watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (13/11/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 13, 2013, 04:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham Eye Roberto Di Matteo And Dan Petrescu to Replace Martin Jol: Nightly Soccer Report

Roberto Di Matteo and Dan Petrescu are in the running to take over from Martin Jol as manager of Fulham, if you are to believe what The Daily Mail newspaper is reporting tonight.

The Mail is the first out of the starting blocks with rumors about Martin Jol's replacement. Expect the press speculation to mount in the coming days on both TV and in other newspapers. With it being the international break and a slower news cycle, the British tabloids are probably going to be all over this story this week.

So how much truth is there to seeing former Chelsea footballers Di Matteo or Petrescu (manager at Dynamo Moscow) managing the club down the road from the Stamford Bridge side? Absolutely zero. The article mentions no sources, and shines very little light on the situation. However in the world of football rumors, it's quite possible that someone may have given them a tip about the potential replacements for Jol — if Jol is even sacked.

Read more at http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/11/11/fulham-eye-roberto-di-matteo-and-dan-petrescu-to-replace-martin-jol-nightly-soccer-report/#dHD06ZqEEZgzjb6Z.99

WhiteJC

Southend extend loan for Fulham's Cauley Woodrow
FULHAM striker Cauley Woodrow, 18, has extended his loan spell with Southend until the end of the season.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/350312/Southend-extend-loan-for-Fulham-s-Cauley-Woodrow

WhiteJC

Jol told to blood Fulham youngsters

Boss Martin Jol is coming under pressure to give Fulham's talented academy and Under-21 squad chances but his job is safe for now.

The Dutchman appears to be in an unenviable position with pressure from above to blood the highly-rated crop of youngsters coming through while the threat of the axe hangs over his head with the Cottagers in the relegation zone. Former Chelsea player Dan Petrescu - currently manager at Dynamo Moscow - and ex-Stamford Bridge boss Roberto Di Matteo are among the early contenders to take over if the board lose their patience with Jol. The relationship between Jol and senior members of the academy had become strained in recent weeks over the former Tottenham manager's apparent reluctance to promote their promising youth players into the first-team set-up. But it is understood that there is now renewed hope that Jol is ready to look to the club's academy to halt the Whites' alarming slide down the table. Jol meets with academy director Huw Jennings every fortnight to discuss the progression of the likes of Moussa Dembele and Buomesca Tue Na Banga who have been integrated into first-team training after impressing at Under-21 level.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-told-to-blood-fulham-youngsters-1663563.html?

WhiteJC

Lee Clark: Just having a little breather out of it won't hurt Dan Burn along the way.

Birmingham City: Lee Clark explains to Colin Tattum why he decided to leave Dan Burn out of the team

Lee Clark has spoken about his decision to axe Dan Burn from the Birmingham City side.

And he said that, in an ideal world, he would be handling all of Blues' inexperienced players in a similar way.

Kyle Bartley kept his place in the team at Huddersfield Town, at Burn's expense.

Burn, however, responded with maturity and great determination when he came on as substitute, following Bartley's sending-off.

He made some key interceptions and headers to help protect Blues' 3-1 lead to the final whistle.

"The situation is that Dan is a very, very young man," said Clark, of the Fulham loanee, 21, who had not played in the Championship before.

"Central defence is a tough position for anybody, even experienced players. And he has been outstanding for us.

"He has had one or two moments, and I've had a good chat with him.

"Just having a little breather out of it won't hurt him along the way.

"In an ideal world I would like to do that with all the young players.

"At the moment they are having to play week in, week out and they are all having to play together. You would like to dip them in and out of games, let them have a breather, both mentally and physically.

"But, in our situation, it means these boys are carrying a lot of expectation on young shoulders.

"They are trying to cope with it, trying to do the right things.

"Unfortunately you get the up-and-down scenario, like we had in terms of (performances against) Stoke, Charlton and Huddersfield.

"So it's fasten-the-seat-belts time and get on the rollercoaster, isn't it? You have just got to try and hang in there."

Clark is without three of Blues' more seasoned campaigners through injury in Neal Eardley, David Murphy and Jonathan Spector.

Chris Burke came off at Huddersfield due to a heel and ankle problem, while Wade Elliott is suspended for one more game.

Two of Blues' younger charges, Callum Reilly and Tom Adeyemi, who have just turned 20 and 22 respectively, are holding sway for Clark in another important position.

The pair are anchoring the midfield in the 4-2-3-1 system.

And Clark said both were performing very well and helping Blues become more resolute on their travels.

"The structure of the team has been very solid in the last two games away from home,'' he said.

"The two boys in there are very high energy, they break the lines to get up and support, they want to keep bursting forward all the time.

"Away, it's like having them on a leash. We need that extra solidity so they have to be a little more disciplined and give us that base, with the two centre-backs.

"That allows the four attacking players freedom, to go and cause trouble to the opposition."

Jesse Lingard returned from injury to feature brightly in that attacking line-up at Huddersfield.

Clark said of the Manchester United loanee: "He was excellent.

"I think him returning and his performance showed just how important he is to us."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-lee-clark-explains-6294607?

WhiteJC

The players Fulham could buy and sell in the January transfer window

The January transfer window is fast approaching and will give the capital's Premier League clubs the chance to freshen up their squads.

Standard Sport runs the rule over Martin Jol's possible targets if he remains at the Fulham helm and identifies those who could be on borrowed time.

BUY - Ola Toivonen: PSV forward Toivonen may be heading for the Premier League in January and Fulham are keeping an eye on the Sweden international. Toivonen, 27, is out of contract next summer and has refused to commit his future to PSV. He can play as a striker or midfielder and would give Martin Jol another attacking option. He could be available for around £2million, with West Ham and Newcastle also interested.

BUY - Clint Dempsey: Martin Jol has played down suggestions that Dempsey will return to Craven Cottage but the American could be set for a return to the Premier League in January. Dempsey, 30, left Tottenham to join Seattle Sounders in the summer but could return to England for three months during the MLS close season. He will weigh up his options next month and is likely to move somewhere he will play regularly.
AP

BUY - Aiden McGeady: McGeady has been linked with a move to Craven Cottage and would offer Fulham width, something that has been lacking this season. McGeady's contract at Spartak Moscow expires next summer but the Russian side are said to be holding out for at least £6million. McGeady, 27, is known to be keen on a move to the Premier League.
GETTY

SELL - John Arne Riise: Riise is considering his future at Fulham and may leave Craven Cottage on a free transfer. The left-back is unhappy at a lack of opportunities under Martin Jol and is open-minded about a move. Riise, who has made only two Premier League starts this season, has under a year remaining on his contract and will be allowed to depart for nothing.
Getty Images

SELL - David Stockdale: Martin Jol says Stockdale is staying but the 28-year-old may be allowed to leave on loan if Fulham sign another goalkeeper in January. Stockdale is back up for Maarten Stekelenburg and has ambitions of getting into the England squad ahead of next summer's World Cup. But Stockdale, who has played nine times this season when Stekelenburg was injured, knows he needs first-team football to be impressing Roy Hodgson.
GETTY

SELL - Neil Etheridge: If Stockdale does not leave, Etheridge could be allowed to go on loan. The 23-year-old goalkeeper is highly regarded by Jol but has found opportunities limited in recent seasons. Etheridge has previously spent time on loan at Bristol Rovers last season. Midfielder Buomesca Tue Na Bangna, 20, could also leave on loan to get some regular first-team football.
GETTY

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/the-players-fulham-could-buy-and-sell-in-the-january-transfer-window-8934306.html

WhiteJC

Exclusive - Davis: Fulham must keep faith with Jol

Sean Davis believes Fulham must keep faith with Martin Jol – despite their awful form.

The Cottagers have lost their previous three Premier League matches, including a 4-0 hammering to Liverpool last Saturday, and the Dutchman's future in south west London has come under the spotlight.

But Davis, who worked under the ex-Tottenham boss during their time together at White Hart Lane, claims new owner Shahid Khan should stick with Jol.

"I've got a lot of faith in Martin Jol," he told talkSPORT. "Fulham have got such a talented squad, we don't need to hit the panic button. He's a good coach, they need to keep the faith and things should turn around.

"I've worked under him and he's a good coach.

"It's too easy to sack the manager nowadays. They don't get the chance to stick at it and it's an easy solution to sack him. That would be the wrong call.

"They need to keep the faith in Jol and this squad of players"

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-davis-fulham-must-keep-faith-jol-13111267840#5ZuBek3wGxfIVKcx.99

WhiteJC

Those shots...

We are only beating a dead horse because the powers that be haven't removed said horse.

This from stats bomb.

Oh dear.  We're so bad it's sad.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/those-shots/?

WhiteJC

Roy Recalls

Ex-Fulham and now England manager Roy Hodgson will be an interested spectator when Italy face Nigeria at Craven Cottage on Monday 18th November. Among the most-respected names in world football, Hodgson spent two spells at Italian giants Inter Milan in the 1990s as well as a short stint with Udinese. Talking to Fulham legend Les Strong in the matchday programme for the Italy v Nigeria game, Hodgson recalls his time in Serie A.

The 90s were a real golden era for Serie A. What were your emotions when appointed Inter Milan boss in 1995?

I was very proud, of course. There aren't that many English managers who have worked in Italy or to the level of Inter - one of the biggest clubs. I must say that during the time I was there, the club was very much in a transition period and hadn't won the league for a very long time. It wasn't quite the Inter we saw win the UEFA Champions League in 2010 and there weren't many big names, either. Paul Ince was probably the biggest star in the team, but apart from him there weren't many. It was very different in those terms, but it was still a massive club with a massive support. Luckily it went reasonably well and I enjoyed my time there.

Inter were bottom of Serie A when you arrived at the San Siro, so it was literally a case of the only way being up, as it proved with you guiding the team to a seventh-placed finish in 1995/96. How difficult was that?

The players made it easier for me. They took to my new ideas very well. I was a little concerned as the likes of Guiseppe Bergomi had won the World Cup with Italy, playing all his life as man marker. So to be suddenly transformed into a zonal marking full-back was a tremendous effort on his part. The same goes for the centre-backs, [Massimo] Paganin and [Gianluca] Festa. They took a little while to adjust to a different style of play, but Paul was a great help in midfield, driving on. He was fully au fait with the system. We had a very good bunch. There weren't any stars to talk of, but they were a very good team. I enjoyed that first year and the following season was a little more successful as we finished third and reached the UEFA Cup Final. I still found that first year every bit as enjoyable.

So, from the bottom of Serie A when you first arrived, your last game in charge at Inter was the 1997 UEFA Cup Final, losing to Schalke. Do you regret leaving the club soon after, especially when Massimo Moratti asked you to stay?

The owner offered me a new contract, that's correct, and he wanted me to stay, but I thought the offer from Blackburn [Rovers] was very interesting for me. I thought also that after two years at Inter, Moratti would prefer a change, although he was insistent that he wanted me to stay. In some ways I regret leaving as I really enjoyed my time at the club, but my career has gone very well since then so I cannot say that I totally look back with any major regrets. I was privileged to be there and privileged to be invited back a little while after for a short period. Inter will always be an important part of my footballing life. I have more gratitude and pleasure at being given the chance there than any regrets at leaving when I did.

So do you look back on your time in Italy with fond memories?

Italy was fantastic. Udinese was different. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. It was very different from what I had experienced at Inter, so I can't say it was such a glorious chapter in my career. I certainly have fond memories of Inter and Italy, though. I like Italy very much and the people – there's nothing remotely negative that I can say about it. I think about Italy with nothing but positives.

How has Italian football developed since in the time you spent there?

Well, the Italians are still very successful and were runners-up at the last European Championships, so not much has changed in that regard. They did well in the Confederations Cup and I think Cesare Prandelli is doing an excellent job. He has moved the country forward again, but they've never really been away from the top. They've always been among the top echelons of top countries, especially in Europe. Italy's current success is a sign that football in their country remains in good health and it's also a sign of the good job Prandelli has done. When he took over, the team was in a transition – similar to what I found when I took over at England – and he has guided them through that.

Italy face Nigeria at Craven Cottage and during your spell as Inter manager you had Super Eagles legend Nwankwo Kanu within your ranks. He was only 20, but what are your memories of him?

I didn't get to work him for that long, unfortunately. We signed him and he came on a pre-season tour to Spain, playing in Barcelona. We played Barca and San Lorenzo from Argentina before going back to Italy, playing friendlies in Vicenza and Udine. He played in those, but soon after he was diagnosed with a heart problem and had to go to America to be operated on. In fact, I only saw him once more before I left the club. It was only when he was at Portsmouth that I saw more of him. He had an incredible career and showed what he was capable of. That year he was away, we really missed him at Inter. We had to play the whole year without him and with him in the team we would have much better, much stronger. I'm just pleased for him that his condition was diagnosed and treated. Now, 17 years down the line, he has enjoyed an excellent career.

Pele famously said he expected an African team to win the World Cup before the 21st century. As we know, that didn't happen, but how do you rate the chances of a team from the continent in Brazil next year?

I think they may have a stronger chance than any of the European teams to be perfectly honest because of the climate. That's not all, though. There are many African players out there of excellent quality now. They play in the top European leagues and that makes the African nations very strong. Nigeria have traditionally been one of the strongest, with some famous names in their team

Whoever is at the game on Monday night will see two very good teams and it will be an exciting outcome. Who knows, we even see a little pointer for how things will go in Brazil.

To read this exclusive interview in full, be sure to pick up a copy of the commemorative matchday programme on the night.

Tickets for the game are on sale now, priced from £20 adults and £10 for juniors. All prices will increase by £5 on Wednesday 13th November, 5pm.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/12/roy-recalls?

WhiteJC

Spurs 2-2 Fulham U18s

A breathtaking Whites team move opened the scoring in this top-of-the-table clash with Spurs, which ended all square.

Tottenham Hotspur 2-2 Fulham, Barclays U18 Premier League

Fulham's Under-18s picked up a point in a 2-2 draw in their top-of-the-table clash at Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

After a frantic start, George Williams almost put Fulham in front in the 12th minute, but his shot hit the inside of the post after good interplay between Moussa Dembele, Emerson Hyndman and Patrick Roberts.

But the Whites took the lead just two minutes later. Dembele did brilliantly to hold the ball up before playing in Solomon Sambou to fire home.

Marek Rodak kept the visitors in the ascendency with a fine stop as a Spurs player burst clear, before Roberts forced a good save from the Tottenham goalkeeper as the Whites went into the break 1-0 up.

Fulham squandered two good chances to increase their advantage after the internal and they were punished when Spurs hit them on the break to level the scores through Josh Onomah with a scrambled effort on 56 minutes.

And the Whites were stunned three minutes later when Shayon Harrison rifled home from 25 yards to hand the hosts the lead.

Spurs saw further opportunities come and go before Fulham levelled from the spot, Dembele slotting home on 68 minutes after Hyndman had been fouled in the box.

As the rain fell down, Rodak made a late stop as the game neared its conclusion and in the end a draw was a fair result.

Fulham: Rodak, Sheckleford, Donnelly, Burgess, Edun (Baba 85), Hyndman (Smile 80), Sambou, Roberts, Evans (O'Halloran 70), Williams, Dembele.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/12/spurs-u18s-video?

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

I feared the worst ahead of our trip to Liverpool last weekend and unfortunately those concerns came true. The worrying thing wasn't just the scoreline, it was the performance and the four we conceded could have been a whole lot more.

When the first goal went in the heads just seemed to drop and that's what happens when you're down the bottom. I've been in similar situations and it's hard but when confidence is low, you just need to baton down the hatches and do your upmost to improve. If performances get better, the results will follow. There's no substitute for hard work and there's no excuse for not working hard. I'm trying not to be too critical but as a team we haven't worked hard enough this season - that's not pointing the finger at anyone specifically, it's a collective thing. You have to be showing that you're making that effort and not sinking into that trap where everyone's feeling sorry for themselves.

We've slipped into the bottom three now which doesn't make good reading but I still maintain that we've got better players than at least six other clubs. It doesn't take a lot to get out of that position. Look at Newcastle United – all of a sudden they've got wins against Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur and got six points by virtue of tough, gritty performances and everyone putting their bodies on the line. Now it's time for Fulham to do that. We don't have to look pretty – at the moment results are the main thing.

Losing Sascha Riether for three games was a blow but he only has himself to blame after his stamp on Adnan Januzaj. I was commentating on the game and the slow motion replay didn't make good viewing. It was quite out of character for Sascha but he's got no excuse.

A lot has been made of the reaction of the fans when Bryan Ruiz was substituted against United and it doesn't help anyone. Bryan Ruiz is Bryan Ruiz – you're never going to get him running about and closing people down, it's just not in his nature. When he's not doing what he can do very well - manipulate the football and create and take chances - then you can have a moan. But you can't have a go at him for not running around like a lunatic. Yes, he maybe needs to show a bit more willing but he's a classy player and the fans need to get behind him and the team.

I'm commentating on the Swansea City match at the Cottage and it's a really big one for Fulham. Swansea aren't doing that well this season either as they've had the UEFA Europa League to contend with. Hopefully they'll still be without Miguel Michu as he's a big player for them and he's been injured of late.

They're a team that can really keep the ball well and the home fans will have to be a little bit patient if we don't have as much possession as the Swans. If we're not winning after 15 or 20 minutes we don't need the home support getting on the backs of the players. It's a time for everyone to stick together. It's hard as fans and the players can understand their frustrations. But if I was playing I'd be hoping that everyone gets behind the team and helps us to get the three points.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/12/the-tony-gale-column?

WhiteJC

New Name in the Frame!

With Martin Jol`s future, as the manager of Fulham Football Club, being monitored very carefully, the tabloid press has thrown another name into the hat with regards to a possible replacement.

This time they`re suggesting that those who make such delicate decisions are taking a serious look at the Romanian currently in charge of Dinimo Moscow - Dan Petrescu

Petrescu has yet to manage a Premier League club but had a very successful playing career, in the Premier League, with our near-neighbours Chelsea.

Now in his forties, Petrescu is establishing quite a reputation in Russian football and it`ll be interesting to see if he could be the fresh young face that turns our clubs fortunes around.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=338688#ixzz2kV2L8d00

WhiteJC

Ruiz

Just reading back over Bryan Ruiz's career, there is a lot to puzzle over. (this is all straight from wikipedia by the way).

He started his career at Alajuelense, in the lowest Costa Rican division, and played as part of a front three.

Somehow or other this led to a move to Gent in Belgium. Here, he was captain and top scorer. He ended up with 26 goals in 78 games.

Read that again: imagine if he were made captain here... what Gent probably saw was their best player, a good, reliable teammate, and someone players respected. So why not make him captain?

Then he moved to Twente in the Dutch league. Now, we all know about the Dutch league and the goals people get there, but nevertheless, score he did, nabbing 35 in 65 games. At one point he scored in 10 straight matches. Against Sparta Rotterdam he scored a hat-trick in four minutes.

*480p* Ruiz scores a hattrick against Sparta within 5 minutes. FC TWENTE - SPARTA ALL GOALS 3-0.

His team won the league for the first time ever. He scored 24 that season.

For Costa Rica (whose fans will need World Cup tickets by the way!) he has scored 12 in 61 games, which isn't all that special given the circles they move in (he has scored against Panama, Haiti, Mexico, USA, Suriname, Grenada, Chile, New Zealand, Honduras) and perhaps this gives us more of a clue. (He has played five Champions League games without a goal and 12 Europa League games with similar blankness, and indeed, was substituted in six of the games).

So I don't know. A respected scout on twitter said at the time Fulham signed him that he thought it was an odd move, and while Newcastle (and their much approved scouting network) were also in for him, perhaps in retrospect it wasn't the greatest move for everyone. I say this as a huge fan of his, and I do believe that he has been one of our more useful players, but within the context of a relatively handy first team player, not the star people thought they were getting.

£11m or whatever he cost isn't nothing but it is a sort of middle ground where you're certainly not getting a star. Really it's a going rate for a good player, which he pretty much is. The problem for Ruiz is that he's joined a club where £11m isn't spent on players very often and when it is, there are expectations.

There are huge positives: his goals have been things of beauty, and that is something. But it also tells its own story – where are the tap ins, the near post headers, the bundled messes that every team needs to sustain itself over a season? Has he been played in the wrong roles? Has he been playing within himself? We don't know, can't know, and that's the frustration.

If he's had barracking from Fulham fans you can bet he'd have had the same or worse from others. Like I say, I really, really like Ruiz, but if you're trying to think about the next iteration of Fulham then you have some tough decisions to make. With Ruiz you almost need to build a system around him and run everything through him. Will we do that? Or do we forget about this season and start anew? His spectacular left foot means he can probably be sold on at a decent price, and there is a good argument that his skills would suit Spain better anyway.

Ultimately he's just one of about 20 enigmas this season.

It's a shame Brazil's so far away. With Roy at the helm I'd be quite up for England tickets, and I'd definitely be cheering Bryan on, too.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/ruiz-2/?

WhiteJC

And while I'm here

http://www.statsbomb.com/2013/11/statsbomb-mythbusting-christian-eriksen-vs-newcastle/

This is a fabulous look at the stats v eyes debate, from the perspective of a Spurs game. Really worth a read.

I think this gets to the heart of the Ruiz thing, too.  Ruiz isn't the player that Eriksen is (or is he?  If Eriksen was playing for Fulham...) but he's trying the same kinds of things.  The numbers say that Eriksen was amazing for Spurs against Newcastle. Fans say he was awful.  Ruiz was much the same last year for Fulham, with Whoscored.com having him as our joint best player with Berbatov, and fans... well you know what fans think.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/and-while-im-here/?

WhiteJC

Banya's Woking Win

Charles Banya helped Woking to a vital victory in the Skrill Conference Premier on Tuesday evening, as three goals in 15 second-half minutes saw off the challenge of Dartford.

Scott Rendell almost headed his side into the lead when he met a Banya corner in the first minute, before debutant Jack Marriott – on loan from Ipswich Town – fired a powerful effort just wide of the post from some way out.

Rendell saw two more chances come and go, the second of which was created by Banya, with Dartford's first real opportunity arriving in the 22nd minute when they saw three shots blocked in quick succession following a corner.

In the second half, Rendell saw a goal ruled out for offside but the Kingfield crowd didn't have to wait too long for the deadlock to break, as Marriott got on the end of a diagonal pass to poke the ball beyond the goalkeeper on 63 minutes.

After the Darts had squandered a couple of chances to equalise, the influential Banya set up Marriott for another shooting opportunity but the striker saw his attempt well saved. He was involved for the second goal in the 75th minute, though, as his square ball was converted by Rendell.

And two minutes later the game was sewn up when Joe McNerney flicked home Josh Payne's free-kick. Banya and Rendell could have added some further gloss to the scoreline but saw their efforts fly wide, and it mattered little as the Cards moved to within a point of Dartford in the Conference relegation spots.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/13/banyas-woking-win?

WhiteJC

Three men, one spot - Which Prem keeper will start for Holland?

Fulham, Swansea City and Newcastle United men are battling for World Cup spots.

Three Premier League goalkeepers are set to go into battle as they look to secure a place in Holland's 2014 World Cup squ

Maarten Stekelenburg (Fulham), Michel Vorm (Swansea) and Tim Krul (Newcastle) are all fighting to catch Louis van Gaal's attention as the World Cup looms ever nearer. The latest squad for friendlies against Japan and Colombia makes for bad reading for Vorm, with Ajax's Jasper Cillessen getting the nod over the former Utrecht stopper.

The friendlies may just be used as an opportunity to test some players out, but whilst Vorm made the preliminary squad for these fixtures, PSV's 22 year old goalkeeper Jeroen Zoet is also breathing down his neck.

Stekelenburg has been the long-term shot stopper for Holland, and with 54 caps to his name, is generally a trusted figure between the sticks. However, a poor showing at the European Championship in 2012 had people calling for a replacement, and has struggled to impress van Gaal since. His spell in Serie A with Roma was also underwhelming, which led to his £4.5m summer transfer to Fulham, where he has struggled with injuries. It's fair to say that the former Ajax man needs a strong second half of the season if he is to play himself back into contention.

Meanwhile, Newcastle's Tim Krul is coming off the back of one of the finest Premier League goalkeeping displays in recent memory, making 14 saves – most of them spectacular – to hand the Magpies an unlikely 1-0 win. Krul got the nod in van Gaal's first competitive fixture against Turkey in September 2012, and at just 25 years old, looks to be the future of goalkeeping for the national team. With displays like the one on Sunday, Krul will hold onto the #1 jersey for a long time yet.

Finally, Vorm has been axed from the squad in favour of in form Cillessen, and with his club side Swansea having an indifferent start to the season, Vorm is another keeper who needs to rediscover his form ahead of the tournament. Krul has almost certainly passed him in the pecking order right now, and with youngsters Cillessen and Zoet emerging, Vorm may find himself sat at home watching the Oranje on TV, rather than making an impact on the field.

It may seem knee-jerk after his incredible display on Sunday, but with Stekelenburg and Vorm both looking to rediscover their form, and Cillessen and Zoet untested at international level, Krul appears to have a great chance of earning the #1 jersey ahead of next summer. Alan Pardew believes Krul is one of the best goalkeepers in the Premier League, and a strong showing at the World Cup could just prove that.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2013/11/13/three-men-one-spot-which-prem-keeper-will-start-for-holland/?

WhiteJC

Bid For Players' Shirts

You could be the proud owner of a rare piece of Fulham memorabilia as we have put the players' match-worn shirts from Saturday's game with Liverpool on eBay to raise money for The Royal British Legion.

The shirts feature a poppy on the chest in honour of Remembrance Day, and will be personally signed – with a message of your choice – by the relevant player.

The shirts will remain on eBay until 10am on Wednesday 20th November, so get bidding today for your chance to win a one of a kind piece of Fulham kit. Just follow this link to be directed to the relevant eBay page.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/fulhamfcfoundation/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

100 percent of the final sale price will be donated to The Royal British Legion. The Royal British Legion safeguards the welfare, interests and memory of those who are serving or who have served in the Armed Forces. They are one of the UK's largest membership organisations and are recognised as custodians of Remembrance. The Royal British Legion also runs the annual Poppy Appeal.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/13/bid-for-players-shirts?

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Fulham won't let David Stockdale leave on loan

David Stockdale: Back on the bench after covering for Maarten Stekelenburg

Fulham boss Martin Jol will block any loan move for David Stockdale unless he brings in another goalkeeper in January.

The 28-year-old has been allowed to leave Craven Cottage on a regular basis in the past - taking in spells at five different clubs in the last five years.

Stockdale has had to go in search of regular football elsewhere after seeing his route to the Fulham first team blocked by Mark Schwarzer.

The experienced Australian moved on over the summer, but Maarten Stekelenburg has been drafted in as his successor.

An injury to the Dutch shot-stopper at the start of the season offered Stockdale a rare nine-game run in the side, but he has since been dropped back to the bench.

Another loan switch has been mooted, but Jol will only sanction an exit if he can bring in cover when the transfer window re-opens.

He said in the Fulham Chronicle: "Stockdale has played a lot of games in the Premier League and was fine at the start of the season.

"Last time (when he was dropped) he was probably not as happy as I hoped he would be but, on the other hand, he's ambitious because he wants to be in goal.

"If I had another very good goalkeeper I would probably send him on loan."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9023970/transfer-news-fulham-wont-let-david-stockdale-leave-on-loan?

WhiteJC

Meulensteen Arrives

Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Rene Meulensteen as Head Coach.

Meulensteen joins the Club with immediate effect working alongside Manager Martin Jol.

Meulensteen had worked at Manchester United for more than a decade and alongside Sir Alex Ferguson during a second spell at Old Trafford between 2007 and last summer.

Fulham FC Chief Executive Officer, Alistair Mackintosh said: "We're all delighted to welcome Rene to Fulham. There was always going to be a battle for Rene's services and, with the assistance of our Chairman Shahid Khan, we've been able to bring one of the best coaches in the world to Fulham."  

Meulensteen added: 
"I was impressed by the vision of Shahid Khan and Alistair Mackintosh. I've spent many hours talking with Martin Jol and we share a vision of how football should be played and how players should be developed. It's our job to make sure we can bring this vision to life on the pitch for the fans."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/13/meulensteen-arrives?

WhiteJC

René Meulensteen joins Fulham as head coach to work with Martin Jol
• Dutchman shared in Manchester United success
• Club hails 'one of best coaches in the world'

Martin Jol will be assisted by the newly appointed head coach René Meulensteen (right) at Fulham.
Photographs: PA

Fulham have appointed René Meulensteen as head coach to work alongside his fellow Dutchman, the manager Martin Jol.

Meulensteen worked at Manchester United alongside Sir Alex Ferguson from 2007 to the summer when he left the club following David Moyes's appointment.

He had been linked with the vacant Crystal Palace job after Aitor Karanka opted to join Middlesbrough ahead of the south London club.

The Fulham chief executive officer, Alistair Mackintosh, told the club website: "We're all delighted to welcome René to Fulham. There was always going to be a battle for René's services and, with the assistance of our chairman Shahid Khan, we've been able to bring one of the best coaches in the world to Fulham."

The move to bring in Meulensteen comes with the club inside the relegation places after 11 games.

Meulensteen, who will take up the post immediately, said: "I was impressed by the vision of Shahid Khan and Alistair Mackintosh. I've spent many hours talking with Martin Jol and we share a vision of how football should be played and how players should be developed. It's our job to make sure we can bring this vision to life on the pitch for the fans."

Meulensteen's last job was in Russia in July at Anzhi Makhachkala, who he joined as assistant coach to another Dutchman, Guus Hiddink. However, Hiddink left the club two games into the season after which Meulensteen only lasted 16 days as manager.

Fulham have lost their last three matches and lie 18th in the league.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/13/rene-meulensteen-coach-fulham-martin-jol?

WhiteJC

Rene Meulensteen joins Fulham as head coach - but former Manchester United assistant will work alongside Martin Jol, rather than replace him

Dutchman had been linked with the vacancy at Crystal Palace

Fulham have announced that Rene Meulensteen has been appointed as head coach - but rather than sacking current manager Martin Jol, the new man will work alongside the beleaguered Dutchman.

Meulensteen had been strongly linked with the vacancy at Crystal Palace, but instead joins the Cottagers with immediate effect.

The appointment comes as Fulham slipped into the bottom three following three straight league defeats that had been a serious concern for the west London club.  In the recent games against Manchester United and Liverpool, the Cottagers were 3-0 down at half-time and showed few signs of promise.

Jol had been the bookmakers' favourite to be the next Premier League to be sacked but the appointment of Meulensteen appears to have given the former Tottenham and Ajax manager a reprieve.

Fulham chief executive officer, Alistair Mackintosh said: "We're all delighted to welcome Rene to Fulham. There was always going to be a battle for Rene's services and, with the assistance of our Chairman Shahid Khan, we've been able to bring one of the best coaches in the world to Fulham."

Meulensteen comes with a high pedigree having worked at Manchester United for more than a decade and alongside Sir Alex Ferguson during a second spell at Old Trafford between 2007 and last summer. It's understood that Jol wanted to bring Meulensteen to Craven Cottage during the summer.

Meulensteen said: "I was impressed by the vision of Shahid Khan and Alistair Mackintosh. I've spent many hours talking with Martin Jol and we share a vision of how football should be played and how players should be developed. It's our job to make sure we can bring this vision to life on the pitch for the fans."

Fulham's next game is at home to Swansea before an away trip to fellow strugglers West Ham.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/rene-meulensteen-joins-fulham-as-head-coach--but-former-manchester-united-assistant-will-work-alongside-martin-jol-rather-than-replace-him-8937231.html