watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Sportsmanship at its best

Started by Logicalman, November 14, 2013, 07:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

"Game between Al Nahdha and Al Ittihad on Thursday reaffirms the notion of sportsmanship - while simultaneously justifying every evil thought you've ever thought about a referee."

OK then, was the ref correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lS8jQxHnmM#

Forever Fulham

epsomraver

Quote from: Logicalman on November 14, 2013, 07:42:48 PM

"Game between Al Nahdha and Al Ittihad on Thursday reaffirms the notion of sportsmanship - while simultaneously justifying every evil thought you've ever thought about a referee."

Of course the ref was correct, he played the ball outside the area, not sure why he shoud be questioned

leonffc

Quote from: epsomraver on November 14, 2013, 08:15:05 PM

Of course the ref was correct, he played the ball outside the area, not sure why he shoud be questioned

One of our refs over here would have issued a red card  096.gig

ScalleysDad

Its that old minefield conundrum for refs and I have been there myself. Apply the letter of the law to avoid uncertainties, be a bit flexible in applying the letter of the law and face the wrath of pundits and fans or use a whole load of common sense and get slaughtered because the letter of the law dictates something else. Technically the ref is right the rest is pantomime. I'm glad no advantage was taken though and perhaps the captains should have taken a lead in simply getting the ball out of play.

Forever Fulham

The world is becoming increasingly bereft of small acts of random kindness and generosity.  A guy with keepers' mitts on can't tie his own shoe.  An opponent spots it and reflexively does the decent thing.  The keeper is momentarily distracted by the unusual act.  Why card him?  Look the other way and make the world a better place for it.  Thankfully, the other side quietly kicked the ball where the kindness couldn't be overshadowed by the cop from Les Miserables. 

Logicalman

I'm not certain that he did CARRY the ball outside of the area. If the video is stopped just after he kicks it, the keeper is outside the area, but, as we all know, keepers tend to move forwards as they kick the ball and so most tend to end up in the same place.

So, that's the only offence there?

Logicalman

I've done more research on this, and apparently the free kick was given for the keeper taking too long over the clearance. No indication he was outside the area as the free kick was given INSIDE the area.

Any more random thoughts on that then?

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Logicalman on November 15, 2013, 12:23:16 AM
I've done more research on this, and apparently the free kick was given for the keeper taking too long over the clearance. No indication he was outside the area as the free kick was given INSIDE the area.

Yeah, I figured it was for him taking too long over getting rid of the ball.  Just seems a bit farcical really.

Forever Fulham

That makes it even more ridiculous.  The purpose of the rule is prevent stalling, time wasting.  Well, who precipitated the extra time in which the keeper held onto the ball?   Now that we know the reason for the free kick, this is even more absurd.  The other team clearly had no problem with the extra time he took, as one of their players was bent over tying the keeper's boot!  It's illustrations like these which separate people into two personality camps--spirit of the rule controls v. letter of the law no matter what.  The best way is probably somewhere in the middle.

epsomraver

The ref blew up for the goalie handling outside the area, he could only book the goalie for timewasting and could not award a free kick, it is obvious also because the ref only blows up as the ball is kicked,the clip is misleading as it stops at the wrong time. The Ref got it right.

FFC1987

Quote from: epsomraver on November 15, 2013, 08:57:50 AM

The ref blew up for the goalie handling outside the area, he could only book the goalie for timewasting and could not award a free kick, it is obvious also because the ref only blows up as the ball is kicked,the clip is misleading as it stops at the wrong time. The Ref got it right.

I don't think the opposition team would have played it back in that sportsmanlike manner if the ref said it was a freekick for handling outside the box...

Southcoastffc

2 things:

1. The free kick seems to me to be taken inside the box (so was for 'time-wasting'?)

2. The attacking team have obviously been practising free kicks the Fulham way.  :022:

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

westcliff white

cant be for handball the free kick appears to be inside the area
Every day is a Fulham day

Burt

Listen to the commentator. He makes it very clear.  :dft011:

Basil

I seen worse free kicks from Riise.

Neil D

There are some right curmudgeons on this board.  Two acts of sportsmanship like these warrant praise for the players not the miserable ref - especially as it's close to Christmas!

Northern Cottager

Quote from: Neil D on November 15, 2013, 05:10:11 PM
There are some right curmudgeons on this board.  Two acts of sportsmanship like these warrant praise for the players not the miserable ref - especially as it's close to Christmas!

:plus one: LOL

Beamer

Strictly speaking doesn't the 6 second rule still apply, therefore a free kick was almost certainly awarded for holding the ball too long (and therefore inside the box) but that doesn't mean the ref hasn't behaved like an idiot in awarding it.
Sure there are rules but there is also interpretation eg when is a player 'active' so nobody could have criticised the ref for simply getting on with the game in the spirit that the lace help was offered.

Logicalman

Quote from: epsomraver on November 15, 2013, 08:57:50 AM

.. and that's why the FK was given inside the area?

Give it up, you're wrong about why, though the ref might have been right in the time-wasting offence, if only in rule rather than spirit.