https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (24/11/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 24, 2013, 09:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Meulensteen's arrival at Fulham buys Jol time
But any credit will go to new head coach

Many Fulham fans expected a new face in the dugout after the international break, but not alongside Martin Jol. The appointment of Rene Meulensteen as head coach has prompted a surge of optimism despite the continuing presence of the beleaguered manager. While today's visitors Swansea are hardly a pushover, the distraction of the Europa League (ah, happy days) and the absence of the injured Michu make them less daunting than last season. After drubbings from Liverpool and Manchester United, this was expected to be either Jol's last stand or someone else's fresh start.

This halfway house is neither one thing nor the other. Leaving aside the confusing job title – used synonymously with "manager" at other clubs – the appointment of "one of the best coaches in the world" (according to Robin van Persie, among others) is undoubtedly a good thing, but the timing could have been better. Since Meulensteen's name was first linked to Fulham in September, the mutterings against Jol have become louder and increasingly bitter.

Jol's side have consistently underperformed, frequently looking unbalanced and disorganised. The pairing of Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell in central midfield lacks spark, while the wide attacking positions have featured a succession of creative types – Bryan Ruiz, Pajtim Kasami, Adel Taarabt – whose natural inclination is to drift inside and clutter up the space that Dimitar Berbatov isn't running out of.

It wasn't always like that. It's easy to forget how good some of the football played under Jol has been. It was Jol who turned Moussa Dembele from Mark Hughes's goal-shy striker into Fulham's most exciting central midfielder of recent years. Where Roy Hodgson's sides were organised and solid (and loved for it), Jol's passing game was at times breathtakingly good. Even if it didn't always work, most games offered a glimpse of something, a reason to believe we were on the verge of the great leap forward. This season, the odd Kasami wonder-goal apart, even that straw has remained beyond our grasp.

Jol hasn't helped himself by reminding the fans how lucky we are to have him, or by constantly repeating the mantra that he didn't want to sell Dembele (it was a year ago - move on). While the hostility is by no means unanimous, things have deteriorated to the point where it's hard to see how Meulensteen's appointment can help Jol. If things turn around, the credit will go to the head coach; if not, manager Jol will get the blame and probably the sack. Whatever the result against Swansea, Meulensteen's arrival buys Jol more time, but his long-term future may have more to do with rebuilding burnt bridges with supporters than how his team fares on the pitch. Steve Couch

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1168-november-2013/10705-rene-meulensteen-s-fulham-arrival-buys-martin-jol-time

WhiteJC

Jol On Meulensteen

In Friday's press conference ahead of the weekend showdown with Swansea City, Martin Jol revealed the chain of events that led to Rene Meulensteen joining his backroom staff.

Manchester United's former First Team Coach had been tracked by the Fulham Manager for some time, so he was obviously delighted when he managed to convince his compatriot that his future lies in SW6.

"I spoke to him in the summer because I knew they wanted to change the staff at Man United," Jol explained. "But he decided to go to Anzhi [Makhachkala]. Then we had a very good discussion with him when he left Anzhi. He had to make his mind up but I think he had an offer from Germany with one or two other guys I know from Holland and they [FC Nürnberg] ended up with a Dutch manager now, [Gertjan] Verbeek, and then he made his mind up and he went to Qatar.

"Before he signed, I texted him again – I think it was just before the Man United game – and he texted back that he wanted to come back to England, so that was very, very surprising and, of course, I was very satisfied with that.

"I know him well, I've known him now for at least 25 years. He was assisting Sir Alex Ferguson, he was assistant to Guus Hiddink at Anzhi, so he's a very good trainer and coach so that's why we took him."

Some of the more cynical media reports surrounding Meulensteen's appointment suggested that Jol may be undermined by the new Head Coach, but he was quick to rubbish such speculation.

"If I wasn't pleased [that he's here], I wouldn't have tried to get him three times," he said. "I spoke to other English guys as well but I really thought he was the one that could change something. I won't say that with English coaches we couldn't change something, but he was the one I initially wanted so we did a lot after the first approach. I asked our Chairman to have a go again because I really thought he wasn't coming, and he didn't come. [But] at the end he decided to come here, so that was great."

One of the major talking points to emerge from the press conference was that teenager Moussa Dembélé would be in the matchday squad for the game against the Swans, and Jol elaborated: "We're very happy with him. I knew him, of course, and I've got three or four other youngsters who are in the same mould; very good, talented.

"They need to be patient because it's not a characteristic for the Barclays Premier League [to play youngsters], like it is in Holland, for example. If you are 18 then you can play in the first team, but in England it's not that easy. But with Moussa, he's 17 now, he strong, still a bit raw, but he scores goals.

"He's scoring goals every match so I took him up to the Under-21s months ago. He's not with the Under-18s anymore; sometimes he joins them and plays the odd game but most of the time he's playing for us, so he's in the squad on Saturday."

The Fulham boss was also quizzed as to whether some of the Club's other bright prospects may be making the step up to the First Team in the near future, but while Jol was keen to praise the calibre of his Academy players, he insisted that timing is imperative.

"Can you see us fighting for our lives in the Premier League and then playing 16 or 17-year-olds?" Jol asked. "It's not only about Fulham, it's about the Premier League; you don't see these players in the Premier League. I told the coach of the Under-18s, Steve Wigley, as soon as you see a player you think is ready, knock on my door, and he never did that.

"I've still got two or three who I'm keeping a good eye on. They're training with us on Mondays, and Tuesdays sometimes, and I'm the first Manager at Fulham over the last 10 years who did that. Matthew Briggs, before I came, was the only young player who was in the squad.

"I've got five or six; I've got Pajtim Kasami now, I've got Alex Kačaniklić, I've got Dembélé. I've got youngsters like Patrick Roberts – he will be a very good player in the future – training with us, George Williams, they all train with us."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/23/jol-on-meulensteen?

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-2 Swansea: Defeat by Swans feels terrible - Martin Jol

Fulham boss Martin Jol says their 2-1 defeat by Swansea City left him feeling terrible after they missed the chance to leapfrog the Swans in the Premier League table.

Captain Scott Parker notched his first goal for Fulham with a curling effort to cancel out Aaron Hughes's own goal, but Jonjo Shelvey netted the winner for the Swans after coming on as a second-half substitute.

The defeat leaves Fulham in the Premier League relegation zone in 18th position.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25072610?

WhiteJC

West Ham U18s 3-1 FFC U18s

Fulham's Under-18s were beaten 3-1 by London rivals West Ham United at Little Heath on Saturday.

On a sunny and crisp morning in East London, the game started at a lively pace. Patrick Roberts caused the West Ham defence problems early on, before Marek Rodak made a good stop.

George Williams then forced the Hammers goalkeeper into two relatively easy saves, but the same Fulham youngster then had to clear off the line at the other end after a West Ham corner caused confusion in the away side's area.

Liam Donnelly went close with a header for Fulham after meeting a corner and Williams then saw a free-kick agonisingly hit the inside of the post before being cleared to safety.

The Hammers went in front just moments after the restart when Kieran Bywater drove down the right wing and crossed for Jordan Brown to tap home at the far post.

And it was 2-0 to the Hammers on 54 minutes, Bywater meeting a Lewis Page cross from the left to score.

Substitute Aaron Redford fired wide for Fulham on the hour mark before the Whites got themselves back in the game 60 seconds later when Williams coolly scored from the spot after being fouled in the box by Jamie Harney.

But just four minutes later, the Hammers were handed a spot-kick of their own and it was highly controversial, Burgess being penalised for handball after a West Ham shot had struck the Fulham player. Bywater stepped up to slot home the penalty.

Fulham's day was summed up when Redford hit the post for the Whites after collecting Roberts' intricate reverse pass as Steve Wigley's side slipped to a rare defeat.

Fulham: Rodak, Baba, Burgess, Donnelly, Edun (Redford 58), Sambou, Smile (Sheckleford 46), Williams, Evans, Roberts, O'Halloran.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/23/west-ham-u18s-3-1-ffc-u18s?

WhiteJC

Villa On General Sale

Paul Lambert's Aston Villa visit the Cottage this December and tickets are now on General Sale. Prices start from £40 adults and £20 juniors and supporters can buy up to six tickets each online at fulhamfc.com/tickets, over the phone by calling 0843 208 1234, or in person from the Ticket Office.

Season Ticket Holder Special Offer

Season Ticket Holders can purchase a limited number of half price tickets for this match. Additional tickets can be purchased for just £20 adults and £10 juniors in the Hammersmith and Putney Ends - saving 50 per cent on the normal price! These tickets can be purchased 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 0843 208 1234 (Option 1).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/november/23/villa-on-general-sale?

WhiteJC

Oxford Utd 3 (Constable 15, Rigg 24, Williams 31) Morecambe 0

A SUPERB spell in the first half gave Oxford United a very welcome win in front of their own fans to stay top of Sky Bet League Two.

James Constable scored his 101st goal for the club from short range after a quarter of an hour and the rampant hosts followed it up with two more in the following 16 minutes.

Ryan Williams set up Sean Rigg to double the lead before the Australian, on loan from Fulham, scored the third with a cool finish.

Morecambe came into the game after the break as United looked to first and foremost preserve their advantage.

The closest the visitors came to a goal was a shot from Jack Sampson which hit the outside of the post.

But United were more than good value for their victory, only the third at the Kassam this season, which kept them top of the division.

There were no surprises on the team sheet, with U's boss Chris Wilder picking the side which had impressed in the second half at Mansfield a week earlier.

Asa Hall and Constable replaced the injured Andy Whing and Deane Smalley, just as they had during the 3-1 win at Field Mill.

The game started with a bang, as both sides gifted the other a glorious chance to score.

In the fourth minute, Shrimps goalkeeper Barry Roche played Stewart Drummond into trouble 25 yards out. Dave Kitson tackled the midfielder and instead of shooting himself the striker's attempted lay-off for Williams fell to Constable, who shot over on the turn.

Morecambe then had a great chance themselves, as U's skipper Johnny Mullins allowed a long ball over his head. The defender left it for goalkeeper Ryan Clarke, but it was not strong enough and Kevin Ellison went through, only to see his shot deflected over by David Hunt.

After escaping, United went on to deliver their best spell of the season at home, scoring three goals in quick succession.

The action began in the 15th minute, when Michael Raynes met Hunt's free-kick with a powerful header which was well parried by Roche, but Constable was in the right place to bundle home.

If there was an element of fortune with the first goal, the next two were all about United's attacking quality.

On 24 minutes, Williams sprung the offside trap to race on to a Hunt pass and he went on to slide a perfectly-timed pass to give Rigg a tap-in at full flow.

Morecambe's patient, possession-based approach proved their undoing with the third goal.

Hall, who had been excellent, intercepted a pass on the halfway line and strode forward. He fed the lively Williams, who took a moment to steady himself before dinking a delicate finish over Roche.

It was a terrific period for the home side, who came close to a fourth goal when Hall's flicked header at a corner came back off the bar.

Morecambe had come back from three goals down at half time to beat Chesterfield 4-3 in October and they began the second half brightly.

Clarke spilled a Ryan Williams free-kick but the goalkeeper reacted well to block Ellison's follow-up shot.

Just before the hour a neat move teed up Jack Sampson, whose low shot beat Clarke but cannoned off the post and bounced clear.

The visitors were again caught in possession in their own half, allowing United to quickly move the ball and set up Rigg.

The winger's shot was saved, but the exertion saw him go down in pain and he was quickly replaced by Callum O'Dowda.

Morecambe continued to have more of the ball, but struggled to get in behind a well organised defence.

They were limited to efforts from long range, which Clarke was able to deal with relatively comfortably.

As the minutes ebbed away so did the visitors' hopes of finding a way back into the game and United saw out the closing stages comfortably.

Oxford Utd: Clarke, Hunt, Raynes, Mullins, Newey, Williams (Davies 85), Hall, Rose, Rigg (O'Dowda 66), Kitson (Marsh 89), Constable.

Unused subs: Crocombe, Long, Bevans, Ruffels.

Morecambe: Roche, Wright, Hughes, Parrish (McCready 86), Diagne, Drummond, Fleming, Amond, Williams, Ellison (Redshaw 78), Sampson (Marshall 62).

Unused subs: Arestidou, Threlfall, Kenyon, Mwasile.

Referee: Gary Sutton (Lincolnshire).

Attendance: 4,871 (92 visitors).

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/10830758._/?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Swansea beat Fulham 2-1 to put Martin Jol under more pressure

Swansea battled to a deserved 2-1 win over Fulham at Craven Cottage, leaving the future of Cottagers boss Martin Jol in even more doubt.

After a heavy 4-0 loss to Liverpool last time out, Fulham were hoping to revive their league fortunes, having fallen into the relegation places with just three victories to their name.

They fell behind just after the hour, however, when Alejandro Pozuelo's driven low delivery created confusion in the Fulham backline, and in particular Aaron Hughes, who inexplicably tapped into his own goal.

Fulham responded quickly as the excellent Scott Parker lobbed Michel Vorm in fortunate circumstances, but substitute Jonjo Shelvey's excellent late effort condemned Fulham to yet another defeat.

It was the Welsh side's first victory since October 19 and one which looked unlikely as the managerial shake-up at Craven Cottage began brightly, with new head coach Rene Meulensteen's arrival looking to complement Jol.

Darren Bent perhaps should have put the hosts ahead in the first half, with two chances on the half-hour mark as both sides looked solid early on.

The on-loan striker's first chance was put on exquisitely by Parker, whose sumptuous chip played him in, but he could only skew his header wide.

Just four minutes later, an optimistic long ball was pumped forward towards the Swansea defence. Chico was first there to deal with it, but he misjudged his header, placing it instead into the path of Bent who smashed his effort against the post.

Berbatov tried an audacious scissor-kick on the turn in the opening minutes, albeit from an offside position, and Pajtim Kasami, one of few bright sparks in their poor start, felt he should have had an early penalty.

Fulham continued to press for an early goal and centre-back Fernando Amorebieta impressively hooked an effort over his shoulder, which may have looked unnatural but was close to the returning Vorm's goal.

Play soon swung the other way, with Roland Lamah hitting wide and Wilfried Bony failing with a header before Pozuelo robbed the ball off Derek Boateng and played through Nathan Dyer. The diminutive winger looked set to score with a fierce low strike, only for Maarten Stekelenburg to make a wonderful save with his feet.

Swansea continued in the ascendancy after half-time and Bony showed excellent poise and control, before lashing across the face of goal.

Their dominance finally paid off when Pozuelo's low ball in was turned into his own net by Hughes.

It was nearly two soon after as Swansea broke forward, with Pozuelo again the creator but Dyer was denied by a late block.

If there was a touch of fortune about Swansea's goal, however, Fulham took it a step further with the equaliser.

A corner was played short to the influential Parker, who was captaining Fulham for the first time. The midfielder clipped the ball into the area but misjudged the delivery, and it lofted over the waiting players - including Swansea goalkeeper Vorm - to nestle into the corner of the net.

With time running out and Fulham looking to hold on to a vital point, Swansea continued to battle forward in the hope of snatching a first league victory for a month.

It came on 80 minutes. Substitute Shelvey burst forward through a previously solid Fulham defence to curl a great effort past Stekelenburg, leaving the home side rooted in the relegation places and putting manager Jol under yet more pressure.

It was a sucker punch for Fulham and one they were unable to respond to, despite ramping up the pressure in the closing stages.

It was no surprise, therefore, to hear 'Jol out' chanted by many, with only a late Steve Sidwell block preventing the scoreline getting even worse in stoppage time when Shelvey took the ball past Stekelenburg.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/287399/report?

WhiteJC

Fulham 1 Swansea City 2: match report
Read a full match report of the Premier League game between Fulham and Swansea City at Craven Cottage on Saturday Nov 23, 2013.

Robin van Persie believes Rene Muelensteen is one of the best coaches in the world – he will need to be if his new employers are to extend their stay in the Premier League.

Current Fulham manager Martin Jol conceded that "you can't change the world in one week," when speaking of his fellow Dutchman's influence, but given his side's poor form, change will have to come soon if they are to stay in the Premier League.

Thry fell to their fifth defeat in succession after Jonjo Shelvey jinked his way to the edge of the area before curling a shot into the top corner, instigating chants of "we want Jol out" from the home faithful. "Nobody enjoys that," was Jol's post-match response

"First-half they were behind us because they could see us playing with a good rhythm and create a few chances but when you lose you get that sort of criticism," he admitted. "We tried something with the spine of the team that we'd worked on for eight days and it should have come off in the first-half. Instead of being 2-0 up, it was 0-0 at half-time."

Before Shelvey's intervention, the Cottagers looked to have done enough to earn a point when Scott Parker, having replaced the languorous Dimitar Berbatov as captain, conjured an equaliser which began life as a cross but ended up beating Michel Vorm.

Though Jol bore the brunt of the fans' ire, his players were equally culpable, and the Fulham manager admitted that part of Meuelensteen's brief was that he wanted to get the best out of Berbatov. "It didn't pay off today," was his kind way of shielding the Bulgarian from criticism.

This game saw the meeting of two sides short on form and confidence and Michael Laudrup was relieved to have arrested his side's slide.

"It was a very, very, very important game for both of us," said the Swansea manager. "I think the performance for the last 20 minutes of the first half and all of the second half was excellent."

With Parker leading the way, Fulham were at least spirited but attacking progress for both sides was too often effete and vapid, resulting in little goalmouth action until Darren Bent headed Parker's well-judged cross into the side-netting after half an hour.

Bent came even closer just moments later when Chico Flores' wayward header fell to him but the striker's half-volley cannoned back off the post.

Swansea have clearly been troubled by the absence of Michu and their best chance of a drab first-half came as Alejandro Pozuelo robbed Derek Boateng before playing in Nathan Dyer, whose driven cross-shot was superbly saved by the legs of Maarten Stekelenburg.

The visitors were gifted the lead shortly after half-time when Aaron Hughes turned Roland Lamah's low cross beyond his own keeper to increase the home angst.

The Swans, now buoyant, poured forward and Wilfried Bony ought to have extended their lead but the tireless Parker intervened to provide some home cheer.

The fragility of Fulham's rearguard again proved their undoing, though Shelvey's fleet of foot and delicate finish was a worthy winner.

Jol has high hopes for his partnership with Muelensteen but he may not be around to see it if those booing at the end of the contest have their way.

"I feel sorry for Jol," said Laudrup. "It's is always easier to change one manager than 10, 15 or 20 players, but we know that when we go into the job."

Fulham (4-4-1-1): Stekelenburg 6; Zverotic, 6 Hughes 5, Amorebieta 5, Richardson 6; Ruiz 5 (Kacaniklic 77), Parker 7 (Taarabt 85), Boateng 5 (Sidwell 60), Kasami 5; Berbatov 5, Bent 6. Subs: Stockdale, Senderos, Dejagah, Dembele. Booked: Boateng, Kasami, Hughes

Swansea (4-1-4-1): Vorm 6; Rangel 6, Williams 7, Flores 6, Davies 7; Canas 7; Dyer 6 (Shelvey 59), Pozuelo 6 (Vasquez 90), De Guzman 7, Lamah 7 (Tiendalli 85); Bony 6. Subs: Tremmel, Amat, Taylor, Britton. Booked: Davies

Referee: A Mariner (Warwickshire)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10466335/Fulham-1-Swansea-City-2-match-report.html

WhiteJC

Fulham deeper in trouble

Fulham were left facing the prospect of a long Premier League relegation battle after a disappointing 2-1 home defeat to Swansea on Saturday.

Substitue Jonjo Shelvey's winner 10 minutes from time at Craven Cottage cemented Fulham's place in the bottom three and they are now looking over their shoulders at Crystal Palace, just three points below them after winning at Hull and level with bottom club Sunderland.

In a dull first half, with chances very much at a premium, Swansea had the lion's share of possession but little more to show for it, beyond a Natahn Dyer header in the 31st minute from Roland Lamah's cross which sailed over the bar.

Fulham's only real reply was Dimitar Berbatov's header from Bryan Ruiz's cross which flew wide two minutes later.

The second half started in much trhe same vein, with Lamah screwing a left fot shot wide three minutes in after being set up by Ben Davies.

Swansea's pressure finally paid off 10 minutes into the half, but it took an Aaron Hughes own goal to break the deadlock.

Hughes' miserable afternoon took a further turn for the worse six minutes later when he went into the book for a bad foul on Wilfried Bony.

But out of the blue Fulham conjured up a 63rd minute equaliser when Ruiz's corner was floated in and Scott Parker deilled a right footed shot into the top left hand corner from the right of the area.

Bony had a rapid chance to restore the Swans' lead but his low left foot shot was saved by Maarten Stekelenburg as he got down smartly to his left.

Shelvey, on for Dyer, finally found a winning touch with just over 10 minutes go, latching on to Lamah's pass and firing a powerful shot from outside the area into the top right hand corner and even Darren Bent's injury time header failed to save the day for Fulham.

AFP

http://sport.iafrica.com/soccer/888574.html

WhiteJC

More jeers for Jol as Fulham lose again

Fulham 1 Swansea City 2

Under-fire manager Martin Jol was again barracked by fans after substitute Jonjo Shelvey's scorching late winner condemned Fulham to their fourth straight league defeat.

The former Liverpool midfielder wriggled away from Steve Sidwell with 10 minutes to go and fired high into the top corner after the Whites had battled back from 1-0 down.

Scott Parker had bagged the equaliser with his first goal for the club – an intended cross that drifted into the far corner on 66 minutes.

Defender Aaron Hughes had inadvertently put Swansea into a deserved lead shortly after half-time with the Whites' second own goal in as many games.

Despite a first defeat since the appointment of Rene Meulensteen as head coach alongside Jol, Fulham looked an improved side in the first half.

Darren Bent, one of four changes to team thrashed at Liverpool last time out, had two glorious opportunities to fire them into the lead.

The on-loan Aston Villa striker sent an unmarked header wide of the far post before firing a volley against the near post from close range.

And strike partner Dimitar Berbatov had an excellent chance of his own with a header he sent wide from Bryan Ruiz's corner.

Swansea dominated the second half before Hughes shinned the ball into his own net from Alex Pozuelo's cross.

Fulham fought back and it was unclear whether Parker intended to find the top corner with his effort from just inside the area.

But there was little keeper Maarten Stekelenburg could do when Shelvey sent a ferocious effort into the top corner with 10 minutes left.

Once again there were loud boos and chants of "Jol out" at the final whistle, as Fulham lost for the fourth time in six games at Craven Cottage.

Fulham (4-2-3-1): Stekelenburg; Zverotic, Hughes, Amorebieta, Richardson; Parker (Taarabt 86), Boateng (Sidwell 60), Kasami, Ruiz (Kacaniklic 77); Berbatov, Bent
Subs not used: Stockdale, Senderos, Karagounis, Dembele, Dejagah

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-v-swansea-city-match-report-837211?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss responds to fans' heckles after Swansea loss

Fulham fans turned on manager Martin Jol and his players after Swansea condemned the west London side to a fifth successive defeat in all competitions.

There had been a feel-good factor around Craven Cottage early on, with a promising start by the Whites complementing the recent appointment of highly-rated Rene Meulensteen as head coach.

However, that positive atmosphere turned poisonous as Swansea grew into the game, with supporters making their feelings known to under-fire Jol and his players during the 2-1 defeat.

'Jol out' rung out as time was called on the Whites' latest loss, with that anger continuing to spill over as he trudged across from the managers' bench to the tunnel.

"It is not the nicest period of my life, I have to say," Jol said.

"I can understand [the fans' anger], of course. You don't enjoy that, but the first half they were behind us because they could see us playing with a good rhythm, creating a few chances.

"But the second half, if you are 1-0 down, then 1-1 and then 2-1 down, you get this sort of criticism.

"You need points, you need wins. But I think, especially in the first half, we were good enough to score three goals and we didn't.

"The only disappointing thing is if you don't score goals, you should be capable of getting a result, a 0-0 for example. That was terrible after scoring."

Jol is the bookmakers' overwhelming favourite to be the next Premier League manager to leave after this latest defeat, which keeps them in the relegation zone.

The Dutchman admits he is "not sure" whether he can turn the fans around, but is confident he can oversee an improvement in the results.

Asked what keeps him driven to succeed given the supporters' anger, Jol said: "But then somebody else has to do it and I still know these players.

"I brought a lot of players in and they know me. There is no problem in the dressing room.

"You need 40 points and Swansea, for example, would have been below us if we would have had the winner today and there is no problem over there.

"We scored their first goal for them, so what is the difference between success and failure?"

Things could have been so much different had Dimitar Berbatov or Darren Bent netted during a dominant start to proceedings.

The latter came closest by hitting the post, with Swansea taking the lead through an Aaron Hughes own goal early in the second half.

Scott Parker drew parity when a cross looped in, but Fulham were unable to hold out as substitute Jonjo Shelvey rifled home spectacularly with 10 minutes remaining.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_responds_to_fans_heckles_after_swansea_loss_1_3033998

WhiteJC

Martin Jol feeling the pressure after fifth successive defeat in all competitions

Fulham fans turned on manager Martin Jol and his players after Swansea condemned the west London side to a fifth successive defeat in all competitions.

There had been a feel-good factor around Craven Cottage early on, with a promising start by the Whites complementing the recent appointment of highly-rated Rene Meulensteen as head coach.

However, that positive atmosphere turned poisonous as Swansea grew into the game, with supporters making their feelings known to under-fire Jol and his players during the 2-1 defeat.

'Jol out' rung out as time was called on the Whites' latest loss, with that anger continuing to spill over as he trudged across from the managers' bench to the tunnel.

"It is not the nicest period of my life, I have to stay," Jol said.

"I can understand [the fans' anger], of course. You don't enjoy that, but the first half they were behind us because they could see us playing with a good rhythm, creating a few chances.

"But the second half, if you are 1-0 down, then 1-1 and then 2-1 down, you get this sort of criticism.

"You need points, you need wins. But I think, especially in the first half, we were good enough to score three goals and we didn't.

"The only disappointing thing is if you don't score goals, you should be capable of getting a result, a 0-0 for example. That was terrible after scoring."

Jol is the bookmakers' overwhelming favourite to be the next Premier League manager to leave after this latest defeat, which keeps them in the relegation zone.

The Dutchman admits he is "not sure" whether he can turn the fans around, but is confident he can oversee an improvement in the results.

Asked what keeps him driven to succeed given the supporters' anger, Jol said: "But then somebody else has to do it and I still know these players.

"I brought a lot of players in and they know me. There is no problem in the dressing room.

"You need 40 points and Swansea, for example, would have been below us if we would have had the winner today and there is no problem over there.

"We scored their first goal for them, so what is the difference between success and failure?"

Things could have been so much different had Dimitar Berbatov or Darren Bent netted during a dominant start to proceedings.

The latter came closest by hitting the post, with Swansea taking the lead through an Aaron Hughes own goal early in the second half.

Scott Parker drew parity when a cross looped in, but Fulham were unable to hold out as substitute Jonjo Shelvey rifled home spectacularly with 10 minutes remaining.

While galling for Fulham, it was a morale-boosting first three points for Swansea since October 19, propelling the Welsh side into the top half.

"Well, a win is always important," Swansea manager Michael Laudrup said.

"It was a great away win after what happened in the last game [against Stoke], when we should have won only for two points to fly away in the last second.

"We knew that Fulham would be very difficult opponents today. They have lost some games recently but they had a chance to beat us today and go above us and away from the relegation zone.

"All these things together made it a very, very, very important game for both of us.

"Us being away added little more difficulty, so apart from the win, the performance over the last 20 minutes of the first half and the whole second was excellent.

"We continued maintaining our style of possession, even in a moment where you could say maybe we should go a little more direct, more simple. We still kept doing what we always do and I think it was a great performance.

"When they scored, we had to go back but we still dominated the rest of the half, except the last four or five minutes like always.

"We got a great second goal and in the end the win, so I really have to say I am very, very pleased with the win and the performance."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/martin-jol-feeling-the-pressure-after-fifth-successive-defeat-in-all-competitions-8959619.html

WhiteJC

Swansea

This was a bit like all the other games in the end. But there was enough here that we might be confident of a better tomorrow.

1 Derek Boateng came in for Steve Sidwell. He had a fine game and did exactly what we needed him to do. All those interventions around the D – had he not been there we could have been in big trouble.

There was a moment i  the first half when Kasami lost the ball on a counter. Swansea's transition was slick, but Boateng was waiting for them. Fabulous. His selection gave us some hint that the new coaching setup is more interested in a team rather than a group of players.

When Boateng went off the game changed even more in Swansea's favour and the winner came from the area he would have been guarding. Hopefully match fitness is not far off as we need him for 90.

2 Captain Parker. A no-brainer and good to see.

3 Hughes in for Senderos is a move I like but honestly they are very even players. Hughes put Swansea ahead with an own goal, which was just one of those things, but does illustrate how different players are judged to different standards. Had Senderos put into his own net..

4 Speaking of which, here are Opta's dispossession stats: Parker 3, Kasami 3, Ruiz 3. I pointed this out on the FFC facebook page to predictable derision but again it shows how people see what they want to see in games.

Ruiz couldn't get into the game in the second half and had a teicky spell in the first but fans have an incredible habit of focusing on the negative where he is concerned. Look, he had a bad day but not that bad.  And as we know, he is having treatment for a bad back. Cut him some slack? Nah.

5 Bent did well I thought. Yes he missed a couple of chances but he got in good areas and over a season he'll put some of those away. There's a 20 goal a season striker there, which is a goal every other game. If he gets chances like this every game he will deliver. I take his performance as a big plus.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/11/23/swansea/?

WhiteJC

soccersweep thinks that Jol will be sacked

We think that it has reached breaking point with Martin Jol at Fulham. We have always rated him as a manager. Niggling reservation? Possibly too nice.

In an ideal world Jol would get the chance to work through the current difficulties he has with the club. But, in the Premier League status quo, this run of results has sacking written all over it.

The overall state of Fulham, with new owners and poor results, is extremely worrying for ardent Cottagers. From the outside looking in there appears to be a stultifying apathy running through the entire club right now – no galvanising figure like Al Fayed or Hodgson to sound a rallying cry.

If Jol does leave, Fulham need to employ a man of passion. It's ridiculous to suggest that desire alone can turn the club around. Fulham need a manager with tactical finesse – but also someone who cares enough about the club to generate some spirit around the place.

Why not ask Danny Murphy to get involved? A Liverpool man originally but a great Fulham player and a man with patent football nous.
Fulham need some inspiration right now. We believe that Martin Jol is good enough to expunge them from their current funk. But if the seemingly inevitable does come to pass then Fulham should be brave and approach Danny Murphy as their next coach.

http://soccersweep.com/soccersweep-says-that-jol-will-be-sacked/?

WhiteJC

Shelvey's screamer shoves Jol closer to the brink
by DAN on NOVEMBER 24, 2013

Swansea substitute Jonjo Shelvey's stunning 20-yard strike felt like a decisive moment – and not just because it condemned Fulham to a fifth straight defeat. Martin Jol has found himself precariously positioned atop a tightrope already during the early months of Shahid Khan's ponderous premiership, but this defeat leaves the embattled Fulham manager looking anxiously over the edge with an undoubted six-pointer at West Ham to come next Saturday.

The arrival of former Manchester United head coach Rene Meulensteen was designed to deliver a more adventurous and confident Fulham than the side that has looked alarming brittle since mid-August, and for a while, it looked as if the move might bring instantaneous results. Having made four changes to the eleven so painfully pulverised at Anfield a fortnight ago, Jol's side made the brighter beginning. The outstanding Scott Parker, skippering the side for the first time, set the tone with a driving run and shot that tested the returning Michel Vorm and the lively Pajtim Kasami saw his claims for a penalty waved away by referee Andre Marriner.

It was on-loan striker Darren Bent that spurned the game's two most glorious openings, however, in the space of three minutes. First, he failed to find the target with a header having spun away from the Swansea defence to reach a peach of a pass from Parker and, then, rattled the far post from fifteen yards after a dreadful mistake from Chico Flores left the England international with only Vorm to beat. Bent's partnership with Dimitar Berbatov has failed to fire this seas0n – and the striker's profligacy would prove costly.

Swansea, on a barren run of draws themselves, were pensive and oddly off-colour for much of the first half, perhaps owing to the absence of Michu and Pablo Hernandez. Michael Laudrup's side still managed to offer ominous signs in the shape of Roland Lamah's deflected drive that drifted narrowly wide and, then, just before the break, Nathan Dyer failed to profit when the otherwise industrious Derek Boateng donated possession to the visitors twice in the blink of an eye. The forward sauntered into the Fulham box but was thwarted by a fabulous reaction save from Maarten Stekelenburg, who rushed out to narrow the angle.

It was the visitors who awoke from their slumber to produce a dominant second-half showing. Swansea's passing was snappier after the break and, with Jonathan De Guzman and full-back Ben Davies increasingly influential, Laudrup's men began to take a grip on the contest. Their opening goal was uncharacteristically scrappy, despite the intelligent interplay between Angel Rangel and Lamah that led to Aaron Hughes inadvertently poking the latter's low cross into his own net after it eluded the lunging Flores.

There followed a fitful ten minutes that saw Swansea's pretty passing patterns threaten to put the game beyond their hosts, only for Fulham to somehow fashion the unlikeliest of equalisers. Two years since he scored his last goal, Parker received a short corner from Bryan Ruiz and his clipped cross floated into the top corner with Vorm grasping at air. Parker's joy was evident as he wheeled away to celebrate with the Johnny Haynes Stand, but Fulham failed to build on their slice of fortune.

Swansea looked the stronger as time ticked by and, although Stekelenburg produced a fine save to keep out Bony's low drive, he was left helpless by Shelvey's superb winner. The substitute smartly stepped away from two would-be challengers before curling a classy finish into the top corner from just outside the box. It was no more than Swansea's stellar second half merited – and the scoreline might have had a more emphatic look had Shelvey not dithered after rounding Stekelenburg in stoppage time, allowing Steve Sidwell to step in.

A large number of Fulham fans made their feelings plain well before the final whistle confirmed their side's fate – and Jol must now hope he gets the chance to arrest their alarming slide at Upton Park.

FULHAM (4-3-1-2): Stekelenburg; Zverotic, Richardson, Hughes, Amorebieta; Boateng (Sidwell 60), Parker (Taraabt 86), Kasami; Ruiz (Kacaniklic 77); Berbatov, Bent. Subs (not used): Stockdale, Senderos, Dejagah, Dembele.

BOOKED: Boateng, Kasami, Hughes.

GOAL: Parker (64).

SWANSEA CITY (4-3-3): Vorm; Rangel, Davies, Flores, Williams; De Guzman, Canas, Lamah (Tiendalli 85); Dyer (Shelvey 59), Pozuelo (Alvaro 90), Bony. Subs (not used): Tremmel, Amat, Taylor, Britton.

BOOKED: Davies.

GOALS: Hughes (o.g. 56, Shelvey 80).

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/11/shelveys-screamer-shoves-jol-closer-to-the-brink/?