News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

This appointment was not what most of us wanted, right?

Started by bill taylors apprentice, November 14, 2013, 11:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Eve

Jimmy and Reg were good. Senderos could learn from them!

Holders

I find that it helps to understand if I put myself in Khan's position rather than pontificating about other people's money from behind a keyboard  

He didn't appoint Jol but he inherited a manager who comes with a CV full of bigger clubs than us. His contract's up at the end of the season and that's when I (as Khan) would seek in the normal course of events to appoint his successor - provided we get there without being relegated. However, in the meantime, we're plainly in the loo.

So what's wrong? It's obvious to all us keyboard pontificates* that the coaching, integration of players and tactics are dreadful. So Khan brings in a top coach to try and sort us out now and with the potential to succeed Jol.

Sounds a reasonable bit of business to me - now, as it did before Herr M was said to be off to Qatar. Who'd have blamed him for taking that job as they're due to host the WC and offered barrel-loads of money? The long delay since then seems to have been due to Mr Khan reaching deeper and deeper into his pocket. That shows commitment to his plan even if he can't magic in a top manager who's already in a job.

Besides, didn't Meulensteen say that, when it came to football, he and Jol spoke the same language? That's not the same as saying the same things!!

* Fof Grammar Police - should that be "we keyboard pontiffs"?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: St Eve on November 15, 2013, 01:54:09 AM
Jimmy and Reg were good. Senderos could learn from them!

We had a few centre halves around that time - Richardson and  Lacy spring to mind. Apart from Moore, Went was the pick of the crop for me - until he went.

Ernie Howe was around then as well - did he play after Moore?

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on November 14, 2013, 11:59:24 AM
The appointment of Rene ( cant help thinking of 'Allo 'Allo! ) may be the answer we were searching for but it is a bit strange.

If Jol is not to be sacked, yet! the next best thing is to bring in someone who has been given enough authority to change things for the better.
The club are not going to revel the finer details of this arrangement but RM has had to be tempted with big promises and salary, As for Jol, we can't be that hard up not to pay off him and his cronies surely. 

If he succeeds we are happy ish and he takes over when Jol's contract ends OR he fails and Jol takes the blame and Rene takes full control to start a fresh.

All seems a bit of a mess to me

I hope they didn't promise him the job. He has little experience. I would've preferred Jol leave but I'm very happy to have such a highly regarded coach at the club.
There's a weight of expectation about how much he could do for us and inevitably we'll not get all we wanted but I hope he can do the following things. Firstly to work with the youngsters to develop them, especially Kaca who has lost his way, also to get the best from the more senior players we have especially Ruiz. Secondly to work on team shape: attacking and defending as a unit. Finally on maintaining concentration for 90 minutes (plus stoppage); I'm not sure whether this is a psychological issue or a fitness issue, probably both.

cheerupjimmyhill

Quote from: BestOfBrede on November 14, 2013, 01:10:27 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on November 14, 2013, 12:54:45 PM
But this appointment was talked about some time ago. It is not a sudden reaction to our present problems. I doubt it will help in any way. However we can but see how our team react. It is not just the results we should be looking at. But the intention to actually try and attack other teams without exposing ourselves at the back.

Not since Jimmy Dunne have we been so exposed (one for the kids)
What was wrong with Dunne? I was young, but at the time really liked Dunne and Matthewson! I think they played at the same time although my meory isn't what it was!

For some reason the programme cover i remember the most was jimmy dunne with the floodlights on in the background, i think it was the days of the orange programmes

BestOfBrede

Quote from: cheerupjimmyhill on November 15, 2013, 12:13:53 PM
But this appointment was talked about some time ago. It is not a sudden reaction to our present problems. I doubt it will help in any way. However we can but see how our team react. It is not just the results we should be looking at. But the intention to actually try and attack other teams without exposing ourselves at the back.

What was wrong with Dunne? I was young, but at the time really liked Dunne and Matthewson! I think they played at the same time although my meory isn't what it was!

For some reason the programme cover i remember the most was jimmy dunne with the floodlights on in the background, i think it was the days of the orange programmes
Was it Ian Seymour in goal when these 2 played - I think it was?
My Mum's friend knitted me a Fulham scarf and the Players names, from this era, were sewn in Red into the white segments. Unfortunately, I don't know what happened to that scarf and my memory of the whole team is poor! I think they were: Seymour, Callaghan, Matthewson, Dunne, ????, Barrett, Lloyd, ????, Conway, Busby, Earle. Please feel free to add the missing players (was the left back Cutbush?) and correct any where my timing is well out!   

Holders

Quote from: BestOfBrede on November 15, 2013, 12:27:50 PM

My Mum's friend knitted me a Fulham scarf and the Players names, from this era, were sewn in Red into the white segments. Unfortunately, I don't know what happened to that scarf and my memory of the whole team is poor! I think they were: Seymour, Callaghan, Matthewson, Dunne, ????, Barrett, Lloyd, ????, Conway, Busby, Earle. Please feel free to add the missing players (was the left back Cutbush?) and correct any where my timing is well out!   

From memory (someone can check against a programme): Seymour, Moreline, Callaghan, Brown, Matthewson, Dunne, Conway, Halom, Earle, Lloyd, Barrett.  Cutbush was a right back and came later. Busby was later as well.

Lighthouse

Jimmy Dunne debuted for us in the 70-71 season. It was our keepers Ian Seymours last season for us and he only played a few games. Malcom Webster was in goal and I always have a memory of him punching the ball away instead of trying to catch it. First time I had seen this overseas influence come into our game.

The following season, Peter Mellor ( no really)  came in the latter part of the season.

I was shocked to find that Dunne was still here when Bobby Moore came but they only played a few games together and that was Dunne's last season. (73-74)
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Rupert

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 15, 2013, 04:33:10 PM
Jimmy Dunne debuted for us in the 70-71 season. It was our keepers Ian Seymours last season for us and he only played a few games. Malcom Webster was in goal and I always have a memory of him punching the ball away instead of trying to catch it. First time I had seen this overseas influence come into our game.

The following season, Peter Mellor ( no really)  came in the latter part of the season.

I was shocked to find that Dunne was still here when Bobby Moore came but they only played a few games together and that was Dunne's last season. (73-74)

Dunne and Conway were my first Fulham heroes, 1970-71 season
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Holders on November 15, 2013, 03:17:55 PM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on November 15, 2013, 12:27:50 PM

From memory (someone can check against a programme): Seymour, Moreline, Callaghan, Brown, Matthewson, Dunne, Conway, Halom, Earle, Lloyd, Barrett.  Cutbush was a right back and came later. Busby was later as well.
Ahh yes Dave Moreline thanks for that. I forgot Vic Halom as well!

rusty shackleford

Theres a video on the site of Jol talking about Rene, seems that he had a lot do do with getting him in.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Rupert on November 15, 2013, 04:51:37 PM

Dunne and Conway were my first Fulham heroes, 1970-71 season

Fred Callaghan and Reg Matthewson (always fans of defenders) were mine. I was looking up the records (cause my memory for names is a bit suss as you know Richard) and I came across a player called Mansley. Don't think he ever turns up again. Played at number 11 away to Swansea. Anybody remember him?

Holders

Sadly, Ian Seymour's career was ended by a bad leg-break in some nothing cup against Enfield (I was there) Stan Brown went in goal (and you know how tall he was!). Malcolm Webster might have attempted to punch the ball because he sure had no idea how to catch it. He was most adept at picking it out of the net as he had more practice at that.

Mellor's arrival came as a huge relief as Webster was totally useless. He kept clean sheets for the first few games but when he let one in we chanted "Webster" and Mellor looked up and smiled. My now wife (didn't know her then) used to write messages on paper darts and throw them to him. He'd pick them up and read them!

Happy days

epsomraver

Holders

Quote from: epsomraver on November 15, 2013, 05:59:32 PM
Quote from: Nero on November 14, 2013, 12:13:24 PM
Id rather have a good no 2 then a pish no 1 like Di Matteo

What is a pish?

Someone who used to play for C*****a, I presume.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Holders on November 15, 2013, 05:46:40 PM

The following season, Peter Mellor ( no really)  came in the latter part of the season.

Sadly, Ian Seymour's career was ended by a bad leg-break in some nothing cup against Enfield (I was there) Stan Brown went in goal (and you know how tall he was!). Malcolm Webster might have attempted to punch the ball because he sure had no idea how to catch it. He was most adept at picking it out of the net as he had more practice at that.

Mellor's arrival came as a huge relief as Webster was totally useless. He kept clean sheets for the first few games but when he let one in we chanted "Webster" and Mellor looked up and smiled. My now wife (didn't know her then) used to write messages on paper darts and throw them to him. He'd pick them up and read them!

Happy days
For some reason, I seem to remember Mellor's first match was something special - did he save a pen or something? I remember we thought things wear gonna be on the up from then on!

watfordwhite

Quote from: grandad on November 14, 2013, 12:12:02 PM
Most of us wanted some sign of intent from the club that they wanted to do something positive about our present situation. As the transfer window is closed all they could do is appoint one of the best coaches that money could buy to try & do something with the rag tag group of players at our disposal. I don´t understand how it can be said that it was not what most of us wanted.
:plus one: I think this is a very good move by the club, and im very happy with the intent

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 14, 2013, 01:59:15 PM

Sorry it was my pathetic attempt at humour. Dunne was a good player but on one occasion while adjusting his shorts he was accused by some fans of exposing himslef. Made the news but as Rudolph points out not in the same way as Clive Walker.

I think JD pulled his pants down during an away game against Sunderland
We were losing the game, Jimmy was rather upset so decided to make his protest against their fans in a rather unusual way
Pretty sure he was fined afterwards

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: Rupert on November 14, 2013, 01:18:16 PM

Clive Walker?

Yes Clive arrived with "form" & not just because he had played for Chelsea
However, in one of his season's for us he top scored with some 17 or 18 fantastic goals many from outside the box & it didn't matter - left or right foot
Wish we had someone like him now who could strike a ball the way he did
To see him take corners was an object lesson in the skills required - beautifully struck & played to one of our players as well - a true bonus!

Lighthouse

Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on November 15, 2013, 08:55:51 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on November 14, 2013, 01:59:15 PM

Sorry it was my pathetic attempt at humour. Dunne was a good player but on one occasion while adjusting his shorts he was accused by some fans of exposing himslef. Made the news but as Rudolph points out not in the same way as Clive Walker.

I think JD pulled his pants down during an away game against Sunderland
We were losing the game, Jimmy was rather upset so decided to make his protest against their fans in a rather unusual way
Pretty sure he was fined afterwards

Thanks, I thought I had imagined the whole thing.