watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Prog Rock Music - Friday night music thread

Started by LBNo11, January 29, 2010, 10:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...I envisage this may be the smallest thread in the history of FOF, but I confess I love the Prog Rock genre. I like all sorts of music including early 10th to 15th century music but whenever I mention Prog Rock, even to contempories, I see their eyes glaze over! It is a sort of fusion of rock, jazz with a hint of psychedelia.

The most well known Prog Rock band would be Pink Floyd, but there are hundreds of others who twist and turn it all sorts of ways. Bands like King Crimson, Soft Machine, Tangerine Dream, Egg, Gong, Van Der Graaf Generator, Genesis, Rush to the new kids on the block (no not NKOTB) Wooden Shjips, Acid Mothers Temple, The Bevis Frond, AMM and The Mars Volta.

So am I the only FOFfer with this taste in music..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

finnster01

No you most certainly are not Mr LB. You left out Yes and the keyboard wizardry of Rick Wakeman and Jethro Tull. I even would throw in Jeff Beck and Procul Harum in the lot, although they were probably more inspirations and precursors.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

os5889

Jethro Tull as well as The Nice (especially Ars Longa Vita Brevis) are timeless (Im only a young un and appreciate them!) Mr LB you're making me reach for the old 12" records

LBNo11

...sorry Finn, I am as 'thick as a brick'...

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsCyC1dZiN8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pr5QFDsUQE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U    there you go for start 8)

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

and for a bit of modern Prog Rock there can only be one Band            
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U

Scrumpy

I have a wide range of musical tastes, but if pushed to name my favourite - it would have to be Pink Floyd. Other groups come and go, but I don't think I've ever been without a Floyd CD in the car from aged 17 onwards. Love 'em.

I know Tangerine Dream and Genesis - but I'll have to try some of those others.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

LBNo11

...Scrumpy, I recommend Gong, they are heavily influenced by my other Barrett hero - Syd, lots of humour as well as amazing music.

Many of the bands CD's are difficult to get in the high street, HMV only stock the obvious sellers, supermarkets and high street shops only sell dumbed down music for the masses. Try The Hut.com for great prices and an amazing range of musical tastes.

Happily surprised by the response to this thread, I didn't expect more than one reply..!

RidgeRider

When I think of Tangerine Dream I always daydream of getting busy with a young Rebecca De Mornay. Yowza!

finnster01

To me this is the ultimate Fulham song: A Whiter Shade of Pale. I give you the Procol Harum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8jJ1ORIOes&feature=PlayList&p=C398EFED598BF162&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=53

If this doesn't get you excited with your lady I don't know what will.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

Quote from: finnster01 on January 30, 2010, 12:17:36 AM
To me this is the ultimate Fulham song: A Whiter Shade of Pale. I give you the Procol Harum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8jJ1ORIOes&feature=PlayList&p=C398EFED598BF162&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=53

If this doesn't get you excited with your lady I don't know what will.

Holy crap. I remember that song, I know that song...it's a great song. I always thought it was sung by a southern rock band that I didn't know the name of...... Never imagined they were English...how funny.

Lighthouse

Yes I would go along with Yes. Tangerine Dream I still have the Vinyl of several of the stuff. They were down to do the original music for The Exorcist. But the rather tame Tubular Bells won out. Genesis I love and have all the vinyl from Peter Gabriel era. My era and Jethro Tull and... what do we call the early Moody Blues.On The  Threshold Of a Dream. Great Friday Night Saturday Night Music.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Burt

Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" has to be one of the all time greats...

michaelread

I went and saw the Mars Volta last wednesday night in Sydney.

5 song set, 2 and a half hours on stage.

They didnt play anything from Amputechture or Frances the Mute, was mainly the new album which wasnt really one of my favourites at all, but lets be serious, they play about 2 minutes of the real song and then improvise for the next 45.

was excellent

EdenRob

Quote from: michaelread on January 30, 2010, 01:21:54 AM
I went and saw the Mars Volta last wednesday night in Sydney.

5 song set, 2 and a half hours on stage.

They didnt play anything from Amputechture or Frances the Mute, was mainly the new album which wasnt really one of my favourites at all, but lets be serious, they play about 2 minutes of the real song and then improvise for the next 45.

was excellent

45 minutes improvisation reminded me of an all night gig I went in the late 60's. Steppenwolf were the support for The Nice. Steppenwolf were new to me then and were mindblowing. The Nice I think were "chemically enhanced" to the point of oblivion and improvised America it seemed for an hour. We came out at about 5am and went straight to the old Covent Garden when it was still a market and had a couple of pints in the early opening pubs there.

NogoodBoyo

When did Joe Biden join Procul Harem?
Nogood "looking very vice presidential, isit" Boyo