watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Premature calls for youth

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, November 07, 2013, 01:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Although I understand the frustrations of "the first team doing poorly, so the youth can't do much worse," but I believe it's a case of looking after said youth. Quote Brendan Rodgers, regards Raheem Sterling and Jordan Ibe, "You just have to give them the time and understanding. There are not going to be too many 17 or 18-year-olds ready for the first team, but we want them to be at 20 or 21."

Now, I'm expecting the Southampton argument where people bring up Nathaniel Clyne, Adam Lallana, James Ward-Prowse, Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin. Well, what I can say about that, is that four of the five players quoted have experience at a lower level.

Rodriguez: Over 100 appearances at Championship level.
Schneiderlin: Over 150 appearances varying between the Championship and League One level.
Lallana: Over 200 appearances varying between the Championship and League One level.
Clyne: Over 100 appearances at Championship level.

Clyne's the youngest at 22, with Lallana the oldest at 25, so although they are young, they are "experienced" footballers.

As for James Ward-Prowse, I suppose with his breakthrough and amount of previous experience, he could really be compared with Pajtim Kasami.

So basically, we're not that far behind other sides. We can't rush player development, as the quote I put from Brendan Rodgers above says, 17 and 18 year olds will rarely be ready for the first team at a Premier League level, but we should aim for them to break through at 20/21, which has happened with Pajtim Kasami and Alex Kacaniklic, and could happen over the next 18 months with the likes of Buomesca Tue Na Bangna and Chris David.

As for Dan Burn, learning your trade at centre back is probably the hardest position in football, I'm going to use the example of Steven Caulker, he went on the same path as Dan Burn, but after his loan with Bristol City in the Championship, he stepped up with a loan to Swansea in the Premier League, with the jump between Championship and Fulham being shorter than Championship and Tottenham, I do think we should perhaps give him another loan at the end of the year to a higher Championship side. Let's not forget that Steven Caulker is in his 6th full season in professional football, Dan Burn is only in his second. Dan Burn is still making mistakes, as he's still learning, there is a lot of ironing out to do for him, otherwise he'll begin to look like a young English Philippe Senderos and get absolutely slaughtered on here.

This isn't a defence of Martin Jol, but it's a defence of the philosophy. There clearly is a path to the first team shown by the first team runs given to Kacaniklic and Kasami, but they both earned those runs with positive showings on loan. Our academy is in good hands, and although you may not believe in Martin Jol, you should believe in Malcolm Elias, Steve Wigley and Huw Jennings in providing the best way of development to our young players.

TonyGilroy

Absolutely agree.

Treated properly we could and should have a constant supply of top class young talent in a year or two.

Their confidence should not be shattered by being promoted too quickly into a situation where they can't cope.

Too much wishful thinking by some I think.

Basil

I think since of all of the calls for youth come from watching Bent/ Berba and others showing precious little hunger for the cause and thinking they are so ineffective the youth could hardly do worse. I mean however raw could Dembele have been as ineffectual as Berba versus Saints?

FFC1987

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 07, 2013, 01:43:52 PM

Absolutely agree.

Treated properly we could and should have a constant supply of top class young talent in a year or two.

Their confidence should not be shattered by being promoted too quickly into a situation where they can't cope.

Too much wishful thinking by some I think.
Coupled with impatience.

MJG

I blogged about this subject at
http://www.vivaelfulham.co.uk/articles/youngsters-need-games-7-299.html

I believe that by 21/22 you should have played 50-100 first team games at some level.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Quote from: MJG on November 07, 2013, 02:03:27 PM
I blogged about this subject at
http://www.vivaelfulham.co.uk/articles/youngsters-need-games-7-299.html

I believe that by 21/22 you should have played 50-100 first team games at some level.

The stats above do make that a valid point, and it's probably an unwritten rule in academies. Though I wouldn't say if it doesn't happen, you're not a quality footballer.

NogoodBoyo

100% correct, although there will be players who have the skill, mental qualities AND physicality to thrive at the top level.  Just look at George North of Wales in rugby.  Battering and tap-dancing his way through seasoned professionals as if they were feathers.  In fact, the very young Welsh rugby team contradicts the view that we have to wait.  What young players do need is the correct development in terms of coaching and man management.
Nogood "thereware then, you've come full bloody circle back to Jol and Co, isit" Boyo

HatterDon

But, on the other hand, with Dave out for more than a month, a little Dembele on the bench for a late run-out is better than having no striker at all all to back up Berba and Bent.

Just as you never get a single goal from a shot you don't take, you never have a young player [or players] provide the spark an aging and moribund side needs, IF YOU NEVER PLAY ONE.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

premFlem

Quote from: HatterDon on November 08, 2013, 10:48:46 PM
But, on the other hand, with Dave out for more than a month, a little Dembele on the bench for a late run-out is better than having no striker at all all to back up Berba and Bent.

Just as you never get a single goal from a shot you don't take, you never have a young player [or players] provide the spark an aging and moribund side needs, IF YOU NEVER PLAY ONE.
spot on, these young men deserve the chance before rigor mortis sets in
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away