more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (06/11/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 06, 2013, 04:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Kacaniklic rules out loan move

Fulham winger Alex Kacaniklic feels he has improved as a player and says he will never go on loan to the Championship again.

Kacaniklic spent time with Watford in early 2012 and then linked up with Burnley for three months last season to help his development, but he is now concentrating on trying to establish himself in Fulham's starting XI.

Having played only a minor role over the past few weeks, he was delighted to score via a deflection after coming on as a substitute in Saturday's 3-1 home defeat against Manchester United.

The Swedish player is desperate to play regularly but feels he is now at the stage of his career when he does not want to drop down from the Premier League.

"It's very pleasing to be back playing again," Kacaniklic said in the Fulham & Hammersmith Chronicle.

"I'm 22 now, so I want to play every week. If I don't play it's not good for my development.

"But I will never go on loan to the Championship again. I feel I'm on a higher level now."

Speaking about his deflected goal against United, Kacaniklic added: "It's definitely mine. It was going towards goal anyway, even though it got a touch."

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/9009986/Transfer-news-Fulham-winger-Alex-Kacaniklic-rules-out-loan-move-to-Championship?

WhiteJC

Steven Gerrard Hip Injury Could Rule Him Out of Fulham Meeting

Steven Gerrard can't catch a break this season; the England captain may have lead the Three Lions to the promised land of World Cup qualification only a few weeks back, but in a Liverpool shirt, he's been less than his normally prolific self and amid calls for Reds boss Brendan Rodgers to drop him to the bench for the match against Fulham this weekend, it's now been revealed that the skipper bunged up his hip on Saturday.
Although the extent and severity of the injury hasn't been made clear, though the Liverpool manager felt it necessary to mention it following his sides loss to Arsenal over the weekend. "He took a knock towards the end, with his hip, [but] I'm not sure the complete diagnosis on it" said Rodgers who's normally quite informed when it comes to his player's fitness levels. Is this a convenient injury that will justify his exclusion from the squad on Saturday and in England's upcoming friendlies? Or is this the real deal?

Insane – and possibly not far from the truth – conspiracy theories aside, watching from the stands when Martin Jol's Fulham side come to town and taking it easy while England play two meaningless friendlies with Chile and Germany could be exactly what Gerrard needs to refocus his mind. Despite his patchy form, Rodgers has so far held back any criticism of his captain and has yet to rule him out for this weekend's match.

"Stevie's been brilliant for me, it was a tough game for him, but we'll assess his injury and see where he's at" said the Reds manager. Should he not feature against the Cottagers, there are questions of who will take Gerrard's spot in the squad with Jordan Henderson impressing in a more central role and Joe Allen itching for a recall. The question also begs whether he earns an immediate recall upon a return to fitness if the side continue their good run of form without him. We'll keep you up to date on these -and many more – questions as answers, imagined or otherwise, become more apparent.

http://paisleygates.com/?p=14202

WhiteJC

Forced Into A Triple Substitution, How Did Moyes Manage Man United's Second Half?

Manchester United were forced into making an unusual change against Fulham on Saturday, when David Moyes made all three substitutions at half-time. The Red Devils were up by three goals thanks to a blistering 15-minute spell in the first half, but with Tom Cleverley, Jonny Evans and Rafael da Silva all picking up injuries, the United boss had no choice but to replace the three players.

The result was hardly spectacular.

As we can see from Squawka's Performance Score, United hardly improved at all in the second half in terms of their effectiveness, and didn't at all press home their three-goal advantage.

An unlucky Wayne Rooney deflection gave Fulham a goal, whereas United rarely looked like threatening a Fulham defense that appeared so flimsy in the first half. So why were the three substitutions from Moyes so ineffective for United?

45' — Chris Smalling ON, Rafael OFF
Probably fair to point out that making a swap at right back didn't really influence United at all.

Fulham rarely attacked down the right flank—which meant that Smalling didn't have much work to get through—and when they did, the Englishman cleared comfortably. He didn't have the chance to get forward and help out the attack as much as Rafael might have, but as we'll see, there were other factors that contributed heavily towards this.

45' — Shinji Kagawa ON, Tom Cleverley OFF
Much maligned for his limited playing time, Shinji Kagawa was thrown on in the second half and finally allowed to play in his roaming central attacking midfield role. As we can see from the images below, Rooney moved over to the right flank from his position in the hole to give Kagawa freedom to play that position, and yet the Japan international really didn't deliver.

Kagawa was heavily caught with his back to goal and struggled to play United out of the middle like Rooney did so well in the first half. He didn't link up with the wide men well (which is odd seeing that both Rooney and Adnan Januzaj were having particularly good games), with his Total Pass Map showing just how ineffective he was.

Of particular concern will be the number of backwards passes from Kagawa, which isn't what United will want from their No. 10.

45' — Marouane Fellaini ON, Jonny Evans OFF
As disappointing as Kagawa might have been in the second half, perhaps a surprising sight was the stellar performance from Marouane Fellaini coming on in central midfield.

Rarely was he "called into action" per se, but that's what United actually want from their man in the middle; they want someone who has already killed the play before it needed to happen.

They want someone who can quietly go about his work without making mistakes, and that was Fellaini against Fulham—completing 39 of 42 attempted passes while also winning 100 percent of his tackles and two interceptions.

As his Individual Action Areas show, Fellaini filled the role in the middle of the field perfectly—not pressing too far forward into attack and not sitting too deep on top of the defensive line.

For perhaps the first time all season, the former Everton man actually played as a central midfielder very effectively, and surprisingly, he did it without the presence of Michael Carrick alongside him.

Fellaini's strong performance redeemed Moyes' second-half subs in many ways and ensured that they didn't completely undo Manchester United's first-half advantage over the Cottagers.

The introduction of Kagawa didn't help United's attack but hinder it, and had Fellaini delivered a hapless performance in the middle where he made poor choices in attack and didn't work hard enough in defense, the Red Devils may well have let the Fulham back into the game. Fortunately, though—for both Fellaini and United—it didn't happen like that, with the former Toffees star finally giving United fans something to suggest that he could actually be their answer in the middle of the field this season.

http://squawka.com/news/2013/11/05/forced-into-a-triple-substitution-how-did-moyes-manage-uniteds-second-half/2013110531478?

WhiteJC

Riether set for three-match ban as he accepts FA violent conduct charge (but he did say sorry to Januzaj)

Fulham right back Sascha Riether is set to receive a three-match ban after accepting a charge of violent conduct for stamping on Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj on Saturday.

The German, who also apologised to Januzaj, his team-mates and Fulham fans, escaped sanction from referee Lee Probert in Fulham's 3-1 defeat but became the first player charged by the FA under a new pilot scheme where three former referees review video evidence not seen by match officials.

Riether, 30, was given until 6pm on Tuesday to respond to the charge but took to Twitter earlier in the day to accept responsibility.

Learning to cope: Moyes says the teenager is 'learning to cope' with the rough and tumble

Violent conduct: Sascha Riether (centre) stamps on Januzaj and the Fulham man was retrospectively punished

Charged: Sascha Riether has been charged by the FA for violent conduct - he is the first to be done so under a new pilot scheme that charges retrospectively

Sorry: Riether apologised on Twitter for stamping on Januzaj and accepted the FA charge

He wrote: 'I want to say I am sorry to Adnan Januzai. It was very unlike me and I can only say that frustration got the better of me.

'I also want to apologise to my teammates, fans and everyone at the Club, for the ban incurred following Saturday's match.

'I will accept the consequences of my actions, and hope to put it behind me when I return. I want the fans to know that I will be working hard to stay fit and will be ready to continue fighting for the Club as soon as I am able.'

United manager David Moyes was furious after the incident and described it as 'a bad stamp that did look deliberate'. He went on to demand more protection for Januzaj from referees.

Probert told the FA in his official report that he had not seen the clash, meaning the case was directed to a panel of Alan Wiley, Eddie Wolstenholme and Steve Dunn, who unanimously agreed that Riether deserved a red card. The panel of referees was only introduced this season.

Riether's admission will trigger an immediate three-match ban, keeping him out of Martin Jol's side for the forthcoming fixtures against Liverpool, Swansea and West Ham.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2487852/Sascha-Riether-says-sorry-Adnan-Januzaj-horror-stamp-accepts-FA-violent-conduct-charge.html#ixzz2jq3ND3J8
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Barclays U21s: Fulham close gap on the leaders

Win at Bolton brings Fulham within two points of West Ham who were held by Chelsea

Fulham closed the gap on Barclays Under-21 Premier League leaders West Ham United to two points after their victory over Bolton Wanderers combined with West Ham's draw with Chelsea in the latest round of fixtures in the competition.

Leicester City 1-0 Blackburn Rovers

Jacob Blyth scored the winner as Leicester City secured their third win of the campaign with victory at the King Power Stadium. The Foxes hit the crossbar twice in the first half, through Michael Cain and Ryan Watson, and they took the lead with 20 minutes to go when Blyth pounced on a loose ball to power home from six yards. Dean Rittenburg went close to extending the lead but his shot was tipped on to a post by goalkeeper Conrad Logan, while Ryan Edwards had the best chance for Rovers but his 25-yard free-kick in the second half rose over the bar.
Leicester City report | Blackburn Rovers report

Aston Villa 6-2 Newcastle United

Callum Robinson's hat-trick gave his side a comprehensive victory at Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium. The home side had to come from behind after Newcastle's Adam Armstrong chipped the ball over Benjamin Siegrist with four minutes gone but the scores were level three minutes later, Robinson scoring his first with a low shot into the corner.
Villa took the lead just before the break when Liam Bateman's cross was sliced into his own net by James Morgan and they extended the lead through Daniel Johnson's penalty after Jordan Graham had been fouled in the area. The Magpies pulled a goal back when Haris Vuckic's cross found its way into the net but two quickfire goals from Robinson put the contest beyond doubt, while he also set up Johnson for the sixth.
Aston Villa report | Newcastle United

Sunderland 1-2 West Bromwich Albion

High flying Sunderland suffered their second defeat of the campaign at the hand of the Baggies at the Eppleton Collery Welfare Ground. Mani O'Sullivan put West Brom ahead when he smashed home Cameron Gayle's cut-back but Sunderland went close through Charis Mavrias before they equalised with Liam Agnew's penalty on 30 minutes. O'Sullivan scored his second just after the hour when he slotted in from Daniel Barrow's through-ball and despite a Sunderland onslaught in the closing stages, West Brom hung on for three points.
Sunderland report | West Bromwich Albion report

Bolton Wanderers 1-3 Fulham

Fulham extended their unbeaten run to nine matches in overcoming Bolton Wanderers at the County Ground. Moussa Dembele and Buomesca Tue Na Bangna had chances for Fulham in the opening period before the two combined for Dembele to give the visitors the lead in the second half. Na Bangna's fierce drive put Fulham 2-0 up before Dembele added the third, while Bolton Wanderers claimed a late goal through Georg Iliev but it was not enough to prevent them suffering their first home League defeat of the season.
"We deserved the win; we played some excellent football at times," Under-21 Manager Symons told Fulham's website. "Bolton had done their homework and at times they made it difficult - particularly in the first half. We created chances, but were probably lacking a bit of care in front of goal.
"In the second half we were a lot more clinical and if anything we should have maybe had two or three more. It was disappointing to concede a late goal, but on the whole this was a fantastic performance by the boys."
Bolton Wanderers report | Fulham report

Middlesbrough 3-4 Liverpool

Liverpool hung on to claim victory in a seven-goal thriller at Hartlepool's Victoria Park on Monday night. The visitors had an explosive start to the match and were 3-0 ahead after only 25 minutes through Craig Roddan, Joao Carlos Teixeira and Jordan Rossiter, who scored his first goal for the Under-21s. But Middlesbrough responded well in the second period and pulled a goal back through Jacob Butterfield's 30-yard strike, only for Teixeira to restore Liverpool's three-goal cushion with his fourth goal in three matches. Back came Boro straight from the kick-off, however. Emmanuel Ledesma fired in from outside the area while on 65 minutes. Seb Hines's glancing header gave the hosts hope of a comeback but Liverpool held on for the win.
Middlesbrough report | Liverpool report

Chelsea 3-3 West Ham United

Nathan Ake scored an added-time equaliser as the Blues staged a spirited fightback to draw a six-goal thriller at Aldershot on Friday night. The table-topping Hammers had raced into a two-goal lead thanks to first-half efforts by Pelly Ruddock and Matthias Fanimo. The visitors almost extended their lead further when Kieran Sadlier's free-kick clipped a post but the Blues reduced the arrears when Lewis Baker finished from close range after Billy Clifford had struck an upright.
In an open second half with chances for both sides the hosts levelled when Islam Feruz's shot was parried by Raphael Spiegel to John Swift who scored his fourth goal of the season. West Ham thought they had produced a spectacular winner when Blair Turgott let fly from 25 yards, but Ake pounced at the death, reacting first to Clifford's thunderous strike as it crashed back off the bar.
Chelsea report | West Ham report

Norwich City 0-3 Manchester City

John Guidetti made his comeback from injury as Patrick Vieira's side earned a comfortable victory over Norwich at Carrow Road. Two goals by Seko Fofana sandwiched Jordy Huwula's as City collected their first away victory of the season. Moments after seeing his long shot saved by Norwich goalkeeper Remi Matthews, Fofana latched on to Sinan Bytyqi's pass to earn the hosts an early lead. The advantage was doubled in the second half when Huwula connected with Greg Leigh's cross six minutes after coming on as substitute. Although Norwich twice came close to scoring, City made it 3-0 when Fofana skipped past his marker before stroking the ball into the back of the net.
Norwich report | Man City report

Barclays Under-21 results/fixture

Friday, 1 November
Chelsea (Baker, Swift, Ake) 3-3 West Ham United (Ruddock, Fanimo, Turgott)
Norwich City 0-3 Manchester City (Fofana 2, Huwula)

Monday, 4 November
Aston Villa (Robinson 3, Morgan og, Johnson 2) 6-2 Newcastle United (Armstrong, Vuckic)
Bolton Wanderers (Iliev) 1-3 Fulham (Dembele 2, Na Bangna)
Leicester City (Blyth) 1-0 Blackburn Rovers
Middlesbrough (Butterfield, Ledesma, Hines) 3-4 Liverpool (Roddan, Teixeira 2, Rossiter)
Southampton P-P Wolverhampton Wanderers
Sunderland (Agnew) 1-2 West Bromwich Albion (O'Sullivan 2)
Tottenham Hotspur P-P Reading

Friday, 8 November, 2013
Manchester United v Stoke City, Altrincham FC

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2013-14/nov/barclays-u21-review-041113.html?

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column

I said in my last column that I thought the win at Crystal Palace could be the stepping stone for our season, but unfortunately things didn't really pan out that way. A trip to St Mary's was the first chance to build on our little run of form but I was very impressed with Southampton – I thought they were fantastic. They got their tactics right and didn't give our players time to breathe as they pressed us all over the pitch. They were very sharp and just seemed to have a little bit more energy than us. Obviously it was very disappointing from our point of view as we didn't really create too much and never looked like winning the game but sometimes you just have to give credit to the opposition. I think they're one of the better sides we've played this season so far. If you don't start the game too well in the Premier League then you normally get punished and Southampton kept up that intensity and came out clear winners. It just wasn't our day at the office.

Much has been made of the fact that we only had one shot in that game, but I can recall plenty of times of times when I was involved in similar matches. I remember going to Arsenal and we drew 0-0 but only because Edwin van der Sar made about 500 saves! I think we could have nicked it when we had one header off target but if it wasn't for van der Sar that day we would've got trashed.

Next up was our late defeat to Leicester City in the Capital One Cup and I think that one has to go down as something of a missed opportunity. Realistically, a great season for Fulham would be to go on a couple of cup runs – maybe getting to a Final – and finishing higher than 10th in the league. The Leicester game was a good opportunity for us to go there and get into the next round of the cup and maybe win something to give our fans something to shout about, giving them that trip to Wembley, but on the day it wasn't meant to be. Although we conceded some sloppy goals, we still managed to get back into the game but they say you're at your most vulnerable when you've just scored, and so it proved as they ended up nicking it in the last minutes which was very disappointing.

Another disappointment was that Hugo Rodallega had to be withdrawn due to injury in the second half. He looked really up for it in that game and obviously he scored two goals, the second of which was a great header. It will be gutting for him because he'd been given his chance. He must have done enough to impress Martin Jol in training as he decided to play him and it must be so frustrating for Hugo because he got his chance, which he took, but then to get injured is just bad luck. It's bad luck for the team as well because we need the goals at the minute.

Manchester United are hardly ideal opposition when you need a result and before Saturday's game I did sense there was something of an anxiety in the ground with a few moans and groans. As a player, it can be a bit difficult when you hear that and I think maybe the fans – who have always been great to me – need to get behind the team and support them.

Facing Man United to a difficult enough task as it is so to concede some basic goals was sloppy on our part and very disappointing as we just handed them three goals. If you watch them back, I think there's something that we could have done to prevent each and every one of those goals so I'm sure they'll be working on that on the training pitch this week. But I thought it was a good show of character in the second half for the players to come out and win the half as we did. I think that would have been the talk at the interval, saying that we're 3-0 down and we're not going to win the game, so let's not lose the second half.

I don't like saying it, but maybe Man United took their foot off the pedal a bit as they've got a Champions League match on Tuesday, but let's not take anything away from the lads for sticking in there. I've been in that situation before and it's so easy at 3-0 or 4-0 to let your heads drop and concede another and another but the lads battled on well and created some chances and they were unlucky not to score a second really. If that Darren Bent header had gone in rather than hit the bar, who knows how the game would have ended up.

The fixtures don't get any easier and while Liverpool will clearly be a hard match, it's one the players will look forward to. When I first joined Fulham we were in the old Division Three so our away trips were against teams like Gillingham and Cambridge, so when we got to the top flight the games at places like Anfield were always ones I looked forward to. All the pressure will be on Liverpool; all the bookmakers will be making them favourites and the pundits will be making them favourites so we've got nothing to lose really and, with our players, if they all click and get into gear we can score two or three goals away from home, like we've seen before.

Brendan Rodgers has got his team looking dangerous and I do like their formation where they play three at the back to accommodate Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge, and they've got Philippe Coutinho back now too. They're going to be hungry because they lost their last match but if we start the game well and go in with a positive frame of mind and keep the crowd quiet for the first 20 minutes then they might get on their backs a little bit and then you never know what might happen. But we need to defend a lot better if we're going to get anything out of the game.

Suarez and Sturridge look very sharp and you can see that they've got that tight-knit relationship where they know what the other one's going to do. They're a dangerous partnership but Liverpool are dangerous all over the park. We talk about Suarez and Sturridge but then there's also Steven Gerrard who's been one of their best players for the last 10 years. We have to defend as a unit, as a team; it starts from the top and the forwards have to dig in and the men out wide have to work hard. As a team I think we just need to be a bit more organised and stop conceding silly goals. The lads look like a close-knit bunch so hopefully they'll rile each other up and be ready to go again.

I don't think we're a million miles away from going on a good run of form because at Palace I thought we were fantastic and that we might crack on but we've had some difficult fixtures; Southampton have been a revelation this season and Manchester United is always a difficult game. What I would say it that as a team and a Club we need to stick together. Come On You Whites!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/05/the-sean-davis-column?

WhiteJC

It's time for Agger to return against Fulham

Liverpool's vice-captain Daniel Agger continues to find himself on the substitutes bench even though he is fully fit. Brendan Rodgers has been opting to start with Sakho, Skrtel and Toure as the three central defenders in the 3-5-2 formation.

To be fair, neither of Sakho, Skrtel or Toure have done too much wrong to warrant being dropped for Agger but the defence continues to concede goals and now Rodgers needs to figure out if the problem lies in the system or with the individuals in it.

Former Liverpool striker John Aldridge has told the Liverpool Echo that Agger must return to the Liverpool side somehow. Aldridge said:

I think the time has come for Daniel Agger to return to the Liverpool side for Saturday's game with Fulham at Anfield.

Agger is too good a player to be out of the team for too long and after a defeat like Saturday I expect to see him back in the starting line up.

We haven't been defending particularly badly but we haven't been keeping clean sheets.

Agger has been at the club a long time and is a real stalwart. The vice-captain has been patiently waiting for his chance over the past month and deserves a recall.

Agger is so comfortable bringing the ball out from the back, he reads the game well and also provides a goal threat.

Once again on Saturday we were undone by another long range strike.

I know it was a wonderful goal from Aaron Ramsey and it sounds hyper-critical but you can't afford to back off players of that calibre.

We didn't close him down quickly enough and that's cost us a few times already this season.

Kolo Toure, Martin Skrtel and Mamadou Sakho haven't done much wrong and I'm not sure which one will make way, but I just think the backline will be stronger with Agger in it.

The first thing Rodgers has to decide is if he is sticking with the 3-5-2 formation. Since it is Fulham at home on Saturday, I would expect him to continue playing 3-5-2, although against the bigger teams he may have to look at playing 4-3-3 so that we keep some control of the midfield.

If Agger is to come back into the side against Fulham then it will most likely be Mamadou Sakho who steps out. Sakho has not done anything wrong and was actually one of Liverpool's best players against Arsenal. The only logical reasoning for replacing Agger with Sakho would be that both of them are left footed centre backs so Agger would be more comfortable slotting into the left side of the back three. Agger could also replace Skrtel and take over the central role of the back three although I have fears of that because Agger is not the best physical defender out there and could be deemed a soft spot in the heart of the defence.

Rodgers has a real selection dilemma if he feels he wants to introduce Agger. Whoever falls out for him will be very unlucky in my opinion but I guess it is only fair to see if the defence would actually be better with Agger in it.

http://www.ourkop.com/2013/11/05/its-time-for-agger-to-return-against-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Sascha Riether may escape ban for stamp on Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj as Fulham challenge FA charge
The FA could be left red-faced as Fulham challenge decision to charge Sascha Riether for his stamp on Manchester United winger Adnan Januzaj

The Football Association was embroiled in another disciplinary farce on Tuesday night after Fulham rejected its attempt to ban Sascha Riether despite the player admitting to stamping on Adnan Januzaj.

Fulham decided to challenge the FA's decision to allow Riether to become the first player charged by its new video panel of former referees after questioning whether it had followed its own rules by doing so.

It is understood that, after serious debate, the club elected to dispute the FA's interpretation of its new regulations that govern when retrospective action can be taken against players for violent conduct.

Although Fulham acknowledge Riether's stamp on Manchester United midfielder Januzaj on Saturday warranted a red card, they believe the FA set a precedent on such incidents by failing to ban Fernando Torres for scratching Jan Vertonghen's face in September's match between Chelsea and Tottenham.

The FA said it was unable to punish Torres because one of the match officials had witnessed the "coming together" of the two players, a decision which left it under heavy fire.

In charging Riether on Monday, it made it clear it did so because none of the officials at Craven Cottage said he saw the incident.

However, video footage appears to show referee Lee Probert not only running towards the area of the field where the stamp took place, but blowing his whistle the moment it occurred.

If Fulham are able to demonstrate this places the incident in the same category as the Torres verdict, the FA could be forced into yet another embarrassing climbdown – arguably its most embarrassing yet in its attempts to get a grip on retrospective action after Fulham full-back Riether apologised for his actions and declared himself ready to serve a three-match ban.

"I want to say I am sorry to Adnan Januzaj," he said.

"It was very unlike me and I can only say that frustration got the better of me. I also want to apologise to my team-mates, fans and everyone at the club, for the ban incurred following Saturday's match. I will accept the consequences of my actions, and hope to put it behind me when I return.

"I want the fans to know that I will be working hard to stay fit and will be ready to continue fighting for the club as soon as I am able."

The fact there is even a dispute over Riether's charge makes another mockery of the tweak to the disciplinary rules that was meant to prevent players escaping punishment in such circumstances.

In the wake of the Torres incident, Greg Dyke, the new FA chairman, promised to tighten up those regulations further, possibly before the end of the season.

Such changes are usually limited to the close season and have previously required the backing of English football's other stakeholders: the Premier League, Football League, Professional Footballers' Association, League Managers Association and Professional Game Match Officials Ltd.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10429255/Sascha-Riether-may-escape-ban-for-stamp-on-Manchester-Uniteds-Adnan-Januzaj-as-Fulham-challenge-FA-charge.html

WhiteJC

Michael O'Neill hoping Aaron Hughes commits for Euros

Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill will begin his Euro 2016 planning in earnest next week after putting pen to paper on a new two-year contract.

The friendly against Turkey on November 15 was the final fixture on his original deal with the Irish Football Association and when he announced a strong 20-man squad for the match at Windsor Avenue yesterday, he was able to do so having signed on to lead the Euro 2016 campaign.

O'Neill will be without Palermo striker Kyle Lafferty, whose wife is due to give birth around the date of the Turkey clash, as well as injured duo Craig Cathcart and Corry Evans, but otherwise has a full-strength panel available to him.

O'Neill is hoping to have experienced defender Aaron Hughes for the Euro qualifiers.

"I've no indications yet that Aaron won't be involved in the next campaign," said O'Neill.

"He is back involved after injury at Fulham and I'd love him to stay on."

Northern Ireland squad:

Goalkeepers: Roy Carroll (Olympiakos), Alan Mannus (St Johnstone)

Defenders: Gareth McAuley (West Brom), Jonny Evans (Manchester United), Lee Hodson (MK Dons), Daniel Lafferty (Burnley), Rory McArdle (Bradford City), Aaron Hughes (Fulham)

Midfielders: Chris Baird (Reading), Steven David (Southampton), Oliver Norwood (Huddersfield Town). Shane Ferguson (Newcastle United - loan at Birmingham City), Christ Brunt (West Brom), Sammy Clingan (Kilmarnock), Michael O'Connor (Rotherham United).

Forwards: Billy McKay (Inverness), Martin Paterson (Huddersfield), Jamie Ward (Derby), Niall McGinn (Aberdeen), Will Grigg (Brentford).

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/football/michael-o-neill-hoping-aaron-hughes-commits-for-euros-1-5652178