more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (16/11/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 16, 2013, 04:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Just what the doctor ordered for Fulham

After a mentally disturbing few weeks for Fulham fans, good news came in the form of the appointment of the highly sought after Rene Meulensteen as Head Coach at the club.

It had been reported that he was set to take on a job at the Qatari Football Association, but in a surprising turn of events, the Cottagers board managed to convince one of the best coaches in the world of their plans and vision for the future.

Meulensteen's role at the club looks set to be working alongside manager Martin Jol with immediate effect, in order to help improve the lacklustre performances on the field, which has led to feelings of anger and discontent amongst the SW6 faithful.

Inspired

Such an appointment is quite a coup when you take into consideration the Dutchman's achievements in his role. His time as Sir Alex Ferguson's head coach at Manchester United was a particular highlight, which has formed his respected reputation in the game

You only have to ask a certain Robin van Persie his reasons for completing the move to United last summer, of which many revolved around the coach's involvement at Old Trafford.

There was always going to be a battle for his services, and it is encouraging to see that owner Shahid Khan has provided the necessary tools to secure a man who will give the Whites a good chance of changing their current predicament.

Many fans have questioned the commitment and drive of the club's new owner, despite little reason to do so, and this is a very positive move into earmarking the businessman's intent to improve the current situation and overall stature of the club.

Improvement

A lack of tactical prowess and know how has been a big problem at Motspur Park, with many starting 11′s this season looking relatively hopeless, particularly at set pieces, leading to suggestions that the team have been set up incorrectly on a regular basis.

After much deliberation, it could be said that the problems may lie with the backroom staff, as well as Jol, with a nosedive in form occurring not long after the departure of the long serving Ray Lewington.

Match preparation is key to any football teams' successes, and it is relatively clear that such an angle isn't being approached in the right manner, which is something that Meulensteen will look to rectify in his tenure.

Fitness levels have also been an issue; look at the struggles of a talented Adel Taarabt, who has been unable to hold down a starting spot due to his inability to reach peak match fitness.

With Meulensteen only arriving at the club on Wednesday, it is a positive start to see that Fulham's Under-21 line up against Crystal Palace on Thursday afternoon featured several squad players, in a bid to keep the fitness levels up for those not undertaking international duty.

Class

It is encouraging to see that the board have assessed the situation, and acted quickly to seek options in helping improve the crisis at hand, particularly during the international break.

Personally, I feel that this move could be a turning point in Fulham's fortunes on the pitch this season, with the introduction of the former United man looking increasingly likely to steady the ship.

Behind every good manager is a good backroom staff, and a much needed structure will be provided via the expertise of Meulensteen.

With Jol seemingly good friends with the man, I have a positive feeling that this partnership will be a rather fruitful one, and I am excited to see how it pans out.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/just-doctor-ordered-fulham/73969/?

WhiteJC

Dejagah ponders Fulham exit as winger fears for Iran World Cup place

Fulham's Ashkan Dejagah fears for his World Cup place with Iran due to his lack of games for Martin Jol.

The winger has been warned by Iran manager Carlos Queiroz he needs first-team football and may seek a move in January if he does not start playing regularly for his club.

'It's a big year for me,' he told the Fulham Chronicle. 'It's a dream to play in the World Cup and I have the chance to do that next summer, so it's very important that I'm playing.

On the move: Iran international Ashkan Dejagah could leave Fulham ahead of next summer's World Cup
'The manager tells us every time that we have to be playing for our clubs because you need games to be sharp heading into the tournament. If you're not playing you're scared about your World Cup chances, so hopefully I'm fit and ready.'

Dejagah signed for the Cottagers from Bundesliga side Wolfsburg in August 2012 and has made 23 appearances for the west London club.

First-team: Having signed for Fulham from Wolfsburg in 2012, Dejagah has appeared just 23 times for the club

International: Carlos Quieroz (centre), pictured with Roy Hodgson, was appointed manager of Iran in 2011

The 27-year-old represented Germany at youth level, playing 20 times for the country's Under 21 side, but was called up to the full Iran national team in 2011 by former Manchester United coach Queiroz.

Iran qualified for next summer's tournament in Brazil after finishing top of their World Cup qualifying group on 16 points above South Korea and Uzbekistan.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2507825/World-Cup-2014-Fulham-winger-Ashkan-Dejagah-fears-Iran-place.html#ixzz2kmWmHNS8
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

FULHAM PLAN TO RAID MAN UTD FOR WILFRIED ZAHA AND ANDERSON

Fulham are banking on Rene Meulensteen's Manchester United connections giving them access to Old Trafford fringe players, according to reports.

The Metro claims that Martin Jol's new coach will make move to bring Wilfried Zaha and Anderson to Craven Cottage on loan deals.

Zaha has looked out of sorts on his rare outings this season and has been told he can go out on loan in January.

Newcastle look the favourites to secure his signing, but Meulensteen will attempt to convince United to send him to west London instead.

Midfielder Anderson has become a figure of fun among United supporters and does not appear to have an prospect of a future at the club.

He too has struggled for playing time under David Moyes and could be allowed to leave if the champions are able to bolster their midfield options in January.

http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2013/11/fulham-plan-to-raid-man-utd-for-wilfried-zaha-and-anderson/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+offthepost%2FTLAa+%28Off+The+Post%29

WhiteJC

I Could Move Back to Norway in New Year and Won't Rule Lillestrom Out – Fulham Defender John Arne Riise

Fulham defender John Arne Riise admits he may well choose to end his career in his native Norway and feels he still has another "four or five" years ahead of him.

Riise is expected to move on from Fulham in January having slipped down the pecking order at the Premier League club.

To where he might go remains unclear, but Riise is willing to consider a switch back to Norway, bringing his career full circle.

"I have spent almost half of my life abroad", he told TV2.

"The time may be ripe to move home for the new year."

For Riise, Lillestrom, where his brother Bjorn Helge Riise currently plays, may well be an option.

"It would be fun to finish my career in Lillestrom with my brother, but I have not really made any decision yet.

"I feel I can play for at least another four or five years yet."

The 33-year-old has enjoyed spells with a number of notable clubs, taking in adventures at Monaco, Liverpool and Roma.

Riise's most successful time came at Liverpool, where he collected one Champions League, one FA Cup, one League Cup, two UEFA Super Cups and two Community Shields.

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/11/15/i-could-move-back-to-norway-in-new-year-and-wont-rule-lillestrom-out-fulham-defender-john-arne-riise/108903/#usKHiduwDqpKLCci.99

WhiteJC

I can help Berbatov get back to his best, says Rene Meulensteen

Dutchman reckons the former Manchester United frontman will rediscover top form

Rene Meulensteen reckons he can help bring out the best in misfiring Fulham frontman Dimitar Berbatov.

The former Manchester United striker has managed just one goal in 10 Premier League games for the struggling Cottagers.

But new head coach Meulensteen, who worked with the Bulgarian at Old Trafford, hopes he can help the 32-year-old rediscover his top form.

"Everyone knows the talent he brings to the table," said Meulensteen.

"It's very clear sometimes the frustrations that goes with it. That's what you get with these sort of players.

"They are geniuses in some ways and I always find it a challenge to make sure that we can serve those players in the right way that they can bring out the best in themselves for the best purpose of the team."

Meulensteen was brought to Fulham to work alongside manager Martin Jol, who has seen his side slip into the drop zone after three straight defeats.

And the Dutchman, who spent more than a decade at Manchester United, hopes he can help boost the Whites.

He added: "I think the key is now making sure that hopefully I can bring a new sort of energy to the whole place because they have got good enough footballers.

"They just need to make sure they do the basics right, take responsibility, be disciplined and work hard and then the results will come.

"I have been in England now for 12 years and worked in every department at Manchester United, and the last five years as assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson, so I know the Premier League well.

"It is obviously different being with Manchester United, we had different ambitions which were quite clear, but hopefully my experience and expertise will help Fulham climb up the table."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/can-help-berbatov-back-best-6309958?

WhiteJC

Fulham look like perfect club for unwanted Wilfried Zaha
Manchester United winger on Fulham's January shopping list alongside Anderson

England U21 star Wilfried Zaha may have been busy bamboozling defenders in the Young Lions' 3-0 European Championship qualifier win over Finland, but his serious lack of minutes at Manchester United sees Fulham preparing a January loan bid for the winger.

Relations between Man United and Fulham just got that bit much cosier too, after the Red Devils' former first-team coach Rene Meulensteen was confirmed as the Cottagers new head coach.

Having worked at Old Trafford alongside Sir Alex Ferguson since 2006, before losing his position when David Moyes was appointed this summer, Meulensteen clearly has strong ties with the champions.

And a move away from the north-West for Zaha in January looks like it will be hugely beneficial to both parties.

Moyes clearly doesn't rate Zaha highly enough at present to give him any game time in the Premier League, but if the club are to capitalise on their £15m investment in the long run, then the former Crystal Palace man must gain top-flight experience.

In their current predicament – where Martin Jol's side find themselves in the bottom three and rated as 13/8 shots for relegation before the international break – bringing in fresh blood in January is essential to an upturn in Fulham's fortunes.

Zaha has already shown in various cameos at international level and consistently for Palace in the Championship that he is blessed with extraordinary skill, he just needs to know when to beat a player and when to pass, which will only come with more high-level experience.

Meanwhile, further reports suggest Fulham have also made enquiries about the availability of United's Brazilian midfielder Anderson, who is also out of favour at Old Trafford.

Anderson has never been able to consistently stay in United's first team and a move away to Fulham could breathe life into his stuttering Premier League career also.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/fulham-look-like-perfect-club-for-unwanted-wilfried-zaha_178054.html

WhiteJC

I never wanted to swap Wales job for Crystal Palace return, claims Chris Coleman

There were two things that Chris Coleman wanted to make clear today, after signing a two-year extension to his contract as Wales manager.

One was that he wants nothing else but to lead his country to success, ideally by qualifying for the 2016 European Championship. The second was to state that he does not want a return to the Premier League – and that he has had no contact whatsoever with Crystal Palace.

Coleman wants to "finish what he started" in charge of Wales, which, for the last two games, has seemed positive. "There was no temptation to go to Palace, there was no approach," he added.

"That was because I had five years with Palace as a player and I enjoyed my time there. Everybody thinks if you are a coach you want to work in the Premier League. Financially and with the media coverage it is seen as the best league in the world. I have had five years in the Premier League with Fulham, it's a great league.

"I don't have any aspirations to work in the Premier League right now. When my time is up with Wales, whenever that is, I would prefer to work abroad again. I learnt more working abroad as a coach.

"But the Wales job is bigger than any other job I will do, I will never get more responsibility. I've done it for two years now and it's been hard, but when you win then the rewards are fantastic.

"I don't want to hand that feeling on to someone else. I want to finish what I started with these players."

The deal with the Football Association of Wales had been "verbally agreed" as long ago as September, but defeats to Macedonia and Serbia caused the governing body to get cold feet.

The FAW decided that Coleman was indeed the man to take them through the qualifying process for the 2016 European Championships after he led them to a win over Macedonia at home and a draw in Belgium.

In between the verbal agreement and the two good results to round off their unsuccessful bid to qualify for next year's World Cup, speculation was rife that Coleman, the former Fulham, Coventry and Real Sociedad manager, wanted to leave his post and return to club football. Jonathan Ford, the FAW chief executive admitted, given the media speculation caused by the delay in Coleman's contract, the deal should have been signed back in September.

"With hindsight the timing was never quite right," said Ford. "We came to an agreement of wanting to move forward, we went through good negotiation and we planned on doing that somewhat sooner but then the Bale circus [the winger's world record move to Real Madrid] came to town and we had a couple of games that did not go our way.

"But in my mind we made the right decision then and we have made the right decision now. That's not really changed.

"In hindsight maybe we should have signed the contract a little earlier but we are looking forward, Euro 2016 is what we are talking about now and let's finish what we have started here."

Palace, meanwhile, appear to be closing in on former Chelsea defender Dan Petrescu to replace Ian Holloway despite his current club's insistence the Romanian is going nowhere. Petrescu is understood to want a three-year deal to leave Dynamo Moscow having held further talks with co-chairman Steve Parish yesterday, even if the Russian side yesterday denied he is set to leave.

"Dan works for Dynamo. He is not talking about leaving, he is not torn," a Dynamo spokesman said. "He is an honest man and there is nothing to hide. Petrescu doesn't even understand himself where the rumours are coming from."

Former Palace manager Iain Dowie has emerged as an alternative, although he would prove an unpopular choice with supporters having swapped Selhurst Park for arch-rivals Charlton in 2006.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/i-never-wanted-to-swap-wales-job-for-crystal-palace-return-claims-chris-coleman-8943045.html

ron

If Meulensteen's reputation with "name" players, and motivational skills turn out as has been mentioned here - and for my money these are compelling arguments to counteract some negative reporting of his antics pre his Manure days - then it seems a shame that Jol will still be around to cramp his style and free hand.

Perhaps that answers itself by saying that after this campaign Jol won't be.  And he will be gone without contract settlement payouts.

Here's hoping.