more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (04/11/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 04, 2013, 04:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Sascha Riether faces ban over Adnan Januzaj 'stamp'

Fulham defender Sascha Riether could be suspended by the Football Association for an apparent stamp on Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj in their 3-1 defeat on Saturday.

With the Red Devils winger running down the clock in the corner, Riether appeared to kick out at him as he and his teammate Pajtim Kasami tussled with the 18-year-old.

Referee Lee Probert did not punish the German, and therefore the FA are within their rights to analyse video footage and take retrospective action, if they feel that it is necessary.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol claimed that he missed the incident and told reporters regarding a potential ban for Riether: "That would be disappointing. If it is true, then we have to talk to him.

"I have got some good back-up players as well, so that is not a disaster. The result is a disaster."

The home defeat to United on Saturday left Fulham 15th in the Premier League.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/riether-faces-ban-over-januzaj-stamp_115464.html

WhiteJC

Surprise return on cards for former Fulham favourite

Fulham are interested in signing Clint Dempsey on loan, according to the Daily Star.

The American left the Premier League for Seattle Sounders in the summer, but will have a 3 month break between December and March during the MLS off-season.

And former club Fulham, where Dempsey spent 6 seasons, want to bring the striker back to Craven Cottage on a loan deal. Similar moves have happened with MLS players in the past, with Robbie Keane, David Beckham and Thierry Henry all spending the off-season on loan at European clubs in the past.

Dempsey scored 50 league goals for the Whites during his time in England, before joining Tottenham on the 2012 summer transfer deadline day. The American looked set to move to Liverpool, only for Spurs to have a higher bid accepted by Fulham.

But with Martin Jol's side struggling to win games in the Premier League, after losing their 6th game of the season already, 3-1 at home to Manchester United, the London club could look to bring the USA international back to the Cottage to try and boost their side.

The two time Fulham player of the season turned 30 earlier this year, and could join an already experienced Fulham squad that are struggling to earn points in the league this season. But the return of a fans favourite could boost the team, and supporters' moods.

http://www.footballfancast.com/premiership/fulham/surprise-return-on-cards-for-former-fulham-favourite?

WhiteJC

Kacaniklic Reflects

Alex Kačaniklić led the Whites' comeback attempt against Manchester United and is determined to help the team improve.

Kačaniklić Reflects on Manchester United

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/03/kacaniklic-reflects?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Martin Jol has no fears over his Fulham future despite Manchester United defeat

Fulham boss Martin Jol defiantly laughed off questions about his future with the club after the 3-1 defeat by Manchester United.

The setback was Fulham's third of the week, coming after a lacklustre Premier League display at Southampton and a Capital One Cup exit at the hands of Sky Bet Championship side Leicester.

The Dutchman is one of the favourites with the bookies to become the next manager to lose his job and Fulham's fans are showing signs of losing their patience, chants of 'Jol out' clearly heard early in Saturday's game.

But Jol said: "I have no fear. In the past they used to say 'have no fear, Martin is here'.

"I don't fear. Sometimes I worry if the supporters are at my back, but on the other hand it is better that they are on my back than the players' backs.

"I felt better when I saw the reaction of the players in the second half.

"I get asked about pressure every week and any manager in the league will get this question. If you are in the bottom half of the table you have to win games.

"It is not as bad as people think, but the only thing is you want to turn it around like Newcastle United did (by beating Chelsea on Sunday).

"I know there are always six or seven clubs in trouble. I said to somebody on Friday, if you looked at Roberto Martinez [at Wigan] he was always in the bottom three of the table and after games he was always fantastic.

"That is where I get my belief from, because I know we are a better team than at least six or seven other teams.

"We will pick up points and I think we will be fine in the end, but to play against Man U doesn't help."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9006572?

WhiteJC

Liverpool handed Glen Johnson boost ahead of Fulham clash
Liverpool defender Glen Johnson should be fit to face Fulham next weekend after his absence at Arsenal on Saturday

Glen Johnson should be fit for Liverpool's clash against Fulham at Anfield next Saturday, the Reds have confirmed.

The 29-year-old England international missed the Merseyside club's 2-0 loss to Arsenal at The Emirates on Saturday due to an infection in the right-back's jaw.

However, the Reds are optimistic Johnson, who has only just returned from an ankle injury, should recover in time for their game against the Cottagers.

A Liverpool statement read: "Shortly before the Barclays Premier League clash kicked off at the Emirates Stadium, the 29-year-old was admitted to hospital after suffering severe pain on the right side of his face and jaw.

"Initial scans showed signs of a localised infection – however, the England international was subsequently discharged and returned home on Saturday evening.

"The club's medical staff now expect the Reds' No.2 to recover in time to be in contention for Liverpool's next match, at home to Fulham in the Premier League next weekend."

Johnson has scored seven goals in 117 Premier League appearances for Liverpool after moving to Anfield from Portsmouth in a £20m deal in 2009.

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2013/11/liverpool-handed-glen-johnson-boost-ahead-of-fulham-clash/?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol not fazed as fans call for Fulham change

Fulham boss Martin Jol insists he does not fear the sack despite the Cottagers suffering three defeats in the space of a week.

Jol is among the favourites to become the next Premier League manager to leave their job, while Fulham fans are quickly losing patience.

There were chants of 'Jol out' at Saturday's 3-1 defeat to Manchester United, which came on the back of losses at Southampton and, in the League Cup, second-tier Leicester.

'I have no fear,' Jol said defiantly. 'In the past they used to say, "Have no fear, Martin is here".

'I don't fear. Sometimes I worry if the supporters are at my back, but on the other hand it is better that they are on my back than the players' back.

'I felt better when I saw the reaction of the players in the second half [after United raced into a 3-0 lead].'

Jol's confidence is admirable considering the increasing levels of vitriol he is facing, as well as the constant questions about his future.

'I get asked about pressure every week and any manager in the league will get this question,' he said.

'If you are in the bottom half of the table you have to win games. It is not as bad as people think, but the only thing is you want to turn it around like Newcastle did [in beating Chelsea].'

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/03/martin-jol-not-fazed-as-fans-call-for-fulham-change-4171998/?

WhiteJC

Manchester United undo Martin Jol's Fulham as flaws outweigh flair
• Fulham owner 'told me positive things' says Martin Jol
• Moyes puts trust in United's 'big leader' Wayne Rooney

Anyone who regularly watches Dimitar Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz knows that the difference between poise under pressure and costly inertia can be hard to tell. It is no surprise, then, that there are divisions among Fulham fans as to whether the club's owner, Shahid Kahn, is right to have stood by Martin Jol.

The manager is impressed that his employers have not yet been swayed by the section of the Craven Cottage crowd who loudly insist his time should be up. But he accepts there is a limit to how long he can be given to resolve his side's problems. Something has to give soon.

Jol met Kahn when the owner was in London last week and was slightly surprised by the firmness of the backing he received. "He just told me positive things," the Dutchman said. "I'm always waiting for a few critical remarks and comments but he's not doing that. And the other fellow who is working with me, my chief executive [Alistair Mackintosh], is probably the best man in England."

The club's steadfast support for Jol is the one constant in a season of frustrating inconsistency from Fulham. The team have won three of their 10 Premier League games this season but have yet to deliver a convincing 90-minute performance. At times, such as in the second half against Manchester United, they look worthy of their current place two points above the relegation zone; and at many other times, such as in last week's defeat at Southampton or the first half here, they look like the most docile opponents in the division.

The defensive negligence that allowed Antonio Valencia, Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney to help themselves to wrap up United's victory triggered familiar boos from the home fans. Fulham's improvement in the second half brought a smattering of applause from those same fans, and even a goal for the home side when Alexander Kacaniklic's shot deflected off Rooney and into the net, but it was clear that the home support remained angry.

In the second half their focus shifted from Jol to Ruiz, the player perceived by many fans to personify the impracticality of the manager's plans and who was jeered by home fans when he was replaced in the 75th minute.

The Costa Rican was signed by Jol for £10.5m in 2011 – the first and last time that Jol was allowed to spend a fee befitting the club's ambitions – and is outrageously talented but prone to infuriating lapses. Critics say his inclusion in the side comes at the cost of shape and rigour. Jol says that most Fulham fans understand that his flair outweighs his flaws and those that do not are misguided.

"[The jeers] were very frustrating for him and very disappointing for me," said Jol. "Sometimes Bryan is my best player and sometimes he gets caught on the ball. There were a few other players like that in the past. One of my heroes is Glenn Hoddle and people never gave him credit because he was sometimes a bit like Bryan. So people have to get used to him and if they don't, then we have a problem. Maybe they don't need me but they need Bryan Ruiz, believe me."

And David Moyes needs Rooney. The striker's relationship with Sir Alex Ferguson may have been strained but Moyes is placing ever more trust in the player. It was noticeable against Fulham how often the pair consulted during the match, Rooney seemingly becoming the manager's representative on the pitch. Under Ferguson Rooney resented being asked to play in a variety of different roles, but Moyes says he is now more eager to sacrifice himself for the team.

"He's a big leader in the team now," says Moyes. "He's desperate for the team to be successful and he's a man when he's on the pitch. Even against Fulham, we felt young Adnan [Januzaj] was getting drawn in so we had to pull [Rooney] out wide for the last 15 minutes just to make sure we didn't do anything stupid. Wayne understands that. He's at an age now where he can see that."

Man of match: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/03/premier-league-fulham-manchester-united

WhiteJC

'Hot and cold' Fulham leave Martin Jol under threat

There must have been times, as he watched Manchester United tear Fulham to shreds on Saturday, when Martin Jol wondered if he perhaps should have taken the opportunity to be Alex Ferguson's assistant; then he, rather than David Moyes, might have been purring at the performances of Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie.

Jol was at least grateful for a second-half rally which prevented United visiting upon him the humiliation Manchester City heaped on Norwich's Chris Hughton, and probably kept Jol in a job, for the moment at least.

When the big Dutchman arrived at Fulham in 2011 it was seen as something of a coup. After all, his previous two jobs had been at European Cup winners Hamburg and Ajax, and he had done well at Tottenham.

The sense of optimism engendered at Craven Cottage then is long gone. Jol had a promising first season with a top 10 finish despite Europa League involvement, but such is the decline he has overseen since that Fulham have more defeats than wins in the league, have made no impact in the cups, and their performances appear to be regressing, especially at home. Fulham are sliding down the table, sitting just two points off the relegation zone, the fans are in a mutinous mood, and a stiff run of pre-Christmas fixtures awaits. The club is also under new ownership, and new owners like to redecorate, usually beginning with the fixtures and furnishings in the dugout.

If Jol fears for his job after a 3-1 defeat he does not show it, but he does admit to being mystified by the inconsistencies in his team: "It is hot and cold with us. You have strengths and weaknesses and sometimes we show a few weaknesses, and sometimes we show a few strengths,  because we have got good players."

Philippe Senderos, he said, was typical of this inconsistency: "He played against Everton second half and we didn't concede. He played against Stoke second half and we didn't concede so I feel, 'Maybe we can play without [Brede] Hangeland'. Then the next week it is different, so we have to be more consistent."

The reality is not that mysterious. Fulham lack balance. They have a clutch of mercurial talents, such as  Dimitar Berbatov, Bryan Ruiz and Adel Taarabt, who have ability but are less valuable when the opposition have the ball. Then they have the honest toilers who can win possession but are relatively uninspired users of it. What they do not have is enough players who can do both, which United have in abundance, notably Rooney. Fulham also have a porous back four. Which means Jol's rallying cry is reduced to "there are six or seven teams worse than us".

Next up for Jol is a trip to Anfield. "Liverpool is a very important game now," said Pajtim Kasami, one of Fulham's better players on the day, "but it is going to be very difficult. We need to step up and play as a team."

By contrast, Moyes can look forward to Manchester United's Champions League tie with Real Sociedad in the knowledge that he, and his team, are settling down and the "crisis" headlines have moved on.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/hot-and-cold-fulham-leave-martin-jol-under-threat-8920012.html

WhiteJC

Leave him alone! Jol fires warning to Fulham boo-boys over Ruiz reception

Martin Jol last night warned Fulham supporters not to alienate Bryan Ruiz after they turned their anger on the Costa Rica international.

Ruiz was stunned by the reaction at Craven Cottage when he was replaced by Adel Taarabt in the second half of Saturday's 3-1 defeat to Manchester United.

Fulham fans, who have seen their team lose seven of their last nine Barclays Premier League home games, cheered when they realised he was going off and jeered as he left the pitch.

VIDEO  Scroll down to see Martin Jol putting a brave face on defeat to Manchester United

Out of sorts: Bryan Ruiz was jeered by his own fans after a woeful performance against Manchester United

'Maybe they don't need me but they need Bryan Ruiz believe me,' said Jol, who was also booed by disenchanted supporters.

'I can cope with it because I know football. I have 1,300 games, and I know if people in football are not happy they will give you stick but for a player like Bryan...

'Sometimes he is my best player and sometimes he gets caught on the ball and there are a few other players in the past like that. One of my heroes is Glenn Hoddle and people never gave him credit because he was sometimes like Bryan.

Key player: Martin Jol says Ruiz is important for Fulham

'People have to get used to him and if they don't get used to him then we have a problem because I need Bryan Ruiz. He can give us a few goals. He came on against Leicester and was the best player on the pitch and that was only a few days ago.'

Jol took Ruiz aside after the United game to reassure the 28-year-old, who cost £10million when he signed from Twente in 2011 and has been playing recently despite a back problem.

'He is an unbelievably nice person so I had to whisper a few words in his ear,' said Jol.

'I said that he is arguably my best player and he should know that. Hopefully, he knows a couple of people here trust him and I am one of them.

'It is very disappointing. He came back from the Mexico game and he scored and they won 2-1 and he goes to the World Cup.
There he is a hero and here they boo him off the park.

'That is very frustrating and very disappointing because I want my supporters to stay behind my players.'

Ruiz took to Twitter yesterday to say: 'I want to thank those who are supporting me in this difficult time.'

Dejected: Jol has come under fire from Fulham fans after a string of poor results

Apart from that moment, Jol was the main target for abuse.

Fans chanted 'Jol Out' and sang 'You don't know what you're doing' when he took off Scott Parker but the manager has received no complaints from owner Shad Khan.

'I am always waiting for a few critical remarks or comments but he is not doing that,' said Jol. 'Only positive things.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2486835/Martin-Jol-fires-warning-Fulham-boo-boys-Bryan-Ruiz-reception.html#ixzz2jeDoTNl9
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Bonus Lawro: Why the FA should throw the book at Sascha Riether for his Januzaj stamp

PLUS: David Meyler should take legal action against Andrea Dossena and Lawro's hands out his man and performance of the weekend

Hopefully Sascha Riether will get done over the next 48 hours or so for his stamp on Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj.

It was nasty, calculating and unnecessary. In fact, when Fulham boss Martin Jol saw it on Match of the Day on Saturday night he must have held his head in his hands.

Thankfully, Riether will not get away with it. It was sly thuggery and he has to be punished accordingly.

Jol in!
I am hoping the Fulham owner, Shahid Khan, doesn't sack Jol. He doesn't need to.

Jol, however, needs to crack a few heads in his dressing room and upset a few people.

Dimitar Berbatov is a sensational player on his day but he is having fewer and fewer of those days. In fact, now he is in second gear.

Darren Bent doesn't do anything off the ball. Bryan Ruiz needs the discipline of a position and not a free role and Jol has to keep the rest motivated.

Why any ban isn't harsh enough on Dossena
If I was David Meyler I would take legal action against Andrea Dossena.

I would take him to court. Football likes to resolve things within its own industry and, by and large, I am all for that.

But Alan Shearer on Match of the Day was absolutely right: that was a coward's tackle by Dossena on Meyler.

And I just wish the FA could turn around to him and say: "That tackle was so bad, here's a six-match ban." Because he could have ruined that kid's career. Football, in recent years, has had an attitude of everybody just getting on with it.

But there are a lot of players that have gone out of the game through bad tackles. A lot of players that have lost their livelihoods.

Fortunately they now have 15-16 cameras at every Premier League ground so you can't get away with them.

Whenever Dossena is back on a football pitch, it will be too soon.

Man of the weekend
Malky Mackay: The Cardiff manager, under considerable pressure, having the rug pulled from under him by his owner, is up against his big rivals for the first time in years – and pulls off a result.

Performance of the weekend
Newcastle: Alan Pardew went into his match as another under-pressure manager. But he got his tactics spot-on as his side soaked up the Chelsea attacks and scored at the right times.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bonus-lawro-fa-should-throw-2674086#ixzz2jgvyHoBT
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Martin Jol hits out at "disappointing" Fulham fans

Martin Jol has criticised the Fulham fans for booing Bryan Ruiz during their 3-1 defeat to Manchester United at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Ruiz has struggled to impress for the Cottagers this season, and the stadium announcement of his 74th-minute substitution at the weekend was met with cheers by the home fans before they turned to boos.

"It was very disappointing," Jol said of his treatment. "That [kind of abuse] is something I can cope with because I know football. I have been involved in 1,300 games and I know if people are not happy, they will give you stick.

"Bryan is a player that came back from Costa Rica's game against Mexico; he scored, they won 2-1 and he goes to the World Cup. Then to come here and get that sort of contradiction [in reception]: over there he is a hero and here they boo him off the park.

"That is very, very frustrating for him and very disappointing for me. I wanted my supporters to stay behind my players. He is an unbelievably nice person so I had to whisper a few words in his ear. I said he is arguably my best player and that he should know that. It doesn't mean anything but at least a couple here, and I am one of them, trust him."

Ruiz joined Fulham from FC Twente in 2011.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/jol-hits-out-at-disappointing-fulham-fans_115654.html

WhiteJC

Fulham boss reveals Khan support

Fulham manager Martin Jol has revealed that owner Shahid Khan is still supportive, despite fans turning against him.

There were a number of "Jol out" chants aimed at the Fulham manager at Craven Cottage during the 3-1 defeat to Manchester United but it appears that the Dutchman is safe for now.

"He always says positive things to me," Jol said.

"There are a few youngsters coming through and we have other youngsters coming through, so that is positive.

"I am always waiting for a few critical remarks and comments, but he is not doing that.

"The other fellow who is working with me, my chief executive Alistair Mackintosh, is the best man."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_reveals_khan_support_1_2962433

WhiteJC

Fulham's Jol in need of a spark

"Nobody expected us to win anyway." Those were the words that Martin Jol perhaps regretfully chose to describe his side's loss to Manchester United at Craven Cottage. Although few would argue with the Dutchman, it is never wise to admit such a thing in public, particularly at a club that has just been sold to a foreign owner with little knowledge of where Fulham sit within English football.

The west Londoners currently sit in 16th position after ten games and find themselves hovering above the relegation places by just two points. Facing the reigning champions at home – a side who were struggling to find their feet – should have seen a performance filled with vigour and a sense of freedom. However, conceding three goals in the space of thirteen minutes left the home side without hope or an identity of any sort. Coinciding with his team, Jol has also undergone a considerable personality change. Since arriving at the club, Jol has been accused of undervaluing what he has had at his disposal. Having managed traditionally bigger clubs such as Tottenham Hotspur, Hamburg and Ajax, Jol felt he couldn't fulfil his ambitions with a relatively unsuccessful team. With each season that passes, Jol's expectations have lowered to an underwhelming sense of mediocrity.

After the surprise departure of Mark Hughes in the summer of 2011, Jol finally got his wish to rejoin English football's top flight as a manager. In his debut season, Jol would guide the club to 9th place despite having to contend with additional games, thanks to their Europa League participation. Fulham's star performer would be Clint Dempsey, who would finish the season as the club's top scorer for consecutive seasons with 23 goals. Craven Cottage was once again a fortress, with the club picking up ten wins out of a possible nineteen. Even more impressive, was the fact that they managed to finish level on points with Liverpool, despite the five-time European champions spending the best part of £60 million.

It was to be his second season in charge where Jol's fears about the club's ambitions would be realised. In the final week of the 2012/13 summer transfer window, Jol would be shorn of his most treasured assets. Mousa Dembélé and Clint Dempsey would be sold to his former club Tottenham Hotspur in a relatively cheap £21 million double transfer deal. The club would finish in 12th place, seven points above the relegation zone. The saving grace of Fulham's season would be the acquisition of Dimitar Berbatov from Manchester United. The languid Bulgarian would go on to score fifteen league goals, triple that of Fulham's next top scorer Mladen Petric.

Despite some exciting arrivals during the summer, the signs are there that this could prove to be Jol's worst season at the club yet. The average age of the current squad is 29, a stat which Jol may need to address if his club are to keep their Premier League status. The loan signings of Adel Taarabt and Darren Bent in particular suggested Fulham could push on and relieve the pressure on Dimitar Berbatov somewhat. However, having scored only two league goals, Bent has struggled to replicate his past goal scoring exploits. Despite this, the former England international is worryingly the club's joint top goal scorer. The decline of former talisman Dimitar Berbatov has been alarming, with last season's top scorer having a solitary goal to his name from nine league starts. Jol is a manager who can ill afford luxury items, be that in the transfer market or those who are contributing little on the pitch.

As Jol finds his groove in the Craven Cottage dug-out, Fulham supporters should be wary of where exactly their club is heading. For if he is allowed to stew until the season's close in May, fans could start to miss home Premier League comforts.

http://fourfourtweet.co.uk/fulhams-jol-in-need-of-a-spark/?

WhiteJC

Fellaini angered by Riether stamp
Marouane Fellaini has called for retrospective action to be taken against Fulham defender Sascha Riether for his apparent stamp on Adnan Januzaj.

Marouane Fellaini has called for retrospective action to be taken against Fulham defender Sascha Riether for his apparent stamp on Manchester United winger Adnan Januzaj at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Riether was not punished for his actions by referee Lee Probert, which came in the last minute of Fulham's 3-1 defeat to United, but on the face of it it did look like the type of incident new Football Association chairman Greg Dyke wants to clamp down on.

"For me it was a red card for the right back," the Belgian told MUTV.

"I hope the referee looks at the video later."

United manager David Moyes was more philosophical as his team extended their unbeaten run.

"We are never going to ask for (protection)," said Moyes.

"We want him to get up. We don't want him to go down easily.

"He is a really honest boy and I thought there were a couple of times when fouls should have been given against him but they weren't."

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/fellaini-angered-by-riether-stamp-S11363846867220?

WhiteJC

Happy To Be Back

Ashkan Dejagah admitted Fulham were stunned to find themselves 3-0 down with less than a quarter of the match played on Saturday afternoon, but insisted there were positives to take from the game.

Strikes from Antonio Valencia, Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney put Manchester United in control of the Craven Cottage encounter but the Whites refused to lie down, with Alexander Kačaniklić's second-half effort reducing the arrears.

Substitute Darren Bent then hit the crossbar, while former Reds duo Kieran Richardson and Dimitar Berbatov both had chances, but the deficit was too great to come back from and Ashkan and his teammates were left to rue the early barrage from United that yielded a trio of goals.

"I do think we were ready for the game," Dejagah told fulhamfc.com. "We actually started well in the first few minutes but when Valencia scored the first goal I think it was a shock for the team.

"And it wasn't long after that they scored the second and the third goals, and it was a bit of a sucker punch to find ourselves three down so early on. We were all shocked. It's normal for the fans not to be happy with the result, we're not either, but we tried to give our best and I think the second half was better and we actually had some chances to get back into it."

In fact, the Whites created more opportunities than the visitors – including efforts on target – and Dejagah wants his team to use their improved display after the interval as motivation going into the next fixture at Liverpool.

"That's a positive we can take," he insisted. "I think we played well in the second half – we did in the first half too, aside from that 10 or 12 minutes when they scored three goals. But this is Manchester United and if you give them a chance they will usually score.

"We can definitely take heart from our second-half performance in the next game. We played good football and created some chances and if we play like that from the first minute at Anfield then maybe we have a chance. They're a big team, Liverpool, they've played very well this year but we'll try our best. We've got this week to work hard and hopefully we can play better next week."

The Iran international played just over an hour at the weekend in what was his first appearance of the Barclays Premier League season. His only previous run-out in the current campaign was at Burton Albion in the Capital One Cup and Dejagah revealed his pleasure at pulling on the black and white shirt again.

"I was very happy to be back out there on the pitch to try and help the team," he said. "Obviously I'm not happy with the result but I think, for me, it was a good game to play in and I'm happy to be back playing at the Cottage.

"I felt very good after the match – I'm fit but I know that I have to work for the next game, but I feel very good. I hope I can start my season from now."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/04/happy-to-be-back?

WhiteJC

Mach Report: Disappointing Berbatov Doesn't Aid Fulham in Defeat to United

In 2007, Martin Jol saw his spell as Tottenham Hotspur come to an abrupt and unfortunate end. The Dutchman was controversially relieved of his duties less than 2 months into the season, with fans discovering the news of his dismissal during the 2-1 UEFA Cup defeat to Getafe. Supporters chanted his name at White Hart Lane that night, but a poor start to the campaign following the high level of investment over the summer resulted in his sacking.

While Jol shouldered responsibility for the underwhelming beginning to the season, the players were also deserving of the criticism being sent their way, with Dimitar Berbatov regularly the scapegoat as a result of his attitude towards the game. The Bulgarian is best known for his moments of brilliance, but also for his laziness when leading the attack, and the latter has begun to overshadow the former.

This has seen his average WhoScored rating drop from 7.23 last season to 6.47 this one. His 1 goal this season came in the 4-1 romp of Crystal Palace, and ended a baron spell of 566 minutes without a Premier League goal stemming back from last seasons 3-0 win at Swansea City on the final day of the campaign. Berbatov may be famed for his ability to bring others into the game, accentuated in his WhoScored strength of 'holding onto the ball', but for a striker of his talent, that's a poor return.

The 32-year-old wasn't at his best once again for the welcome of Manchester United, regardless of Jol on Saturday stating: "Dimitar, of course, should do better than he did before." More often than not, the onus is on a player to impress against his former club, but Berbatov failed to do just that. Moved further forward to act as the focal point in the Fulham attack, the frontman and captain for the day endured a quiet afternoon as a result of the defensive performances of Nemanja Vidic, Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling, the latter replacing Evans at half-time as a result of injury.

Limited to just 3 shots on goal, 2 of which were on target, Berbatov did little to dispel his critics who perceive him to be apathetic when on the pitch. His average rating of 6.6 in the 3-1 loss to United may not have been his lowest score of the season, but he still struggled to provide the offensive impetus to this disappointing Fulham side. Only having 40 touches of the ball, 1 every 2.25 minutes, highlights his lack of involvement in the defeat, with striker unable to exhibit the qualities that have won him a number of admirers in the past.

Even when in possession, he turned out an unenthusiastic display at Craven Cottage, attempting just the 27 passes with a 76% success. Granted, he executed 2 key passes, only Bryan Ruiz and Kieran Richardson (both 3) played more of every player in the game, while the figure was higher than his seasonal average (1), but with his preference to bring others into the game; Berbatov's poor distribution contributed significantly to a relative toothless Fulham performance.

His display on Saturday mirrored that of the time towards the end of Jol's reign at Spurs, as supporters of the north London side will testify, and while the Dutchman spoke highly of his main striker before kick off, Berbatov's diminishing input is having a detrimental effect on the team. Whether this costs Jol his job as Cottagers boss, it remains to be seen, but the lack of effort from the frontman won't improve his position at Craven Cottage.

With only 1 league goal this season and no assists, Berbatov is slowly seeing his reputation amongst the Fulham faithful drop. Supporters are beginning to grow weary of his lethargic approach to the game and with Jol's persistance on starting Berbatov may well come back to haunt the former Spurs boss, much like it did a little over 6 years ago.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/uGmGy-7YrU2214citejc7A/Show/?