more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (07/11/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 07, 2013, 04:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Suarez beats FIFA rule to play against Fulham this weekend

Luis Suarez could have been prevented from playing against Fulham this weekend due to a FIFA rule.

With Uruguay set to take on Jordan next Wednesday in a World Cup play-off, FIFA rules state that players have to be released from club duty five days beforehand to link up with their national side.

Needless to say the revelation sparked some angry responses from Liverpool fans last night, when news started breaking that Suarez may have therefore been unable to lead the Reds' attack against Fulham this Saturday.

However, worry not Liverpool fans because it appears a compromise has been reached with Suarez able to play against Fulham on Saturday afternoon before jetting off to link up with his Uruguay teammates.

Had the Uruguayan FA been hard nosed over the matter, sticking to the rule explicitly, then it would have been a hammer blow to Liverpool, forced to go into a Premier League game without one of their key players.

Suarez would have been forced to travel to Turkey on Saturday to link up with his teammates before their crucial matches against the Jordanian national side.

Suarez has been world class since he returned from that ten game suspension, bagging six goals and an assist from his league appearances so far this season.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013/11/06/suarez-beats-fifa-rule-to-play-against-fulham-this-weekend/?

WhiteJC

Sunderland & Fulham Compete To Land Bundesliga-Based South American In Cut-Price January Deal

Top-flight pair in battle to sign defensive midfielder.

Premier League duo Sunderland and Fulham are both set to go head to head in the race to land highly rated Hamburg holding midfield player Tomas Rincon when the January transferwindow opens once again for business in the new year, according to reports in the Sun.

The Venezuela international has a current contract with the Bundesliga outfit that runs until June 30 2014, and as a result, Rincon would be available to purchase on a free transfer come the end of this campaign.

However, the top-flight strugglers will now both attempt to lure the 25-year-old to England at the turn of the year by offering his employers in Germany a cut-price fee of just £2.2 million to sign the player in January, rather than risk losing Rincon on a free next summer.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/11/06/sunderland-fulham-compete-to-land-bundesliga-based-south-american-in-cut-price-january-deal/?

WhiteJC

Inside Anfield

Liverpool fan Tim Frier assesses his team's season so far and looks ahead to Saturday's Anfield fixture with Fulham.

What have you made of Liverpool's start to the season?

I'm pleased with our start - for the past few seasons we've been well out of the running by Christmas so it's great to see us up there 10 games in. On paper we've had a fairly easy start, but in the last few seasons we've struggled to win a lot of those so-called easier games. I thought we'd struggle to get goals in the first few games when Luis Suarez was out but Daniel Sturridge has been in great form.

Are you pleased with how things are going under Brendan Rodgers?

Yes, he's done a good job so far. We're slowly starting to see his team take shape and play the style of football that served him so well at Swansea City. He's made some good signings, like Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho, who have helped the team play a more fluid passing game.

What have you made of his summer signings?

Kolo Toure is the stand-out signing for me. I expected him to provide cover for Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel, but he's kept them both out of the team at times. We've bought in Mamadou Sakho and Aly Cissokho who've provided more competition for places in defence, which can only be a good thing.  For me, the jury is still out on Iago Aspas and Luis Alberto. They both looked lively in the pre-season game at Preston North End, but we've not seen a great deal of spark since then. Victor Moses, on loan from Chelsea, looks to be a good signing, too. He's given us a bit more depth in our squad and has the skills to change a game.

How important was it to keep Suarez?

It was more important than any other business this summer. He's world class and I don't think we could replace him. He's proved his worth already in the five games he's played this season with six goals and two assists. I hope he's a Liverpool player for years to come.

What do you feel is a realistic ambition for Liverpool this season?

If you look at our squad then I'd say, realistically, we'll finish around sixth but us Liverpool fans are known for our optimism so we've got to be aiming for top four. If we can keep Suarez in January and then get back in the UEFA Champions League next season I'll be a very happy Red!

Which players have impressed you for the Reds this term?

Sturridge and Suarez have been linking up really well and scoring goals. The last game I went to was the West Bromwich Albion match - Suarez created two of his goals from nothing and Sturridge's sublime chip was a contender for goal of the month (although I admit Pajtim Kasami's volley was better!). Coutinho got off to a flying start this season before his injury. Toure has looked solid. Simon Mignolet saved us a few points early on in the season, so we've had players who've impressed all over the pitch.

Which Fulham player will you be most wary of at Anfield?

After his wonder goal against Palace, it's got to be Kasami. He looks a great prospect. Other than Kasami, I hope John Arne Riise gets a game - if he does, then I'm sure the Kop will give him a great welcome back.

What's the best and worst thing about a trip to Anfield?

I know it's predictable but seeing and hearing the Kop in full voice singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' has got to be one of the best experiences in world football (although, admittedly, I am slightly biased). The flip side of having an atmospheric old stadium is the facilities - go for your half-time pie, pee and pint nice and early or you'll be queuing up well into the second half!

Apart from the obvious 'You'll Never Walk Alone', what one song are we bound to hear the home fans sing?

After all the 'will he, won't he' talk in the summer, Suarez is back in the good books so you're likely to hear his song to the tune of 'Just Can't Get Enough' by Depeche Mode.

His name is Suarez, he wears the famous Red,

I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough,

When he scores a volley or scores with his head,

I just can't get enough, I just can't get enough,

He scores a goal and the Kop go wild,

And I just can't seem to get enough Suarez,

Do-do-do-do-do-do-do,

Do-do-do-do-do-do-do,

Do-do-do-do-do-do-do,

Luis Suarez!

Where's the best place for away fans to grab a pint before the game?

The Arkles is great if you like a bit of pre-match banter with your pint - there's usually a good mix of home and away fans. If you want a brief history lesson (but not see so many away shirts) then head to The Sandon, the place where Liverpool FC held its meetings in the early days of the club and which was often used as a changing room for both Liverpool and Everton players.

Finally, what's your score prediction for the match?

I'm going for 3-1 to the Reds.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/06/inside-anfield?

WhiteJC

Bolton 1-3 Fulham U21s

Mesca Na Bangna hit a screamer and Moussa Dembele scored twice as our U21s extended their unbeaten start to the season.

Bolton 1-3 Fulham, Barclays U21s Premier League

Kit Symons watched his Under-21 side stretch their unbeaten run to nine matches following a 3-1 defeat of Bolton Wanderers on Monday night.

It was another impressive showing by the Whites, who returned to winning ways following three consecutive draws, with Moussa Dembele (2) and Buomesca Tue Na Bangna (pictured) on target.

After a relatively even opening 15 minutes, Fulham sprang into life with Dembele creating the first real chance of the match when forcing the Bolton goalkeeper into action.

Na Bangna also went close as Fulham continued to push forward, while Muamer Tankovic tried his luck from the edge of the box.

With the first half drawing to a close, Ronny Minkwitz headed over from a teasing delivery from Josh Passley on the right flank, before Tom Richards saw a powerful strike blocked.

Lasse Vigen Christensen drew a good save from the Bolton stopper, and when Tankovic confidently fired in the rebound the Whites thought they had taken a deserved lead into the break only to see the goal ruled out for offside.

Their patience was rewarded, though, with Dembele capping a fine opening to the second half, heading in from Na Bangna's knock-down following a deep cross from Richards.

David Stockdale saved well to keep Bolton out at the other end, and within moments Fulham broke to claim a second on the hour mark. This time, Dembele turned provider when slipping the ball into the path of Na Bangna who cut in from the right before unleashing an unstoppable left-footed drive into the far corner.

The Whites continued to dominate, and with Christensen, Passley and Tankovic combining smartly, Dembele swept in his second and Fulham's third with customary composure. 

In the closing 10 minutes, Tankovic saw an effort blocked, while Na Bangna and Dino Islamovic both headed wide when well placed. As Fulham went in search of a fourth, the hosts did hit them with a late consolation courtesy of Georg Iliev, but with the game drawing to a close Symons' charges had all but secured the three points.

"I thought that we deserved the win tonight, we played some excellent football at times," said Under-21 Manager Symons. "To be fair, Bolton had done their homework and at times they made it difficult - particularly in the first half.

"We created chances, but were probably lacking a bit of care in front of goal. Obviously in the second half we were a lot more clinical and if anything we should have maybe had two or three more. It was disappointing to concede a late goal, but on the whole this was a fantastic performance by the boys.

"We had David Stockdale in goal tonight, and coming away from the match he's been very complimentary. He looked like he really enjoyed himself out there and I think he was impressed as well. But that's what this group is capable of, on our day, we can be a joy to watch."

Fulham U21s: Stockdale; Passley, Grimmer (Buatu 60), Arthurworrey, Richards; Na Bangna, Vigen Christensen, Minkwitz, Della Verde (Plumain 65); Tankovic; Dembele (Islamovic 75).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/06/bolton-u21s-video?

WhiteJC

An Enforcer!

There`s no doubt that Fulham need to juggle the playing staff.

Our current Premier League position would suggest that we`re not as strong as we should be; however, it remains to be seen whether money is invested in January or we have to hang onto our shirt-tails and hope and pray we survive in the Premier League enabling us to do business in the summer.

However, speculation is rife, at the moment, relating to the possible signing of a midfield enforcer, somebody who becomes a free agent next summer but who might be secure din the January transfer window.

The person in question is Tomas Rincon a 25 year-old Venezuelan currently on the books of the German side, Hamburg.

Rincon, valued at £2.2 million, becomes a free agent in June and already Fulham and Sunderland have registered an interest in securing his services.

Now whether Fulham decide to jump the gun and sign him before he becomes a free agent remains to be seen but it is an option I`d like to see pursued, how about you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=337979#ixzz2jvtw1l9j

WhiteJC

Ivor's Tache Returns

Fulham legend Gordon Davies is re-growing his famous moustache to support Movember this month, as Jonathan Sim explains.

When I first started going to football regularly, real men stalked the pitches of the UK. They were real men resplendent in manhood threateningly tight shorts, nipple chaffing tight nylon shirts and, more often than not, they had moustaches.

Players like Frank Worthington, Kenny Burns, Graeme Souness, Dave Swindlehurst.... the list goes on and we had a fair few down at the Cottage too. The most lustrous surely belonged to Peter O'Sullivan, who was part of Malcolm Macdonald's revolution in the early 1980s, surely a period where upper-lip tomfoolery was at its peak, at least for the post-war generation? Peter boasted a carefully pruned mo' to be proud of, although the same can't be said of Brian Greenaway, who fell into 'lame-mo' territory if I remember correctly – a strangely translucent effort barely visible to all but his closest friends.

Other notables include Tony Gale, who flirted with an ill-advised Jason King style number, Steve Hatter, Peter Kitchen (our big-money signing from Orient in 1979 had various moustache-related clauses actually written into his contract), Kevin Lock and the one and only Gordon Davies. Although it did mutate into a beard occasionally, the enduring image of my all-time Fulham favourite is in that OSCA branded white shirt with black shoulders, wheeling away with a moustachioed grin across his dashing boat. Ivor's moustache is iconic, he wore it SO well. There was only room for one mo'ed up striker in our hearts. Perhaps that's why we didn't take to the terrifyingly special one moustache of John Watson in the late 1980s?

Well the good news is we can all start growing moustaches again because it's that time of the year! Football has been embracing Movember for a number of seasons now as you may have noticed. Even Michael Owen sprouted one last year. He may have looked a bit like Teenwolf but he was part of a growing global movement that aims to raise the profile of men's health. Last year's fundraising amounted to over £27m in the UK (£92m globally), through the simple act of sponsoring a top lip for 30 days.

And for Fulham fans, we can reel back the years and enjoy the fact that Gordon Davies is re-growing his moustache! Now stalking the Riverside Stand's corporate lounges as opposed to the opposition's penalty boxes, Gordon has agreed to cultivate Fulham FC's finest piece of facial hair once more to raise money for Movember.

If you'd like to join his Fulham FC Mo Bros team, or donate to the cause, you can do here; http://uk.movember.com/mospace/8485989 and do your bit to accelerate outcomes for men living with prostate and testicular cancer in the UK.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/06/ivors-tache-returns?

WhiteJC

Norwich, Fulham and Newcastle target still mulling over new deal at PSV

Norwich City, Fulham and Newcastle will have to wait to make their move for Ola Toivonen after PSV Eindhoven revealed that the Sweden striker is still mulling over a new contract offer at the club.

Mino Raiola, Toivonen's agent, said earlier this month that the player is exploring all possibilities, including a move away from PSV.

The 27-year-old is out of contract in the summer and has been presented with the offer of a fresh deal in Eindhoven.

Toivonen's hesitation to ink a new contract has prompted suggestions he is keen on an exit, but PSV technical manager Marcel Brands believes this indicates the forward's desire to stay.

He told De Telegraaf: "I have no indication that Ola does not want to renew, because otherwise he would not have kept us waiting for so long.

"I talked to Mino Raiola last week when he was in America - we will have to see if we meet face to face or talk again over the phone. There is no ultimatum."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/norwich-fulham-and-newcastle-target-still-mulling-over-new-deal-psv-13110667098#eUsAyEl5JMhxBbi9.99

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham's Sascha Riether hit by FA ban after stamping on Adnan Januzaj

Fulham defender Sascha Riether has been suspended for three matches with immediate effect following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing on Wednesday.

The ban relates to a stamp on young winger Adnan Januzaj in Fulham's 3-1 defeat to Manchester United on Saturday which was not seen by referee Lee Probert or his assistants.

The German full-back apologised for the incident via his official Twitter account on Tuesday, adding: "I will accept the consequences of my actions, and hope to put it behind me when I return."

Earlier in the day, it was reported Fulham were delaying accepting the charge as they sought clarification on certain points of the newly-instigated rules that govern when action can be taken.

However, Riether accepted the charge after becoming the first player to be punished under the Retrospective Action Scheme.

An FA panel of three former referees - Steve Dunn, Eddie Wolstenholme and Alan Wiley - were unanimous in their decision that the incident represented an act of violent conduct. The panel made the ruling on what they believe the official would have done had he seen it.

Last month, FA chairman Greg Dyke revealed his concern about inadequate disciplinary procedures against players after Chelsea striker Fernando Torres appeared to scratch Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen in September.

"When millions of fans watching on TV can see an incident like this and the FA does not take action it is understandably baffling to everybody and has to be addressed," Dyke told the Leaders in Football conference.

"For the FA's disciplinary department to find itself in a position where it is not able to take action against an obvious scratch just can't be right.

"What this means is, despite the rules being changed in the summer, they clearly weren't changed enough.

"As FA chairman I don't like to be in a position where I cannot explain the rules when action should be taken when something is pretty obvious."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9011737/?

WhiteJC

Ex-West Ham hero calls for action on diving in same way FA rapped Fulham ace

Former West Ham striker Tony Cottee has reiterated calls for tougher action to cut diving out of the game.

The diving debate has resurfaced after Manchester United's Ashley Young was criticised by TV pundits for going down too easily to win a penalty in a Champions League game at Real Sociedad.

The Football Association this week studied video evidence, under their new retrospective action scheme, to charge Fulham's Sascha Riether for an apparent stamp on an opponent.

Cottee, speaking at the launch of the William Hill-sponsored Football Supporters' Federation 2013 Awards at Leyton Orient FC, said he wanted to see that scheme extended to cover diving.

Cottee said: "I don't like diving. I don't think there is a need for it in the game and I think it should be outlawed.

"I don't understand the silly rules where they say once a player has been punished they can't go back and punish him again. I disagree with that.

"If players are diving, deliberately trying to get penalties or players sent off, then they should be punished for it, whether the referee has seen it or not.

"If a player has been given a yellow card and you look at it and think it should have been red, give him a retrospective red. He'll miss three games and won't do it again.

"In football there are not enough deterrents for things.

"Players will try to get a slight edge on things, they will push it.

"But if they know there is a deterrent - ie for diving when there is no-one near you - and the retrospective punishment is a red card and a three-game ban, they won't do it any more.

"Players have been getting away with it for many years."

Young does have a reputation for diving but Cottee is unsure whether the latest incident is a clear case.

The former Hammers and Everton forward said: "The thing is with Ashley, it's hard to judge if it was a dive or it wasn't because he's done it so often. That is the problem.

"There have been many examples over the last two or three seasons where he has dived.

"There might well have been contact there - there was a little tug on the arm, but whether that was enough to send him to the floor or not, I don't know."

It is the second diving controversy involving Young, 28, this season after he was booked for simulation in United's 2-0 win over Crystal Palace in September.

On that occasion manager David Moyes condemned the player - who has since struggled to find a place in the team - but the United boss has not been critical this time.

Cottee, 48, said: "Perhaps David looked at this and thought there was a foul and it was a penalty.

"If that is the case he is going to back the player.

"Ashley Young needs to answer the question. It is disappointing we are talking about the diving aspect of his game, not his actual football performances.

"He has struggled with form and he needs to get back on his game.

"We need to find a way to get Ashley back to the form that got him into the England squad. The way it is going he won't be in the next one."

http://www.london24.com/sport/west-ham/ex_west_ham_hero_calls_for_action_on_diving_in_same_way_fa_rapped_fulham_ace_1_2972947

WhiteJC

Opposition Analysis: Fulham – How to beat the Cottagers' deficiencies

Liverpool host Fulham at Anfield on Saturday at 3pm. The Reds are looking to bounce back from defeat at Arsenal with a win. Rory Fitzgerald provides his in-depth analysis of the opposition.

Fulham's set up

If an established Premiership side were to be relegated this season, Fulham were my prediction at the start of the campaign. Of their 10 games so far this season, they have lost 6 with 3 wins and 1 draw. However, 2 of those wins were against teams even worse than themselves i.e. Palace & Sunderland. Their set up is a 4-2-3-1 type formation though in 3 of the last 5 games its been Berbatov & Bent in attack with Berbatov the deeper of the two. There has been little consistency in the team selections as there has been a high degree of rotation, even within the backline. The midfield is anchored by Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell, who is also a willing forward runner. However, some of the players in advance of midfield are hardly the most industrious with the exception of Kasami who puts in a shift from out wide. As such, the disconnect between the work rate of the 2 and the 3 in midfield causes problems for the team especially given the poor performances of the back line – both individually & collectively – so far this season.

Fulham's defence

Fulham have conceded 15 goals in 10 league games which is the 5th worst in the league. Whilst they put in a good shift at Chelsea earlier in the season 'only' losing 1-0 until the last 5 mins, lately teams have generally been able to comfortably play football through the likes of Ruiz, Berbatov & Bent meaning that there is no real pressure on the ball until the midfield get involved. Whilst Kasami is a willing worker, if the front players are not working as a unit, the work of one player cannot effectively counteract the opposition in that area of the pitch.

With not enough protection from the front, the back line need to be on their game. However, too often they have been blighted by individual lapses and collective disorganisation. The screenshot below is example of some poor awareness within the defensive ranks at Southampton that they ultimately got away with. In fact this screen shot is almost a mirror image of some of the balls that Gerrard whipped in against Newcastle in the 2nd half recently.

However, their luck did not last long with Amorbieta not getting close enough to Lambert at the back post allowing him to head the ball without any real challenge on the 6 yard line.

Whilst the above is an example of individual lapses, the following passage against Stoke questions the organisation of the defence but also demonstrates the lack of pressure on the ball with N'Zonzi and Ireland having the freedom to receive passes, get their head up and play horizontal passes forward. This did not lead to a goal on this occasion but its indicative of the problems that the team are having.

Below are examples of their defence against Man Utd in their most recent game. The first graphic shows some questionable positioning in part due to Richardson not receiving support from Kasami whilst the other 2 are more examples of a poorly deployed offside trap, though this time leading to goals despite getting away with it against Stoke.

Statistics on Fulham

Here are some stats which highlight just why Fulham are struggling;

Average the lowest no. of shots on goal at just 8.3 per game which falls to as low as just a paltry 4.4 per game in away games.
Average the 2nd highest no. of shots conceded at 18.2 per game and in away games they concede the most shots on goal at 20.4 per game.
Conceded the most shots from within the 6 yard box which is indicative of how poorly they have been defending their goal.
Of their 10 goals scored, they were reliant on 5 of them from set pieces (2nd highest in the league).
Away from home they have scored 5 goals, of which 4 were in 1 game against Palace and the other against Sunderland. They were kept scoreless in the other 3 games.
With the exception of the Palace game they have never scored more than 1 goal in a game.
Exposing Fulham's deficiencies

Keeping in mind some of the defensive mistakes that Fulham have made, here are some examples from Liverpool's games against teams that have defensive records that are worse than Fulham. In the examples against Palace it can be seen the kind of positions that Suarez can take up at times in wide left areas and cause their defence problems by stretching the back line.

Example 1

Example 2

The example below shows how some swift passing and intelligent movement can quickly open one of the weaker defences in the league. If there is not enough pressure on the ball by Fulham with gaps between the center halves and the full backs then Liverpool have the players that can exploit this and create chances if Fulham don't tighten up from recent games.

Understanding the malaise

Fulham were my outside tip to be relegated this season. In the pre-season of 2011/12, Fulham's investment was limited – something that Mark Hughes alluded to when he resigned citing 'ambition issues'. That summer they lost Danny Murphy as they only offered him 1 season and he wanted 2. They failed to persuade Henderson to join on loan whilst Charlie Adam went to Stoke instead and Huddlestone decided to stay at Spurs. In the end, they signed the Greek veteran Karagounis as an emergency filler in September to add numbers in midfield that they sorely lacked.

In the January window of 2013, they largely relied on 6 month loan deals to supplement the squad which have now departed. In their last 10 games of last season, Fulham lost 9 of them. As such, this Summer was one in which investment was required. It was felt among the fanbase that for a club that has received funds from TV deals in the past decade, reached the Europa League Final in 2010 and sold players like Dembele, Zamora and Dempsey for good money that the club's financial blueprint was not one that should be relying on free transfers and loan deals on a consistent basis to piece together a squad. Continuing on this trajectory when it comes to squad building is likely to end badly, hence my tip to see them struggle this season.

Attacking Threat

Fulham have scored 10 goals in 10 games and they have only failed to score in 3 games – though those 3 games were away from home when they weren't playing Sunderland or Palace. Of those 10 goals, 5 of them were from set pieces with the likes of Hangeland (if fit), Amorbieta, Berbatov, Ruiz, Senderos and Kasami all being 6'1 and above. The graphic below shows the chances they have created in away games which is staggeringly low at just 15. Even Palace have created as many as 34 which raises questions about the kind of threats we will face with an average of just 4.4 shots per game when away from home. It would be curious to know just how bad those stats would stack up if their 4-1 game against Palace was removed when Holloway resigned afterwards.

Conclusion

The Fulham team have been far from settled this season with the amount of rotation and with Riether's ban, there will be more changes with Aaron Hughes likely to fill in at right back. This may help tighten the back line as the 33 yr old center half is unlikely to be striding down the like Riether. Given the threat of Liverpool's strikers, the problems Fulham have had shielding a poor defence and the need to get a positive result – it will be interesting to see if Martin Jol looks to supplement his midfield duo of Parker & Sidwell with someone like Karagounis coming in to provide a bit more robustness and sacrifice someone like Ruiz.

However, if Martin Jol does not change things and the attitude of certain attacking players does not change nor the concentration at the back then it could be a case of Liverpool dominating the game with little blow back from Fulham. If the reds get time to pick a pass and are presented with space then it would be realistic to expect a win. I just wonder how long Jol can continue with the current set up given the results & performances he has had without looking to shake things up.

Only 5 teams in the league have not yet had a 0-0 draw this season with Fulham and Liverpool being two of those teams. If the stats are there to be broken, you can back the scoreless draw at a whopping 16/1.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/11/opposition-analysis-fulham-beat-cottagers-deficiencies/