Main Menu

On the Official - Rene Arrives

Started by PLB, November 13, 2013, 01:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCByTheRiver

Quote from: EJL on November 13, 2013, 02:16:54 PM
Quote from: BenjyUK on November 13, 2013, 02:12:26 PM
Quote from: EJL on November 13, 2013, 02:00:43 PM
"I've spent many hours talking with Martin Jol and we share a vision of how football should be played and how players should be developed"

Which vision is that then? The one that's as exciting as taking a s**t after a hunger strike, or the one that encourages two identical players who aren't great at attacking nor defending attempting to shield the defence and supply the strikers at the same time?

Does Meulensteen believe ostracising £4 million-rated young players for the best part of two seasons is an example of 'how players should be developed'? How about hauling your young players off at halftime or dropping them for absolutely no reason after a decent performance?

You're right, he was probably, in his very first official message in his new role, going to say something like 'Jol's a p**** ain't he'.
Hey, at least that would've been memorable.

Obviously I'm blowing the comment out of proportion, but it's a pretty funny thing for a Fulham fan to read having witnessed Jol contradict Meulensteen's comments about the 'right way of doing things' over the past year.

Haha. I know. It's just standard BS football speak though isn't it...like every post-match player interview ever.

God The Mechanic

If he isn't the planned successor for Jol, then it will likely be a big selling point for the club.  Good youth academy, successful across a variety of age groups, one of the most highly respected youth coaches/co-ordinators in England, and SAF's head coach.  If they promise and deliver money then they should be able to get a very decent young, middling manager in.

Aaron

Quote from: kempkong on November 13, 2013, 02:08:19 PM
This is brilliant and clearly the club addressing the problem. Sacking jol and getting someone else doesn't mean we will improve (Sunderland) but helping jol (he is a good manager despite some of the views on here) will correct some of the playing issues.
If jol is the clubs choice they must back him in the next window though.

Let's be fair we have never replaced lewington

Sorry.. What?

Sunderland, who have beaten Man City, Southampton and Newcastle in a derby game in their last 4 matches and lost the other 1-0 without a goalkeeper and with 9 men on the pitch haven't improved since they got a new manager?

Also, I'm willing to acknowledge that you think Jol is a good manager, but I'd like you to qualify that statement using examples of what he has done to prove that to us during his tenure at Fulham.

This is a good move, but only if Jol's sole purpose at the club is to drum up players that we wouldn't otherwise be able to attract to the club.  If he's still picking the team and calling the shots tactically, I'm not sure what difference this is going to make.  I wish they'd just sacked him.

Stoked to have Rene on board though, this have surely got to improve now.. But maybe not as dramatically as they would had we binned Jol altogether.

Big Martin Jol

I don't want to sound too pessimistic but we shouldn't expect an IMMEDIATE upturn in fortunes for the Swansea match. These things take longer than ten days - especially when two thirds of your squad are gallivanting around the world on international duty.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

EJL

Quote from: FFC1987 on November 13, 2013, 02:16:34 PM
Quote from: EJL on November 13, 2013, 02:14:06 PM
Despite my remaining wish for Jol to leave the club, I find myself looking forward to a Fulham game for the first time in ages. Swansea will probably beat us by a good few goals, but I won't mind too much as long as there are clear improvements on display. Good luck, Zellweger, and be ready to take the wheel.

As much as i'm excited by this move, I think we need to give Rene a good month to show some signs of what he brings to the table. However in that month, let's hope Jol's antics improve somewhat!
For sure, but I'd be a bit worried if, after a few days' worth of new ideas and training, there was no change in approach whatsoever. I don't expect us to wipe the floor with Swansea (or any other team), but I want a sign of improvement. For example, Berbatov looking like he actually cares would be a good start.

EJL

Quote from: Aaron on November 13, 2013, 02:19:08 PM
Quote from: kempkong on November 13, 2013, 02:08:19 PM
This is brilliant and clearly the club addressing the problem. Sacking jol and getting someone else doesn't mean we will improve (Sunderland) but helping jol (he is a good manager despite some of the views on here) will correct some of the playing issues.
If jol is the clubs choice they must back him in the next window though.

Let's be fair we have never replaced lewington

Sorry.. What?

Sunderland, who have beaten Man City, Southampton and Newcastle in a derby game in their last 4 matches and lost the other 1-0 without a goalkeeper and with 9 men on the pitch haven't improved since they got a new manager?

Also, I'm willing to acknowledge that you think Jol is a good manager, but I'd like you to qualify that statement using examples of what he has done to prove that to us during his tenure at Fulham.

This is a good move, but only if Jol's sole purpose at the club is to drum up players that we wouldn't otherwise be able to attract to the club.  If he's still picking the team and calling the shots tactically, I'm not sure what difference this is going to make.  I wish they'd just sacked him.

Stoked to have Rene on board though, this have surely got to improve now.. But maybe not as dramatically as they would had we binned Jol altogether.

I think he was talking about Sunderland sacking O'Neill and bringing in Di Canio, although there is an argument to be made that he was initially what they needed (with the increased urgency, derby win and, of course, keeping them up).

EJL

Quote from: Northern Cottager on November 13, 2013, 02:17:19 PM
If he is here it will also help attract some decent talent I imagine. I also think we lack some good coaching, a good move and a ready made manager when Jol gets the chop.

Good point. If we still find ourselves in the mire come January and in desperate need of new talent, at least we'll have the reputation of Jol and Meulensteen to bring a few people in.

LBNo11

...this is good news, and with the 'coach' having excellent credentials, things are looking up..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

EJL

Quote from: horse1031 on November 13, 2013, 02:13:48 PM
Letter from a Man U fan after he left for Russia.  Pretty dramatic but shows how much he did for them.

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/10/21/an-open-letter-to-rene-meulensteen-from-a-manchester-united-fan/

Crikey, did Ian McEwan write that letter?

Jimpav

This is fantastic news. We now have someone to fill Jols role when he gets the sack.

Sammyffc

In the brain of frankie boyle i hope this brings sexy football back to fulham of which i can masturbate to .. sorry admin .

JBH

Quote from: Swiss72 on November 13, 2013, 01:49:11 PM
Could we not just take this as a positive development instead of already questioning the circumstances?? Could have been much worse.
:plus one: lets give the negative crap a break 065.gif

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: EJL on November 13, 2013, 02:20:01 PM
Despite my remaining wish for Jol to leave the club, I find myself looking forward to a Fulham game for the first time in ages. Swansea will probably beat us by a good few goals, but I won't mind too much as long as there are clear improvements on display. Good luck, Zellweger, and be ready to take the wheel.

As much as i'm excited by this move, I think we need to give Rene a good month to show some signs of what he brings to the table. However in that month, let's hope Jol's antics improve somewhat!
For sure, but I'd be a bit worried if, after a few days' worth of new ideas and training, there was no change in approach whatsoever. I don't expect us to wipe the floor with Swansea (or any other team), but I want a sign of improvement. For example, Berbatov looking like he actually cares would be a good start.

Or, better yet, Berbatov looking on from the bench until he looks like he actually cares. Let him prove it off the field before letting him back on it. His arm waving and frustrated looks will do just as much good from there.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

FFC1987

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 13, 2013, 02:35:37 PM
Quote from: EJL on November 13, 2013, 02:20:01 PM

Or, better yet, Berbatov looking on from the bench until he looks like he actually cares. Let him prove it off the field before letting him back on it. His arm waving and frustrated looks will do just as much good from there.

Maybe Rene will impliment the naughty step for Berba until his dummy is back in....

horse1031

He has an insight into why Berba was left on the bench most of the time but still scored 20 goals at Man U.  He knows Berba's game and tendencies...

I am excited by this appointment!

FFC1987

Quote from: horse1031 on November 13, 2013, 02:39:27 PM
He has an insight into why Berba was left on the bench most of the time but still scored 20 goals at Man U.  He knows Berba's game and tendencies...

Because a rapid young mexican was firing on all cynlinders and kept him out....Not sure the same thing will happpen with us unless someone can turn Hugo into such a threat!

nose

Quote from: PLB on November 13, 2013, 01:55:47 PM
Quote from: nose on November 13, 2013, 01:46:29 PM
Oh dear, he shares a vision of how football should be played with martin Jol.......  does that mean argue with everyone and pick a hopless costa rican and lazy bulgarian, wind up the squad, ignore the fans wishes and generally do what he can do make the team worse and aim to be relegated this season! Is that the vision he shares? because that is what jol has done so far.

0001.gif
this is everything that's wrong with the modern football "fan". Seriously, have a word with yourself.

does that mean argue with everyone - Proof? Bobby Z who hates everyone, any PROOF of ANY others? Any at all?
pick a hopless costa rican - subjective
and lazy bulgarian - ok, agree on that one
wind up the squad - same as "argue with everyone" - but again no proof, not one bit of proof that he winds up the squad
ignore the fans wishes  - how many other managers follow the fans' wishes? Name one, just one?
and generally do what he can do make the team worse and aim to be relegated this season - Cos Jol is really TRYING to get us relegated, isn't he?
fp.gif

you sound klike my daughter trying to wind me up!

On the assumption you are being serious (but i grant you huimourous so I forgive you too!!!!)

I kew using my eyes and ears let alone when i was subsequently told by at least three impecable sources from within the club,that it is well known he argues with everybody, and has argued with everybody i do not need to supply proof, the post of a day or so ago whether some of us that know a bit more than others can say what we know without sworn statements was done to death.
Hopeless costa rican is not subjective, it is objective, watch him!
Lazy bulgarian, you agree because it is the same objectivity.
Wind up the squad, i meant demoralise in the sense that you pick players out of form or no good and block others. zverotic is a brilliant fullback and has two good feet, he took him off at liverpool and left richardson who wass so poor it was unbelivable (again!) all four goals down our left side (objective watch the match again) most attacks down our left side, richardson totally out of his depth... so jol takes off the right back.... that is what winds up a squad, no doubt... my opinion of management in action.
Ignore fans wishes.... I agree all of them do what they think is best, and so they should but berba and ruiz really are a complete wind up and I dread to think the reaction if they are picked again soon!
The final poibnt about relegation as you know is a statement of his capability, not his intent. Since he joined we are far worse in every single respect, he does not get the best out of the squad he has, he is a walking disaster area.

My fear of the appointment is we will now have to sit through another 6 weeks of 'give it time  the new coach's methods haven't taken effect yet.'
Jol appologists will make more excuses about transition and all the other nonsense that is pspouted.

I am pleased we have a new well regarded coach and I hope he helps but i would rather he helped and jol was gone!

Thank you for calling me 'modern fan' I always thought I was rather old fashioned so have to accept that part as a compliment.

I appreciated your humour but do not feel sufficiently happy to be able to offer a light hearted response.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: horse1031 on November 13, 2013, 02:39:27 PM

I'm being a jerk about it. Still mad about him not marking anyone on corners (Southampton).

RM is a very high caliber coach. His signing is a statement of intent from the club,....and a very positive one. Some, I believe, will rightly hang onto their anger with the current state of things or be very reserved with their praise until there are clear signs of improvement. Having said that, this is not an appointment of a club that's just content with survival. I choose to believe that anyway.

Onward and upward you Whites!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Kentish Gent

This is obviously good news, because it shows that the club are acting to stop the rot. The key issue will be who is in real charge of the team and tactics - Jol or Meulensteen. Hopefully the demarcation lines between the two roles have been well and truly agreed, because I've never seen a successful enterprise yet which has two bosses. But fingers crossed and let's hope that it's upwards and onwards from here.......

Delboy

'MEULENSTEEN's BLACK AND WHITE ARMY' altogether now.  COYW  :clap_hands: