Soccer

Started by RidgeRider, January 30, 2010, 12:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

SOCCER
There I said it!  ;D

LBNo11

...FOOTBALL......FOOTBALL...

I know, it is petty, and the great Johnny Haynes in his books refers to the game as soccer, but in all my Fulham supporting life it is called football.

But in the spirit of this new section, you may refer to the sport as 's o c c e r' but don't tell anyone else...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

RidgeRider

Thanks LB! I don't think I have ever written the word 'soccer' on FoF  before, out of respect for your game.......so I just had to do it this one time. Truth be told, even in my conversations with my completely uninterested friends here in the US, I call it football and I swear they think I am some sort of elitist or something.

finnster01

Don't worry Mr Ridge. I have tried educating a whole neighbourhood in Harlem, New York City about soccer/football and why it is a better sport than basketball and all I get is blank stares. And whereas they used to think I was nuts, now they know for sure. Funny thing nobody has ever messed with me (other than some minor crap). I think I have been here long enough now to earn the respect of some of the locals that you need to know. I even went to the barber shop the other day, which was absolutely hilarious. They thought I was a cop :-) 
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

it's all about the cutesy Brits and how they like to play with the language in a child-like way:

Christmas Presents become Chrissy Prezzies
Rugby at Twickenham becomes Ruggers at Twickers
AND
asSOCiation football became SOCCER. It was the Brits that came up with the word, so don't get all snarky with us for slavishly following up your lead.

Rugger, Soccer. It certainly wasn't us who came up with it!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BarryP

Quote from: finnster01 on January 30, 2010, 12:50:46 AM
Don't worry Mr Ridge. I have tried educating a whole neighbourhood in Harlem, New York City about soccer/football and why it is a better sport than basketball and all I get is blank stares. And whereas they used to think I was nuts, now they know for sure. Funny thing nobody has ever messed with me (other than some minor crap). I think I have been here long enough now to earn the respect of some of the locals that you need to know. I even went to the barber shop the other day, which was absolutely hilarious. They thought I was a cop :-) 

Trying to garner footie recruits in Harlem!  Finn I know your a die hard but that's a bit like standing next to the entrance at the Cottage and telling footie loving folk what a fantastic sport basketball is. 

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at the barber shop.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Logicalman

I thought soccer was what you did when she didn't bring you another tinnie and we were losing the game.  Or was that called KickTheCat?