watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Peaks and Troughs

Started by MoS, November 08, 2013, 12:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoS

I've been going to Fulham for 20 years and like others have rarely been as disinterested as I am now, having said that the way that I've started thinking about it is in terms of peaks and troughs, and at the moment we're in a big trough. If I think about my time, it maps something like this

Branfoot = Trough
Adams = Peak
Bracewell = Trough
Tigana = Peak
Coleman = Trough
Sanchez = Trough
Hodgson = Peak (a very big one)
Jol = Trough

the thing to remember is that things will get better, it might be in the Championship if Jol gets his way and perhaps we're all feeling so miserable now as Jol is such a contrast to the passion that the team showed during the Europa run etc, but things will get better.

MJG

Lighthouse

Why will things get better? This may be our last ever season in the Prem. We will look back on it as a time wasted when with a bit of investment and an attacking manager we may have continued our improvement. I think this is a time of deep regret. Poor football and the only thing coming from the club is the word 'sustainability'.

Really the fans should look in the last two seasons with distainability.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Denver Fulham

Most things are cyclical, but this trough was brought on unnecessarily. Either funding was withdrawn and/or management badly misestimated how we could get through a transition phase on the relative cheap.

I don't think anyone expects Fulham to regularly be challenging for European hardware, but what's happened the last 12 months has been terribly unnecessary. Anyone following the team knew we needed a quality young central midfielder in LAST August. The fact that, 15 months later, we're starting Steve Sidwell is emblematic of the entire failed approach.

It's frustrating and it didn't have to happen like this. Jol's lack of tactical/training answers this season are compounding it, but the harsh truth is we have a bad roster this season. No one would pay much of anything for any of our players.

nose

Quote from: Denver Fulham on November 08, 2013, 03:19:19 PM
Most things are cyclical, but this trough was brought on unnecessarily. Either funding was withdrawn and/or management badly misestimated how we could get through a transition phase on the relative cheap.

I don't think anyone expects Fulham to regularly be challenging for European hardware, but what's happened the last 12 months has been terribly unnecessary. Anyone following the team knew we needed a quality young central midfielder in LAST August. The fact that, 15 months later, we're starting Steve Sidwell is emblematic of the entire failed approach.

It's frustrating and it didn't have to happen like this.

Unfortunately the 'transition' word isn't appropriate IMO. We didn't need to transform, but we have. We transformed from a good team with a strong work ethic and never say die attitude and brilliant team spirit. to one in which we have little or any of those things.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: nose on November 08, 2013, 03:22:13 PM
Unfortunately the 'transition' word isn't appropriate IMO. We didn't need to transform, but we have. We transformed from a good team with a strong work ethic and never say die attitude and brilliant team spirit. to one in which we have little or any of those things.

Understood, but we needed to turn the roster over as it aged. Instead, we have ridden it out for an extra year, added more old guys to it, and the whole thing has fallen apart at the same time.

I don't think our players have quit or anything like that. I think they're older, slower and organized horribly by the gaffer.

MoS

Quote from: MJG on November 08, 2013, 01:06:11 PM
Wilkins?
Keegan?
Hughes?

yes, wasn't supposed to be a definitive history, more particular highs and lows that stand out

MoS

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 08, 2013, 01:24:32 PM
Why will things get better? This may be our last ever season in the Prem. We will look back on it as a time wasted when with a bit of investment and an attacking manager we may have continued our improvement. I think this is a time of deep regret. Poor football and the only thing coming from the club is the word 'sustainability'.

Really the fans should look in the last two seasons with distainability.

agree with the point about 'distainability' (good word), we might have to go through a lot of pain and relegation before things get better, but I'm sure a lot of fans would prefer to see us play exciting football and winning games in a lower division in a couple of years time than clinging on to premiership status and being totally medoicre