https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: I've heard it all now..

Started by Buffalo76, November 20, 2013, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo76

Hull - UK City Of Culture? Do me a favour  064.gif

jarv

It was Glasgow many years ago. If Glasgow can do it, I guess Hull can too. At least it wasn't Middlesborough.

rusty shackleford

It was Derry this year (a few miles from where i live) and i have to say the events and facilities they got out of it were top notch. Was a real feel good vibe through the place all year

Neil D

Liverpool was European Capital of Culture in 2008..!  Nonetheless, you can almost see the benefits of their English as A Second Language programme in the offerings of Jamie Carragher, so don't knock it.  Note to UEFA Territorial Discrimination Committee - I have no defence. It's a fair Kop.

David Allen Crankshaw

Does that mean Stoke have missed out again?

ron

Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on November 20, 2013, 06:59:01 PM
Does that mean Stoke have missed out again?

In fact, Chernobyl beat Stoke into 3rd place.

Holders

It's truly desparate - they seem to choose the most dismal places (Derry aside).

Where next - Boston (Lincs)? Woking?

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

The Equalizer

Quote from: jarv on November 20, 2013, 05:13:31 PM
It was Glasgow many years ago. If Glasgow can do it, I guess Hull can too. At least it wasn't Middlesborough.

Have you ever been to Glasgow Jarv? It's a very beautiful City with what can only be described as an abundance of culture. Hull doesn't come close.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

jarv

Yes, I was born there.  My comment was tongue in cheek because I still have early childhood memories of seeing children, as young as 5 or 6 being barefoot in winter. It had a lot of poverty and reputation as Europe's most violent city back in the early fifties. That was one of the reasons my parents decided to leave and seek a better environment and work. We ended up near Fulham in the late 50's.

I return every year and yes, it is a very nice city now. Lots of history there.

Pluto

On a serious note....looking at the nominees, do they just hand this award out to one of the UK's worst cities as some kind of thing to make them feel better about themselves?

It wasn't long ago Hull was voted the worst place in the whole country......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4136342.stm

Berserker

When I went for a day trip to Glasgow from my in laws in Edinburgh somebody offered to sell me drugs in the city centre. Anybody who knows me on this forum can back me up in saying I do not look the sort of person that buys drugs
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

jarv

Mrs B, next time, take a trip to the transport museum in Glasgow. Great experience. Full of trams, buses, steam engines, old cars etc etc. In fact they had 3 of my old cars in there!!! It is free, but they ask for a donation which is only fair. Allow 2 to 3 hours in there. It is quite a walk (about 3 miles I guess). From central station, make your way to the river and take that walk along the riverside path. You will probably need to get a bus back, I was knackered when finished. You won't be offered any drugs on the way.

Berserker

Going to Glasgow for the Commonwealh games to see Chris Hoy at the Velodrome, not sure if that will be by the museum but will give it a look if I'm able

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Oakeshott

"It wasn't long ago Hull was voted the worst place in the whole country"

Not by anyone who has been to Grimsby!

Berserker

Where I live is devoid of culture

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Berserker