2013, 08:13:34 AM
Quote from: nose on October 31, 2013, 04:38:56 PM
on saturday will we give the champions a real test, challenging for every ball, chasing every lost cause, playing as a finely tuned well drilled unit but yet still failing to manage to get a well deserved win because the ref gave them a last minute penalty when rooney was challenged 15 yards outrside the penalty area and then allowed carrick to punch the ball in from a corner moments later.

OR

will we do what we have done all season and play in a second rate, couldn't care less, slow motion, disorganized manner and lose in an embarrassing fashion being at least 3 down by half time and only not losing by more because utd. took their foot off the gas pedal

I have ruled out a scenario of draw or win because I cannot conceive how the current manager will pick a team capable of managing either of those eventualities.

that is the trouble my friend we do not have anyone good enough, so it really does not matter who he picks, we will see on Saturday, take a look at Utd bench and then look at ours, even if he changed personel during the first half it won't make much difference. HE has not got the players.

Can't say I agree that we don't have the players.
Even some good players look bad when asked to play in a way that they don't understand.

Here's an interesting quote from Mark Lawrenson about Southampton's Lallana.

"Lallana is a modern-day footballer in that he can play in different attacking positions, and he also understands whatever he is asked to do. That is half the battle because a lot of players don't."

A lot of our players do not and are not comfortable.  Managers like Roy, and others, understand this. Others like Jol (and Ray Wilkins a I mentioned before) don't.

A less intransient manager would be able to put out a good team, playing in a certain way that would give United a game.

CorkCity

4 or 5 nil to Fulham, win the next 10 games, push for a European spot.
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

TonyGilroy

Quote from: CorkCity on November 01, 2013, 11:13:52 AM
4 or 5 nil to Fulham, win the next 10 games, push for a European spot.

and then wake up.

bill taylors apprentice

United have not really got going this season and some one is due a spanking and I fear it will be us.

Any optimism has drained away from me so I predict 1-5

Burt

I mentioned this on another post but I am actually looking forward to this game in a macabre sort of way as I have no expectation of anything other than a defeat.

Playing against teams outside of the top 5 you would ordinarily think that we have a decent chance. So there is an expectation. And when it all goes Pete Tong that is when I get most disappointed.

So I won't be disappointed if we lose tomorrow, it will meet rather than fail to meet my (low) expectations.

Glad to have cleared that up.