watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What do you make of this?

Started by Rambler, November 16, 2013, 11:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambler

Sort of explains some of the concerns I have with Rene's appointment better then I could by writing on here...

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/video_audio/257997.html?genre=6;sport=3

Bassey the warrior

Jol requested Meulensteen so the whole perspective that he will feel paranoid is misguided. It's no doubt a weird situation but Jol must've had an idea of how it would work or how he sees it working and of course they know each other too and are friends.

cmg

A fascinating in-depth analysis from some of the game's most erudite and respected brains.

Particularly fine contribution from Steve Nicols, whose appearence encouraged me by establishing that mine are not the only youthful good looks ravaged by the passage of time.

Question: Why is it that managerial offices and pundits' chairs are filled by Scotsmen, whose country's fooball fortunes have suffered one of the most precipitate declines in sporting history?

Rambler

Quote from: cmg on November 16, 2013, 12:25:26 PM
A fascinating in-depth analysis from some of the game's most erudite and respected brains.

Particularly fine contribution from Steve Nicols, whose appearence encouraged me by establishing that mine are not the only youthful good looks ravaged by the passage of time.

Question: Why is it that managerial offices and pundits' chairs are filled by Scotsmen, whose country's fooball fortunes have suffered one of the most precipitate declines in sporting history?

Haha I enjoyed that

epsomraver

Spot on mate first thing I thought was who the f are these clowns?

Neil D

My wife is Welsh and she goes bananas about the number of Scots in the UK media.  Wonder if they'll get work permits after next year's referendum?  UEFA territorial discrimination committee please note - both my parents were born in Glasgow...

Barrie

There is the danger though that any sense by the players of a differing in opinions between the two men could quickly divide the playing staff into two camps, and that would be very damaging to the camp.  But hopefully Jol and Rene really are on board as a team, and as has been said before, there is a clear demarcation of duties that both men are happy with.  But we will see.

NogoodBoyo

I don't care whether they're Scottish, Welsh or Tanganikan.  They're absolutely right in my view.
Nogood "don't shoot the messenger, isit" Boyo

ScalleysDad

Surely we have to give this whole thing a chance. Everything on the pitch was useless, including the match day prep, and most of that could be traced back to Motspur Park. Any combination of the squad at Jols disposal should have been offering much, much more. We now have an experienced coach with a highly regarded cv amongst players, sod the pundits and would be experts, and it would appear he is already looking at the squad in depth with an 18 player match already done and dusted. I am not sure how this will work out but all things considered, like a lack of options for Manager, this is quite a move by the Club and an acceptance from Jol that help is required. If RM can fix our midfield and put a rocket up the arse of the forwards we are in a way better position than the one we were stuck in last week. I still think the Club needs to rediscover what 'Fulham' means to us but I'll go with this move until Christmas.

ron

"Two heads are better than one" versus "Too many cooks spoil the broth".

Two in charge means twice as much time for individual mentoring of players  - we'll have to wait and see about that - while two heads thinking different things may well be a recipe for disaster.

I'm in the second camp. I can't see how it will work, and that the whole charade is a way of easing Jol out without paying him a fortune for the rest of his contract. There is nothing between his ears as far as I can see that could constitute the aforementioned 'second head'.

God The Mechanic

Man, that video makes it look like players are still behaving like school children.  If that's the case then there are deeper issues than having two senior coaches/managers.

Admin

I'm sorry, but this is the biggest pile of dogies do do ever. "Let's go off topic for a minute", well they certainly did that didn't they!!

For a start, Jol requested Meulensteen not the club, so he's there for his benefit, and I'm sure the pair have already thrashed out the do's and don't of his position.

Meulensteen worked fantastically well at United as head coach to Ferguson, and if anything, this has been done to allow Jol to concentrate solely on managerial tasks, whilst Meulensteen works with the squad and other coaches.

Jealously springs to mind.      

Barrie

I agree, Jol's body language usually tells the story, and he seemed genuinely happy, positive and almost relieved by Rene's arrival in the video.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Barrie on November 16, 2013, 06:21:25 PM
I agree, Jol's body language usually tells the story, and he seemed genuinely happy, positive and almost relieved by Rene's arrival in the video.

This was the most telling bit of information we've gotten in months - the change in Jol's demeanor in his latest interview. That he was happy was easy to see, and I'd go so far as to say relieved. He was talkative and not so pensive with his remarks which is a huge change compared to almost all of his previous Fulham interviews.

The pundits in the ESPN video are grabbing onto low hanging fruit and making something out of it that isn't there. Is there the potential for disagreement and the formation of camps within the roster? Of course there is. But, that potential was there already. It's there in every team and really has little to do with having a manager AND a head coach. These guys are acting as if this potential is new when it's as old as team sports.

They've got nothing of real merit to talk about and are filling time trying to create controversy.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

RidgeRider

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on November 16, 2013, 02:55:03 PM
I don't care whether they're Scottish, Welsh or Tanganikan.  They're absolutely right in my view.
Nogood "don't shoot the messenger, isit" Boyo

I've made the comment in the past (being the ignorant Yank) that there seems to be a preponderance of Scots as analysts, and managers, in the PL. Their league may not be what it was, but clearly they produce a lot of students of the game.

I agree with you Boyo on all points. They made some solid comments about the tricky predicament for the players of having essentially two men in charge. My guess is the club will clearly define who is doing what, for the players. But it does create a potential issue if there is too much crossover in their responsibilities.

premFlem

Quote from: Barrie on November 16, 2013, 06:21:25 PM
Relieved most definitely. getting Rene in just saved his job. Now Rene can sort the mess out (hopefully) and Jol gets the pat on the back, no wonder he looks happy.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away