more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (23/11/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 23, 2013, 07:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham's Kieran Richardson says his injury problems are firmly in the past

The versatile Richardson is hoping to stay fit for the remainder of the season after overcoming a hamstring problem

Over the worst? Richardson is hoping to stay fit for the remainder of the season
Clive Rose

Kieran Richardson insists he's finally over his injury nightmare and is ready to make Fulham's left-back spot his own.

The former Manchester United man has been restricted to just 20 Premier League starts since signing from Sunderland last year due to a niggling hamstring problem.

Richardson limped out of the win at Sunderland on the opening day of the campaign, but is back to fitness and has started the past eight games.

And the 29-year-old is keeping his fingers crossed that his injury worries are behind him as he looks to help Martin Jol's strugglers up the table.

He said: "I blew out my hamstring on the first game of the season, which was a bit of a downer, then I have been having a few little niggles on my calf.

"You have got to get on with it and I just want to play every game. Hopefully we can kick on and I can play the rest of the season. I am taking it each game at a time."

Richardson has got the nod over John Arne Riise, Fernando Amorebieta and Matthew Briggs for Fulham's left-back berth. And the ex-West Ham trainee says the competition for places spurs him on.

He added: "The gaffer wants me to play there and tells me to get forward as much as possible. Being a defender, you have got to defend first.

"It is good that everyone is fighting for positions, it keeps everyone on their toes."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulhams-kieran-richardson-says-injury-2837984#ixzz2lS8bPpHL
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Michu and Pablo Hernandez absent for Swansea City's game against Fulham

The Swans will travel to Craven Cottage without the Spanish duo as they continue to recover from their respective injuries

Swansea City will be without influential duo Michu and Pablo Hernandez for their trip to Fulham on Saturday.

Spain international Michu is expected to be out for another week as he continues to recovery from an ankle injury, while creative midfielder Hernandez has suffered a recurrence of a thigh problem.

Ashley Williams has suffered no further problems after recovering from an ankle injury and Gary Monk has undergone knee surgery.

Goalkeeper Michel Vorm is back from suspension after he sat out the 3-3 draw with Stoke City before the international break for getting sent off in the Swans' 1-0 defeat to rivals Cardiff City in the Premier League's first ever Welsh derby.

Provisional squad: Vorm, Amat, Taylor, Flores, Williams, Britton, Shelvey, Bony, Dyer, Lamah, Routledge, Tiendalli, De Guzman, Canas, Rangel, Pozuelo, Tremmel, Vazquez, Davies.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/swansea-city-team-news-michu-2838383#ixzz2lS8sQgVG

WhiteJC

Neil Etheridge: Fulham keeper joins Crewe Alexandra

League One strugglers Crewe Alexandra have signed Fulham reserve goalkeeper Neil Etheridge on an emergency loan.

The Alex have conceded 36 in 16 league games this season - the worst record in English football's top four divisions.

And, having already used three keepers this season, boss Steve Davis has opted bring in a new face for Saturday's derby clash at home to Port Vale.

The 23-year-old London-born Philippines international has previously been on loan at Charlton and Bristol Rovers.

Having swapped this season between veteran Steve Phillips and Alan Martin, his understudy for the past two years, Davis turned to youngster Ben Garratt for Tuesday night's FA Cup first round replay at home to Wycombe Wanderers.

But Garratt's error led to Wycombe's crucial opening goal as the Alex bowed out 2-0.

Davis had already warned earlier this week, following last Saturday's 5-0 caning at Brentford, that his patience with his squad had run out.

And, with highly-rated young striker Max Clayton likely to miss the rest of the campaign with a broken ankle, to add to the loss of last term's top scorer Mathias Pogba, who is yet to feature this season, Etheridge's arrival is likely to be followed by more new signings.

"I hold my hand up," Davis told BBC Radio Stoke. "One or two of the people I brought in have not done as well as I thought,"
"We all make mistakes. The important thing is that you identify those mistakes and you try to put them right.

"I've always been an advocate of the importance of good team spirit. There comes a time when you know something's not quite right. They're not giving enough or their attitude's wrong.

"We've only won three games this season. That's nowhere near enough, given the standards I have set at this club.
"Additions will help the group and give everyone a boost.

"Had I gone with the current group as it was, it would have been a very long season."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25036701?

WhiteJC

HEADS UP COLUMN: Why Swansea City's Huw Jenkins will be smiling at Fulham tomorrow — and it's nothing to do with Michael Jackson

HUW Jenkins may allow himself a smile when he reaches Craven Cottage tomorrow — and he won't be laughing at the Michael Jackson statue.

Once Mohammed al Fayed had departed, after all, the 7ft 6in Jackson tribute he erected outside the Hammersmith Stand had even less chance of staying up than Fulham.

Sadly pop fans, new owner Shahid Khan had Jacko carted off in September.

Jenkins won't be grinning, of course, if Swansea City do not get a result his weekend.

But the ivories may be on display before the game kicks off.

Presumably, they have a telly in the directors' lounge at Fulham.

And presumably, that telly will be showing the Merseyside derby tomorrow lunchtime.

If Jenkins glances up at the screen, he will see two managers who got big breaks at Swansea.

In the blue corner is Roberto Martinez, who was a 33-year-old Chester City player when Jenkins — and his fellow directors at the Liberty — decided he was management material.

And leading out the Reds will be Brendan Rodgers, whose reputation as a bright young thing had taken a battering at Reading when Swansea gave him a chance.

Hands up who thought they would see the day when two former Swansea managers would be in opposite dugouts when Everton faced Liverpool.

If your hand is in the air, your name must be Marty McFly.

Then again, Jenkins might argue that he always knew both Martinez and Rodgers would go on to big things.

And certainly, you cannot quibble with the Swansea chairman's record of appointing managers.

A few have had their issues, with a dodgy training session here and a duff signing there.

But ever since Brian Flynn came to the rescue back in 2002-03, every Swansea boss has brought something to the party.

Whenever Michael Laudrup goes, Jenkins will face a challenge to find another man who can take his club forward.

But Swansea have form when it comes to finding managers.

Ask anyone on Merseyside.

Read more: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/HEADS-COLUMN-Swansea-City-s-Huw-Jenkins-smiling/story-20115803-detail/story.html#ixzz2lS9ef1gk

WhiteJC

Lionel Messi says Dimitar Berbatov move to Barcelona is "impossible"

The Barca star shoots down reports linking the Fulham striker with a January switch to the Liga champions

Lionel Messi feels that Dimitar Berbatov's reported move to Barcelona is "impossible".

The Fulham striker has been linked with a move to the Liga champions with coach Gerardo Martino reportedly looking to boost his options up front.

A move for the Bulgarian would represent a stop-gap option for Barca until the summer, but Messi thinks that the move is a non-starter.

"It's not my business to interfere with the club's transfer decisions but I think it's impossible for Dimitar to join Barcelona," the four-time Ballon d'Or winner told TV7.

"I haven't heard the rumour that Berbatov is linked to Barcelona. In fact he is a good player, he has experience in a big team.

Messi is currently struggling with a hamstring injury he picked up in Barca's 4-1 win away to Real Betis on November 10, and the Argentina international has refused to place a timescale on his absence.

Martino has Alexis Sanchez and Neymar available to him, but is understood to want to bring in additional cover for the rest of the season when the transfer window opens in the New Year.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lionel-messi-says-dimitar-berbatov-2838523#ixzz2lS9tE4D0

WhiteJC

Brede Hangeland remains out for Fulham

Fulham manager Martin Jol has confirmed that centre-back Brede Hangeland will remain on the sidelines for the home clash against Swansea City on Saturday.

Hangeland has struggled this season with a nerve injury and this game has come too soon for a return to action, with no date as yet set for his next game.

Jol also revealed to reporters that young striker Moussa Dembele will be a part of the squad for the game against Swansea and that Damien Duff is also out.

Fulham are currently 18th in the Premier League and brought in Rene Meulensteen as head coach during the international break.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/hangeland-remains-out-for-fulham_119518.html

WhiteJC

Hangeland in race to face Swans

Fulham are hoping that Brede Hangeland can shake off a nerve problem in his leg in time for Saturday's Premier League visit of Swansea.

The Norway international central defender missed the defeats against Manchester United and Liverpool ahead of the two-week international break. And, having received intensive treatment on the problem, Hangeland might be fit enough to line up against the Swans at Craven Cottage. Sascha Riether remains sidelined as he serves the second game of a three-match suspension, while Matthew Briggs and Hugo Rodallega are out with hernia and groin problems respectively. Meanwhile, Kieran Richardson insists nobody at the club is pressing the panic button despite the side being in the bottom three ahead of this weekend's action. And as the Swansea clash marks the first game since Rene Meulensteen was drafted in as head coach to work alongside boss Martin Jol, he told the matchday programme: "We're in the bottom three at the moment, and we know that it hasn't been good enough. "But, as a group, we share the trust that we will turn things around. It's still relatively early - no one in the changing room is panicking." Richardson added: "We have a lot of experience in the squad, players that have been in similar positions before and know what it takes. We also have some very, very talented individuals, and I'm confident that talent will shine through."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/hangeland-in-race-to-face-swans-1666964.html?

WhiteJC

Swansea ace: No-one considers Fulham strugglers because of their quality

Fulham may currently occupy a place in the relegation zone, but Swansea defender Ben Davies fully expects the Cottagers to be in the Premier League next season.

Martin Jol's side, who recently brought in Rene Meulensteen as head coach, sit 18th in the table with 10 points from their opening 11 league fixtures.

Fulham have lost their last three league games, but know they would leapfrog Swansea with a win over the Welsh club at Craven Cottage.

The west London side claimed a handsome 3-0 win over the Swans on the final weekend of last season and, with players of the calibre of Dimitar Berbatov, Bryan Ruiz and Adel Taarabt on their books, Davies has no doubt they will remain a top-flight outfit beyond the end of the season.

"Everybody has seen the quality they have got in that team and they have shown they can cause any side in the Premier League problems on their day," he said.

"They put a good performance in against us here last season and that shows we can't underestimate them.

"I don't know about them maybe being in a false position, they always seem to be there or thereabouts, but no-one considers them strugglers because of the quality in the side."

Swansea are themselves winless in five games in all competitions and sit 13th in the table.

The Swans are just a point worse off than they were at this stage last season - which they finished in ninth - but left-back Davies admits Michael Laudrup's side have yet to hit their stride.

"I think in some way it's fair to say we have not been at our best," he said. "There have been times where we haven't reached the standards we have over the last couple of years.

"Expectations are higher this year because of what we have achieved in the past and it is always difficult to maintain and better what we have done.

"But as players know we haven't reached our best so we have to do everything can to get there.

"We are only a point behind where we were this time last year and, if you look at it in a positive light, we have done that without having reached our best.

"We're going into the game looking to get three points and it is up to us deliver a performance good enough to get them."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/swansea_ace_no_one_considers_fulham_strugglers_because_of_their_quality_1_3031398

WhiteJC

Fulham v Swansea City: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Swansea City at Craven Cottage on Saturday Nov 23, 2013, kick-off15.00 (GMT).

Double-Dutch: Rene Meulensteen joins Martin Jol on the Fulham bench for the first time since arriving on the Craven Cottage staff
Photo: PA

Saturday, November 23, 2013
Fulham v Swansea City
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 15.00 GMT.
TV: Highlights, BBC ONE Match of the Day.

Fulham (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Stekelenburg; Zverotic, Senderos, Amorebieta, Richardson; Dejagah, Sidwell, Parker, Kacaniklic; Kasami; Berbatov.
Out: Hangeland (back), Riether (suspended), Briggs (hernia), Rodallega (groin).

Swansea (Possible, 4-1-4-1): Vorm; Rangel, Chico, Williams, Davies; Britton; Routledge, Pozuelo, De Guzman, Lamah; Bony.
Out: Michu (ankle), Hernández (thigh), Monk (knee).

Referee: Andre Marriner. Matches: 8, R4 Y27.

Betting: Home 11-5, Away 5-4, Draw 23-10.

Team News
Fulham defender Brede Hangeland will miss Saturday's Premier League clash with Swansea because of a sciatic nerve problem.
Right-back Sascha Riether serves the second match of his three-game suspension while Damien Duff and Hugo Rodellega are out with groin problems.

Matthew Briggs is sidelined after undergoing a hernia operation, but 17-year-old French striker Moussa Dembélé has been added to the squad as cover.

Swansea will again be without Michu and Pablo Hernández for Saturday's Premier League meeting with Fulham.

Michu will be out until the start of December with his ankle injury while Hernandez has suffered a recurrence of a thigh problem and also remains on the sidelines.

Garry Monk has undergone knee surgery but Ashley Williams has suffered no problems since his return from an ankle problem, while Michel Vorm is back having served a suspension against Stoke.

Match Notes
Fulham's alarming slump has seen them plummet into the relegation zone.

So for the first time Martin Jol will be joined in the dugout by compatriot Rene Meulensteen as they look to turn things around against Swansea who have themselves only won once in their last six games.

The Dutch double-act will settle for a fraction of the 7-0 score-line meted out to the Swans in the FA Cup eighteen years ago this month.

Stat of the game: Fulham have scored one goal in each of their last six home league games.

Tom Prentki's prediction: Fulham 2 Swansea City 2.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10450471/Fulham-v-Swansea-City-match-preview.html

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Swansea

Rene Meulensteen has come in as Fulham's head coach under Martin Jol and everyone is putting two and two together and making five, thinking that if they lose their next couple of games then Jol will be out and Rene will become the manager.

I am not so sure that is the case. I don't think Meulensteen has taken the coaching job thinking that he will be manager soon.

And I think he will do a good job under Jol too, with a different voice and a change of approach to lift the players a little bit.

Basically, Fulham's problem is that they are conceding loads of goals. What they really need are a few games where they are difficult to beat and hard to play against. If they pick up a few points, that would give them a platform to build on.

They might get something at Craven Cottage to help them on their way. Swansea have been doing well in Europe but they have not got going in the Premier League yet - they are simply not playing as well as they did last season, despite having bought some better players.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1
The National's prediction: 0-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25012699

WhiteJC

Jol's Swansea Preview

Martin Jol wants Fulham to banish the memories of Anfield and put in a vastly improved performance on Saturday.

Swansea City are the visitors to Craven Cottage and the Manager insisted that his charges have been working hard to eradicate the mistakes that were made in the 4-0 defeat by Liverpool in their previous outing.

"That is 14 days, two weeks ago, so it's a new game coming up, new spells coming up so, of course, we want to do better," he said in his pre-match press conference. "We did everything in our capabilities to improve on everything and, of course, we had international games, but we had a lot of players here and we tried to work well with them.

"Swansea play in a very good way and that's a way we would like to play in, and we did. I think over the last couple of years Swansea did extremely well. The nice thing is that over the two years we've got more points than them, so that's very positive – people don't notice that, but it's true.

"We want to come back [to form] – we had a very good game where we scored four goals against Crystal Palace but after that, in the away games, we dropped and didn't play with rhythm.

"We couldn't get the ball in the final third and we looked a bit, not lethargic, but a little bit tired, and I now think we've got back to business and we trained well. Scotty Parker is not playing for the national team, Dimitar Berbatov was here, Darren Bent was here so I've had a lot of players [around over the international break] and we trained well so we are ready for Saturday."

Fulham will still be without Captain Brede Hangeland for the weekend's clash with the Swans, while fellow Whites stalwart Damien Duff will also be absent for the game.

"Brede is not back this weekend," Jol confirmed. "He's still suffering from this nerve and it's a real problem so he won't be involved. I don't know how long it will take, I really thought week by week that he would come back but he didn't.

"All the international players reported back fit and well but Duff has got a minor abductor issue – he's back in training now. We played a game against Crystal Palace last Thursday and he had this problem in the second half so we had to take him off. It took him a week and he was training again on Friday but he's not 100 per cent ready yet to be included in the squad.

"And the other one, of course, is Hugo Rodallega – he will be returning to full training in two weeks time. Matthew Briggs is still injured after his surgery."

With Rodallega still sidelined, Jol is left with just two fit First Team strikers and, with Marcello Trotta out on loan, the Manager has turned to the Academy's Moussa Dembélé who has scored 19 league goals for the Club's Under-18 and Under-21 sides this season.

The Frenchman has rightly earned rave reviews for his clinical exploits, but Jol was keen not to put unnecessary pressure on his shoulders, citing the fact that the Barclays Premier League is a huge step up.

"Dembélé turned 17 four months ago so don't expect too much," he warned. "You get all these talks but you don't see them in the Premier League. You see players who are probably 20, 21; Steven Caulker, Kyle Walker, Ben Davies at Swansea.

"He [Moussa] is certainly young but I think he's a very talented boy. As you know, we've got an injury with Hugo so I've [only] got Berbatov and Bent so I included Dembélé in the squad for tomorrow."

Saturday's game will be the first since the arrival of new Head Coach Rene Meulensteen last week, and Jol was quick to express his pleasure at securing the services of his compatriot.

"I'm very pleased," he admitted. "I really thought that he was making a choice for something else; first Germany, then Qatar. He went to Qatar and then, fortunately enough, it was maybe coincidence, I texted him again and he said that he would come back.

"I thought that we needed something, more rhythm. Of course, if you play against Southampton away, or Manchester United or Liverpool, it's not easy but I thought we didn't play with rhythm anymore and we needed to play with more energy.

"That's what we worked on in training and, as I said, I thought we needed something and I think he was the right guy, but now we need the results. I think there's a good spirit, and we'll try to play in the style I want to play; quick football, offensive football, with one or two touches."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/22/jols-swansea-preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Swansea

By Simon Brotherton
Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday, 23 November

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland will miss a fifth successive match with a sciatic nerve problem.

Damien Duff is also out and Sascha Riether remains banned, but there is a place in the squad for 17-year-old French forward Moussa Dembele.

Swansea's first-choice goalkeeper Michel Vorm is available after serving a one-match ban.

Michu and Pablo Hernandez remain sidelined with respective ankle and thigh injuries.

MATCH PREVIEW
Fulham will be hoping the appointment of Rene Meulensteen as head coach during the international break will help galvanise their misfiring squad and halt what has become an increasingly alarming slide down the table.

The former Manchester United coach has been brought in to work alongside manager Martin Jol, who's under pressure following a poor start to the season in which they've lost seven of their 11 Premier league fixtures.

Fulham last won a game just over a month ago, 4-1 at Crystal Palace, and have lost the last four in all competitions - reaching a new low last time out with an insipid display in a 4-0 thrashing at Liverpool.

The move to bring in fresh thinking on the coaching side takes some of the heat off the manager for the time being, but if things don't improve in the near future, Jol's position will be centre stage again.

The visit of Swansea is the first of four at home for Fulham in the next six league games. Tottenham, Aston Villa and Manchester City will all visit Craven Cottage before Christmas, with trips to West Ham and Everton also to come in that time.

Fulham's home form has been pretty awful so far though, with just one win and a total of four points from a possible 15. Along with Crystal Palace and West Ham, it's the worst home return in the division.

Swansea travel to London only two points better off than their hosts and also without a win in just over a month. They've drawn four of the last five, two of them in the Europa League, since a 4-0 win over Sunderland in Gus Poyet's first match in charge in mid-October.

Their away form has been a mixed bag thus far with impressive 2-0 wins at West Brom and Crystal Palace mixed in with defeats at Tottenham, Southampton and Cardiff in which they failed to score a single goal.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
Fulham ended a run of three successive Premier League defeats by Swansea with a 3-0 away triumph on the final day of last season.

Fulham's last league home win in this fixture was in the fourth tier in February 1997.

Fulham
Martin Jol's side have suffered three straight league defeats, conceding nine goals and scoring just once.
Fulham have only earned four points at home this season, the joint worst record in the division along with Crystal Palace and West Ham.
Only Aston Villa (9) have lost more Premier League home matches in 2013 than Fulham (8).
They have conceded the opening goal in eight of their 11 league matches this season, more than any other side.
Dimitar Berbatov has scored one Premier League goal in 855 minutes this season. In 2012-13, he averaged a goal every 190 minutes (15 in 2,847 minutes).

Swansea
Twelve points from 11 games represents Swansea's worst start to a top-flight season. They are winless in three games.
However, they are only one point worse off than at the same stage last year.
They have only scored three first-half goals - only Cardiff (2) and Norwich (1) have fared worse.
The Swans have an average ball possession of 58.5% in the Premier League this season, second only to Manchester City (59.5%) according to football statisticians Infostrada.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24968972?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol masterminded Fulham's move to bring in assistant Rene Meulensteen

Fulham boss Martin Jol insists it was his decision to bring Rene Meulensteen to the club earlier this month.

Jol will be assisted by his Dutch compatriot, who is the club's new head coach, for the first time on Saturday when the Cottagers take on Swansea at Craven Cottage.

Meulensteen's arrival in London was seen increase the pressure on Jol, whose future has come under scrutiny after a run of four successive defeats, most recently a 4-0 thrashing by Liverpool before the international break.

But Jol revealed he was the mastermind behind the move, saying: "I'm really pleased he's here. I thought he was making a choice to go elsewhere - first to Germany and then Qatar.

"It was maybe by coincidence that I texted him again and he said that he'd come back to England.

"We needed something, more rhythm. We weren't playing with rhythm and we needed more energy.

"I thought we needed something and he's the right guy. But now we need the results. There's a new spirit and a good spirit.

"You can always speculate on things. For me that is not an issue. I know him well, for at least 25 years. He's been assistant to Alex Ferguson and Gus Hiddink. He's a very good coach.

"He was not a manager before so I think his qualities are on the training ground during the week.

"Maybe he has aspirations to manage, you'll have to ask him. But if you look at his CV, he's more of a head coach or assistant manager."

Jol is keen to move on from their poor form before the two week break from Premier League action and although he expects a tough test from the Swans, he was keen to point out Fulham's comparative points haul since the Welsh club's return to the top division.

"The Liverpool defeat was two weeks ago. There's a new game coming up and we want to do better," he said.

"Swansea play in a very good way that is probably the way we'd like to play.

"Over the last couple of years Swansea have done extremely well, but over the same period we have more points than them. That's very positive and people don't notice it, but it's true. We're ready for this match."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9036310/martin-jol-masterminded-fulhams-move-to-bring-in-assistant-rene-meulensteen?

WhiteJC

Draw looks the way to go when out of form Fulham and Swansea meet
Neither team look like winning a football match at the moment and the value call is on a stalemate at the Cottage.

Fulham have been so bad of late that whenever Martin Jol's name is uttered it must be preceded by 'under fire' – but the Cottagers can give their manager a little bit of respite by picking up a result against a Swansea City side that are equally out of form.

You couldn't back Fulham with somebody else's money at the moment so there will be few takers for the 21/10, but can you really be going in on Swansea as short as 5/4 the way they are playing currently?

I would say not, and the draw at 23/10 looks like the value shout in a difficult match to assess.

Punters joining bwin.com today can claim a free £20 bet and placing this on the draw would return a cool £66 of profit if successful.

Fulham have the joint worst home record in the division.

Against Liverpool last time out, Fulham looked all the word like a team that were set for a long winter, offering absolutely nothing at either end the pitch in a 4-0 drubbing. But unusually, their problems are coming at Craven Cottage, where Jol's team have won just four points from five fixtures.

That record leaves them with the joint-worst home record in the Premier League, along with Crystal Palace and West Ham United.

Swansea have won just two of their last ten games in all competitions.

But for all of Fulham's struggles, Swansea are just two points better off and what's more, are not playing like a side about to turn the corner. Michael Laudrup's men have emerged victorious from just two of their last ten fixtures in all competitions and haven't tasted victory in five, four of which have ended all square.

You can read more here about why Laudrup might be better value than Jol in the sack race.

The Swans have won just three of their 15 away league games in 2013.

And for those thinking of backing Swansea away from home at such short odds, here is a note of caution. During 2013, Laudrup's side have won just three of their 14 matches away from the Liberty, losing eight and failing to score on eight occasions.

Only four times in that sequence have they managed to score more than once and they can't be backed with any confidence.

But then again neither can Fulham, so the draw – at the biggest price – is the safest option.

Fulham and Swansea to draw @ 11/5

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/draw-form-fulham-swansea-meet,48253.html?#sthash.V8yv2V6g.dpuf

WhiteJC

Martin Jol reveals he masterminded arrival of former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen

Martin Jol insists he was the mastermind behind Rene Meulensteen's appointment as Fulham's new head coach.

Meulensteen's arrival after the 4-0 Barclays Premier League defeat at Liverpool two weeks ago was thought to have increased the pressure on Jol with the former Anzhi Makhachkala boss viewed as the club's manager in waiting.

Fulham are third from bottom in the table and have lost their last four matches in all competitions with Swansea visiting Craven Cottage on Saturday.

But Jol has revealed that it was his decision to recruit Meulensteen, who left Manchester United's coaching team in the summer before a brief spell at Anzhi, in an attempt to ignite their ascent up the Premier League.

"I'm really pleased he's here. I thought he was making a choice to go elsewhere - first to Germany and then Qatar," Jol said.

"It was maybe by coincidence that I texted him again and he said that he'd come back to England.

"We needed something, more rhythm. We weren't playing with rhythm and we needed more energy.

"I thought we needed something and he's the right guy. But now we need the results. There's a new spirit and a good spirit."

Fulham face Swansea without centre-back Brede Hangeland who continues to nurse a sciatic nerve problem with Jol unable to set a date for his return.

"It's a real problem with Brede and he won't be involved. Each week I thought he'd come back but he hasn't," Jol said.

Jol admires Swansea's progress since their entrance into the Premier League in 2011 but points out that Fulham have produced superior results during the same period.

"The Liverpool defeat was two weeks ago. There's a new game coming up and we want to do better," he said.

"Swansea play in a very good way that is probably the way we'd like to play.

"Over the last couple of years Swansea have done extremely well, but over the same period we have more points than them.

"That's very positive and people don't notice it, but it's true. We're ready for this match."

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/martin-jol-reveals-he-masterminded-arrival-of-former-manchester-united-coach-rene-meulensteen-8957623.html

WhiteJC

Cottagers looking for home comfort

Fulham will host Swansea City at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon looking for a turnaround in form.

The Cottagers have lost the last three games and find themselves sitting in the relegation zone level on points with Stoke City and West Ham United immediately above them. A win against Swansea could see them move up the table and above the Swans who are just two points better off.

Fulham's cause has not been helped by a sciatic nerve problem for key centre-half Brede Hangeland. The Norwegian is a doubt for the visit of the Swans, however Bryan Ruiz is back from injury to bolster the attack.

The Swans are also without a win in three games and have slipped down the table. The South Wales club will be boosted by the return of number one goalkeeper Michel Vorm who has served his suspension after being sent off against Cardiff City at the beginning of November.

Facts 'n' Stats
Fulham have scored exactly one goal in each of their last six Premier League games at Craven Cottage.

The eight goals that Swansea have scored in their last six League games have all been netted in the second half.

Fulham's last league home win against Swansea was back in 1997 when both clubs were in the fourth tier of English football.

Fulham injury news
Hugo Rodallega and Matthew Briggs (both groin) are both out with injury.
Swansea injury news
Garry Monk (knee) plus Spanish duo Michu and Pablo Hernandez (both ankle) are all absent.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league-previews/36218-cottagers-looking-for-home-comfort.php#.UpBhz6UcKbA

WhiteJC

Dembele's emergence a sign of things to come
by FPTAYLOR on NOVEMBER 22, 2013

Just a few days ago, Fulham's academy director, Huw Jennings, formerly of Southampton's much lauded academy development system, discussed Moussa Dembele as one to watch. He said:

Moussa is a bit of a throwback to a striker of yesteryear, because he is a classic No 9 who can hold the ball up with his back to goal and also run in behind with pace and power." Even the keenest academy watched wouldn't have anticipated the young forward making the first team squad for Saturday's home game with Swansea, although that's what Martin Jol announced this afternoon.

Moussa Dembele who is both current top scorer of the under 18s and under 21s certainly is a prospect for supporters to salivate over, but at 17 years and 129 days old (come Saturday) the early nature of a prospective debut for Dembele is a surprising one, it would make him the youngest debutante for Fulham under Martin Jol and the youngest since Matthew Briggs arose upon the scene as a fresh faced 16 year old in 2006.

The Frenchman is a pure athlete and at 6ft tall, he offers pace and power which at his age holds him in good stead with coping physically at Premier League. As Huw Jennings said, Moussa Dembele is just as good outside the box as he is inside of it, he's happy to be the vocal point of the attack as well as offering pace in behind; something Fulham have maybe missed with Dimitar Berbatov as the lone striker.

Any frequent watches of youth football will know about Moussa Dembele, and certainly Reading supporters need no introduction to him after his – to be frank – animalistic hat trick to help Fulham to a 3-0 win in the U18 Premier League final, videos of which are on YouTube along with other highlights showing Dembele's amongst others' talents.
Jennings insists: "The only motivation and driving force for us is to provide players who are going to be good enough to play for our first team." Given he helped Southampton develop the likes of Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain as well as recently debuted England International Adam Lallana, the future could be very bright. The intent for Fulham is to produce these kinds of top quality player, and although Huw Jennings is essentially the hub of the success of the Fulham academy, it would remiss not to mention the other key men behind the Fulham academy. For example, Malcolm Elias, the Talent Identification and Recruitment who would have had a part to play in bringing Dembele here in the first place, I also believe that when Liverpool were looking to purchase Paul Konchesky, he was the one calling for Alex Kacanikic to be included in a swap deal.

As well as Jennings and Elias, we have a very intelligent under 18 coach; who is also Head Of Coaching at the academy, in Steve Wigley; also previously of Southampton as well as being assistant to Stuart Pearce for the England U21s. Unsurprisingly, Wigley shares the same aims, "A club of this size should be producing players on a consistent basis, not one every four or five years, it should be producing players regularly." To go along with these superb people, we have former players around the academy who know what it's like to play for Fulham, like Luis Boa Morte who helps with the under 21s, under another ex-Fulham player Kit Symons. Fulham also have probably the most notable academy product in the modern era of Sean Davis knocking about Motspur Park, so there's plenty of people for academy players to look up to and get advice from.

The exciting Dembele might be in line for a debut for the first team this weekend and this hints at, not just the quality of player we have on our hands, but also that our academy is being run by the right people. Dembele will be a seriously big talent, and as reported by a couple of papers a few weeks ago, bigger teams will be looking around him, circling the situation like sharks, but let's enjoy the quality whilst we have him. I for one am excited, and all of you guys should be too. Dembele will be a seriously big talent, and as reported by a couple of papers a few weeks ago, bigger teams will be looking around him, circling the situation like sharks, but let's enjoy the quality whilst we have him. I for one am excited, and all of you guys should be too.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/11/dembeles-emergence-a-sign-of-things-to-come/?

WhiteJC

Rising star Moussa Dembele promoted to Fulham first-team squad for Swansea clash

Injury to Hugo Rodallega means the young striker will be included among the substitutes

Bright future: Moussa Dembele could make his first-team debut
Martin Goldthorpe/Fulham FC

Fulham youngster Moussa Dembele has been included in the squad for tomorrow's clash with Swansea City.

The 17-year-old striker will be among the substitutes and could make his debut after impressing for the development side in recent weeks.

Dembele's exploits have attracted the attention of Manchester United and Liverpool, but Martin Jol says the former PSG frontman is still a work in progress.

"Dembele only turned 17 four weeks ago so don't expect too much," said Jol. "He's a very talented boy, and we've got an injury with Hugo Rodallega, so he's included in the squad."

As well as Rodallega, who faces another fortnight out with a torn groin, the Whites are also without skipper Brede Hangeland.

The towering defender is struggling to overcome a sciatic nerve problem, which has kept him out of the past four games.

Struggling: Brede Hangeland hasn't featured since the win at Crystal Palace last month
Winger Damien Duff is not fully fit after picking up a knock playing for the reserves during the international make and will miss out, while Matthew Briggs (injured) and Sascha Riether (banned) are still unavailable.

Jol added: "Brede is still not back yet. We thought he would be back after a week or so but he is still suffering from a nerve problem so he won't be involved.

"Duff has a minor issue with his abductor muscle, which he picked up in the second half of a training match.

"He is back in training but he is still not 100% fit and is not ready to be included.

"Hugo will be back in training in two weeks and Matthew Briggs is still injured."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/moussa-dembele-promoted-fulham-first-team-6332975?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Swansea: Squad sheets

For now, Fulham have chosen to reinforce Martin Jol rather than replace him. This is the first match since René Meulensteen was appointed as head coach to help the manager and it will be interesting to see whether, between them, the Dutchmen can find a way of making an alarmingly fragile Fulham more solid. If they can, the side has enough attacking quality to climb out of the relegation zone. But the improvement will have to be instantaneous to avoid defeat against slick Swansea. Paul Doyle

Kick-off Saturday 3pm

Venue Craven Cottage

Last season Fulham 1 Swansea 2

Referee A Marriner

This season G9, Y37, R4, 5.0 cards per game

Odds H 12-5 A 11-8 D 12-5

Fulham v Swansea: Probable starters in bold, contenders in light. Photograph: Guardian

Fulham

Subs from Stockdale, Etheridge, Riise, Dembele, Hughes, Kacaniklic, Bangna Karagounis, Taarabt, Boateng, Bent

Injured Rodallega (groin, Dec), Briggs (groin, Dec), Hangeland (nerve in leg, Dec), Duff (groin, Dec)

Suspended Riether (second of three)

Form LLLWWL

Discipline Y17 R0

Leading scorers Bent, Kasami, Sidwell 2

Swansea City

Subs from Tremmel, Pozuelo, Amat, Cañas, Tiendalli, Taylor, Vázquez, Lamah

Doubtful None

Injured Hernández (thigh, Dec), Michu (ankle, Dec), Monk (knee, Jan)

Suspended None

Form DLDWLL

Discipline Y24 R1

Leading scorer Bony 4

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/22/fulham-swansea-squad-sheets?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Swansea preview: Team strengths, tactics and stats

Check out all the vital statistics ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting at Craven Cottage

Ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting, between Fulham and Swansea, see how the sides compare on possession, pass accuracy, tactics and much more.

Data and graphic provided by whoscored.com

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-v-swansea-preview-team-strengths-tactics-and-stats-8957812.html